Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I like Hyden. gently caress off haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Let's not forget that Chuck Klosterman wrote 10k words on KISS on that website

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Just gonna drop this paragraph from the TCU story in here to make everyone cringe:

"Look at Buddy Dike, number 38, just behind old Abe. He's the Frogs' starting fullback and inside linebacker, and he's just gotten a good look at Jim Brown's 46-inch chest and 32-inch waist in warmups. Doctors advised Buddy never to play football again after he ruptured a kidney tackling another phenom of the era, Penn State's Lenny Moore, two years earlier. The kidney healed and hemorrhaged four more times, doubling Buddy over with pain, making blood gush out his urethra, bringing him within a whisker of bleeding to death, yet here he is, with a look on his face that might not be seen again until the day he loses his 18-year-old son in a car wreck."

Anyone who has ever experienced a kidney stone probably realizes this pain.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Groucho Marxist posted:

10K words that, at no point, made any argument that KISS's music was good or interesting or important. Which would be OK (you can argue that KISS is important because of the way they embody and personify certain hard-rock cliches about how a band should look and act) but he spent 90% of that article reviewing their albums and solo projects, one by one.

Patrick Bateman made a better case for Huey Lewis and the News in one brief movie scene than Klosterman did in 10K words about KISS.

Wesley Morris's movie reviews are pretty good, though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I used to really like Hyden until I read his Grantland review of Damon Albarn's solo album. Wherein he stated that it was the first time he had ever listened to anything Albarn had ever done, because he was an Oasis fan in high school.

I don't expect you to give up personal biases when you become a writer, and he admitted his bias was dumb and unfounded... but you've got to be loving kidding me.

He's been a professional music/rock critic for 10+ years and hasn't ever listened to a single Blur or Gorillaz song? How loving thickheaded can you be to not only willingly do that, but admit it as well?

It just annihilated all of his credibility to me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

I used to really like Hyden until I read his Grantland review of Damon Albarn's solo album. Wherein he stated that it was the first time he had ever listened to anything Albarn had ever done, because he was an Oasis fan in high school.

I don't expect you to give up personal biases when you become a writer, and he admitted his bias was dumb and unfounded... but you've got to be loving kidding me.

He's been a professional music/rock critic for 10+ years and hasn't ever listened to a single Blur or Gorillaz song? How loving thickheaded can you be to not only willingly do that, but admit it as well?

The BritPop wars were serious poo poo man

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Blast Fantasto posted:

He agrees with you that it was dumb so I don't get what you're angry about. And just because you review stuff doesn't mean you listen to literally every single thing that's been released.

The dumber thing is that he is writing about Damon Albarn in 2014.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MourningView posted:

He agrees with you that it was dumb so I don't get what you're angry about. And just because you review stuff doesn't mean you listen to literally every single thing that's been released.

There's a difference between not reviewing every single thing and deliberate avoiding every thing an artist touches because of some made up grudge. Particularly when some of that stuff (Gorillaz) had a significant impact on pop/rock music during the time in which you were a paid music critic.

It's not like he was like "Welp, I just don't have the time to listen to these popular, important albums."

Robert Christgau isn't the end-all of rock critics, but he certainly listened to a lot of garbage he hated for the sake of reviewing it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Not really, the album was critically well received and had a fair bit of anticipation amongst Blur and Gorillaz fans.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I seriously doubt Hyden had never listened to Gorillaz and it was probably just another one of those failed frat-humor type things Grantland does far too often where they try to play the "wink wink I'm one of you" card. Simmons is terrible with that poo poo and it influences other stuff on there too.

I couldn't care less about Hyden and I rarely read his work but I can't say it's ever come off as anything more than simply uninteresting for me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is not sports journalism in the slightest but presumably he has heard the same Gorillaz songs everyone else has heard, he just didn't dive deep into their albums and let someone else at wherever he was reviewing albums handle that. Which seems fine because the Gorillaz are super boring aside from the dumb cartoon gimmick.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I seriously doubt Hyden had never listened to Gorillaz and it was probably just another one of those failed frat-humor type things Grantland does far too often where they try to play the "wink wink I'm one of you" card. Simmons is terrible with that poo poo and it influences other stuff on there too.

I couldn't care less about Hyden and I rarely read his work but I can't say it's ever come off as anything more than simply uninteresting for me.

Yeah. Steve Hyden definitely looks like the type of guy who was a major frat bro. Keep in mind he wrote at the avclub for years covering television and film as well.

