Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I had a good laugh at a unit dinner full of apache guys when someone's phone loudly BEETLE BEETLE'd in the middle of a speech and everyone's heads instinctively went slightly down and right to look at an imaginary display panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

"Retard" would be a good ringtone to put on other people's phones.

One of my "friends" did this to me. He set it up so every time he sent me a text message my phone would say "retard retard." I chose to think of it as my phone warning me that a retard was sending me a text message so I didn't change it. Until one day when I was shopping at one of those grocery stores that hires downs kids as baggers. According to the manager I'm not welcome at that Safeway anymore.

Luneshot posted:

That TCAS voice is really muddled and hard to understand. I can imagine that non-native English speakers would have no clue what the thing was saying.

It's much much clearer (and louder) than in that video. Besides, all you really need to know is there's a TCAS RA happening and the VSI will tell you the rest.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/us/blue-angels-chauvinism/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

CNN" posted:

At one point during McWherter's stint, an oversized penis painted in the blue and gold colors of the Blue Angels adorned the roof of an airplane hangar. The image was so large that it could be seen by satellites and appeared on Google Maps images. A member of the squadron painted over the graffiti, and the satellite map image has since disappeared.

Someone find that sat image. Top men need to be put on the search. Top men.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Someone else find the squadron member that painted it and give him a drat medal.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

onezero posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/us/blue-angels-chauvinism/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Someone find that sat image. Top men need to be put on the search. Top men.

Not on google, sadly

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I had a good laugh at a unit dinner full of apache guys when someone's phone loudly BEETLE BEETLE'd in the middle of a speech and everyone's heads instinctively went slightly down and right to look at an imaginary display panel.

That must have been hilarious to watch- it's amazing what training will do for your instincts.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bad day for plane crashes:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Military-Plane-Crash-Imperial-Valley-Neighborhood-San-Diego-261909661.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/1-dead-in-small-plane-crash-near-Enumclaw-261899591.html

Apparently the Imperial Valley crash was a Marine Harrier Jump Jet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The WWII plane was an T-6 Texan, going off the tail number.

Same plane when it was new, at least according to the googles.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've got some family that lives in Bonney Lake :stare: welp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

What's Beetle Beetle signify? Bing / Google don't seem to be any help.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
edit: nope, super wrong.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 5, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently MD-80s use some kind of robot to deliver warnings instead of a sensible recording of a person.

Shes a real person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AK4yxBGnM

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4G1Toe3h0

I've never seen anything like this before. The firefighter looks utterly hopeless and like he has some sort of deathwish but not the balls to carry it through.

e: it apparently removed the time, I mean around 7:30 with the airbus

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 5, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

simplefish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4G1Toe3h0

I've never seen anything like this before. The firefighter looks utterly hopeless and like he has some sort of deathwish but not the balls to carry it through.

Haha, the Sentry in the end. That could have been a very expensive drink. POTUS survives nuclear strike, killed by KC-10.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

CharlesM posted:

What's Beetle Beetle signify? Bing / Google don't seem to be any help.

Sorry, it's the general alarm tone for a warning/caution appearing on the text display. Typically accompanies a master caution light.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 5, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
A Ryanair 737 rolled back into the fire station at Rome-Ciampiano

I'm sure it'll just buff out.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

A Ryanair 737 rolled back into the fire station at Rome-Ciampiano

I'm sure it'll just buff out.

O'Leary will just charge extra to fly on planes with the full number of elevators.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It's probably a weight reduction thing. I bet there's a whole extra row of people in those parts, and if you want the best deal you'll have to work for it by moving the mass of people fore and aft to control the trim.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Isn't there a guy with glowy stick walking behind the plane when they push back? I don't get how this happened.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Isn't there a guy with glowy stick walking behind the plane when they push back? I don't get how this happened.

They only use one marshal and pass the savings on to you!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It was in Rome, dude was probably taking a nap.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

It was in Rome, dude was probably taking a nap.

Alternatively: Marshal was used to going full speed until 6" away from an obstacle.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Not the first time, won't be the last. I recall when I still worked for Ryanair, some years back, an event in Frankfurt-Hahn. A plane was being towed into the hangar, and, well... was towed into the hangar. Needed half the tail rebuilding.

Convenient that it was the left hand elevator again - I know they have that in stock, after a towing incident at Stansted. The tug crews were parking planes at the start of the winter schedule, and managed to tow the second plane they parked... into the first. Left half the winglet of one embedded in the elevator of the other; that was the worst damaged winglet I saw in five years there.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Posting from seat 7A of a Saab 340.

Sucks.

All the NVH (and landing speeds) of a 727.

WTF, Seaborne.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 5, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Frankly I love engine noise. Hopefully it's a short flight at least.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dat vortex generation on the LERX.

:awesome:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

Sucks.

WTF, Seaborne.

I probably installed the GPS/FMS in that airplane. Did you land in the right place? :ohdear:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Dat vortex generation on the LERX.

:awesome:

Hornets have the best vapor. Also neat vapor forming behind/beneath the wing's trailing edge. Low speed/high-AOA flight?

