Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's why I wanted them to port WarioWare. Or maybe even Yoshi Touch & Go. Or Nintendogs. Actually, pretty much any of the Touch Generation stuff is acceptable for a phone port.

The only WarioWare game that might work would be Twisted, and even then you'd need a touchscreen A button which would be pretty poop, or if they did Touched you'd need a capacitive stylus, or they'd have to rework most or all of the microgames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's why I wanted them to port WarioWare. Or maybe even Yoshi Touch & Go. Or Nintendogs. Actually, pretty much any of the Touch Generation stuff is acceptable for a phone port.

Touch and Go would be a lot worse with one screen missing bar some significant reworking, unless you enjoy getting hit by things you can't see coming.

Some games that were fantastic on DS and extensively used touch screen controls aren't necessarily good for iPhone, see: The World Ends With You (which was one of the best DS games, but lost a huge part of it in the transition to mobile).

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 4, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Touch and Go would be a lot worse with one screen missing bar some significant reworking, unless you enjoy getting hit by things you can't see coming.

Couldn't you just hold the phone vertically? Then you wouldn't have the gap in the screen like on the DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also lets not forget Sega did a wonderful job releasing all those Sega Genesis compilations. They both had the complete Shining Force for Genesis and Phantasy Star too. And they were released at a 20 dollar price point.
And I'm for Nintendo putting Virtual Console on other platforms, because I think they can be a driver towards people buying current Nintendo software wherever you put them IF THEY'RE AFFORDABLE, but much of their catalog I would say is poorly misjudged in value (why are NES games $5 when the companies who made them don't exist anymore and I can buy retail games made in past few years for 5 dollars or less at sales times?).

Plus there's the problem of them releasing one VC game a week most weeks, as if it was a precious endangered resource.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not sure why Nintendo would have to go mobile-only, especially considering their strength lies in traditional games, and that market remains on consoles, handhelds, and PCs. Besides, they could provide that middle ground that has been lost on these other platforms, as well as good local multiplayer games.

It's also why I'm not fond of quality of life applications, since that seems like a waste of good development teams. Is there anything that a veteran game developer could do in that field better than a start-up?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Nobody is saying go mobile only forever. They need short term cash now to keep them afloat, and they're losing their core audience. Focusing on mobile in addition to their core products would make a good short term move, I feel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

The only WarioWare game that might work would be Twisted, and even then you'd need a touchscreen A button which would be pretty poop, or if they did Touched you'd need a capacitive stylus, or they'd have to rework most or all of the microgames.

Why would they have to rework Touched?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why would they have to rework Touched?

There's a ton of precision stuff you couldn't do with your finger, your finger would obscure a lot of the screen which would ruin a lot of the games, and it's much more difficult to do things like quickly make circles with your finger. You'd need a dedicated capacitance stylus to play the game, which is a non-starter for most people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fremry posted:

It was a letdown to YOU. You being a videogame enthusiast/nerd/adult. It wasn't, by any means, a letdown to Ubisoft or their shareholders.

You literally have no idea if they made money back on this boondoggle or not, so what the gently caress are you smoking? gently caress the shareholders.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah for what it's worth we don't know what its budget and advertising budget Watch Dogs had, considering it was hyped for 2 years. I'm sure it isn't the kind of advertising budget of something like Destiny but a lot of money went into it that I wouldn't be surprised if they would consider anything short of 10m units sold to be a complete flop. Much like I'm sure Destiny wants to sell upwards of 15m.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nonsense posted:

You literally have no idea if they made money back on this boondoggle or not, so what the gently caress are you smoking? gently caress the shareholders.

It's the best selling new IP ever, sold 4 million copies its first week, and will likely beat their 6.3 million unit sales projection comfortably. I'm pretty sure they're happy with how the game's done.

e: Even if Watch_Dogs doesn't make back its budget somehow Ubisoft will still be fine with it. They've made a big splash and set the franchise up nicely. They'll be able to use the engine and assets to make cheaper sequels that they can crank out every couple of years and still sell millions and millions of copies.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 4, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

It's the best selling new IP ever, sold 4 million copies its first week, and will likely beat their 6.3 million unit sales projection comfortably. I'm pretty sure they're happy with how the game's done.

