Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
272k on the Forester but the engine and transmission only have around 120k on them.

Celica has 205k on it, Volvo 245 has around 185k same as the 855.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Mat_Drinks posted:

Ahhh ok. I'm lucky in that I'm not a support monkey but a senior analyst so I'm mostly working on projects, upgrades, etc and I can basically just take more and more responsibility on until I'm basically doing the job of two to three people (I'm actually at about two people right now). If I'm going into management though I want to manage analysts before support.

Do you have your MBA yet? In my neck of the woods it's requisite if you want to be CIO/department head and is almost requisite for even being a manager.

And are there any "lead" or "supervisor" opportunities where you're at? That might be a more attainable way to keep stepping up.

My wife is an analyst now and is on track to be in a position to be my boss in only a few years, it's fascinating. Luckily, we work at different companies. I don't have an MBA, I'm still paying off my bachelors, but I also have no real expectation if getting to a C level position or directorship, I'd much rather just be a manager of a helpdesk department. I'm looking into lead and supervisor opportunities right now, something is bound to pop up. It's annoying because I have a great job that pays well with a major university and there is literally no movement here for positions. It's so nice that nobody ever leaves, so there's no opportunity for internal advancement.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I had a 93 accord with over 300k miles on it when I delivered pizza. Both rear windows didn't work, the passenger window fell out of the track if it went down more than half way, reverse was a pipe dream at best, and it burned oil faster than I could put it in. So I quit putting oil in it.

It lasted around 20k miles before I traded it for a set of tires for the civic I replaced it with. It was still running when I got rid of it too. Not a bit of rust either. Final mileage was 303xxx

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The odometer on my E30 stopped at 218,939 at least 4 years ago since the same mileage is listed on the sticker for the last timing belt replacement. Who knows how many miles it's up to by now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The odometer fix isn't too hard to do, garagistic.com sells kits to replace the broken gears.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
245,000mi on the mint condition 87 Mazda 323 wagon, 225,500mi on the Saturn (burns 3qt/1000mi drat DOHC), and my 92 Daihatsu Rocky is at 212,000mi. My 78 Subaru has something like 50,500 on it. Or 150,500, or 850,500. Not sure.

1973 Case 350D tractor has 1168 hours, that is pretty low hours!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

CharlesM posted:

Why can't you get Warcraft 2 anymore? :(

I just chucked my discs for that game last week because I haven't played it in years. :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The best part about doing service work as opposed to being on a big job is that if we finish early we can hide and drive around the rest of the day. Eating lunch at the hospital cafeteria right now. So many god drat sexy rear end nurses here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The best part about doing service work as opposed to being on a big job is that if we finish early we can hide and drive around the rest of the day. Eating lunch at the hospital cafeteria right now. So many god drat sexy rear end nurses here.

During the summer I would say a good 50-75% of my day is just tooling around campus or chilling out in one of the half dozen empty buildings. Nothing gets broken when the students aren't here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I was just terminating some CAT5e on a bunch of patch panels from 2001. The plastic pieces crumbled in my hands like toilet paper. All while I'm standing on top of a UPS battery behind the rack on obe foot because its 8 inches off the wall.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

The odometer fix isn't too hard to do, garagistic.com sells kits to replace the broken gears.

Yeah it's about number 10 on my list of things to fix at this point

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
2000 4Runner has 232k miles, 91 Corolla has 219k. The 6 only has 62k, but we put 1800 miles on it just last week driving to Missouri and back.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
My E30 had 260,000 miles... When the odo broke ~3 years ago.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
sold my 460k volvo 245, so now I just have a 257k 244 and a 220k 245

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miata just turned over like 211k. Doesn't count because the only thing that is original is the tub, half of the doors, the carpet, the fuel system, most of the brake hardlines, and like the diff bushings.

Also, I told some idiot on miata.net today to stop being a moron, and now I'm a ghost.

What I originally posted:

quote:

Who gives a poo poo? You've (note: the OP) done nothing but whine and complain about the ND. You're not going to buy one, so stop concern trolling all of the time and like pick up woodworking or something.

And then he started to PM me:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

I know of 3 friends that are still in my home town.

One is actually making a decent living in real estate (rental properties) - the guy nobody thought would go anywhere. He graduated at the bottom of the class. Decent guy, total meathead. Out of everyone I've stayed in touch with from my home town, that's still in my home town, he's done the best by far.

The valedictorian of my class is morbidly obese (less than 5', around 250 lbs), on welfare, with a deadbeat husband that hasn't worked in 5 years. She has a nursing degree, but since they have 2 kids and can't afford day care or sitters, it's hard for her to work. Their house is classic hoarder as well, you literally cannot see the floor anywhere in the entire house. I'm not a neat guy by any means, but every time I visit, I feel so bad for their kids.

The 3rd is 34... and AFAIK, has never had a job, nor has he ever moved out of his parents house. He graduated the year after I did.

(my graduating class was less than 20, yay tiny schools)

Others from my high school: one is a cop in Arizona (he was a bully in school, we're actually somewhat-friends now); another became a carnie, then settled into restaurant management up north. He just got canned from that; he was almost my stepbrother at one point too.

It must be depressing for you to go back there.

It feels weird being the only one left here. In one hand, I'm happy for them. For the most part, they're all doctors, lawyers, or engineers and they're off doing better things. It's not like I'm doing badly myself, I work at a software company. I don't know how to describe it. I also never thought I'd come back here after college but who does?

In unrelated notes, I took my girlfriends car into the shop. It's a 1997 grand am. We were scared taking it in and they called me back this afternoon. It needs almost $2000 worth of work. She doesn't have the money for that, not that the car is really worth fixing to begin with, nor the money to get a new car.