You can also see the vortices being deflected by the strakes on the LERX. These were fitted after early Hornets developed cracks on the bases of the vertical stabilizers.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

buttcrackmenace posted:

Note to self don't ever Wikipedia the plane model I'm on while I'm on it

"The Saab 340 is a discontinued Swedish two-engine turboprop aircraft..."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

revmoo posted:

Note to self don't ever Wikipedia the plane model I'm on while I'm on it

"The Saab 340 is a discontinued Swedish two-engine turboprop aircraft..."

I did this with a Fokker 100 I was on a few years back. "It was the largest jet airliner built by Fokker before its bankruptcy in 1997."

e: in fairness, it was a fine plane for getting from A to B

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 6, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
340s are cool as poo poo. Who cares if the manufacturer is out of business?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

buttcrackmenace posted:

Sucks.

WTF, Seaborne.

Do not besmirch the 727.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

340s are cool as poo poo. Who cares if the manufacturer is out of business?

You shouldn't care one bit - tons of airplanes were really good technically only to be commercial failures. One could argue that neither the Fokker 100 nor the Saab 340 were financial failures either. They both failed under almost identical circumstances; both aircraft were good technically, but their larger, better-funded competition simply out-innovated them, leaving their previously good aircraft uncompetitive and with little hope of an upgrade...not that Saab and Fokker didn't try either. The Saab 2000 failed commercially (even though it was a Q400 ten years before the airlines knew they wanted a Q400), and the F100NG program never got much traction even though Rekkof (:haw:) pops up every once in a while and says "oh we're totes gonna build that (just give us five billion dollars)".

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Mike-o posted:

I've got some family that lives in Bonney Lake :stare: welp.

I live 5 minutes from Bonney Lake :stare:

This was a few miles from me. There's a private grass strip just up from me that has a few antique planes putt around on the sunny days. Wonder if they were coming out of there.

A lot of student training goes on in the area so I frequently hear engines cut to idle or power back up after stalls. I do remember hearing something power up and down, but I've no idea if that was it. I heard sirens that day which may have been related, too. Crazy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Previa_fun posted:

Hornets have the best vapor. Also neat vapor forming behind/beneath the wing's trailing edge. Low speed/high-AOA flight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Alpha_Research_Vehicle

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

Frankly I love engine noise. Hopefully it's a short flight at least.

Sure the Saabs are more comfortable than the Twin Otters which were previously used on this route. Pressurized, functional A/C, bigger seats, etc.

BUT

I like Otters. 7-second takeoff runs - even with a full load of pax - will never not be an awesome thing.

One of their pilots is a buddy of mine. I lost a bet with him over whether he could set us down before the runway #10 marker. He set us down on the piano keys. At STT.

I take this flight a least once a week. Going to miss my pilot buddy asking me about my "piano lessons" after giving the safety briefing. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

To continued on the discontinued aircraft tangent, why did the Bae 146 seem to fall out of favor so quickly? I used to see them quite often up here in Canada but haven't seen a flying example in years. I loved the idea of a little 4 jet turbofan :3:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The Saab 340 pays my bills, for the most part. I work on the odd CRJ, Dash-8, or (insert lovely Beech product here), but by and large I do most of my daily work on the Saab. There are still over 400 of them either in active service or in short-ish-term storage waiting to be leased. I'm a fan. I like having my bills paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

You shouldn't care one bit - tons of airplanes were really good technically only to be commercial failures. One could argue that neither the Fokker 100 nor the Saab 340 were financial failures either. They both failed under almost identical circumstances; both aircraft were good technically, but their larger, better-funded competition simply out-innovated them, leaving their previously good aircraft uncompetitive and with little hope of an upgrade...not that Saab and Fokker didn't try either. The Saab 2000 failed commercially (even though it was a Q400 ten years before the airlines knew they wanted a Q400), and the F100NG program never got much traction even though Rekkof (:haw:) pops up every once in a while and says "oh we're totes gonna build that (just give us five billion dollars)".
The token narrative for the demise of Fokker, Saab and Dornier as well was that the dollar at the time was so low in comparison to their respective local currencies they just couldn't turn a profit. Even today, whole aircraft are bought and sold in dollars, but suppliers and labor are paid in local currency (this is the pre-€ era so we're talking guilders, franks, kronar and deutschmarks here). The most tragic example is the stillborn Do728, which would have beaten the E170 to market by about five years but got cancelled just before its first flight. The prototype had been sitting in Oberpfaffenhofen for nearly 10 years sans engines and avionics before it finally got chopped up a few years ago.

Most people who were working for these companies either retired, formed/joined spinoffs which act as suppliers to present-day EADS/Airbus or other big companies, the military, ESA, government or other industries. Just a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of speaking to an elderly gentleman who in a former life was one of the test pilots for the Saab 2000, but is now an EASA CS-FSTD inspector, and was with us to evaluate our latest new toy. I have indeed met a lot of former test pilots, engineers and instructors that used to belong to these companies over the years... and listening to their stories and anecdotes it's reassuring to hear how these guys always seem to land on their feet :buddy:

You're right about Fokker/Rekkof though... as far as I'm concerned (even though I am the :geert:'est Dutchman when it comes to industry) it's just a scheme to get free pocketmoney from the government. Even an XF120 or whatever the hell they are calling it these days with GTFs will still be miles behind a C-series or Embraer E2.