Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Found something for bullshit hipster bike videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DsvpE9aOk

:jerkbag:

It's far easier to dismiss someone's creative output than to make something oneself, isn't it?

I'm not necessarily saying it's not exactly what it seems to be, but it's not worth dismissing as something awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

It's far easier to dismiss someone's creative output than to make something oneself, isn't it?

I don't see how talking about straight razors and craft breweries like Wes Anderson is creative??

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

hot sauce posted:

I don't see how talking about straight razors and craft breweries like Wes Anderson is creative??

Well to start you have to be open to the idea that the motorcycle was created as a result of the surrounding backstory, which he was talking about.

Not really defending it cause I don't give a poo poo about any of this, but JUSS SAYIN'

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hot sauce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DsvpE9aOk&t=186s

jesus christ

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Because it's a visually interesting (albeit derivative in some ways yes) piece that this guy storyboarded, wrote, directed, whatever, and put out to the world. It's a piece of creative output that goobs on the internet can watch and say "pfffff"

I mean technically this is barely about motorcycles. It's a story that includes a motorcycle as a prop.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Well to start you have to be open to the idea that the motorcycle was created as a result of the surrounding backstory, which he was talking about.

Not really defending it cause I don't give a poo poo about any of this, but JUSS SAYIN'

The motorcycle would be sitting in a garage rotting away if he didn't get the idea to make this corny rear end video

ShaneB posted:

I mean technically this is barely about motorcycles. It's a story that includes a motorcycle as a prop.

Most of the videos on HBV just use the motorcycle as a prop too, they just claim to be riders

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 4, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Because it's a visually interesting (albeit derivative in some ways yes) piece that this guy storyboarded, wrote, directed, whatever, and put out to the world. It's a piece of creative output that goobs on the internet can watch and say "pfffff"

That's the problem right loving there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you want a connection to the past, maybe go talk to some people who actually lived in the past, rather than pontificating about how honest a straight razor is.

unfortunately, you might learn that there were a lot of lovely things about the past that don't match up with your idealized hipster lifestyle, sorry if endemic racism, sexism, and xenophobia gets you down. It's ok though, you're a white hipster with a sick moustache and you can just ignore it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Found something for bullshit hipster bike videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DsvpE9aOk

:jerkbag:

"It's ok though", I told her. "I'd be riding with a helmet"
Cut to him riding without a helmet

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I just didn't like how it ended. The guy spends a good deal of time going on about how his grandfather's lives were "real" and his wasn't. He shows a number of examples about how both threw themselves wholeheartedly into both work and play, how they both were involved in activities that their families likely thought as a bit on the dangerous side, but that they opened the world for them.

Then he mentions how he wanted to become like them, so he gets an old motorcycle, only for his Mom to pretty quickly bribe out from under him with money because she thought it was unsafe. For some reason, this is equated with "giving to others" like his grandfathers. Except they seemed pretty happy to continue living life on their terms AND taking care of their families, not just going "whelp, can't be helped" and giving up over $1850.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deeters posted:

"It's ok though", I told her. "I'd be riding with a helmet"
Cut to him riding without a helmet

This.

Though I must agree with the guy--sometimes I feel like an entitled, privileged little poo poo too. I don't know as handlebar mustaches and craft beer are the answers, though I do like his commentary on living a life giving to others. :shrug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No one needs commentary on giving to others, they need people to actually do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

If you want a connection to the past, maybe go talk to some people who actually lived in the past, rather than pontificating about how honest a straight razor is.

unfortunately, you might learn that there were a lot of lovely things about the past that don't match up with your idealized hipster lifestyle, sorry if endemic racism, sexism, and xenophobia gets you down. It's ok though, you're a white hipster with a sick moustache and you can just ignore it.

Don't forget that all vehicles were actually loving terrible.

SimplyCosmic posted:

I just didn't like how it ended. The guy spends a good deal of time going on about how his grandfather's lives were "real" and his wasn't. He shows a number of examples about how both threw themselves wholeheartedly into both work and play, how they both were involved in activities that their families likely thought as a bit on the dangerous side, but that they opened the world for them.

Then he mentions how he wanted to become like them, so he gets an old motorcycle, only for his Mom to pretty quickly bribe out from under him with money because she thought it was unsafe. For some reason, this is equated with "giving to others" like his grandfathers. Except they seemed pretty happy to continue living life on their terms AND taking care of their families, not just going "whelp, can't be helped" and giving up over $1850.

Because he's an entitled fuckwit who has never seen a view that didn't include his own rectum.

Z3n posted:

No one needs commentary on giving to others, they need people to actually do it.

