Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I think the Tyrion/Jaime retard discussion is setting up "Why do retards squash beetles?" to replace "Where do whores go?"

Babby's first Shakespeare reference

Macbeth posted:

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

Groell expects the series’s sixth installment, “The Winds of Winter,” to be out “reasonably soon.” “I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment, but I know more exists, because he keeps talking about chapter he hasn’t yet sent me,” she wrote.

Yep. :laffo:

Ghostsauce
Jun 4, 2005

scared you didnt i lmbo
edit

Ghostsauce fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 4, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Yeah, it's Season 1 Jaime.

dammit you are right. thanks. I thought it was supposed to be jaime but was acutally I dont know Orlando Bloom from Pirates or something. That pic of jaime looks like he is in the wrong movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghostsauce posted:

When I heard "Orson" Lannister I immediately thought of when Orson Scott Card was trashing Gurm in the news and thought Tyrion's speech was some ham-fisted trashing of Ender's Game or some poo poo.

This sort of of thing has been done.

Michael Crichton was accused of writing a critic as a corporate espionage guy or climate science faker (one of his usual villains, idk it was a long time ago) and when the guy said "nice strawman" Crichton asked which part of the character most reminded him of himself, the micropenis or the pedophilia?

I assumed Orson was kicked to death by a mule because he'd watched a stable boy do something that sounded like even more fun than squishing bugs and wanted to try it himself.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just want you guys to know that this exists, in case you hadn't already found it:

http://gobmush.wikidot.com/

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

I just want you guys to know that this exists, in case you hadn't already found it:

http://gobmush.wikidot.com/

I have always found it creepy when people use actors as their character pictures.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Does anybody have links to Nuncle Jimbo's mp3s of Samwell and Cersei's chapters? I need a good laugh and I don't have the mp3s on my new computer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

Groell expects the series’s sixth installment, “The Winds of Winter,” to be out “reasonably soon.” “I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment, but I know more exists, because he keeps talking about chapter he hasn’t yet sent me,” she wrote.

quote:

I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013

quote:

168 pages....Feb 2013

A quarter of a page a day. The man's a machine!!!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Solice Kirsk posted:

A quarter of a page a day. The man's a machine!!!

keeping in mind that those pages are the ones he cut from dance, and that he hasn't written anything for WoW yet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm actually super excited about getting to watch the show without the stupid books spoiling everything for me. Though a not so small part of me hopes HBO cancels the show after the 6th season. There will never be an ending! No big bad Bran becoming the next Night's King. No stupid Dany and Jon Snow ruling team up. No Stannis fighting a dragon. No Tommen....doing anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm actually super excited about getting to watch the show without the stupid books spoiling everything for me. Though a not so small part of me hopes HBO cancels the show after the 6th season. There will never be an ending! No big bad Bran becoming the next Night's King. No stupid Dany and Jon Snow ruling team up. No Stannis fighting a dragon. No Tommen....doing anything.

Someone has to play with Boots, Lady Whiskers and Ser Pounce!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

keeping in mind that those pages are the ones he cut from dance, and that he hasn't written anything for WoW yet.

Is that confirmed?
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I doubt he could use chapters his editor asked be cut from ADwD to meet a contractual obligation for the new book.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You may be right, this is clearly a series of books where the editor and publisher have very strict control over the author and not the other way around.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
GRRM is done with the new book btw http://www.amazon.com/Rogues-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0345537262

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's the book with the story of the Rogue Prince right? About Daemon Targaryan, the badass from the Dance of the Dragons? It should be entertaining at least, if not very fulfilling. We already know his outcome from the Princess and the Queen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sup shitlords, are the books done yet?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

lol

GRRM posted:

"The Princess and the Queen," Archmaester Gyldayn's somewhat abbreviated account of the Dance of the Dragons, got a great response from all the folks who read it in DANGEROUS WOMEN, so we've dipped back into the archmaester's somewhat disorganized piles of scrolls and crumbling manuscripts, and brought forth another piece of his unpublished history. "The Rogue Prince, or, the King's Brother," will tell the story of the years leading up to the calamitious events of "The Princess and the Queen" during the reign of King Viserys I Targaryen, with particular attention to the role played by the king's brother, Prince Daemon, a rogue if there ever was one. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as you did "The Princess and the Queen."

(And yes, sadly, "The Rogue Prince" is an abridged account as well. For the full version, you will all need to wait some years, until we publish the complete history of House Targaryen in the GRRMarillion... which, by the way, I've decided I am going to call FIRE AND BLOOD, since the GRRMarillion joke has grown somewhat stale by now)

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

I was really expecting a Wild Cards book...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stop writing about Targaryens you fat poo poo, they're uninteresting. If you must do 4 pages a year, do them about Davos.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like the Dunk&Egg tales and all the extra stuff but it's like he is trying really hard to write anything but Asoiaf at this point.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

Is that confirmed?
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I doubt he could use chapters his editor asked be cut from ADwD to meet a contractual obligation for the new book.

Anne Groell has said in order for those chapters to have been included in ADWD it would have required another year to get the book out. This gives me the impression those chapters weren't actually finished. It's entirely possible he completed the bumped chapters and submitted those for his check.

Not to further wreck your optimism (keep hope alive, someone has to), but in a recent interview Martin said he is not to the halfway point yet.