Besides, they'll be churning out annual sequels until the next generation rolls around.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Watch Dogs' budget has been reported as $68 million and they sold 4 million copies in the first week. That's a big budget, but if they made $20 on each copy, they turned a profit in the first week. Yves Guillemot said in May that they hope the title sells 6 million copies to match the original Assassin's Creed sales. They reached 2/3rds of the lifetime goal in the first week. I'd call that a home run for Ubisoft.

And "gently caress the shareholders" just goes to my point that there are two conversations in this thread. When you talk about the future of Nintendo, as a publicly traded company, you absolutely have to take the shareholders into count. Especially if their shares fall enough and their IP is attractive enough for a third party to attempt an acquisition. It's an absolute remote possibility at this point, but if Nintendo's management and board do not have a contingency plan, they are being foolish.

Again, it's purely hypothetical and the possibility is remote, but when you talk about a company that is not making the sales it needs and has IP as immediately recognizable and desirable as Nintendo, it's not unheard of. Talking about Watch Dogs in it's quality as a video game has no bearing on business when its total sales are approaching the total sales of a competing CONSOLE.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fremry posted:

And "gently caress the shareholders" just goes to my point that there are two conversations in this thread. When you talk about the future of Nintendo, as a publicly traded company, you absolutely have to take the shareholders into count. Especially if their shares fall enough and their IP is attractive enough for a third party to attempt an acquisition. It's an absolute remote possibility at this point, but if Nintendo's management and board do not have a contingency plan, they are being foolish.

Didn't they do a stock buyback a little while ago? That makes it seem like they're already trying to mitigate that risk.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Was there a point to the stock buyback other than to keep Iwata more in control of the company?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Was there a point to the stock buyback other than to keep Iwata more in control of the company?

As far as I know treasury shares can't vote, so I dunno if it gave him more control of anything. It did bump the stock price up a little but they can't really throw a billion dollars around every time it drops.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

To stop the share price collapsing.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

If the stock is low and you anticipate either a takeover or your plans to make a sudden spike in value it can make sense.

I think they saw how low investor confidence had been and decided it was the best course of action.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Didn't they do a stock buyback a little while ago? That makes it seem like they're already trying to mitigate that risk.

I didn't realize they did a stock buyback. Well, at least they have the business sense to mitigate a full out failure, but at the same time, it's pretty telling acknowledgement of poor performance.

Edit: And honestly with the real and potential value of all of their IP, they don't have an excuse for things to be bad enough to do a buyback.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Edmund Honda posted:

To stop the share price collapsing.

I am a dumb idiot who knows nothing about investing and financials. How does this prevent a share price collapse? Would people really see a stock buyback and then go "Yes, this is a great move that will benefit the company. I will buy this stock for more money than I otherwise would have"?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am a dumb idiot who knows nothing about investing and financials. How does this prevent a share price collapse? Would people really see a stock buyback and then go "Yes, this is a great move that will benefit the company. I will buy this stock for more money than I otherwise would have"?

Very basically, stock buybacks lower the number of shares. Less shares = more earnings per share.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Suspicious Dish posted:

Go read Sunning's post from back in February about it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549771&pagenumber=325&perpage=40#post425264181

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lack of innovation in games has more to do with rising production budgets than financial support from a console. Especially considering basically no console besides the Wii in the 40 years they've existed has actually made money on its own rather than as a loss leader for game licensing. Nintendo's production budgets are already going up, this is why they're releasing fewer and fewer innovative titles as opposed to Mario Kart HD and Super Mario HD World

Essentially they either need to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus or a big monolithic third party like Rockstar making GBS threads out extremely polished but unoriginal HD Mario games. I don't see any spot in the console market for them, unless they want to become a media conglomerate titan that can afford to have a loss leader console hanging about as they recoup the money from third party license fees and an army of second party studios.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think the situation with Nintendo was that Yamauchi's estate wanted to unload a bunch of his Nintendo shares. If they dumped all of them on the market it would depress the price, because there would be more shares available than investors would normally want to buy, so they would have to be offered a lower price in order to be induced to buy shares they don't even really want. Instead, Nintendo worked out a deal to buy them directly, bypassing the open market. This would normally have the added benefit of taking those shares out of the open market, so there are less available shares for potential investors to buy (meaning they would potentially have to pay a higher price to buy them), but since they were Yamauchi's shares they were never really on the open market anyway.

