Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pilchenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend me some cheapish e-books? I've just finished Flat Earth News and Bad Science for the second time, so anything in that sort of vein where even a simpleton like myself might learn something. I've got Bad Pharma but I'm finding it a bit of a slog, if that helps anyone judge just how short my attention span is.

My mam's recovering from surgery, so I'm spending a fair bit of time at her house and need something to keep me sane while she's watching soaps. Thanks in advance.

Capital in the 21st century by light-hearted pop-economist Tommy P. may be up your street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LemonDrizzle posted:

Capital in the 21st century by light-hearted pop-economist Tommy P. may be up your street.
I just looked it up and it sounds ideal, cheers mate.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quote:

Ministers also announced plans to enable fracking to take place under people's homes without their permission.

This part holy lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mfcrocker posted:

First 32 people drawn at http://antlab.co.uk/sweepstake/c/b2ca35c6.html

If you're not in this list you either haven't entered or will be drawn before the end of the week. As it stands we've got 47 entrants for £235 to some charity.

Still time to enter, will cost you a fiver to a charity: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wrOZLqHwOiUrz9UCC2mTAQPscdOi53MIF5n6D8r86_Q

I'm in, still got a UK bank account with some money in so I may as well do something good with it.

Sidenote- the form's not written in Russian, right? What the gently caress is going on with my google?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haven't they recently discovered a shitload of shale oil under Kent?

Countdown for the Tories to suddenly grow a conscience on this issue... 5.. 4.. 3.. 2

Edit for brevity. You all know where loving Kent is.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I think I've just discovered a new group of people who should be nailed to a loving wall when the revolution comes: http://section-106.co.uk

S106 Management posted:

Affordable Housing and Section 106 payments aren't always inevitable, we can advise on how to avoid or significantly reduce them

If the profit margin for your scheme is pushed to below 17.5% by Affordable Housing or other Section 106 payments, we can help. The demands made by local planning authorities should not jeopardise the viability of any underlying planning permission. In these cases we can prepare a Viability Assessment based on properly documented building costs and sales values, helping you to negotiate a significant reduction in your Affordable Housing provision or Section 106 payments.

Sorry poors no homes for you they were less profitable now get out of my way I've a beach to be sunning myself on.

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 4, 2014

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
Another exciting rental opportunity appears in London

"Please note that the property is height restricted to 5 foot 6 inches (167.64 centimetres) due to the low ceilings and also consists of no windows."

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-30455280.html

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

DJT518T posted:

"Please note that the property is height restricted to 5 foot 6 inches (167.64 centimetres) due to the low ceilings and also consists of no windows."

It's 'near a tube station' though (no poo poo, it looks like it's been built in a tube tunnel)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Crane Fist posted:

I'm in, still got a UK bank account with some money in so I may as well do something good with it.

Sidenote- the form's not written in Russian, right? What the gently caress is going on with my google?

Indeed it is. My google documents have been in serbian for years and I have no idea how to change it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I think I've just discovered a new group of people who should be nailed to a loving wall when the revolution comes: http://section-106.co.uk

Sorry poors no homes for you they were less profitable now get out of my way I've a beach to be sunning myself on.

what a load of loving twats

Is there anything actually good in the queens speech this year? Like there's usually something that everyone can always agree with although I don't know with this government...

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

what a load of loving twats

Is there anything actually good in the queens speech this year? Like there's usually something that everyone can always agree with although I don't know with this government...

We get to sack MP's who get sent to prison.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Mexico let's go!

I do enjoy burritos, lucha libre and tequila. This is fine for me.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

We get to sack MP's who get sent to prison.

:laffo: yeah, if you can get 10% of the entire constituency to sign a petition - it's hard enough getting that many to vote in the first place

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DJT518T posted:

It's a loving hobbit hole! How cool is that?

You guys are so negative all the time!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

:laffo: yeah, if you can get 10% of the entire constituency to sign a petition - it's hard enough getting that many to vote in the first place

Or to get an MP sent to prison for obvious corruption.

That's a law designed specifically for UKIP since they're the only ones dumb enough to get caught doing petty crime rather than the usual MP open and legal bribery.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

tooterfish posted:

It's a loving hobbit hole! How cool is that?