A lot of you guys seem very confused about Grantland and its place on the internet. It is ostensibly a spin off from Page 2 and the ESPN mother ship but its pretty much operating on its own. It has its own offices in Downtown Los Angeles. They have two distinct but occasionally intertwining factions within Grantland. Sports and Pop Culture. Grantland has a pretty solid stable of young and more experienced writers. You don't want pop culture stuff? Click 'The Triangle'. You only want pop culture? Click Hollywood Prospectus. Just my opinion but they have some of the strongest writing about pop culture on the internet. Granted the bar is not particularly high but they do a good job. They have some great sports writers. Sure, Lowe and Barnwall are prickly but they write some good poo poo that tries to cut through a lot of the jabber that most other sports writers employ. It's not perfect. But I go there every day and listen to their podcasts. And ever since most of the writers of the AVCLUB jetted to create The Dissolve, Grantland in my opinion probably has the best overall pop culture musings of any major website out there.

I'll also defend Hyden as a pretty good writer. I like Klosterman too. He's somewhat hit and miss but I appreciate that he brings in a different view point at times, seems to genuinely love college football, and will challenge Simmons when he appears on the podcast when Simmons says things that are untrue.

Also while I don't read everything they put up, I love seeing the comments on certain articles. I like when they explicitly state this is a troll article up top like when Hyden wrote how he loves the Packers and talked poo poo about the Bears and yet everyone in the comments was screaming how biased it was. Or when any woman on staff writes a pop culture piece, which is what they cover, and someone complains about how "some dumb woman is writing about some stupid show. Get back to sports Grantland!" Completely exposing how stupid they are.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 4, 2014

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm not going to claim that it's against the rules to defend Chuck Klosterman's writing anywhere on SA, let alone the sports forum of all places, but I am going to claim that it should be

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crion posted:

I'm not going to claim that it's against the rules to defend Chuck Klosterman's writing anywhere on SA, let alone the sports forum of all places, but I am going to claim that it should be

When he had Kirk Herbstreit on and he asked him about concussions it was funny how Klosterman pushed him when Herbstreit tried to dance around the question.

Also I loved this article: http://grantland.com/features/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands/

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Klosterman is the Rick Reilly of music journalism. Depending on any given week, it's somewhat to extremely blatant he's been coasting since he got mainstream recognition and has devolved stylistically into self-parody. This is something of a disservice to Reilly, though, given that he was actually an excellent writer many moons ago.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's the loving worst

http://nypress.com/the-flip-flop-king/ Here's a really great evisceration by Mark Ames.

quote:

Klosterman’s
newest book is all the proof you’ll ever need of the existence of Klosterman’s
WMD prose. The cute title alone should tell you to arm yourself and U-Haul it
to Idaho: Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, with the added asterisked footnote:
"A Low Culture Manifesto." He’s not throwing a curve ball here.
The content is really just as disgustingly cute–or "snarky,"
to use one of Klosterman’s favorite mainstream-alternative 90s neologisms–as
the title suggests.

But "low
culture"? I didn’t know intellectuals, even Beigeist morons like Klosterman,
could get away with using phrases like "high" and "low"
culture anymore. Even ironically.

Klosterman
and his type are one of the reasons why I went into exile (I’m writing
this from Moscow). I wanted out of a paradigm in which his type dominated the
narrative when in fact his type should be rotting in a death camp, begging for
a clump of grass to suck on. I understood 10 years ago that fighting against
the Klostermans in America is utterly pointless: Klosterman is the metaphor,
the designated heir of everything horribly American, precisely because he’s
stupid, shameless and hokey.

soggybagel posted:

They have two distinct but occasionally intertwining factions within Grantland. Sports and Pop Culture. Grantland has a pretty solid stable of young and more experienced writers. You don't want pop culture stuff? Click 'The Triangle'. You only want pop culture? Click Hollywood Prospectus. Just my opinion but they have some of the strongest writing about pop culture on the internet. Granted the bar is not particularly high but they do a good job.

Aside from not using terrible puns, tell me why anything they write about pop culture rises above the level of Entertainment Weekly pap. And the wrestling guy doesn't count, because wrestling is real.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 4, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love Wesley Morris' stuff, but that's about it as far as the pop culture section. I do think it's amazing how many words Andy Greenwald can write without actually saying anything, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I love Wesley Morris' stuff, but that's about it as far as the pop culture section. I do think it's amazing how many words Andy Greenwald can write without actually saying anything, though.