fake edit: sunning actually went over it rather well

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thank you. This is a good post.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why are we comparing Nintendo to Sega to make a point that no one can go third party and be successful? The lesson from Sega is that you don't drive yourself to near-bankruptcy with that one last gasp of a loss-leading console that causes you to nearly collapse by the end of its run. If Sega had cut their losses after Saturn and put all their Dreamcast games as PS2 launch titles and saved the billions they blew on Dreamcast then I bet they'd have been in better shape. Wii U is Nintendo's Saturn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Lack of innovation in games has more to do with rising production budgets than financial support from a console. Especially considering basically no console besides the Wii in the 40 years they've existed has actually made money on its own rather than as a loss leader for game licensing.
I think most of their consoles have sold at profit either on day 1 or within a year after launch. I don't think the Gamecube sold at profit at launch but it broke even within a year. The Wii U is the first Nintendo console where they'll still be taking a loss 2 years after launch, unless something changes that brings the cost of the gamepad down in a hurry.

icantfindaname posted:

Essentially they either need to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus or a big monolithic third party like Rockstar making GBS threads out extremely polished but unoriginal HD Mario games. I don't see any spot in the console market for them, unless they want to become a media conglomerate titan that can afford to have a loss leader console hanging about as they recoup the money from third party license fees and an army of second party studios.
Well they already have the second party studios and they have too many internal studios spread across 6 separate buildings to just become a 'small indie' company. They would more closely resemble a publisher like EA.

Nintendo's internal development teams. There are actually more than this but these are the ones involved in the games themselves:

EAD Group 1 (Mario Kart series)
EAD Group 2 (Animal Crossing series, NintendoLand, Wii Sports series)
EAD Group 3 (Zelda series)
EAD Group 4 (Pikmin series, NSMB series)
EAD Group 5 (Steel Diver, Star Fox 3D)

TSD Group 1 (Mario Galaxy, Ocarina of Time 3D)
TSD Group 2 (Mario 3D series, Flipnote)

SPD Group 1 (Warioware series, Rhythm Heaven series, Tomodachi Life)
SPD Group 2 (Tetris DS, Oversees 2nd party productions like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade)
SPD Group 3 (Oversees international projects like DKC Returns, Punch Out, Luigi's Mansion 2)
SPD Group 4 (Oversees 2nd party productions like Mario & Luigi RPG, Wii Party U, Mario Party)

SDG Group (Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Brain Age)

Acquired studios:

1-UP Studio (Magical Starsign, Fantasy Life)
Creatures Inc (PokePark series)
Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem series, Paper Mario series, Advance Wars, Pushmo series)
Monolith Soft (Xenoblade, X)
Nd Cube (Wii Party U, Mario Party series)
Retro Studios (Metroid Prime, DKC Returns)

Exclusive 2nd Party studios:

AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi RPG series)
Ambrella (Pokemon Rumble)
Arika (Endless Ocean, 3D Classics)
Arzest (Yoshi's New Island)
Asobism (Freakyforms)
Camelot (Mario Golf, Golden Sun)
GameFreak (Pokemon, Harmoknight)
Genius Sonority (The Denpa Men, Pokemon console titles)
Good Feel (Wario Land Shake It)
HAL Laboratory (Kirby series, Smash series)
Jupiter (Picross series)
Monster Games (Excite Truck, Pilotwings Resort)
Next Level Games (Punch Out, Mario Strikers, Luigi's Mansion 2)
Shin'en (technically) (Nano Assault, Jett Rocket)
Skip Ltd (Chibi Robo, Art Style series)
Vanpool (Dillon's Rolling Western)

Non-Exclusive studios:

Atlus (SMT x Fire Emblem)
Curve (Fluidity)
Ganbarion (Pandora's Tower)
iNiS (Elite Beat Agents)
Kuju (Art Academy)
Level 5 (Professor Layton)
Mistwalker (The Last Story)
Namco Bandai (Smash 4, Mario Kart Arcade)
Platinum (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101)
Tecmo Koei (Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Warriors)

If they went third-party they would definitely be Big Publisher, not Indie Underdog.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 5, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think most of their consoles have sold at profit either on day 1 or within a year after launch. I don't think the Gamecube sold at profit at launch but it broke even within a year.