You guys are so negative all the time!

London is nowhere near the shire! :colbert:

e: hmmm, seems I misremembered, still, london isn't in the west midlands either

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 4, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend me some cheapish e-books? I've just finished Flat Earth News and Bad Science for the second time, so anything in that sort of vein where even a simpleton like myself might learn something. I've got Bad Pharma but I'm finding it a bit of a slog, if that helps anyone judge just how short my attention span is.

My mam's recovering from surgery, so I'm spending a fair bit of time at her house and need something to keep me sane while she's watching soaps. Thanks in advance.

I try to recommend "Clampdown: Pop-cultural wars on class and gender" by Rhian E Jones to everyone, so there's that.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

I don't quite get how they don't automatically get sacked if they go to prison - they can't do their job if they're locked up. Do people usually get to keep their jobs when they get sent to prison?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SybilVimes posted:

It's 'near a tube station' though (no poo poo, it looks like it's been built in a tube tunnel)

looks more like it's under a railway arch.

as tempting as a shag pad less than a minute's walk from heaven is, i think i'll pass.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Its built into the vaults supporting Charing Cross station. So not only cramped as hell but you have to deal with the rumble of trains both above and below for eighteen hours a day. What a bargain.

EDIT: I tell a lie. Its just in a basement *next to* the vaults supporting CC station. Oh well.

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Personally, my favourite bit is the low to the ground fisheye shots to make it impossible to gauge the size of it properly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I was thinking the other day about how weird it is that capitalists base their expectations for "reasonable" returns on a percentage of investment, rather than just being happy with X amount of money.

Then I realised that if the fuckers just took a wage and stopped there, they wouldn't be capitalists in the first place.

Munin posted:

Personally, my favourite bit is the low to the ground fisheye shots to make it impossible to gauge the size of it properly.

Wait till you get there and find out all the pieces of furniture are lovingly crafted 80% scale replicas :shepface:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Argentina! :D

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait till you get there and find out all the pieces of furniture are lovingly crafted 80% scale replicas :shepface:

My dad reckons he caught Barratt Homes doing that back in the day. He used to be an architect, and some friends of his were thinking of buying one of the new builds on an estate somewhere so they asked him to come have a look at a show house with them. He noticed something strange about the couch, and only realised what was up when he, a quite slight man, sat down on it and found it was way too small for him. He then whipped out a tape measure and found that they had scaled everything down to make the rooms feel way bigger because most people viewing didn't bother to actually go into the rooms, they just stuck their heads in and glanced around whilst the salesman delivered the spiel.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Munin posted:

It actually looks quite nice until you read the bit about the height and the price!?!

I used to rent a 3 bedroom, 2 floor, 2 bathroom with a dining room, kitchen, living room and a roof terrace apartment on the loving seafront in Brighton for 1000 a month not that long ago. Thats the same price as that shithole.

Who do I have to kill here to stop everything going mental, i'll take the fall.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
For the same price you could get a p nice 3 bed flat on Byres Road in the west end of Glasgow right next to the university.

London lives in its own loving world!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

HortonNash posted:

My dad reckons he caught Barratt Homes doing that back in the day. He used to be an architect, and some friends of his were thinking of buying one of the new builds on an estate somewhere so they asked him to come have a look at a show house with them. He noticed something strange about the couch, and only realised what was up when he, a quite slight man, sat down on it and found it was way too small for him. He then whipped out a tape measure and found that they had scaled everything down to make the rooms feel way bigger because most people viewing didn't bother to actually go into the rooms, they just stuck their heads in and glanced around whilst the salesman delivered the spiel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIezBv9Lb78

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

For the same price you could get a p nice 3 bed flat on Byres Road in the west end of Glasgow right next to the university.

London lives in its own loving world!

I was with you up until the bit where you have to live in glasgow.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I visited Glasgow the other year. It was alright.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
My mate moved to Glasgow last year (from Surrey) and he's loving it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

All this talk of cheap but awesome places is all well and good except that all of my friends and family live in London. I don't like the prices but I have to pay them less I take a massive hit to my social life (and I don't just mean heavy drinking). We have spoken at length about the importance of them for good mental and physical health.

