Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Drunkboxer posted:

Also the effects were pretty loving sweet, I think.

The eye gouge and then the long shots of Oberon's head completely annihilated were amazing.

The Mountain is a human monster in a fantasy world where things like "having Giant's Blood" is a thing people talk about. His defining characteristic is his incredible size and strength. Of course he can perform superhuman feats of strength, that's practically all he does on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know, maybe Oberyn survived that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbNV76Pg3Y

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Savage Cracker posted:

I don't think Bolton would've betrayed them if they hadn't hosed up in the first place. He was rational enough to see they couldn't win the war, made/was offered an out and took it.

hosed up but true. Bolton even admits as such to Frey after, that had Rob taken ANY of his advice, he wouldn't have betrayed him.

He's still an evil bastard but he might be one of the most pragmatic evil bastards in the whole show.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

hosed up but true. Bolton even admits as such to Frey after, that had Rob taken ANY of his advice, he wouldn't have betrayed him.

He's still an evil bastard but he might be one of the most pragmatic evil bastards in the whole show.

Roose Bolton is a great character. I love how he's pretty much the opposite of Ramsay. Ramsay is a genuine maniac who's super into form over function, and the old Bolton traditions of flaying and torture for their own sake (but he's just brilliant enough to get things done with them regardless). Roose is just a practical man with very little regard for fair play or empathy.

Katharis
Jun 3, 2013
A friend of mine was inspired to get a new ringtone after this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aByDYP9hI

I don't think this is what you want out-of-context strangers to hear from you...

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fun trivia about that scene: It was shot in such a way with the hand shake that no matter where you move, the gun is always pointed at you when viewing it.

You mean it was filmed with a non-holographic camera?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Would be awkward getting a call while sitting at the gate in an airplane.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

This is fantastic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wolverine isn't the only one who took Oberyn's death hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO-1KvQssZU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

precision posted:

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

That would've been less disturbing. Shoving your thumb through the back of someone's eye socket is legit A Way to Kill Someone (if you have strong thumbs) and with hands strong enough to hoist a half ton barbell,* Oberyn-ing someone's perfectly doable. I think that's part of why it was so unsettling for me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do they still make Mythbusters? Make a fake head and bring Halfthor on to see if he can crush it and what it would look like.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Lycus posted:

Do they still make Mythbusters? Make a fake head and bring Halfthor on to see if he can crush it and what it would look like.

I hope they'd give him some serious gloves cause without them you'd wreck your hands on some bone shards.

Other than that yes, they should do that.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Can we also test if someone is strong enough to pull the ears off Jennifer Garner?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PantsBandit posted:

Even with Stannis the wall doesn't really have a chance of holding, right? The wildling army is pretty drat big.

Mance might be able to give them some training but the Wildling Army is pretty much going to be made up of a huge disorganized rabble. A sizeable force of well-armed, well-trained and disciplined troops in a highly defensible position should be at least a match for them.

Take a look at this and this for some examples of the same thing happening in the real world (minus the ice giants, wargs and zombies) - Gaius Marius wiped out almost 200,000 men across two battles with less than 2000 losses on his own side, and took another 80,000 prisoner.

This is great :)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

This needs to happen. Seriously. It needs to.

ED: It'd probably be win-win for them too since it'd be free promotion for HBO while also tying themselves to a popular brand.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 4, 2014

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

Here he didn't die, now quit your bellyaching.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Just thinking, what if Stannis or somebody else managed to harness and redirect the wildling army's wrath for their own purposes?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

an skeleton posted:

Just thinking, what if Stannis or somebody else managed to harness and redirect the wildling army's wrath for their own purposes?

His purposes, as in human Duraflames.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: It'd probably be win-win for them too since it'd be free promotion for HBO while also tying themselves to a popular brand.

