Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Man getting killed repeatedly on the stray demon trying to get the rusted iron ring. That red aoe has huge range and I'm still using my crappy drake sword

As others have said, he's not necessary for the ring. However, if you want to try to beat him it might not be a bad idea to be wielding something +7 or so. Once you get his tells down, you can reliably stay behind him, back out of the way for his AOE (it also hits behind him, despite the animation), and two hand to speed things up. Ideally you shouldn't be blocking him very much if at all.

Also, despite what it looks like, the AOE is magic damage and not fire. So while I would advise just not getting hit by it, if you wanted to spec for it, then magic defense is what you should be looking at there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Which is the best bonfire to rest at for Capra demon attempts? I seem to remember there being one closer than the main undead burg bonfire but its a long time ago now since I played

Edit: nevermind got him second attempt

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

Which is the best bonfire to rest at for Capra demon attempts? I seem to remember there being one closer than the main undead burg bonfire but its a long time ago now since I played

I typically use Firelink. You can ignore the first hollows, run down the tunnel with the female merchant, and Lower Undeadburg is basically right there. I think it's like a 3 to 4 minute run.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
For Stray Demon, get snug up behind him, put in a few hits, and then whenever he curls over to vomit his AOE attack, roll back a few times. Think of the hitbox as a giant expanding sphere that starts at his mouth.

You have to be very patient, but as long as you're careful you won't take any damage.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

For Stray Demon, get snug up behind him, put in a few hits, and then whenever he curls over to vomit his AOE attack, roll back a few times. Think of the hitbox as a giant expanding sphere that starts at his mouth.

You have to be very patient, but as long as you're careful you won't take any damage.
Draw a line from the rear right of its right foot and to The tip of its tail. That's the safe zone. Patience is key. Stay naked, get running. I think it doesn't aggo of you are naked.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I found the capra demon so easy this time since playing DS2 made me realise that with a shield up you can just strafe round most attacks on anything taller than you. Last time I beat it I think I kept rolling so was getting clipped occasionally as I timed my roll wrong

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jose posted:

I think I found the capra demon so easy this time since playing DS2 made me realise that with a shield up you can just strafe round most attacks on anything taller than you. Last time I beat it I think I kept rolling so was getting clipped occasionally as I timed my roll wrong

It depends on the stability and your stamina, if you go in as a mage with your puny Heater Shield the jumping attack (and the dual-weapon swing) will go right through your shield.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He never did the jumping attack and the 2h swing took out around 4/5ths of my stamina. Moving around him avoided most of it. Used the crest shield though

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crap. I just beat Lautrec in Anor Londo for the first time and got the Fire Keeper Soul, which I promptly used to upgrade my flask. I'm considering cheating for the first time. Is there a way I can give myself Anastacia's soul in my inventory and complete her questline?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Suck it up and keep the plan in mind for NG+. There's really no "quest line", you basically already got the real reward when you picked up her clothes. Others consider stomping Lautrec to be the real reward.

All you're missing out on is a fully-kindled Firelink bonfire, if you haven't done that on your own yet. And if not, why? It's just 2 humanity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Suck it up and keep the plan in mind for NG+. There's really no "quest line", you basically already got the real reward when you picked up her clothes. Others consider stomping Lautrec to be the real reward.

All you're missing out on is a fully-kindled Firelink bonfire, if you haven't done that on your own yet. And if not, why? It's just 2 humanity.

Firelink will permanently be blanked out now though. Well, until New Game + anyway.

I would suggest not cheating anyway, if only because it'd get really dumb risking a ban from GFWL for cheating. Not sure if they even enforce that at all, but you never know and I prefer to not mess with online play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't cheat. You killed her and now you must accept the guilt.

I felt the same way when I accidentally murdered the Fair Lady.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Firelink will permanently be blanked out now though.

Firelink altar also counts as a bonfire, right? It's like 10 meters away.

Not that you really ever need to visit Firelink past Anor Londo except for the very end game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

HenryEx posted:

Not that you really ever need to visit Firelink past Anor Londo except for the very end game.
It's not on the travel list, but yeah it does count as one.

sector_corrector posted:

Crap. I just beat Lautrec in Anor Londo for the first time and got the Fire Keeper Soul, which I promptly used to upgrade my flask. I'm considering cheating for the first time. Is there a way I can give myself Anastacia's soul in my inventory and complete her questline?
Kill the other Firekeepers now, Lautrec passed the torch to you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How does Lautrec even get in there to kill her? Thats the real question.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
^^ Well his weapon attacks can bypass shields...

HenryEx posted:

Firelink alter?

Now that I've done the game once I'm gonna take a shot at the optional Anor Londo bosses after I take care of Seath.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenryEx posted:

New Londo is going to be a royal loving pain in the rear end if I have to start at the altar.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The bonfire you screw yourself out of by not reading the item description is the closest one to the 4 kings as far as i know. Undead Parish is only 20 seconds+elevator ride away with no notable enemies to evade, but i guess if you die a lot on that boss it gives you enough time to ponder what a horrible soul eating monster you are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Could also go from Darkroot basin, run past some drakes...

Uh, maybe a bad idea.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

sector_corrector posted:

New Londo is going to be a royal loving pain in the rear end if I have to start at the altar.
Once you lower the water level, you can just rush to 4king easily, so don't worry about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Could also go from Darkroot basin, run past some drakes...

Uh, maybe a bad idea.

I actually tried this once while struggling on the 4 kings, thinking maybe it would be faster than running past the ghosts.

