Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Any good character planners out there yet? Looks like Mugenmonkeys' is still in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just as an aside, Borderlands 2 was not a very good game. :colbert:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Orb's a useful staple for killing smaller enemies. It's stronger than heavy soul arrow/great heavy soul arrow if you have a dark staff/chime. And with the nerf GRS is only 50% stronger than it now anyway.

Pretty sure he's talking about PvP, the buff stacking build isn't really viable PvE.

Genocyber posted:

Resonant Weapon is not better than DW. It lasts less time, requires more Att, has less casts, and barely does any more damage.

Huh? It still gets me 30-40 more damage than DW on my dark claymore, it has 2 casts which is all you'll ever need in PvP and you'll still kill most people before it runs out especially with the longer buff times now.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

armoredgorilla posted:

Any good character planners out there yet? Looks like Mugenmonkeys' is still in progress.
There is this one that is functional, I don't like it as much as MugenMonkey but hey, take what you can get, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about PvP, the buff stacking build isn't really viable PvE.

Huh? It still gets me 30-40 more damage than DW on my dark claymore, it has 2 casts which is all you'll ever need in PvP and you'll still kill most people before it runs out especially with the longer buff times now.

30-40 damage on a greatsword, which is a pretty hard hitting weapon, isn't very much. Anyone smart will just wait for your buff to wear out, and the soul cost is very annoying if you want to use other soul cost hexes or to just buy poo poo or level.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

neetengie posted:

There is this one that is functional, I don't like it as much as MugenMonkey but hey, take what you can get, right?

Thanks I'll give it a look

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Genocyber posted:

30-40 damage on a greatsword, which is a pretty hard hitting weapon, isn't very much. Anyone smart will just wait for your buff to wear out, and the soul cost is very annoying if you want to use other soul cost hexes or to just buy poo poo or level.

30-40 damage becomes more than it seems once you are actually hitting dudes due to how resistances work. And if you can't stop them from running resonant out you can't stop them from running DW out either. The soul cost is annoying but completely irrelevant at SL156.

e: it's a 10-15% damage gain for the cost of an additional attunement slot, as well as a bunch of (mostly) irrelevant inconveniences.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

Still holding out hope that this piece of concept art is reflected in the DLC. Sunken King seems to be a good fit for it:

Poor building-size spider bosses, they always get cut :(

Shadow of the Colossus concept:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can message me saying that it’s unfair all you want, but it doesn’t matter because that’s just the way it is, it’s just the way of The Rat, and that will never change because you don’t change The Rat, The Rat changes you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rat team is the single PvP covenant that puts you at risk and not the people you fight, who have absolutely nothing to lose. You cannot possibly complain about the rat team.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Rat team is the single PvP covenant that puts you at risk and not the people you fight, who have absolutely nothing to lose. You cannot possibly complain about the rat team.

Also all I do is turn myself into a vase and hide from the other guy while they frantically fight off a dwarf army so

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

It sure is fun being drawn out of your game to a fight you basically can't win.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

King of Solomon posted:

To be fair, you aren't obligated to fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

King of Solomon posted:

This would have merit if ratbro areas were progress, but both of them are completely optional.

If you don't want to play with ratbros than don't go to rat land.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I'd rather have a little of my time wasted than a human effigy/bloodstain be lost forever.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

King of Solomon posted:

Cool defeatist attitude bro. You lose nothing but time. You don't even need to fight the Ratbro. You can just run right to the exit and you get a prize! Yay!

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

That's a lie. I got my rear end beat on by a guy who showed up as Altair with only a pyromancy glove. He rolled through most of my casts, killed the mastodon and the dog, and finally caught me with a combustion once I got frustrated and stopped trying to fire things at him.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can also just black crystal out if you really don't want to deal with anything. At most, you'd lose a minute or so from loading screens.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also if you really, truly hate playing with others that much you can just unplug your internet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stokes posted:

Cool defeatist attitude bro. You lose nothing but time. You don't even need to fight the Ratbro. You can just run right to the exit and you get a prize! Yay!

Yes, you lose time. Considering the situation is hilariously imbalanced against you (good luck escaping against a properly prepared ratbro), that waste of time is really annoying.

The only saving grace to that poo poo is that it is optional.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
A challenge? in Dark souls? :qq:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I spent an hour exploring the Doors of Pharros and only got summoned once. I'm jealous of anyone who got summoned enough times to find it annoying. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

A challenge? in Dark souls? :qq:

gently caress off. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game. It's just kinda annoying to deal with on the other side, not something that

quote:

You cannot possibly complain about the rat team.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, you lose time. Considering the situation is hilariously imbalanced against you (good luck escaping against a properly prepared ratbro), that waste of time is really annoying.

Come on guy, of all the pvp covenants in Dark Souls 2 the one you're complaining about ruining your good time is the Rat Covenant? The one that puts the entire burden on the summoner and not the summoned? Even the Brotherhood of Blood, which eats red orbs and shits bluecop misery for the invader, has more effect on the person being attacked than the Rat Covenant.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 5, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cowcaster posted:

Come on guy, of all the pvp covenants in Dark Souls 2 the one you're complaining about ruining your good time is the Rat Covenant? The one that puts the entire burden on the summoner and not the summoned?

