Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

I think something might still be busted with the patrician AI.

This is 33 years in from the 1066 start, and those are the starting tradeposts of the AI.

They haven't done a drat thing.

Yeah, I've had the same problem. They do build trade posts, but incredibly slowly, even when they have more than sufficient money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I've had the same problem. They do build trade posts, but incredibly slowly, even when they have more than sufficient money.
If you monopolize the trade posts inside your republic territory they are trying extremely hard not to drop one outside of it (out of fear of getting an embargo?). If it's inside a postless coast in your republic they will built one in it but once your republic territory is filled the AI will rarely invest in one if it's not a same religion/same culture ruler next to you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quick check: if you don't have Rajas of India, does all RoI content (except for UI graphics) still apply to NPCs? I.e. if I march my Western army all the way to conquer India, I might still fight war elephants in a jungle?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oh. Just had an idea. Has anyone made a diadochi mod? It seems like the collapse of the Macedonian Empire could fit CK pretty well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Darkrenown posted:

FYI, turns out Rajas is not meant to be so discounted, so it might get fixed before midweekmadness ends.

I had a hunch it might be an error since it's so new, that's why I picked it up immediately.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NihilCredo posted:

Quick check: if you don't have Rajas of India, does all RoI content (except for UI graphics) still apply to NPCs? I.e. if I march my Western army all the way to conquer India, I might still fight war elephants in a jungle?

Correct. The expansion just unlocks the ability to play it, but those features still exist for the AI.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Oh. Just had an idea. Has anyone made a diadochi mod? It seems like the collapse of the Macedonian Empire could fit CK pretty well.

There's one that I know of. I've never tried it out but it might be worth a shot http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?669905-MOD-Diadochi-Kings

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've encountered a strange situation. I can't Educate my own son. I'm just not in the list. Is this because I am on my Liege's council?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Make sure you aren't tutoring someone elses kids. If your liege sets you as a tutor then it doesn't show a prompt.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Make sure you aren't tutoring someone elses kids. If your liege sets you as a tutor then it doesn't show a prompt.

Nobody is listed under my Wards, which is the confusing thing. The only thing I can think of is that he has me training troops, but I can assign a ward to my own marshal, so :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How exactly does Ironman mode work? I started as one of the Indian kings and played for a bit, then my game hung and I had to alt+F4 out and now my game isn't Ironman anymore? :confused:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darkrenown posted:

Can you tell if that northern most nocluture is Komi or Khanty in CK2?

It looks like it encompasses both, but I'm not quite sure.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

This is 33 years in from the 1066 start, and those are the starting tradeposts of the AI.

Here's a shot of what the other families look like in the late game of the republic tutorial lp. This is about 150 years after game start...They have gold, and I own a fairly large chunk of the mediterranean coasts, so I dunno why they don't pony up 90 gold and build some posts.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

If you monopolize the trade posts inside your republic territory they are trying extremely hard not to drop one outside of it (out of fear of getting an embargo?). If it's inside a postless coast in your republic they will built one in it but once your republic territory is filled the AI will rarely invest in one if it's not a same religion/same culture ruler next to you.

This isn't true. See above.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yes but how recently did those last two families rise to prominence.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Is there any way to at least vaguely control who gets grabbed and tossed in the dungeons when you go raiding? I'm probably going to be setting aside my Norse ironman game soon, since ~200 years in I've hit the point where anything less than Byzantium is barely a speedbump and it's a given that the world will be painted Megabritannian red at my leisure unless I intentionally do a bunch of stupid things to cripple and splinter the empire. I'd like to get Holy Smoke before I stop, though. Thinking I might try diplostabbing everyone in the Ecumenical Patriarch's court mid-assault, since I've got a gigantic pile of money on hand. Would that work, or is there a better way/no real way to influence it beyond praying the RNG god feels generous?

Also, I'm looking at more difficult starts to try next so I hopefully don't end up steamrolling the world so trivially again. I'm particularly looking at the Old Gods Nestorian island, because their heresy sounds fun. Have some questions about that start, though.

Is there any standard early-game gameplan for them to keep in mind? From a quick look at their position, it seems like the way to go would be to prioritize piety accumulation and shipbuilding tech, spam the Order of St. Addai on whatever nearby coastal minor powers are still independent by the time I have enough of a fleet to send them places, and then probably try and marry/claim forge my way into Abyssinia and Nubia so I've got some room to grow without triggering Jihads/otherwise provoking the Caliph until I'm big enough to maybe put up an actual fight. Am I on the right track, or am I off/missing major stuff?