He writes hella food metaphors.

Anyway in terms of pop culture stuff, Alex Pappademas is also generally really good.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 4, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Mark Ames seems awfully angry. I don't know. Maybe I self identify with Klosterman a bit more than I should. His so called hick posturing rings true to me. I spent the early part of my life in small town middle America in a farming community. His statements to that regard ring awfully true and funny. He himself has admitted that things he wrote earlier on and even today are foolish. But I don't really know what you want me to say here about him. I like his writing. I can't really defend or counter someones opinion when it boils down to "He is the worst" other than I disagree. People's largest criticism against him is always he is intentionally picking view points that will conflict with the popular opinion, so gently caress him. I don't believe that to be true. He largely believes in the populism of mass culture. He wrote as a rock critic for a long time and I think something that I always viewed as refreshing is that he was self aware to realize this: http://www.theonion.com/articles/history-of-rock-written-by-the-losers,736/

Though I see humor in Ames closing lines. Time makes things look funny. Stay safe in the realm of the real. Moscow.

The populism comes down to, if you were growing up and Bon Jovi was the soundtrack to your youth, it doesn't make your time, nostalgia, and youthful memories any less significant because it was soundtracked to Bon Jovi than if you were a brooding teen listening to The Smiths. And to wrap this into sports, Klosterman brings a pretty straightforward view of fandom. In fact if he was posting on these boards he'd fit right in. So I guess that's my defense. I don't feel strongly enough to get upset if someone hates him. Just don't read it I guess.

In regards to the pop culture coverage at large. It's largely throw-away, but so is the nature of a lot of it now. Especially in the recap world. I think their show recaps are serviceable. I appreciate they have several younger women as editors/staff writers and really, I don't mind trash culture nearly as much as some of you so its fun to listen to/read recaps of The Challenge. I skim the pop culture stuff every day. And yeah MourningView is right. Pappademas is a pretty good writer. Even something as garish and strange as Paul Walker's death turned into a fascinating article. One guy I've never understood is Rembert Browne. He's on the grantland payroll and ostensibly gets to just travel and put together 200 word articles that mean nothing.

I guess I don't understand people's anger and aversion to Grantland. IF you hate it so much don't loving go. Me, I like it. I think my daily internet reading routine is better than when Grantland didn't exist. That's just me.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

WEREWAIF posted:

He's the loving worst

http://nypress.com/the-flip-flop-king/ Here's a really great evisceration by Mark Ames.

mark ames hating klosterman makes me more inclined to like klosterman

also list of journalists mark ames doesn't hate:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

soggybagel posted:

Mark Ames seems awfully angry. I don't know. Maybe I self identify with Klosterman a bit more than I should. His so called hick posturing rings true to me. I spent the early part of my life in small town middle America in a farming community. His statements to that regard ring awfully true and funny. He himself has admitted that things he wrote earlier on and even today are foolish. But I don't really know what you want me to say here about him. I like his writing. I can't really defend or counter someones opinion when it boils down to "He is the worst" other than I disagree. People's largest criticism against him is always he is intentionally picking view points that will conflict with the popular opinion, so gently caress him. I don't believe that to be true. He largely believes in the populism of mass culture. He wrote as a rock critic for a long time and I think something that I always viewed as refreshing is that he was self aware to realize this: http://www.theonion.com/articles/history-of-rock-written-by-the-losers,736/

Though I see humor in Ames closing lines. Time makes things look funny. Stay safe in the realm of the real. Moscow.

The populism comes down to, if you were growing up and Bon Jovi was the soundtrack to your youth, it doesn't make your time, nostalgia, and youthful memories any less significant because it was soundtracked to Bon Jovi than if you were a brooding teen listening to The Smiths. And to wrap this into sports, Klosterman brings a pretty straightforward view of fandom. In fact if he was posting on these boards he'd fit right in. So I guess that's my defense. I don't feel strongly enough to get upset if someone hates him. Just don't read it I guess.

In regards to the pop culture coverage at large. It's largely throw-away, but so is the nature of a lot of it now. Especially in the recap world. I think their show recaps are serviceable. I appreciate they have several younger women as editors/staff writers and really, I don't mind trash culture nearly as much as some of you so its fun to listen to/read recaps of The Challenge. I skim the pop culture stuff every day. And yeah MourningView is right. Pappademas is a pretty good writer. Even something as garish and strange as Paul Walker's death turned into a fascinating article. One guy I've never understood is Rembert Browne. He's on the grantland payroll and ostensibly gets to just travel and put together 200 word articles that mean nothing.

