Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Fart Car '97 posted:

Pz 38(t)A trip report: It owns.

Welcome to the Czechnology Fan Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Propagandist posted:

Thanks for the responses. Although there are things to mitigate being made into paste, that's still absolutely terrifying to me.

While we're on the topic, what did they do with the spent shell casings? Is there a hole in the bottom, or did they throw them out a hatch in the top, or what?

I mean in the WWII-esque tanks, mostly.

German tanks had a sling/basket type thing that caught shells that were ejected automatically and it had to be emptied every ten shots or so.

Generally there is some small hatch that you can throw spent casings out of, but in combat you might just have them rolling around on the floor. Hopefully into some nook where it won't cause much inconvenience until you can get a moment to throw out the casings.

T-34's were somewhat notorious for that since you had 1 guy doing both loading and gunning, so he definitely didn't have time to try and get rid of them, and the ammo was stowed in the floor. Now lots of tanks had ammo stowed in the floor, but they also generally had a turret basket, a separate thing you stood/sat/whatever on so that when the turret turned, you turned with it. No T-34 I'm aware of had a turret basket, only little seats hanging from the turret for the commander/gunner positions. So the loader was poo poo out of luck with regard to not having to chase the gun around the turret.

Here is the interior of the T-34-85:

The floor is the ammo. To be fair, lots of tanks had ammo in the floor but for the Sherman it was something more like this:

Rather than literally having the floor of your tank be the ammo boxes. Anyway, depending on circumstance you threw them out the top hatch, a small hatch in the rear or some other exit when you got a moment. As for the bottom hatch, I know the Sherman had one at least. It was an emergency escape for the driver/co-driver/really anyone who needed to exit the tank but couldn't because the tank was under mortar/artillery fire. I remember stories in the Pacific of Marines pinned down and wounded being rescued by Shermans driving up over them and pulling them up through the floor hatch.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
edit: beaten ^^

Taerkar posted:

Quite a few tanks had bottom hatches. I think I remember the Chieftan talking about one when he did the look at the Matilda II.

The Sherman tanks had a bottom hatch for the crew as well.

There's a story from a Russian tanker driving lend-lease Easy 8's about one time where they were hit by a shell from a Panther in the middle of some pretty intense combat. They all crawled out the bottom, and closed the hatch. They couldn't run away because there were machinegun fire all over the place, so instead they just laid under there as it got hotter and hotter from the fire raging inside their now abandoned tank. Soon the ammo started cooking off and exploding too, one shell at a time. Luckily, the tank was built sturdy enough so that the floor of the tank shielded them from the explosions going on inside, even though they were convinced they were all doomed.
The temperature under the tank was near reacord-breaking sauna temperature, though.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Do I have to manually switch my roster when I switch from air to land battles? It would be nice if it saved the roster I've selected for both.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

bUm posted:

I kind of hope these skins don't happen in WT tanks (dumb pubbies don't deserve crutches), but it doesn't really give an advantage over your average competent player who understands the general layout considerations others noted in the last couple pages.

I'm less concerned about people painting "shoot here to hit X" squares over enemy tanks and more concerned about "let me make every enemy tank bright orange so I can easily spot them in Simulator Battles."

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm less concerned about people painting "shoot here to hit X" squares over enemy tanks and more concerned about "let me make every enemy tank bright orange so I can easily spot them in Simulator Battles."

Scrub who does not paint all his tanks bright orange detected

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I bet you use the flags to actually camouflage your tank.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Scrub who does not paint all his tanks bright orange detected

Red is OK too?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

I bet you use the flags to actually camouflage your tank.

Wait you're all not marking your KV-2 as mobile toilete?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_toilet#Terminology

quote:

In non-English speaking Europe, either the local translation of "toilet" (for example "toilettes" in French), or "WC" (abbreviation for "water closet") are common. In Germany, toilets in buildings such as hotels are often labelled with the room number "00".

Soviet green - best green. It's not made out of humans! I swear!

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Japanese Corsair trip report: IT'S RAINING MONEY

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Feindfeuer posted:

Red is OK too?

Red is acceptable.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LAME recruitment denied.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Feindfeuer posted:

The 'shinyness' is regulated via the opacity of the layer, reduce it to reduce the metalic effect.

Oh ok thanks, I'll see if I can fix that.