It's a real bad plan.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Mordaedil posted:

I would suggest not cheating anyway, if only because it'd get really dumb risking a ban from GFWL for cheating. Not sure if they even enforce that at all, but you never know and I prefer to not mess with online play.

Oh no, a ban from a soon-to-be-obsolete service!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The bonfire you screw yourself out of by not reading the item description is the closest one to the 4 kings as far as i know. Undead Parish is only 20 seconds+elevator ride away with no notable enemies to evade, but i guess if you die a lot on that boss it gives you enough time to ponder what a horrible soul eating monster you are.

You can still warp to Firelink when it's unlit.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

pun pundit posted:

It's not even that, over all the years of people hacking or editing savegames there has been like a single gfwl ban for some fucker who was actively corrupting other people's savegames with dev testing spells, nothing else.

pun pundit posted:

Oh, right. Duh. So it's even shorter and only a load screen and you can do it from any fully kindled bonfire.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

oldpainless posted:

How does Lautrec even get in there to kill her? Thats the real question.

I, too, wonder how did he bypass the bars with 30cm gaps between them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pun pundit posted:

That's true, I actually didn't consider that. I guess I'll just suck it up and do that. I was sort of hoping to rescue Anastascia this time since I just kicked Lautrec off the cliff for his ring with my last character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

It has already survived 3 days past when it was supposed to die.

And Phil Spencer seems to aim to actually keep it around after all.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Mordaedil posted:

It has already survived 3 days past when it was supposed to die.

And Phil Spencer seems to aim to actually keep it around after all.
GFWL is (supposedly) shutting down at the beginning of July, not June. Also, I'm pretty sure that practically nobody has ever been banned from GFWL for hacking in Dark Souls.

But don't do it because it doesn't really affect anything major in the game anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Yeah I know about the drake sword scaling being useless, I'm not going to upgrade it either, just using it for now until I get a better weapon

Drake Sword is done by the time you open up the Depths. I've taken it all the way through Sen's Fortress but unless you hate yourself you won't want to do that. You can get Astora's Straight Sword by the undead dragon in the Valley of the Drakes, which deals holy damage and allows you to permanently kill skeletons. This will let you go to the left of Firelink and pick up the Zweihander.

There's also a Halberd in the Undead Parish. The Halberds are fantastic weapons in this game, their moveset is amazing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Drake Sword is done by the time you open up the Depths. I've taken it all the way through Sen's Fortress but unless you hate yourself you won't want to do that. You can get Astora's Straight Sword by the undead dragon in the Valley of the Drakes, which deals holy damage and allows you to permanently kill skeletons. This will let you go to the left of Firelink and pick up the Zweihander.

There's also a Halberd in the Undead Parish. The Halberds are fantastic weapons in this game, their moveset is amazing.

The skeletons in the graveyard stay down. It's just the ones in the catacombs that have necromancers and need divine to put down if the necromancer is up. The only problem with going to the skeletons immediately is that they're kind of tough unless you bring a weapon that can knock them apart and you need to carefully manage them since they basically all come in at least a pair and bleed will hurt you even if you hunker behind a good shield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Astora's Straight Sword is strong enough to kill them in like three hits at base and the Drake Sword is a little stronger. You can make Astora's stronger than the Drake pretty easily with scaling, too though maybe not worth the twinkling titanite to upgrade.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What and where would I find early dex-based weapons for my 2nd character? Killed the gargoyles and their tail weapon seems like the only half-decent dex weapon. Am I missing something? (playing as the wanderer. Scemitar is getting annoying for its lack of kick and weird power attacks)

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 5, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

double nine posted:

What and where would I find early dex-based weapons for my 2nd character? Killed the gargoyles and their tail weapon seems like the only half-decent dex weapon. Am I missing something?

You have a few options early on.

1) Buy a scimitar from the Undead Merchant in Undead Burg
2) Murder that same merchant for his hanzo steel.
3) Grind a Balder Side Sword from the Balder Knights in the Undead Parish
4) Grab the Winged Spear in the Firelink graveyard
5) Grind skeletons for the Falchion.

E: Oh, you already have a Scimitar. The Falchion's moveset is the same, though, so that won't really solve your problem either.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 5, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The curved sword moveset in Dark Souls 1 is much better when you're using two hands, IMO. Instead of kicking shield-bearing enemies, I switch back to one hand and parry them instead.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

double nine posted:

What and where would I find early dex-based weapons for my 2nd character? Killed the gargoyles and their tail weapon seems like the only half-decent dex weapon. Am I missing something?

If you get lucky and or hate yourself, there's always the Balder Side Sword :)

Alternatively, poke into blighttown for the iaito.
If you don't care about murdering defenseless people, you can get the uchigatana from the undead merchant in the burg.

e: beaten by a better post.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're gonna kill a merchant, please remember to buy all the poo poo they sell first. Key items specifically, I don't remember whether he drops the key he sells or the bottomless box.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think he does drop the key but you have to get the box from someone else. Domhall maybe?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
I think Andre sells the bottomless box as well as the repair box, but I might be mistaken.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What is the point of the bottomless box when your inventory is already bottomless?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So that in case you want to have something for a rainy day Fashion Souls, but not have to scroll past it every single time you gently caress with that equipment slot, you can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you guys like Red Letter Media, they're streaming a playthrough right now (I dunno, if it's blind or not).

http://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live

edit: hahaha, he just got clobbered by the Asylum Demon and screamed "Oh poo poo!" so I think it's blind.

• Locked thread