Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

but that riding position is weird to me

This is usually my first impression of any bike I get on that I haven't had some miles to adjust to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

I've decided I don't really want a tall bike with a wide bar.

I went to a KTM demo event and the single non-super Duke that they had with them was taken up for the rest of the rides that day, so I rode the 690 Enduro which is the closest thing to a 690 SMC that we can get in the states.

That bike is hilarious. I was grinning and laughing throughout the whole demo. The thing is loud and rattly like an old garbage truck falling off the Empire State Building. It also accelerates as fast. It's super fun, but that riding position is weird to me, and I couldn't ride it on the highway (even without the "oh no the cops are chasing me" whine of the off-road tars) for more than 15 minutes.

Also I was on tippy-toes at every stoplight. I felt like a beautiful ballerina.

You're in the Chicagoland area, right? I saw a group of people test riding a bunch of different KTMs yesterday on 83 around 5:30 in the Addison/Villa Park area. If you were in that group, where were the test rides being given? I gave a semi-serious thought to following the group and trying to get a test ride since everyone here raves about them, and pretty much all I have ridden are cruisers, but then thought better of it and didn't want to deal with my wife yelling at me for wanting to buy another bike when I just bought my newest one last October (and still haven't sold my old one).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

americanzero4128 posted:

You're in the Chicagoland area, right? I saw a group of people test riding a bunch of different KTMs yesterday on 83 around 5:30 in the Addison/Villa Park area. If you were in that group, where were the test rides being given? I gave a semi-serious thought to following the group and trying to get a test ride since everyone here raves about them, and pretty much all I have ridden are cruisers, but then thought better of it and didn't want to deal with my wife yelling at me for wanting to buy another bike when I just bought my newest one last October (and still haven't sold my old one).

That's crazy; that's probably the exact ride I was on. They were doing it out of MCC in Villa Park (Lake Villa? Villa Park.) but by the time I signed up for my ride, most of them were taken up, and by the time I got back they were all taken up. I was going to give it another go-round on whatever they had left, but nothin' doin'. Did you see a dude in an Iron Maiden helmet hamfistedly accelerating a bigass dirtbike?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

That's crazy; that's probably the exact ride I was on. They were doing it out of MCC in Villa Park (Lake Villa? Villa Park.) but by the time I signed up for my ride, most of them were taken up, and by the time I got back they were all taken up. I was going to give it another go-round on whatever they had left, but nothin' doin'. Did you see a dude in an Iron Maiden helmet hamfistedly accelerating a bigass dirtbike?

Yes, I saw what looked like an Iron Maiden sticker along the back of the helmet. I thought to myself "I need to get some sweet rear end stickers for my helmet". I was the dude two lanes over in the black helmet, black leather jacket, black gloves, on the black Honda cruiser (that has no Honda markings on it anywhere any longer) with the windshield. Black. Lots of black. I didn't even do the all black on purpose, it just sort of happened.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Digital_Jesus posted:

You can justify it pretty easy honestly.

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom.

In the matter of a day I think I have performed the mental gymnastics to justify it to myself!

1) My bike is a vibey, awful sounding thing that needs new tires at best, and maybe a new engine at worst.
2) The vibes and the seating position make my hands go numb and my wrists hurt horribly if I'm on the bike for more than 45 minutes or so. (Have a lot of damage in that area from 20 years of playing bass.) It's fine for daily commuting, though.

So I guess my options are new tires, bar risers and potentially a new/used engine for the 500, and have a bike that I'm still going to want to sell sooner than later, or sell it now and bank the money towards something like an older Versys or something else light but upright?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sell the bike. Buy an 1190 Adventure. Never look back.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
Might have the opportunity to pick up a 1978 Cb750k with 13k miles and only second owner for a thousand dollars. Worth picking up? Does need a bit of cosmetic work, rusted out mufflers, dinged up gastank, etc. Runs well enough. Worth picking up?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Sell the bike. Buy an 1190 Adventure. Never look back.

God, I wish.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheCoconutman posted:

Might have the opportunity to pick up a 1978 Cb750k with 13k miles and only second owner for a thousand dollars. Worth picking up? Does need a bit of cosmetic work, rusted out mufflers, dinged up gastank, etc. Runs well enough. Worth picking up?

Sounds like poo poo to me. Low mileage just means the engine internals will be sweet; everything else will still be 36 years old and need replacing/fixing before you can ride it without constantly breaking down.

And then you'll just have a lovely Old Bike which is quite heavy and fairly slow. Unless you specifically have a hard-on for old bikes, don't do it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

unless you're in love with the styling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That thing looks really cool.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:pwn:

E: vv I'm kinda of on the fence about the styling, but at least I can tell an S1000RR from a mile away, unlike the Big Four's bikes.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 5, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't give a poo poo, I love bmw's whack-rear end headlight styling. Except the sr1000rr, but that's because they're separated.

^^^ yeah, but for the shark bike I don't care about styling as much because it's loving amazing.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 5, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The naked version is phenomenal to ride, apparently.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah, I loving love how that looks. Which is weird, admittedly.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

The naked version is phenomenal to ride, apparently.