Also target fixation is a terrible thing.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

LAME recruitment denied.

But The Pz IV Ausf.F2 does not have simple AP, he only has Panzergranate 39 (APCBC-HE-T, missing the HE-T in the description) Hohladungsgranate 39 (HEAT), Panzergranate 40 (APCR), and Sprgr 34 (:spergin: Shell)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

But The Pz IV Ausf.F2 does not have simple AP, he only has Panzergranate 39 (APCBC-HE-T, missing the HE-T in the description) Hohladungsgranate 39 (HEAT), Panzergranate 40 (APCR), and Sprgr 34 (:spergin: Shell)

The only :spergin: here is you.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Look how bad I got owned by this AI. Its like its track grabs me and tosses me out from behind cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQPMwZWDto

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Look how bad I got owned by this AI. Its like its track grabs me and tosses me out from behind cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQPMwZWDto

This is actually how I got my first death in my Tiger Ausf.B, enemy approaches from the front, Pz 38(t) comes in from behind and spins me 'round.

Michaellaneous posted:

The only :spergin: here is you.

Doing my best to be on the :spergin: top-list.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
http://warthunder.com/en/news/635-Upcoming-changes-to-Simulator-battles-en

RIP Sim. :( Nobody is gonna wanna fly either plane deathmatch or on closet-sized maps where you get instant killed by AAA.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks to the goons in the thread I've gotten rid of the over the top shiny effect. Now I must ask for help to choose which camo scheme to go for:

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
What seems to be going on with Combined Arms right now? Everything seems dead. I've been getting into 6 vs 6 games with guys who sit in the spawn and take pot shots at enemy AAA.

Is this a horrible time to try and start in the Russian tier 1?

Is there any way to do RB games that are tanks or planes only at the moment?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

What seems to be going on with Combined Arms right now? Everything seems dead. I've been getting into 6 vs 6 games with guys who sit in the spawn and take pot shots at enemy AAA.

I've been having the same issue, but I'm in tier 2. I think it might be server issues, because just a couple days ago I wasn't running into this problem.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I doubt it's a server issue and has more to do with people spawning in tanks only to take out the AAA so they can suicide and respawn with planes to (try to) murder the enemy ground forces. I had a lot of bad luck with soviet low-tiers doing exactly that. Kill AAA and than circle the map until the germans have overrun the few (or single) tank with the planes rarely managing to kill a single enemy tank..

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

No it happened to me earlier, too. Normal, then suddenly every game was tiny despite plenty of people online.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Pz 38(t)A trip report: It owns.

All the Czech tanks and the PzIII are literally the only german tanks I find even remotely fun to drive.

RIP 3.0 BR PzIIIM you scored a lot

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Ludicro posted:

Thanks to the goons in the thread I've gotten rid of the over the top shiny effect. Now I must ask for help to choose which camo scheme to go for:

Either 2 or 3

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ludicro posted:

2, naturally.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Feindfeuer posted:

I doubt it's a server issue and has more to do with people spawning in tanks only to take out the AAA so they can suicide and respawn with planes to (try to) murder the enemy ground forces. I had a lot of bad luck with soviet low-tiers doing exactly that. Kill AAA and than circle the map until the germans have overrun the few (or single) tank with the planes rarely managing to kill a single enemy tank..

People are not even bringing out planes. They spawn in tanks, die then thats it. Usually only 5 or 6 guys per team. I brought out my Premium Russian Rocket plane and just started wrecking dudes and I swear AI tanks capped the point because my team was in the spawn hanging out checking Smoke Pole decals.

Bolow posted:

All the Czech tanks and the PzIII are literally the only german tanks I find even remotely fun to drive.

RIP 3.0 BR PzIIIM you scored a lot

F2 for life. Get it. Talisman it. Cackle madly.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

NuckmasterJ posted:

F2 for life. Get it. Talisman it. Cackle madly.

I worked my way up to the Panther II in the CBT and the good german tanks start and end with the PzIII :colbert:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

No it happened to me earlier, too. Normal, then suddenly every game was tiny despite plenty of people online.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Guess I've been lucky than, I have a few smaller teams, but nothing like that so I just assumed that Nuckmaster was just venting steam because of the lack of actual ground forces in CA battles in soviet low-tier teams.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
They identified PS4 players with a star. :frog:

Anyone else been farming them for kills?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Honk Honk I'ma Tonk

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Michaellaneous posted:

LAME recruitment denied.