Any suggestions? I can't remember the specifics but it needs a new water pump, some suspension work, and something with the steering wheel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

And then he started to PM me:

My response to an "argument" of "I earn more than you" is "No, you're paid more than me. You're not an engineer, meaning your work has no value, so you don't get to use the term 'earn' regardless of your income".

Cue complete and utter meltdown of impotent rage. Your technique is quite correct, just keep prodding them until they totally lose their poo poo.

mariooncrack posted:

Any suggestions? I can't remember the specifics but it needs a new water pump, some suspension work, and something with the steering wheel.
Find $2k somewhere. Or fix it yourself for :20bux:. Could be either. Can you dig out their actual quote and list everything they've said?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Most of the kids I hung out with in middle school and the first half of high school still live in town. In fact, I live with 3 of them. Most of my friends from the later part of high school settled in Colorado or North Carolina.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The guy who runs FocalJet lives here in town. He now drives an Abarth and upon being called out for he made the same "I could beat your rear end" comment and even invited the guy to come see him. FJ dude got his loving rear end kicked.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I used to browse FocalJet all the time when I had my Focus and that's loving hilarious. Are there any screencaps or anything like that I can laugh at?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I loving love it when fraud protection shuts my rear end off when I try to buy gas at a full service station and leavings me looking like a dick! Love it!

Who would ever dare to buy gas at a few stations in a few days?! the nerve. Must be fraud. :jerkbag:

If I have to leave my license at this middle of nowhere gas station and drive an extra 120 miles to get it back tomorrow my next action is switching banks. gently caress this.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sup AI, today I got to learn how to operate heavy machinery.

Granted it's only a backhoe, but still. One more skill to add to the list of random useful things I know how to do!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

After a couple years of fence-sitting, I'm finally buying a set of PDR tools tomorrow. Complete wild-rear end guess as to whether I'll be able to learn to do it or not, but I've wanted to learn for a long time. :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

T1g4h posted:

Sup AI, today I got to learn how to operate heavy machinery.

Granted it's only a backhoe, but still. One more skill to add to the list of random useful things I know how to do!
Don't knock it. Sometimes when life goes to poo poo, being the guy who can do random stuff like this will get you back into employment over someone else. May not matter when talking about "career" level stuff, but "laid off and need something in order to eat and pay the mortgage"? It gives you options.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about the 173k on the e46. I still want to swap it for something with more character though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

After a couple years of fence-sitting, I'm finally buying a set of PDR tools tomorrow. Complete wild-rear end guess as to whether I'll be able to learn to do it or not, but I've wanted to learn for a long time. :ohdear:

From what I've seen of your paint skills, I figured you already had that in your repertoire. Good luck!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

InitialDave posted:

Don't knock it. Sometimes when life goes to poo poo, being the guy who can do random stuff like this will get you back into employment over someone else. May not matter when talking about "career" level stuff, but "laid off and need something in order to eat and pay the mortgage"? It gives you options.

Oh, don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking it. It's just one of those things I find amusing because I really do have a strange skillset. Photography, graphic design, marksmanship, trained firefighter, and now I know how to operate a backhoe. I feel like a Jack of all trades some days :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimManFat posted:

I used to browse FocalJet all the time when I had my Focus and that's loving hilarious. Are there any screencaps or anything like that I can laugh at?

No, all the threats were via PMs. He hasn't been to a Cars & Coffee meet since it happened so I can't mock him. I mean, he was a bigger dude but that doesn't count for poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

There's a reason I list auto repair, welding, roofing, plumbing, home electrical, and masonry on my resume as well as being an embedded systems engineer :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, sometimes they're very embedded systems. :colbert:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Well, sometimes they're very embedded systems. :colbert:

He doesnt work on German stuff.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Reminder that if you like Snatch, In Bruges, or just enjoy Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle as actors, you should watch The Guard.

edit: opening scene may be upsetting to the ITR owners here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

There's a reason I list auto repair, welding, roofing, plumbing, home electrical, and masonry on my resume as well as being an embedded systems engineer :v:

I am very interested in details on this. I have tried to hide my other skills in interviews and I'm not sure if that is a good idea anymore.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CountOfNowhere posted:

I am very interested in details on this. I have tried to hide my other skills in interviews and I'm not sure if that is a good idea anymore.

Same.

Unless I think my special skills specifically apply to the job I'm trying to get I keep them to myself. Maybe we've been screwing ourselves all along.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Our shop is next to a highway. (Like our parking lot shares a fence with it) I come back from a test drive to find two squad cars parked up behind mine which was closest parked to the fence. Daunted I run to my manager and ask what the gently caress!? He replies with, "I was down on the alignment rack and turn around to find a deer with its guts hanging out staring at me"
Apparently he got hit right by our shop, jumped the fence, guts dangling and all, found his way into the corner of our lot where DNR promptly came and shot him in the eyeball. The hosed up part was that they left him there and he is now the owners responsibility to clean him up.

Another great day at the shop.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Find $2k somewhere. Or fix it yourself for :20bux:. Could be either. Can you dig out their actual quote and list everything they've said?

Here's everything they said:

Water Pump - It's leaking coolant and in order to change this it takes 7 hours because you have to pull about half of the engine apart. - $800.
Steering rod tie end - $250
Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly x2, Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link, Wheel alignment - $800

I hope that made sense to you guys. KBB says it's worth about $1500.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

I just chucked my discs for that game last week because I haven't played it in years. :(

:cry:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've still got my disk, although I'm not sure where my copy of the xpac is.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder why they don't sell the battle.net edition for $5. Or just let you play for free. I bet because they haven't updated it for battle.net / anti-cheats but at least a single player / direct TCP-IP version would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe they don't want everyone to remember how much better Warcraft II was than every other Warcraft thing they have done since :v:

e: contents of the War II disk: 113MB

• Locked thread