The F800S - the version of this with bikini fairings and clip-ons - is easily the comfiest sport-ish bike I've ever ridden, FWIW. Ergos are spot on for me (I'm 6'2). Something about the shape of the tank and where the bikini fairing stops makes it ridiculously easy to grip with the thighs and use core strength to hold body position and stay light on the handlebars. When I raved about this to the friend that let me borrow hers, she said that's a common sentiment among taller F800 owners. Surprised that those bikes get so little love, tbh.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Oh wow :monocle:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wait, gas tank's the back fairing? Interesting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I do think they look cool, and had they stuck with the belt drive, I'd put it on a list of things. I know why they went with chain for the F800GS, but why did they do it for the R? Of all the F bikes I'd go for the ST, though a S with the front end bits of an R would be perfect. However, the cost of doing such a thing on top of paying BMW prices would make the whole exercise kind of dumb.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy crap I love that bike for some reason! I normally like BMW's demented headlight arrangement, which says "I'm a crazy rear end motherfucker and I will do whatever the hell," and in the case of the S1000RR is totally true.

But that thing is boss. I would totally ride an F800R and not feel like an old man with a gray ponytail. Although for some reason I want to paint it Olive Drab or matte grey.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like poo poo to me. Low mileage just means the engine internals will be sweet; everything else will still be 36 years old and need replacing/fixing before you can ride it without constantly breaking down.

And then you'll just have a lovely Old Bike which is quite heavy and fairly slow. Unless you specifically have a hard-on for old bikes, don't do it.

Already bought it , had fixed it up for a friend of a friend has new tires, rebuilt front brake, new cables and rebuilt carbs. If it didn't have all the new stuff I'd walk away. I wouldn't say I have a hard on for old bikes but first motorcycle I bought was a non running 67 triumph so I'm planning on cleaning the honda up, riding it then flipping to fund an engine rebuild on the triumph.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
OK you all reacted precisely the wrong way to that photo. Let me lay it all down for you. I will say, as a member of no less than 3 different BMW clubs, each of which regularly mail me newsletters that I read, that the F800R is one of the most hideous bikes ever made. Close behind or tied with it are the R1100GS and R1100RS. You cannot like that bike. You're not allowed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

OK you all reacted precisely the wrong way to that photo. Let me lay it all down for you. I will say, as a member of no less than 3 different BMW clubs, each of which regularly mail me newsletters that I read, that the F800R is one of the most hideous bikes ever made. Close behind or tied with it are the R1100GS and R1100RS. You cannot like that bike. You're not allowed.

I figured that's what you were going for, but I still like it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think at 3 BMW club membership all your opinions are driven by your jealous dreams of actually doing anything on your motorcycle. The F800R reminds you of people having fun on bikes due to it's undistinguished, devil may care nature, and that just reminds you of your life less lived.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I figured that's what you were going for, but I still like it.

I have that exact photo of the F800R as one of my desktop wallpapers on my work computers. It's an amazing bike. I like it better than my friend's S1000RR.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

captainOrbital posted:

Although for some reason I want to paint it Olive Drab or matte grey.

I think that's just because you have extra paint in your garage.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

That thing looks like it would rear up, rip your face off and leave you yearning for more.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Outside Dawg posted:

That thing looks like it would rear up, rip your face off and leave you yearning for more.

Not really. It's just a funkily designed standard.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think it's retarded you would have to actually get off the bike and put it on its sidestand to fill it up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

infraboy posted:

I think it's retarded you would have to actually get off the bike and put it on its sidestand to fill it up.

I think it's retarded you would deliberately sit on your bike and balance it whilst filling it up, when you have to put it on the side stand and dismount anyway to use pay at pump/pay inside/clean your visor, etc. :regd08:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Linedance posted:

I think it's retarded you would deliberately sit on your bike and balance it whilst filling it up, when you have to put it on the side stand and dismount anyway to use pay at pump/pay inside/clean your visor, etc. :regd08:

You're just afraid you'll fall over. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tanbo posted:

You're just afraid you'll fall over. :colbert:

I'm afraid I'd get a crotch full of gasoline.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

The one time I've tried it and not been yelled at I found it super awkward. Was easier to get off anyway. Plus its a good chance to stretch.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

I'm afraid I'd get a crotch full of gasoline.

This is why I've never tried it

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If I roll up close enough I usually don't get off my bike if I don't need to grab a snack or have a visor full of bugs, but I always sit on it and fill up so I get a perfectly level full tank :spergin:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You guys are weird. Do you have such stubby little t rex arms you can't reach a foot and a half to swipe a card or is it such piss poor balance your bike should have training wheels?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I tried to take a video demonstrating the proper on-bike fillup technique, but the lovely camera didn't bother saving the video to the SD card. Next fillup.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hold on filling up while on the bike is something people do? That seems ridiculous.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ffs, we just had this argument like last week :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Since we are on gas station talk, how does filling up go in New Jersey? I know they still have a law that requires a gas station attendant to fill up your car (so stupid), but does this work the same way for bikes?