I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards. Unless I'm mistaken, the Gamecube was not being sold at a loss at launch, but when the sales flopped Nintendo had to cut the price after 9 months, at which point it began being sold at a loss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thefncrow posted:

I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards. Unless I'm mistaken, the Gamecube was not being sold at a loss at launch, but when the sales flopped Nintendo had to cut the price after 9 months, at which point it began being sold at a loss.
Maybe that was it? I guess it started at profit and became a loss leader when they slashed the price. But they also slashed it like crazy, they slashed it from $199 to $99. Wii U didn't even get that kind of nuts markdown.

Iwata's said they don't want to slash price again on Wii U so it seems like they want to get to the point where they're breaking even on Wii U, but maybe they'll slash it anyway just to get in more homes and stimulate software sales. Which wouldn't happen now but closer to the holidays.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 5, 2014

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

Lack of innovation in games has more to do with rising production budgets than financial support from a console. Especially considering basically no console besides the Wii in the 40 years they've existed has actually made money on its own rather than as a loss leader for game licensing. Nintendo's production budgets are already going up, this is why they're releasing fewer and fewer innovative titles as opposed to Mario Kart HD and Super Mario HD World

Seems like you've got it all figured out!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

icantfindaname posted:

That makes sense. I think it has to do with both, really. Being a successful platform holder can definitely help (see: Valve) but you're probably right that rising production budgets are a much bigger factor. Especially when the value of being a console platform holder is shrinking and becoming a huge risk.

I think the issue is that the console market is shrinking, and it probably can't support 3 separate systems. Sony is doing well right now, so they're probably safe, but either Microsoft or Nintendo are going to have to bow out soon.

Right now, though, it's looking like it might be MS who ends up leaving. I wonder if that would help Nintendo, especially if it happened about two years from now, when Nintendo said their next gaming platform will be ready.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nintendo isn't going anywhere but please discuss the topic at length for another 500 pages, ta

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Right now, though, it's looking like it might be MS who ends up leaving. I wonder if that would help Nintendo, especially if it happened about two years from now, when Nintendo said their next gaming platform will be ready.
There's no doubt it would help because right now Nintendo is not the Other Guy, they're the "oh and there's also". Fewer choices is bad for consumers but it would be better for Nintendo.

The problem is that... if they don't build an actual modern future proof console, that benefit means nothing. They can't repeat the cycle with third parties again. It has to be Nintendo exclusives AND multi-platform parity. Anything short of that will just be history repeating itself.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Nintendo isn't going anywhere but please discuss the topic at length for another 500 pages, ta

Nintendo will continue to be a company, there's just too much brand recognition and beloved IP for that to stop. However, that does not mean that Nintendo in 5-10 years is going to look anything like the Nintendo we've all known since 1985.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Fremry posted:

Nintendo will continue to be a company, there's just too much brand recognition and beloved IP for that to stop. However, that does not mean that Nintendo in 5-10 years is going to look anything like the Nintendo we've all known since 1985.

I think you're right about that, but comments like saying Nintendo "needs to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus" are some of the most armchair critic comments I've read

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Why are we comparing Nintendo to Sega to make a point that no one can go third party and be successful? The lesson from Sega is that you don't drive yourself to near-bankruptcy with that one last gasp of a loss-leading console that causes you to nearly collapse by the end of its run. If Sega had cut their losses after Saturn and put all their Dreamcast games as PS2 launch titles and saved the billions they blew on Dreamcast then I bet they'd have been in better shape. Wii U is Nintendo's Saturn.

Being adamantly against a third-party Nintendo makes sense, as long as you start from the assumption that Nintendo has a good chance of producing another successful hardware platform.

That is not an assumption I share.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I think you're right about that, but comments like saying Nintendo "needs to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus" are some of the most armchair critic comments I've read

Well the more realistic option is 'go out of business' but I have a feeling that wouldn't satisfy Nintendo's defenders either

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
B-b-but warchest!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just think finally the sonic fandom won't be alone in their crazy misguided world of countless animal friends. Nintendo stuff will become canon for them, for they shall see a kindred spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782230/wii-sports-club-bundle-release-date

Wii Sports Club is getting a US retail release on July 25th, eShop Release on June 26th. $40 for all 5 games.

Can't figure out if they strategy to releasing digital releases before retail releases (NES Remix, Super Luigi U, Wii Fit U, etc.). Is it because the game is done and they want to make it available ASAP, or are they delaying the retail release to get people to purchase on the eShop? Or both?

• Locked thread