Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I wonder how much of those two not getting along is because and not in spite of them being almost the same person :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm still betting that grammah rose didn't create rose and rather the lawyers created rose in order to help sabotage Blake and push him towards diabolism.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm kind of attached to a pet theory that says she's not Alternate Universe Blake, she's actually Grandma Rose's ghost or vestige or whatever, and she's angling to take back her old life.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I wonder how chapter 6.11 would be handled in a printed version. We "missed" a Thursday update between 6.10 and 6.12. Would a paper version of Pact have a bunch of blank pages -- a potential "printing error"?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Grundulum posted:

I wonder how chapter 6.11 would be handled in a printed version. We "missed" a Thursday update between 6.10 and 6.12. Would a paper version of Pact have a bunch of blank pages -- a potential "printing error"?

I assume it would just go from 6.10 to 6.12 just like the online version. I didn't assume we'd missed a chapter on the Thursday, I assumed he'd messed up the numbering on the Saturday, then read the first couple of lines and figured what happened.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm kind of attached to a pet theory that says she's not Alternate Universe Blake, she's actually Grandma Rose's ghost or vestige or whatever, and she's angling to take back her old life.

There's a line in today's Histories that might make you pretty happy, although it's kind of ambiguous.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Rose posted:

"... and a diabolist doesn’t get the luxury of friends, not unless they’re the kind of monster who can take it in stride when the bad stuff trickles down and starts to fall on those friends.”

:ohdear:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Re-reading Maggie's history, the bit at the very end. I wonder if all of this has been anticipated and she is in Laird's pocket even now. Hmm. Part of me says no, her eagerness at this opportunity when Blake called her seemed too genuine, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fellwenner posted:

Re-reading Maggie's history, the bit at the very end. I wonder if all of this has been anticipated and she is in Laird's pocket even now. Hmm. Part of me says no, her eagerness at this opportunity when Blake called her seemed too genuine, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

She's siding with a diabolist in a major clash with the Lord of Toronto. As long as she walks away from this, she gets everything she wants without needing to buddy up with the guy who mildly stabbed her in the back by telling Blake about her activities. Heck, if Conquest crushes Blake like a bug, maybe she doesn't get her round two at all.

I think she's reliable. Likely to cause a shitload of civilian casualties, but a reliable ally to Blake himself.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Fellwenner posted:

If she was in Laird's pocket, she probably would have just let the Behaims capture Blake at the police station. I'm still getting the feeling of an alternative motive too though, besides the obvious "blood and fire" one.

Something's been bothering me though. The last Histories reminded me about an issue with the Thornburn lineage, namely why they feel compelled to continue it. It seems kind of pointlessly cruel to willingly pass down that much bad karma, and yet Rose Sr. made it clear that it was definitely a bad thing that she made an oath hindering that. The Duchamp's have some kind of self-perpetuating oath that does it to them, but Blake didn't have to promise anything like that. Have there been any hints as to what the Thornburn's incentive might be?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Something's been bothering me though. The last Histories reminded me about an issue with the Thornburn lineage, namely why they feel compelled to continue it. It seems kind of pointlessly cruel to willingly pass down that much bad karma, and yet Rose Sr. made it clear that it was definitely a bad thing that she made an oath hindering that. The Duchamp's have some kind of self-perpetuating oath that does it to them, but Blake didn't have to promise anything like that. Have there been any hints as to what the Thornburn's incentive might be?

I get the worrying impression from how Laird talks that the Barber's not the only problematic thing related to the house. If it were just the Barber and the books, it would be a nasty but not cataclysmic thing to try to transfer or disarm; there weren't any obvious direct consequences for trashing the Duchamp library, and the Barber could in theory be picked up and moved with the right, well, Pact; also, he's a very new addition to the house. There almost has to be something else about the location.

So if I'm on the right track, the house needs stewards for one reason or another, at which point you need either a trustworthy outside player who in the long run will be as vulnerable to temptation as anyone else, or a family that needs some practitioner capabilities to not just be completely outmatched on the spot, and enough numbers to not get snuffed out in a run of horrors.

Comedy option: Mirror Rose is immortal (the Barber can sure as heck break certain rules, so why wouldn't the reflection he cuts out be resistant to the usual vestige problems?) and meant to absorb the Thorburn curse forever while temporal management of the house is transferred to family members who are less under its shadow.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

“I’m not listening, la la la,” Evan said, wings to the sides of his head.

Evan continues to be as adorable as ever.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, he gave Laird soap and water - an opposite counter to Pauz. Laird is also trained in diabolism and Blake doesn't know it. I suspect this will not end favorably.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
I'm hoping it's part of some kind of sneaky plan, because drat it, they finally have Laird in custody and I want him to stay there for at least some time.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
It really sounded like to me that Laird was making some kind of circle or symbol around himself with the objects he asked for. He asked for all of them before the Tallowman and Pauz came into play. He might be stopped by that. But, I bet he gets free at some point. If I remember right he never actually eats or drinks anything during the chapter. He may not have established his guest right and have to abide by fair play rules.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
God dammit, Wildbow. This is what we're left with for the weekend. :suspense:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is spectacularly unfair.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Christ that cliffhanger...