Oh yeah. I would be completely in support of this. Game of Thrones + Mythbusters mash-up would be sexy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

"Do they still make Mythbusters?" tells you that it's not a popular brand anymore. You may as well tie the show into "Dirty Jobs" and have Mike Rowe make Wildfire and help the Bolton's flay people.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
"Can Jamie psychologically torment Grant so badly that he'll reject his own sister's love while her life hangs in the balance? Find out after the break!"

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

See, you're joking, but that's actually a way better ending

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

monster on a stick posted:

"Do they still make Mythbusters?" tells you that it's not a popular brand anymore. You may as well tie the show into "Dirty Jobs" and have Mike Rowe make Wildfire and help the Bolton's flay people.

Irony, since Dirty Jobs was cancelled and Mythbusters continues.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

EccoRaven posted:

This is perfection. I want Michael Mann to direct an episode of GoT.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

the posted:

First off, we're in a reality where there are fire-breathing dragons and vagina demons, and you're complaining about the realism in someone crushing someone's skull?

I really hate this argument, because it's kind of willfully obtuse. The show features fantastic elements, but it also has established rules for how those elements function. Realism isn't suddenly an irrelevant concern because magic exists; magic works a certain way, and is usable in very specific contexts.

Not that I think this applies to Gregor crushing Oberyn's skull...I actually believe that Hafthor Bjornsson can literally do this in life if he wanted. But it's not like "anything goes" because there are ice zombies in the same narrative. Gregor probably could punch all of a man's teeth out. But if he breathed fire to finish the job, or the tears of a child willed Oberyn back to life, that'd be jarring and confusing even though there's magic in the show.

The vagina demons or dragons aren't relevant. I believe the Mountain could crush a skull because the story already established he was a hyper-strong behemoth. You don't need any more than that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh if the battle swapped gears from "Let us into your Castle so we can kill you, Crows!" to "Let us into your Castle oh Jesus Christ they're all around us!"

I hadn't considered that as a possibility. I doubt that it's going to happen - but it would be awesome if it did.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

"Do they still make Mythbuster's?" tell's you that its not a popular brand anymore. You may as well tie the show's into "Dirty Job's" and have Mike Rowe make Wildfire's and help the Bolton's flay people.

One person's interrogative doesn't a demo numbers or Nielsen statement release make. They still pull in more viewers than they would ever need to make their sponsors and network happy.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry to break your immersion gents and ladies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/06/03/no-you-cant-crush-a-mans-skull-with-your-bare-hands/

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:unsmith: This is now canon.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Proof that oberyn is still alive

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's as alive as Syrio, another face-shifter.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

kiimo posted:

Oberyn has actually teamed up with Syrio and they are now plotting their revenge against the Lannisters.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

It is to symbolize that her character has changed. She isn't that innocent girl anymore. She is starting to see the bigger picture, and become a player in the game. It isn't meant to mean she is evil anymore than the other characters.

Question: Does Sansa know of Littlefinger's involvement in her father's death?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bubblelubble posted:

Well, she just saved him from a flight, I'm guessing no

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The popular brand I was referring too was GoT, not Mythbusters.

kiimo posted:

Hard to face shift.. with no face!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I am curious if the original mailed-fist-punch would be able to smash someone's head like in the comic/book version of the events that's been going around the thread?

Adding in plate steel and punch momentum might work out differently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why can't people just accept that the Clegane's probably have giants blood in them? Possibly like Hodor. Hodor made Locke's neck explode, remember?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

bubblelubble posted:

Short answer no.

I can't remember who all knows the part he played in the death of Ned. Someone knows and I foresee this coming back to bite him.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Short answer no.

I can't remember who all knows the part he played in the death of Ned. Someone knows and I foresee this coming back to bite him.

Is that something we've seen in the show? I don't recall anyone knowing. Maybe someone could have pieced some things together via inference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nobody told her on-screen, but... Littlefinger pulled a knife on Ned in the throne room, was rewarded for his loyal service to House Lannister against the traitorous Starks, and hung out for another two seasons, all while Sansa was also there. How could she not know?

• Locked thread