It's the least fun covenant to engage with, so yes? I actually like most of the other PvP covenants. I think the Red/Blue covenants could be managed better, but they're fun.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I spent an hour exploring the Doors of Pharros and only got summoned once. I'm jealous of anyone who got summoned enough times to find it annoying. :(

I'm without internet right now and it's so lonely in Pharros with only these Mastadons and Gnome dudes.
Rat covenant is my favorite covenant and chameleoning around as a rat never gets old.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Rat Covenent is at its best when they actually are being sneaky and fun and interesting, letting the players go through the traps and learning how they work instead of sitting there raining lightning spears or avelyn bolts down from safety while they fight off a mastodon. I guess some people just want their Rat Tails so they can be done with it all.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm without internet right now and it's so lonely in Pharros with only these Mastadons and Gnome dudes.
Rat covenant is my favorite covenant and chameleoning around as a rat never gets old.

Yeah, the rats are basically the most interesting+fun covenant in DkS2. I just wish they could get ALL the covenants working and not broken in a souls game sometime. :(

(I do kind of wish the rat didn't have to use up pharros stones to use the traps)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Invaded in a Dark Chasm? No problem. Ganged up by Bellbros and black phantoms? Sure thing. Getting summoned to either die and lose nothing or ruin a Ratbro's day? gently caress that poo poo.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 5, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Come on guy, of all the pvp covenants in Dark Souls 2 the one you're complaining about ruining your good time is the Rat Covenant? The one that puts the entire burden on the summoner and not the summoned? Even the Brotherhood of Blood, which eats red orbs and shits bluecop misery for the invader has less at stake than the Rat Covenant.

Not really. When you're a ratbro you have all the enemies on your side making it very easy to win. Compared to invading where you could be up against a gank squad.

It's still dumb to complain about being summoned by a ratbro since 99% of the time you can just run past everything and book it to the fog door. Ratbros are probably the worst at PVP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

They're in optional areas (far more optional even than the belfries which have some spells/bastille key/etc) and literally every single other PvP covenant doesn't invite you to their world for completely no risk, they just come into your world uninvited and kill you. Which loses you time and progress--they're infinitely more dickish. You can use estus in the rat world and you don't even have to kill the world master to win: you have 2 ways to win when they only have 1. You lose no progress through the areas, which are so short that you can complete them in the time it takes for a single invasion timer to wear off. You also get an item for winning, while winning against any other covenant just gives you a pat on the back and lets you get back to dying to the enemies instead of to a player. (Dargons excepted but you choose to participate with them.)

If you were complaining about PvP/invasions in general then yeah, all of them gently caress you over for no reason and it's a headache if you just want to play a singleplayer game, but out of all the covenants there is literally not a single thing the rat team does to you that the other covenants don't do much worse.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Not to mention that you can ignore brodents all together after joining the covenant.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

They're in optional areas (far more optional even than the belfries which have some spells/bastille key/etc)

Getting the ability to barf toxic everywhere is NOT optional.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you were complaining about PvP/invasions in general then yeah, all of them gently caress you over for no reason and it's a headache if you just want to play a singleplayer game, but out of all the covenants there is literally not a single thing the rat team does to you that the other covenants don't do much worse.

If you want to play a singleplayer game then go offline.

Lambasting PVP in general but exception one of the covenants is really loving stupid. You seem like the guy that gets killed then sends hatemail because dying to a player is somehow different to dying to a PVE enemy.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Ratbros are probably the worst at PvP. I was only invaded once I think in any of the rat areas (when I first stepped into Grave of Saints) and I thought the guy was some random zombie and my game minimized and then I two shot him and he ran like a baby and I crushed him.

Bellbros can gently caress off though but it's cool since the areas are so short.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So..did patch notes ever actually come out for the recent patch? I would have liked to see all the changes made summed up.

I know pretty much all the ~top tier~ stuff (hexes, santier's spear, etc.) got nerfed hard but was there anything else to the patch?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I got summoned to a ratbro once named Dark Edgey Guy who used two manikin claws buffed with dark pine resin and he spread me evenly all over the walls. I appreciated how he stuck to his theme!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Ratbros are probably the worst at PvP. I was only invaded once

Not a very extensive sample size!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's 100 percent though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

They're in optional areas (far more optional even than the belfries which have some spells/bastille key/etc) and literally every single other PvP covenant doesn't invite you to their world for completely no risk, they just come into your world uninvited and kill you. Which loses you time and progress--they're infinitely more dickish. You can use estus in the rat world and you don't even have to kill the world master to win: you have 2 ways to win when they only have 1. You lose no progress through the areas, which are so short that you can complete them in the time it takes for a single invasion timer to wear off. You also get an item for winning, while winning against any other covenant just gives you a pat on the back and lets you get back to dying to the enemies instead of to a player. (Dargons excepted but you choose to participate with them.)

Except the other covenants are actually fun to engage with. Ratbros are like gank squads; yeah, it's possible to win, but it's unlikely and just feels like a waste of time. gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

King of Solomon posted:

Except the other covenants are actually fun to engage with. Ratbros are like gank squads; yeah, it's possible to win, but it's unlikely and just feels like a waste of time. gently caress that noise.

Why? Ratbros stack fights in their favor, but they're hardly the most unfair. Bell cops invade YOUR world, so you can actually lose stuff fighting them. Just like ratbros, you have to fight enemies at the same time so the odds are stacked against you. Unlike ratbros there is almost always TWO of them, and beating PvP geared players in a 2v1 is a total crapshoot. If either of them is even somewhat decent you'll just get stunlocked and killed. Its way more unfair than ratbros, costs you actual progress, and you don't even get anything for beating them.