This.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

:geno:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Why does he only have one glove on, is that some hipster thing? Not like that gardening glove is going to do anything anyway, but there's clearly some calculated decision going on there and I want to know the logic behind "I need a glove that won't protect me, but ONLY ON THE CLUTCH HAND"

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Edit: Above poster beat me to it

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oglogoth posted:

Is wearing only one glove that isn't a riding glove some sort of Hipster thing?

e;f,b

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

quote:

Nostalgie de la boue is a nineteenth-century French term that means, literally, “nostalgia for the mud.” Nostalgie de la boue tends to be a favorite motif whenever a great many new faces and a lot of new money enter Society. New arrivals have always had two ways of certifying their superiority over the hated “middle class.” They can take on the trappings of aristocracy, such as grand architecture, servants, parterre boxes, and high protocol; and they can indulge in the gauche thrill of taking on certain styles of the lower orders. The two are by no means mutually exclusive; in fact, they are always used in combination.

In England during the Regency period, nostalgie de la boue was very much the rage. London socialites during the Regency adopted the flamboyant capes and wild driving styles of the coach drivers, the “bruiser” fashions and hair styles of the bare-knuckle prize fighters, the see-through, jutting-nipple fashions of the tavern girls, as well as a reckless new dance, the waltz. Such affectations were meant to convey the arrogant self-confidence of the aristocrat as opposed to the middle-class striver’s obsession with propriety and keeping up appearances.

During the 1960’s in New York nostalgie de la boue took the form of the vogue of rock music, the twist-frug genre of dances, Pop Art, Camp, the courting of pet primitives such as the Rolling Stones and José Torres, and innumerable dress fashions summed up in the recurrent image of the wealthy young man with his turtleneck jersey meeting his muttonchops at mid-jowl, à la the 1962 Sixth Avenue Automat bohemian, bidding good night to an aging doorman dressed in the mode of an 1870 Austrian army colonel.

http://nymag.com/news/features/46170/index6.html

Combine nostalgie de la boue with old-fashioned Luddism and you can explain essentially anything from the hipster ethos

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't think it's for protection, more this kinda thing.

E: not needed on the right hand, because you don't want to accidentally grip the Layer Dan lever.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

God I hate ~~AUTHENTICITY~~. That's what pisses me off about the hipster bullshit. Have doing whatever you want, but don't make some dumb claim that the way you do something is somehow more authentic and therefore superior to how anybody else does it. I shave with a safety razor like my dad did, not because it's more authentic but because mach 3s or whatever irritate the hell out of my face. I don't ride a motorcycle because it's a more "real" way of living but because it's simply fun as poo poo.

gently caress anybody who defends lovely rear end videos like that. It's just bullshit revisionist pandering to nostalgic yearnings for the halcyon days of yore.

E: No no guys, the glove is for when he's dragging his hand on the ground while doing a massive wheelie!

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2014

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

ShaneB posted:

I find the video's content itself derivative and insufferable - and I'm *at* art school, I should be this guy's core demographic - but to be fair to the guy, this is an entry for a filmmaking competition. I'm guessing artfully framed and edited shots of his hipster moustache, preferred brand / receptacle of coffee, and family history will go down better with the judges than, say, something like this, which I think we can all agree is a better video about motorcycles.

A video that's uncompromisingly true to any niche interest and requires a deep knowledge of that interest to extract enjoyment from it is going to struggle pretty hard to attract attention outside its particular community. "My maintenance routine on a [insert CA approved bike here]" isn't going to win the dude 20 grand worth of film gear.

I have no doubt he's an entitled tool IRL - god knows most of my school cohort is (myself included) - but having a go at the video for being a cliche is like tearing apart someone's job application or resume for lacking personality. He's pitching to a particular audience - a panel of commercial film judges that probably don't give a poo poo about motorcycles. Making middle of the road "inspirational" bullshit is a legitimate tactic to win the competition.

Rant over. Here's a picture of the world's life-savingest pipe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

http://nymag.com/news/features/46170/index6.html

Combine nostalgie de la boue with old-fashioned Luddism and you can explain essentially anything from the hipster ethos

This is amazing, I had no idea this was a thing, You have changed my world yet again, Snowden.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Oh yeah totally.

ShaneB posted:

I'm not necessarily saying it's not exactly what it seems to be, but it's not worth dismissing as something awful.

But yes it is. Technically good but artistically poo poo is better than technically poo poo and artistically poo poo. If something was made just for showing proficiency of method, say this video was an exam after his onboard-bike-video class, top marks. But if you make something artful, you set yourself up for art critique. I'm sure it's been hated by artists for thirty thousand years, but it does exist and it is worthwhile because the existence of poo poo art which its observers hate means there is great art which its observers love.

This particular piece waxes on about authenticity, nicely painting the artist himself as a purveyor of such and as someone you should admire. But he exposes himself as trying to be fashionable, stylish and cool without having a particularly good grip on the references he's wielding. He isn't authentic at all, he is exactly the opposite. He knows authenticity is cool, but can't express it in an authentic way. He wants to use motorcycles, but all he knows about motorcycles has been learned from Instagram. If anything, it is a wonderful sarcastic piece on how fashion can never be authentic. It is always an inauthentic shell, a fancy dress, a costume. Fashion can make the most wonderful, artful object into a consumer item, something to add to your showoff shelf which might increase your social status. Fashion eats art for breakfast. Go to any community with an art reputation and it's 99 poser hipsters for every even slightly good idea. He's done that to make himself look cool and he's done it with poor ideas but with good camera skills.

