Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just restart the browser. I can't go back to normal rendering now. I hope you people aren't on dev, I was hoping they'd fixed that by now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My internet is sometimes unstable and will drop for a second or two, which causes downloads to poo poo themselves and die in a way that can't be resumed. Are there any download managers that can help with this? OR is there another way to get Chrome to cancel a download, but keep the temporary data so it can be resumed from where it left off? If I have to spend an hour to download 790mb of an 800 mb file for it to crap out AGAIN I'm going to scream.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You have to get an external download manager that integrates with Chrome. I know a couple of them get recommended here every now and then, can't remember which ones though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
No you don't, Chrome already supports resuming downloads. It's in chrome://flags

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
I am making a web app for a client that will be shown in a kiosk, so there won't be any need for interaction with the OS. I want to boot up Chrome in kiosk mode, but with a specific URL. I am aware that I can boot up chrome normally in kiosk mode, however, when using Tools->Create Application Shortcut option, kiosk mode does not work. Anyone know a solution?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Whizbang posted:

No you don't, Chrome already supports resuming downloads. It's in chrome://flags

I tried flipping that on, but it doesn't work. The download drops to 0kb/sec and stays there until I cancel it, and then there's no way to start from where it left off

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

I tried flipping that on, but it doesn't work. The download drops to 0kb/sec and stays there until I cancel it, and then there's no way to start from where it left off

The server has to support it, too.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

e: new question - is there a way to stop chrome from diabling the Youtube Center extension?

baram. fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 2, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have some four dozen tabs open right now*, in Firefox. I can navigate between groups of tabs using Panorama just fine, but organizing them in Chrome seems to be limited to "use a new window for each grouping, hope Chrome remembers them all if it gets restarted/crashes" which is less than ideal. I know Chrome used to have Tab Sugar to emulate Panorama but that thing was always a buggy nightmare, and doesn't seem to be updated. Are there any newer analogues to Panorama (or perhaps a hidden builtin)?

Failing that, how do you all organize open tabs?

* gotta use that 16gb ram on somethin

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Baram posted:

e: new question - is there a way to stop chrome from diabling the Youtube Center extension?

Use tamper monkey.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chrome seems to be gradually not working. For example it started with the built-in PDF viewer sometimes not recognizing pdf files. Then translate stopped recognizing foreign languages. Then the pdf viewer stopped loading pdfs, I just get an error page. Now sometimes links won't open, I click and click but nothing happens. Sometimes if I have several browser windows open, most of them will go blank and reloading the page sometimes brings back the content, sometimes not. LastPass has stopped working several times. Browser is up to date, not running any new extensions. Avast and Malwarebytes report all is well. All this has been gradual over a period of months. Not sure what is going on. I suppose I could uninstall/reinstall if I have to.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I tried to use Chrome but I can't even get flash to work so I got rid of it again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Chrome is finally about to go 64-bit.

https://plus.google.com/102860501900098846931/posts/7QWBVYnHK53

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Been using that since yesterday afternoon (my first foray into the dev channel) and it is working pretty well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That I'm still seeing this day...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

As far as I can tell Chrome 64-bit doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins. (Granted I don't exactly have a big sample size, just a PDF plugin (since Google's is kinda crap) and Unity Player, but still.)

Well that's one way to deal with NPAPI.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As far as I can tell Chrome 64-bit doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins. (Granted I don't exactly have a big sample size, just a PDF plugin (since Google's is kinda crap) and Unity Player, but still.)

I know that on Linux they killed NPAPI support in v35 in any case.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Youtube, Adblock and Ghostery work, so gently caress 32bit. :toot:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That's pretty fair and I'm not going to back off from 64-bit over this. (Then again I don't think we'll have a choice because Google, but even if we did.)

It just sucks I gotta load PDFs in an external app now, because how is two-up not an option for widescreen monitors in 20-the-hell-14.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I tried to install the x64 version over my regular Chrome install yesterday but it wouldn't load any web pages. I might try totally uninstalling and reinstalling the dev version later today and seeing how that goes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not sure which of my plugins are 32-bit and which aren't, but when I was on the Dev build, it seemed to work fine with all plugins.

Though it also seemed to enjoy using all 8GB of my RAM and made my computer unresponsive so I went back to 32-bit. :v:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

What is NPAPI?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aren't plugins sandbox in their own processes so the container browser bit size is irrelevant?

Even Microsoft fixed that poo poo in MSIE11.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm having a weird issue with Chrome, when I try to save a picture the dialog box doesn't sort the contents of the destination folder by date (as is my default setting) sorting them by name instead and sometimes doesn't even load my subfolders, trying to refresh the window and/or changing the sorting doesn't do a thing. The problem is fixed by clearing the cache and download history so isn't a big deal but is a chore doing that everytime I open Chrome. Is there anything I could do to fix this issue?

My Chrome is the 35.0.1916.114 m version and the only extensions I have installed are adblock, All Mangas Reader and SA Fixes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh yay.

Looks like the bug where the Chrome App Launcher just outright disappears after switching from Canary/Dev/Beta to Stable is back.

Ah well. That'll me for trying to test stuff for Google, I guess. :v:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

MrMoo posted:

Aren't plugins sandbox in their own processes so the container browser bit size is irrelevant?

Last I checked, IE 64-bit has really strict requirements for plugins: they must have both 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs installed and support Enhanced Protected Mode (which requires changes to the code).

In any case, Chrome isn't going to support NPAPI in a year at all, so there's no reason to implement it in 64 bits. At least, that's what they claim, but based on their track record, that's likely to change.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MrMoo posted:

Internet Explorer for (64-bit versions of*) Windows can count on having 32- and 64-bit sandboxes available. I don't have any experience with Chrome's codebase but it wouldn't surprise me if Chrome 64 had basically no 32-bit parts.