I guess I don't understand people's anger and aversion to Grantland. IF you hate it so much don't loving go. Me, I like it. I think my daily internet reading routine is better than when Grantland didn't exist. That's just me.

soggybagel why do you write so many words about middling journalism

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Declan MacManus posted:

Generally you pay for print ad copy by the word

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

morestuff posted:

Yeah pretty much...the rest of it is bland. At least Morris does good movie reviews.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Declan MacManus posted:

Why not? It took five minutes.

Or is this the classic, ask a question, get an answer, respond by suggesting the person who responded needs to "get a life" or "lighten up."

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Grantland's reality tv coverage is good, Zach Lowe is good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

He writes hella food metaphors.

Anyway in terms of pop culture stuff, Alex Pappademas is also generally really good.

Yeah, Pappademas is pretty good, as is their podcast. Morris sounds distractingly like Paul F Tompkins, though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Alex Pappademas is pretty good, I agree. Although his writing is good no matter what it's about.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

mark ames hating klosterman makes me more inclined to like klosterman

also list of journalists mark ames doesn't hate:

He hates hacks and shills? Are you a fan of Matt Yglesias, out for revenge?

I don't want to derail anymore since this isn't about sports, but it's all laid out here. http://shameproject.com/

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 4, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

This is not sports journalism in the slightest but presumably he has heard the same Gorillaz songs everyone else has heard, he just didn't dive deep into their albums and let someone else at wherever he was reviewing albums handle that. Which seems fine because the Gorillaz are super boring aside from the dumb cartoon gimmick.
So is Damon Albarn, his music puts me to fuckin sleep.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I do not especially like Klosterman as a writer (I do generally enjoy him as a podcast guest), but that Ames thing everyone quotes when he comes up is way more irritating than just about anything Klosterman has ever written.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Would it make you feel better if I just said that Chuck Klosterman's writing makes me feel like he's jerking off his hairy weenie onto the retina screen of my iphone? And the worst part of this jerk is that he's jerking about some mass culture thing that he's pretending has special value and is precious to him.

I think it's a duty to oppose that sort of blandness, if we don't it'll wash over us, and we'll all be 40 year old men wearing rock band tees, formless jeans, no belt, and converse sneakers. We'll have permanently stuffy noses, even though we're old enough to buy cold and cough products containing dxm, which could easily unstuff our noses. It's no good man, it's bad, to me it's bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think he's very good and generally find his whole "blandly lovely pop culture thing from my youth was actually great and you're snobby and wrong for hating it" thing to be pretty tiresome. I just think spending like four paragraphs literally calling him a butthole is probably a not great way to go about making that point.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 5, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

morestuff posted:

I do think it's amazing how many words Andy Greenwald can write without actually saying anything, though.

I think I could tolerate Greenwald if there was a Chrome extension that automatically removed the cutesy wordplay/analogies/etc from his articles, which would all be like 1/3rd as long as a result

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

I don't think he's very good and generally find his whole "blandly lovely pop culture thing from my youth was actually great and you're snobby and wrong for hating it" thing to be pretty tiresome.
Don't forget his flipside, "Thing beloved by 'hip' critics is stupid and dumb and only beloved because people are bandwagoning the current hip thing" like his article on TuneYards that earned him quite a bit of pushback a year or so ago. That was was extra special because Klosterman let his usually-sublimated misogyny off the leash for part of it, with predictable results.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

WEREWAIF posted:

He hates hacks and shills? Are you a fan of Matt Yglesias, out for revenge?

I don't want to derail anymore since this isn't about sports, but it's all laid out here. http://shameproject.com/

So the goal of SHAME seems to be "We hate everyone."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why are we talking about all this Grantland poo poo when we could be talking about Jon Bois' latest installment of NBA Y2K, "Death of the NBA"? It's a loving work of art.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why are we talking about all this Grantland poo poo when we could be talking about Jon Bois' latest installment of NBA Y2K, "Death of the NBA"? It's a loving work of art.

All is lost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

soggybagel posted:

So the goal of SHAME seems to be "We hate everyone."

If you don't hate everyone, you're loving doing it wrong.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Frackie Robinson posted:

It is the best thing I've read this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, that's a good read about an NBA video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Jon Bois is loving fantastic.