And re: the heresy, is there any vaguely reliable way to get it, or do I just have to hope my chaplain procs the ~2% heretic find fairly quickly or that Nestorian provinces start turning from its iffy starting MA so I can get it via swapping to my capital's religion? And once I'm there, I know divine blood can start giving me a bunch of inbred lunatics if I don't marry outside to freshen up the gene pool now and then, but I also recall someone mentioning a fertility malus for divine marriages in here a while back. If there really is one, how bad is it? Is it a tiny penalty that I can more or less ignore if I'm diligent about getting my heirs and their spouses diplo/steward educations and try to find Lustful tutors when possible, or is it big enough that periodic outbreeding is also necessary to keep a decent stock of emergency spare kids and cadet branches around?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rumda posted:

Yes but how recently did those last two families rise to prominence.

They have been there from the game start. All the italian families start with plenty of heirs and rarely extinguish.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shiny777 posted:

Is there any way to at least vaguely control who gets grabbed and tossed in the dungeons when you go raiding? I'm probably going to be setting aside my Norse ironman game soon, since ~200 years in I've hit the point where anything less than Byzantium is barely a speedbump and it's a given that the world will be painted Megabritannian red at my leisure unless I intentionally do a bunch of stupid things to cripple and splinter the empire. I'd like to get Holy Smoke before I stop, though. Thinking I might try diplostabbing everyone in the Ecumenical Patriarch's court mid-assault, since I've got a gigantic pile of money on hand. Would that work, or is there a better way/no real way to influence it beyond praying the RNG god feels generous?

Also, I'm looking at more difficult starts to try next so I hopefully don't end up steamrolling the world so trivially again. I'm particularly looking at the Old Gods Nestorian island, because their heresy sounds fun. Have some questions about that start, though.

Is there any standard early-game gameplan for them to keep in mind? From a quick look at their position, it seems like the way to go would be to prioritize piety accumulation and shipbuilding tech, spam the Order of St. Addai on whatever nearby coastal minor powers are still independent by the time I have enough of a fleet to send them places, and then probably try and marry/claim forge my way into Abyssinia and Nubia so I've got some room to grow without triggering Jihads/otherwise provoking the Caliph until I'm big enough to maybe put up an actual fight. Am I on the right track, or am I off/missing major stuff?

And re: the heresy, is there any vaguely reliable way to get it, or do I just have to hope my chaplain procs the ~2% heretic find fairly quickly or that Nestorian provinces start turning from its iffy starting MA so I can get it via swapping to my capital's religion? And once I'm there, I know divine blood can start giving me a bunch of inbred lunatics if I don't marry outside to freshen up the gene pool now and then, but I also recall someone mentioning a fertility malus for divine marriages in here a while back. If there really is one, how bad is it? Is it a tiny penalty that I can more or less ignore if I'm diligent about getting my heirs and their spouses diplo/steward educations and try to find Lustful tutors when possible, or is it big enough that periodic outbreeding is also necessary to keep a decent stock of emergency spare kids and cadet branches around?

You'll never capture the Ecumenical Patriarch outside of capturing him in battle.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just watched a timelapse video of HIP with SWMH, and Jesus that is an ugly map. There are bits of territory in wasteland zones! And did the make most of Sinai wasteland too? And didn't they remove most of India? I thought I heard that but the video didn't show the far east of the map.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

catlord posted:

And didn't they remove most of India? I thought I heard that but the video didn't show the far east of the map.

India isn't implemented yet, but the plan is to just add a small part of western India i think.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You'll never capture the Ecumenical Patriarch outside of capturing him in battle.

Dammit. Are the Caliphs any more vulnerable to capture if I could catch one in peacetime, or is there no other way but taking a swing at Byzantium and hoping I get lucky? I'd try the Pope if he was vulnerable, but I kicked him out of Rome decades ago, no one bothered to kick a spare church his way, and the odds of that changing are slim since Catholicism is barely clinging to life at this point.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

I just watched a timelapse video of HIP with SWMH, and Jesus that is an ugly map. There are bits of territory in wasteland zones! And did the make most of Sinai wasteland too? And didn't they remove most of India? I thought I heard that but the video didn't show the far east of the map.
The territories in the middle of the wastes are supposed to represent oases in the middle of the desert, and are connected to certain provinces using adjacencies.csv trickery. Supposed to be something about desert routes, I think.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

So IS there currently a way to vassalize the Jomsvikings? I've heard things about inviting the heir apparent to your court, landing him, and then killing the current title holder. But that doesn't seem to work at all, even when I do all those steps while still paused. It just promotes someone completely different.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the holy orders in India does not mess around. I attacked some guy with three counties, and he spawned an 8k stack on me.