*Why the hell do I still have to make this distinction, Microsoft.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

unpronounceable posted:

What is NPAPI?

Ye olde standard plugin API from days of Netscape yore.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any way to launch chrome apps from the omnibar? I recently started using the Sunrise Calendar app, which is awesome, but I miss being able to just type in "c" and hit enter to go to the normal google calendar site.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've been using chrome for a long time and all of a sudden everything looks all lovely and blurry and I can't figure out why. I was using my PC with my TV instead of my normal monitor and when I switched back the problem started, I've done this many times before without having this issue. I tried reverting my settings back to the defaults and that didn't help, I'm using version 37.0.2031.2 dev-m with Windows 7.

EDIT: To clarify, this problem only occurs in Chrome. If I do a side-by-side with firefox text looks fine in Firefox but awful in Chrome.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 8, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The problem almost certainly isn't with Chrome. You could, and probably should, move (not delete) your user data folder out of position to make sure, and reset the settings in chrome://flags - I don't know if these are profile, user or system level, but I'm not expecting much out of it.

Check that your display is attached over a digital connection, your OS resolution is set to the display's native resolution, and your graphics drivers aren't doing overscan or other TV adjustments or something.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 7, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ok so apparently you can't manually add plug-ins anymore, which is dumb.

Is there no way to turn something simple like Something Awful Single Post Link back on?

e: Nvm, just had to use developer mode

Krowley fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 10, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just incidentally noticed in Windows Task Manager, under processes there are 4 different instances of Chrome.exe everytime I open chrome. Each of them takes up about 100,000k of RAM. Is this normal?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yup, seeing a billion chrome processes is normal. Each tab is sandboxed for security reasons, as are plugins I believe.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Krowley posted:

Ok so apparently you can't manually add plug-ins anymore, which is dumb.

Is there no way to turn something simple like Something Awful Single Post Link back on?

e: Nvm, just had to use developer mode

Did you only have to click developer mode? I have developer mode clicked and I still can't enable any non-web store extensions.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

It seems there's no way to re-enable the extensions, even if you turn Developer mode on.

It looks like you'll need to remove those disabled extensions and then follow these instructions to re-install:

quote:

If you want to install a third-party extension (say, from http://www.chromeextensions.org), you would do this...

• Save the .crx from the website to your computer.
  • Use a file archiver (e.g. 7-Zip) to extract the contents of the .crx to a folder. (Note: make sure you put this folder in a safe place where it can stay, don't delete it as this will remove the extension from Chrome.)
  • Go to chrome://extensions/ in your browser, tick the box to turn on Developer mode (top right of the page).
  • Click "Load unpacked extension..." button, select the folder from Step 2 to install.
  • That should install it correctly and you should be done! However, if Step 4 gives you an error saying something about a 'manifest_version' key, then...
  • Open the folder you created in Step 2.
  • Open manifest.json with Notepad/Notepad++.
  • Add this somewhere in the document between the {} braces (or change the number to 2 if they already have a manifest_version entry):
    "manifest_version": 2,
  • Save.
  • Go to chrome://extensions/ in your browser, click "Load unpacked extension..." button, select the folder from Step 2 to install.
Notes:
  • yuela has pointed out that by sideloading extensions like this that you now get a message asking if you want to disable the extensions every time you start up Chrome. Unfortunately it seems that this is intended and there probably isn't any (easy) way to disable that message, but if someone finds a nice solution I'll include it (otherwise it's just a small thing we'll have to put up with). (I may eventually succomb to paying $5 to upload my extensions to the Web Store for personal use, as that developer suggested....)
  • AClosetBrony has pointed out that changing manifest_version to 2 may not work for all extensions (they may remain broken).
As for userscripts, just use Tampermonkey.

(Reddit source)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I just reinstalled the enterprise MSI, and my extensions started working again. Weird. I'm on stable channel, latest version, not in a domain, and don't even have developer mode enabled, yet I can still drop .crx files onto the extension page just like before.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
E: wrong thread.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

dpbjinc posted:

I just reinstalled the enterprise MSI, and my extensions started working again. Weird. I'm on stable channel, latest version, not in a domain, and don't even have developer mode enabled, yet I can still drop .crx files onto the extension page just like before.

I got a bunch of complaints this week at work about a userscript I wrote once version 35.0.1916.153 m rolled out.

Users got the message "To make Chrome safer, we disabled some extensions that aren't listed in the Chrome Web Store...."

I had the same userscript installed but after receiving that Chrome update, the userscript was still enabled for me. Even after restarting the browser or rebooting my computer. So maybe they are doing some kind of tiered rollout to gather feedback?

At any rate I had everybody just install Tampermonkey per the recommendation in this thread. Which is awesome because now I can use things like @require and @downloadURL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

You can enable third party addons by configuring chrome via group policy.

Step 1. Follow the steps on this page to download the chrome.adm (or adml/admx) file and add it to your local policy editor.

Step 2. Configure the extensions/extension installation whitelist policy

Step 3. Copy the extension's ID (example: mjlaoepepibiemhcfjfekbihdpbeplme) from chrome's extension page, and add it in the policy editor. You don't need to add every single extension to the whitelist, just ones that were disabled by chrome's recent change.

Step 4. Restart chrome, go into the extensions page and you can now re-enable the third party extensions that you added to the whitelist.

I just did this in win7, works great. You'll want the .adm file from the windows/adm/en-US folder in that zip file, put it in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\, start the policy editor by typing "gpedit.msc" in the start menu's run box, right click computer config/admin templates to add a template, then you can edit the whitelist.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 14, 2014