No one went broke underestimating the Mountain that Bides.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are we to assume that the GRRMarillion/Fire And Blood book is a completely different book than the World of Ice and Fire book that's coming out in October?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Aurain posted:

Stop writing about Targaryens you fat poo poo, they're uninteresting. If you must do 4 pages a year, do them about Davos.

I'd read an anthology of Davos' smuggling adventures in a heartbeat over more short stories about world building

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

I like the Dunk&Egg tales and all the extra stuff but it's like he is trying really hard to write anything but Asoiaf at this point.

He likes the world he built but he doesn't have any interest in finishing the original story. Dance was his last hurrah since it was like half done anyway, now he is just writing the bare minimum to satisfy his contracts with the publisher and HBO.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

He likes the world he built but he doesn't have any interest in finishing the original story. Dance was his last hurrah since it was like half done anyway, now he is just writing the bare minimum to satisfy his contracts with the publisher and HBO.

I wonder if he is even doing the bare minimum. A contract that requires submissions every now and again is kinda standard. One that asks for that once in three years is exceptional. He's probably already in breach, but I'm sure the HBO dough softens the blow.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Elman posted:

Tyrion didn't puke though. Such a terrible adaptation.

Ahaha how did I not notice Gurm gurmming it up?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"applecakes".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm actually surprised that so many people were surprised by this episode.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they say that he has told them all the characters fates and outline for the rest of the series? It will still be hilarious when the show spoils the books.

Oh you sweet summer stupid child.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

savinhill posted:

He's not gonna write books but it could lead to some hilarious blog posts full of neckbeard rage.

He could go public with spoilers of the show a week before each EP airs. ;)

(edit: and then would he state that the books are different, so that more people will buy them)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

ruddiger posted:

Are we to assume that the GRRMarillion/Fire And Blood book is a completely different book than the World of Ice and Fire book that's coming out in October?

TWOIAF is an abridged version of Fire And Blood, unfortunately.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I honestly think that whenever Winds of Winter comes out, there will be little if any warning to the announcement for publication. GRRM has been very carefully saying next to nothing for almost 3 years now concerning where he is at in terms of progress, and one obviously can understand that given how he lost all credibility, as this thread amply demonstrates to my slight bewilderment. I honestly didn't think that fans who cared enough to keep posting about his work would despise him so much, no joke. Although it is a tricky relationships, as those articles by Gaiman/Kay/etc pointed out.

It honestly makes me respect JK Rowling and what she did a hell of a lot more in retrospect, too. When faced with enormous public scrutiny and expectation to finish an insanely successful and profitable series of books that had also become sprawling and excessive, she acquitted herself pretty well for the most part. And, like GRRM, she had a media franchise in films that were slowly starting to breathe down her neck, but she coolly stayed ahead of the game. It was actually pretty amazing.

When I think about it, really, I shouldn't be surprised AT ALL that it's the biggest fans of GRRM's stuff that hate him the most. I just realized that, in keeping with my comparison, like the entirety of Harry Potter was written in the same amount of time that ASoIaF fans were waiting to find out what happened to Tyrion/Jon/etc. Ouch.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

kaworu posted:

It honestly makes me respect JK Rowling and what she did a hell of a lot more in retrospect, too. When faced with enormous public scrutiny and expectation to finish an insanely successful and profitable series of books that had also become sprawling and excessive, she acquitted herself pretty well for the most part. And, like GRRM, she had a media franchise in films that were slowly starting to breathe down her neck, but she coolly stayed ahead of the game. It was actually pretty amazing.

When I think about it, really, I shouldn't be surprised AT ALL that it's the biggest fans of GRRM's stuff that hate him the most. I just realized that, in keeping with my comparison, like the entirety of Harry Potter was written in the same amount of time that ASoIaF fans were waiting to find out what happened to Tyrion/Jon/etc. Ouch.

That's a good point, about JK Rowling. I didn't really think of that but when you compare that to the ASOIAF series (or Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which I'm surprised people don't mention more often in this context) it really is pretty admirable.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Terry Pratchett is literally dying of a brain-wasting disease and he has written about eleventy-zillion books in the same timeframe it has taken GRRM to poo poo out AFFC and ADWD.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Best case scenario: Gurm dies of new shitdick infection, editor can't bear to wade through his gross notes and quits, HBO left to finish the series in a way that doesn't suck i.e. the entirety of Essos sinks into the ocean taking all the boring plotlines with it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Mediocre posted:

Best case scenario: Gurm dies of new shitdick infection, editor can't bear to wade through his gross notes and quits, HBO left to finish the series in a way that doesn't suck i.e. the entirety of Essos sinks into the ocean taking all the boring plotlines with it.

HBO's A Feast for Krakens.

yarr

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

syscall girl posted:

HBO's A Feast of Krakens.

yarr

ftfy

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Berzerker posted:

or Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which I'm surprised people don't mention more often in this context

People bring it up all the time, but we usually come to the conclusion that it's apples to oranges. King was always up-front about not writing new Tower books because he just didn't have any ideas for a long, long time. Then he got hit by a van and crapped out three increasingly bad books, which I read in reverse order thanks to the public library's hold list working its inscrutible magicka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
And now he can't stop writing them. aren't there a couple new Dark Tower novels that take place between those already released? I thought he was gonna retire, too. After Duma Key or something. Yet he's still writing new books.