Edit: in 877.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Did they make it so you can't edit save files any more? I can't open the thing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JerikTelorian posted:

Is it ironman?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

The territories in the middle of the wastes are supposed to represent oases in the middle of the desert, and are connected to certain provinces using adjacencies.csv trickery. Supposed to be something about desert routes, I think.

Oh, yes, I understand it, it's just stupid and ugly.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Gimmick Account posted:

So IS there currently a way to vassalize the Jomsvikings? I've heard things about inviting the heir apparent to your court, landing him, and then killing the current title holder. But that doesn't seem to work at all, even when I do all those steps while still paused. It just promotes someone completely different.

Give them a county or barony within your territory if they don't already have one, be same culture/religion, and hold an emperor level title. Offer them vassalization, and if the head of the order likes you, he should accept.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

It's compressed. I think you can just unzip it. Alternatively you can resave the game, but choose to not compress the save.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rumda posted:

Is it ironman?

It is not, but I figured it out: There is a "Compress Game Data" checkbox now.

Would anyone mind looking at this game for me? my Liege recently pressed my de jure claim on Amalfi (I am duke of Salerno) and succeeded; I now have Amalfi. I'd like to capture Neapolis and tidy up the whole region, but I can't actually declare war on Neapolis, because their Liege is the former Doge of the Amalfi republic (who doesn't get to live in Amalfi because I own it now). How do I fix this? Also, and ideas as to why I still can't Educate Children would be fantastic. The game seems to think I'm living in Pavia (because I've been training troops there as Marshall) so maybe that's why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28675812/Benevento914_03_26.zip

Here's a picture of the problem with the doge:

There's not even an option to declare war -- it's just not there.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shiny777 posted:

Dammit. Are the Caliphs any more vulnerable to capture if I could catch one in peacetime, or is there no other way but taking a swing at Byzantium and hoping I get lucky? I'd try the Pope if he was vulnerable, but I kicked him out of Rome decades ago, no one bothered to kick a spare church his way, and the odds of that changing are slim since Catholicism is barely clinging to life at this point.

The trick to getting that chieve, I heard, is to start as a pagan near Byzantium (I think Kiev is the main fav) and reloading until you get an EC that's Byz's court chaplain and then imprisoning him when he inevitably tries to convert you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The trick to getting that chieve, I heard, is to start as a pagan near Byzantium (I think Kiev is the main fav) and reloading until you get an EC that's Byz's court chaplain and then imprisoning him when he inevitably tries to convert you.

Can't you just conquer Byzantium as a Norse pagan and then imprison the EP as your vassal?

I've always ended up with the EC as a vassal in my map-painting games, regardless of my religion...

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ah. Guess that one'll wait for another run, then.

Edit: Or if just dismantling the empire and maybe eating a tyranny hit works, even better. Guess I'll give that a shot.

Shiny777 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Someone needs to just take the last version of CK2+ that Wiz released and make it compatible with Rajas CK2.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I actually went and joined the new continuation team (because it seemed like the only way I'd ever see an update and HIP is Not My Thing) and, while we're still bughunting, the dev version is playable and feedback is always welcome.

(no they are not going back to the vanilla map)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

Can't you just conquer Byzantium as a Norse pagan and then imprison the EP as your vassal?

I've always ended up with the EC as a vassal in my map-painting games, regardless of my religion...

I've never conquered all of Byzantium, but aren't there restrictions on it for other religions forming it? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MrBling posted:

Yeh I've noticed some weird poo poo with republics recently too. Mainly that all the trade posts don't belong to anyone it just shows a rebel flag with no owner and they are permanent from what I can tell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've never conquered all of Byzantium, but aren't there restrictions on it for other religions forming it? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Nope. HRE must be Catholic, but Byzantium can be anything as best as I can tell.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What's a good start date besides Old Gods and the original default one? I haven't played in awhile, I'd like a challenging start, but with the other dates I don't know where to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Whenever I choose to raise levies two of my vassals aren't producing troops. They both have them stocked up, and I'm on good terms with them, but I can never raise levies. Why is that? In the military menu the levies appear depleted but they appear full (but still inaccessible) in the holdings section.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 5, 2014

• Locked thread