Either that or this is his commercial show reel and his career in directing denim adverts is doing a rolling burnout.

e: prukinski made a similar point while I was typing. I guess why this rubs us the wrong way so much is that we get bagged in with it somehow eventually.

Ola fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 5, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

This video has been submitted to me about a dozen times already, I haven't posted it on the blog because I think it's not a bad video. I mean sure the guy is doing his best Ira Glass and it's all very precious but I don't mind the message of this video. Want to be a real old timey man like your grand daddy, stop buying stupid poo poo like shaving kits and vintage motorcycles. Go out get a job, make some babies and support a family without whining too much.

At least this kid figured something out and he didn't really ruin a motorcycle in the process, even if he did rip his mom off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The worst part is that he didn't figure out poo poo. He just continued to leech off his parents. The only thing anyone learned from that video was the easily bought out nature of the creator.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Koruthaiolos posted:

God I hate ~~AUTHENTICITY~~.
I went to great personal effort to design and build an electrical adapter that would allow me to run a Garmin off the 6v power supply in my 1956 bike. I like to imagine this would send a hipster into a rage of authenticity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I went to great personal effort to design and build an electrical adapter that would allow me to run a Garmin off the 6v power supply in my 1956 bike. I like to imagine this would send a hipster into a rage of authenticity.

This is cool, how did you manage that?

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is amazing and I would love to hear the details. If hipsters are so worried about authenticity they can start by stopping the trend of building "Cafe racers".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This is cool, how did you manage that?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-car-6V-to-12V-voltage-converter-power-power-/350436684000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197a770e0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually IIRC he put in a 7805 LDO voltage regulator and some filters and it just makes a 5v USB charging port. More efficient that way.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope he doesn't win a bunch of sweet microphones for that video.

He's not even on the first page, so that's a plus.

http://www.rodemic.com/myrodereel/watch

edit: he's a judge's pick, though :mad: I dunno, he's a oval office, but he did a good job telling the story about why he's a oval office.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 5, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

prukinski posted:

I find the video's content itself derivative and insufferable - and I'm *at* art school, I should be this guy's core demographic - but to be fair to the guy, this is an entry for a filmmaking competition. I'm guessing artfully framed and edited shots of his hipster moustache, preferred brand / receptacle of coffee, and family history will go down better with the judges than, say, something like this, which I think we can all agree is a better video about motorcycles.

A video that's uncompromisingly true to any niche interest and requires a deep knowledge of that interest to extract enjoyment from it is going to struggle pretty hard to attract attention outside its particular community. "My maintenance routine on a [insert CA approved bike here]" isn't going to win the dude 20 grand worth of film gear.

I have no doubt he's an entitled tool IRL - god knows most of my school cohort is (myself included) - but having a go at the video for being a cliche is like tearing apart someone's job application or resume for lacking personality. He's pitching to a particular audience - a panel of commercial film judges that probably don't give a poo poo about motorcycles. Making middle of the road "inspirational" bullshit is a legitimate tactic to win the competition.

Rant over. Here's a picture of the world's life-savingest pipe.

The thing about this, though, is when you have a community of artists, particularly a school for same, that revels in the techniques of smelling one's own farts, students (and staff) inevitably lose touch of what's exaggerated for training effect and what's actually the desired outcome. It's an amplifying effect over time; I have a bunch of buds that are Brooklyn budding cinemamakers and most of their output is unwatchable to anyone outside that clique - but devoured and worshipped within it - because, for lack of a better way of describing it, it has that film-school fart-sniffing cranked up to 11.

Also that Yamaha's pipe is stock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also that Yamaha's pipe is stock.

What the gently caress were they thinking? It can only be a hilariously misguided attempt at style, or a horribly lazy way of meeting noise/emissions regs by an engineer who gives no fucks.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking? It can only be a hilariously misguided attempt at style, or a horribly lazy way of meeting noise/emissions regs by an engineer who gives no fucks.

So what you're saying is, you don't like it?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Did someone say half-assed exhaust design?

The Panigale's exhaust system doesn't meet Japanese noise regulations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I think it's a way of roping customers into spending money on an aftermarket exhaust.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's far easier to dismiss someone's exhaust gas output than to make something oneself, isn't it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

Did someone say half-assed exhaust design?

The Panigale's exhaust system doesn't meet Japanese noise regulations.

They are LOUD AS gently caress even stock, it's insane. So is the RSV4... like makes my full Yosh 750 sound quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"Remove a tire with zip ties"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MpgD-xIjg

Watching this guy struggle makes me feel like it's more effort than it's worth. Tire irons aren't expensive, and it's not the most difficult thing in the world to remove a tire. The hardest part is breaking the bead if you don't have a tool to do it.