Jesus gently caress the market and the GDP build some houses or at least make the ones being bought as investments available to the rental market.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Umiapik posted:

I visited Glasgow the other year. It was alright.

"I went outside once and it was alright. Now I want to be homeless."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DJT518T posted:

"This well-appointed hobbit hole features gas central heating".

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

"This well-appointed hobbit hole features gas central heating".

Hobbit holes had windows. :colbert:

Edit: Whilst we're on the subject...

Council to investigate 'tiny flat'.

quote:

A tiny studio flat that has become a symbol of London's soaring property prices is to be investigated by planning, environmental health and fire safety authorities after the Guardian revealed details of its shoebox-like proportions.

The property, in Kember Street, near King's Cross, sparked an online furore after it was offered for rental at £170 a week or £737 a month, only to be snapped up in less than 16 hours.

Though marketed as a "modern studio apartment", the flat seemed to consist of little more than a small room into which had been crammed a double mattress, a wardrobe and several fitted kitchen units, leaving barely enough room to open the front door or walk round the bed, plus a separate toilet and shower.

Paul Convery, who represents the Caledonian ward on Islington council for Labour, told the Guardian he had prompted the council's planning inspectorate to investigate after seeing photographs of the flat, saying he suspected it had been created by subdividing an existing studio flat without planning permission.

It would also be viewed by Islington's housing standards team, he said. "There are basic, minimum standards set in law, a series of risks that are involved in substandard housing, so it will be tested [according to] those. I don't know if it will fall foul of those minimum standards, but I'm drat sure that, if this is a subdivision without planning permission, then the wheels will turn."

Convery has also asked the fire service to inspect the flat to ensure it conforms to fire safety standards, he said.

But the owner of the block in which the tiny flat is situated insisted he had appropriate planning permission for the 40 individual residential units in the four-storey building.

Andrew Panayi, a well-known local landlord who owns multiple properties in the immediate vicinity, told the Guardian: "The property does have planning. It's been checked several times by the environmental health and the planning department. We have not subdivided units." He said he had bought the property, a former hostel, in 2003.

Panayi said the photograph chosen by the estate agent Relocate Me "didn't do justice" to the flat. "They didn't photograph the bathroom or the [communal] roof terrace." The particulars had also failed to mention the fact that central heating, internet and unlimited hot water were included in the price, he said.

Despite its tiny proportions, the property was let within less than 16 hours of its listing early on Tuesday morning, after the estate agents received more than 20 calls and a similar number of emails.

Convery said the borough, like other London council areas, had "hundreds and hundreds" of landlords renting out substandard or poorly managed properties.

"We're mainly talking about young 20-somethings, students, new arrivals in London and European visitors. They are exploited on an industrial scale, but they are often not really complaining about it because the price of living in zone 1 or 2, and most of London, is so extortionate now that they are prepared to shrug their shoulders and make that trade-off between quality and price."

An Islington Council spokesman said: "We take alleged breaches of planning rules and the housing acts very seriously, and are seeking to gain access to this property to investigate fully and rigorously.

"We will take robust action if any planning controls or housing acts are being breached."
Last time I went to London I stayed in a youth hostel directly opposite the British Library. If the perks of a shoebox include communal living areas, why do people even bother?

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 5, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

HortonNash posted:

This was (and maybe still is?) absolutely a thing so your Dad is almost certainly right.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 5, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Hobbit holes had windows. :colbert:
True. "This well-appointed goblin cave features gas central heating".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Paul Convery, who represents the Caledonian ward on Islington council for Labour, told the Guardian he had prompted the council's planning inspectorate to investigate after seeing photographs of the flat, saying he suspected it had been created by subdividing an existing studio flat without planning permission.

:stonk:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Are bedsits not viable any more?

The could have removed most of the kitchen, put in a baby belling and a communal washing up/ toilet area and it would be exactly like the kind of "flats" I used to live in in the 90's.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

If that's from the Graun article they quote the slumlord landlord saying he's had planning permission for it, and that he rents out another 30 flats in the same building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adverbially
Sep 17, 2013

Soiled Meat
ICYMI, Cameron's group in the EP voted to include the True Finns and the Danish People’s Party, one of the biggest winners in the EP election next to ... guess who.

• Locked thread