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wildbow is an utter bastard.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Cheer up. We know we're getting an update on Tuesday. No worrying about bonus updates on that day.

When Blake and Conquest agreed on the contest, did they swear not to use their own powers? This snowstorm, if it's really Conquest's, seems like it ought to count against that restriction.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
gently caress that chapter.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Grundulum posted:

When Blake and Conquest agreed on the contest, did they swear not to use their own powers? This snowstorm, if it's really Conquest's, seems like it ought to count against that restriction.

Serms like its part of conquests intrinsic power that reflects his status upon the city. It's mentioned a few times like when Fell berates Blake for holding the contest in Toronto.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Blake and Evan's happy place. Just two bros, a motorcycle, and the fresh air. :unsmith:

I wonder what Laird's been up to in the last 2 days and 23 hours, though...

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

I wonder what Laird's been up to in the last 2 days and 23 hours, though...
:shrek:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Either I was really tired when I first read today's Pact, or Wildbow edited the ending of this chapter.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Evan is my favorite.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

TheRagamuffin posted:

Either I was really tired when I first read today's Pact, or Wildbow edited the ending of this chapter.

I didn't notice anything. What did you think happened?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

What do you think changed? I didn't notice anything on a reread.

Edit: wow, I left that window open a while.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I'm not noticing anything either.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Pavlov posted:

I didn't notice anything. What did you think happened?

I didn't see the last line before. Going crazy I guess. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:golfclap:

Also, I expect Fell kicked the bucket, going by what Conquest said.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:golfclap:

Also, I expect Fell kicked the bucket, going by what Conquest said.

Which is pretty sad because I loved Fell. He was probably the most defined "practicioner" character and a great example of how badass one can be.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Did I miss something? Where are the updates? I'm so sad

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

He's gone to a wedding, and the comments section is encouraging him to take it easy for a couple of weeks (quite rightly!) ah no that's in a month :downs:

Todays update would have been better if he'd just ended it 6 lines earlier and tagged those on the front of the next one... He does the whole "I've figured it out! [ END ]" way too often.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

He's in the habit of trying to include a hook for the next chapter, without realizing it's really unnecessary at this point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fellwenner posted:

He's in the habit of trying to include a hook for the next chapter, without realizing it's really unnecessary at this point.

Unnecessary for continuing readers, good bait for new readers I guess.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Consider the other option - the snippets all end with a disaster only for them to suddenly pull out a solution at the beginning of the next - either way could become a bit irritating, and I think it's just a sad truth that mid-chapter cutoffs are almost always going to be a bit unsatisfying, heh.

These books are written in a serial format that requires multiple posts a week and ends up producing a lot of unnecessary chaff and weird plotting at times, so it'll be really interesting to see what will happen to Worm and this if they're apparently getting the full editor treatment - if you went full out and edited it, instead of merely just correcting typos/grammar/inconsistiencies, it's possible you could end up with an even better book. I haven't actually gotten around to reading Worm yet but if an edited version came out i'd definitely buy it and read that instead.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 10, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm getting pretty burned out on the serialization of Pact. The need to have every single chapter end in a cliffhanger combined with the duration of this Conquest arc makes the experience really uneven and weirdly paced. It's like if someone novelized the movie Aliens and just went on and on with Ripley running away from one Xenomorph only to open a door and find another, twenty times in succession. Worm had downtime and dialogue, and even the S9 arc, which was probably the longest aside from the end, had changes of venue and pace. From the comments I think Wildbow knows he needs to wrap this up, so hopefully it happens in the next couple chapters.

Given how the pace of this thread has dropped to nothing I'm guessing I'm not the only one losing patience.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I wonder if Blake dies and is replaced by Rose, if Rose can declare Conquest unable to win the contest, along the same lines as what Conquest did to Joseph Attwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Velius posted:

I'm getting pretty burned out on the serialization of Pact. The need to have every single chapter end in a cliffhanger combined with the duration of this Conquest arc makes the experience really uneven and weirdly paced. It's like if someone novelized the movie Aliens and just went on and on with Ripley running away from one Xenomorph only to open a door and find another, twenty times in succession. Worm had downtime and dialogue, and even the S9 arc, which was probably the longest aside from the end, had changes of venue and pace. From the comments I think Wildbow knows he needs to wrap this up, so hopefully it happens in the next couple chapters.

Given how the pace of this thread has dropped to nothing I'm guessing I'm not the only one losing patience.

I started only reading it after I've finished a book, so I get at least a couple chapters built up. It's better that way but worse for discussion.

• Locked thread