Um... I think that guy might actually be a goon, the name seems familiar?

But we've been getting a lot of random applications lately though so for future reference to anyone applying, GET ON MUMBLE! The only actual requirement I've set is that we want people who are actually trying to play together because teamwork and communication are the only genuinely OP things in this game. Skill doesn't matter, nor does memorizing all the angles and and armor thicnkesses - we just don't want there to be like 100 dudes in that don't even know each other. There is already a 'goons' chat channel to idle in if that's what you're looking for. :getin:

And to give you an idea of the kind of random pubbies that are usually applying, they are in regards to the following kind of chat spam:
    [LAME] is a Muslim Only clan looking for dedicated bombers!
    [LAME] is a Christian squadron recruiting mature, family friendly gamers. Our members do not believe in cursing during this online war crime simulator. We have a guild bank!
    [LAME] is a virgin only clan looking for intentional and/or born again virgins! We have a 1 slot TeamSpeak and fly with steering wheels only!
    [LAME] is a pacifist squadron that flies with Arados only because killing is mean and this is first and foremost a realistic flight SIMULATOR. Not everyone in war is a murderer.
    [LAME] is now recruiting people that don't want to actually play with us but have a funny tag! We don't have a teamspeak or a website but if you have any questions regarding the clan or game in general please PM Jingles for more info.
    [LAME] Ladies Are Mostly Enrolled is a GIRLS ONLY squadron looking for the next Lily of Stalingrad. Males are considered only if they are willing to obediently serve the matriarchy.
    [LAME] Losing and Making Excuses is recruiting hardcore cyber-warriors for ranked competitive battles. If you think you have what it takes, please schedule an appointment to begin your tryouts. No women, no kids. Just aces. Sorry.
So forgive us if it seems like we're blowing anyone off, but let us know who you are instead of simply submitting the request and never saying anything.

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
When you guys play games, do a lot of people seem...oddly obsessed with strategic bombing targets? They give 1.5x the points for, like, 10x the bombs dropped, right?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

When you guys play games, do a lot of people seem...oddly obsessed with strategic bombing targets? They give 1.5x the points for, like, 10x the bombs dropped, right?

They are so easy to hit that even the worst pubbie can pretend to contribute by bombing it. That is the entirety of their appeal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Davin Valkri posted:

They don't move, no one cares enough about them to murder bombers going after them, and it makes a "ding" noise and a voice recording says you did well. So the appeal is probably the same as when Candy Crush scrawls "Sweet" or "SUGAR-COMA!" across your screen as you run out of turns and lose.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Had my first taste of tier 4 tank combat. Color me unimpressed with the Tiger II. I engaged 2 of them, one with my T-34-85, one with my IS-2. I straight up shot clean through the angled front of the Tiger II's turret with default ammo, and I think it was the late model. The second one died to a single 85mm hit to it's commander's hatch.

On the other hand, the Jadgpanther is a little scary. Twice the firing speed of an IS-2, a thick front plate, and no glaring weaknesses. That loving thing bounced three shots of 122mm AP, and I succeeded only in disabling it's gun with a shot of HE. When it finally shot back, it fired one shot right through the front of my turret and killed me instantly. In plane news:

Pffft ahahahaha :frogout:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

Red is OK too?

That looks like something out of Warhammer 40K and that's awesome.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Bolow posted:

I worked my way up to the Panther II in the CBT and the good german tanks start and end with the PzIII :colbert:

It's almost like the Pz III was the only tank designed well for anti-tank duties, and all other were either wedged into the roll or had so much feature creep they were useless!

Huh, between this and WoT I think I'm ready to sign up for official forums and go Nazi trolling. Maybe these games aren't a waste of time after all?

Also strategic targets are things of beauty, as they give me something to do in my Wirraway as my tail gunner clubs seals for me.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Subyng posted:

That looks like something out of Warhammer 40K and that's awesome.

The best thing is that I use ingame decals to color my tanks red/orange, so those are not 'local' like the custom skins but everyone sees them. Downside is, that you need premium if you really want to cover all sides, as mirrored front + side is not enought to cover the complete model.

But it's worth it.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The best part about premium IS the fact that you can make anything one solid bright color

• Locked thread