Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

less than three posted:

You can get it by signing up for a new Koodo service with an SK phone number and then porting in your BC number with the online self serve.

Lexicon posted:

It might necessitate a few attempts to find a Koodo retailer that will issue you an SK number, but keep trying. The original thread on HF has some fairly good anecdotes about it.

I ported from Rogers onto this and it went swimmingly.
So I kind of dithered on this but it turns out that my coworker knows a guy who knows a guy at Rogers who is going to switch me to some corporate plan. $55 for 6GB and 1000 minutes :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

THC posted:

So I kind of dithered on this but it turns out that my coworker knows a guy who knows a guy at Rogers who is going to switch me to some corporate plan. $55 for 6GB and 1000 minutes :whatup:

Check that your speeds arent capped at 3G, you may not get LTE with that corporate option.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Rogers tried to upsell my plan after I went over my data last month(Turned off wifi because of issues at the beginning of my billing cycle and forgot about it until they warned me at 90% usage)

Girl on the phone tried to convince that 68 dollars a month is less per month than my current 55 dollar plan(Unlimited MB calling, 3GB Data) and that I go over my data every month, when she infact only could quote the last two months and the one prior my bill was higher because I sent 3 texts while travelling to let my family know I'm still alive. She was trying to collect my info and consent without even telling me that she was finalizing the sale. Super shady poo poo.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
This is the excellent competitive service they can only provide by increasing the cost of your plans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ja_raul posted:

Check that your speeds arent capped at 3G, you may not get LTE with that corporate option.

I have a corporate plan like that and it's LTE.

Not the same plan obviously, so still check, but they do give you LTE at that price point.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ja_raul posted:

It is LTE. The new sim card arrived today and they ported it over. Hooray for nepotism :woop:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
'And so began the era of Rogers 3.0 Rogers One'

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/05/23/guy-laurence-unveils-rogers-3-0-a-plan-to-grow-the-company-as-one-rogers/

It's not like this guy can do any worse, and at least he hails from a place where mobile carriers compete

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Reminder they called the third Xbox Rogers 3.0 Xbox One One Rogers. :haw:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Is there any way to order a Moto G (preferably the LTE edition when it's released) from Motorola or some kind of reseller without going through a carrier?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DarkJC posted:

Is there any way to order a Moto G (preferably the LTE edition when it's released) from Motorola or some kind of reseller without going through a carrier?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0NRZSW

Use a cross border shipping service, depending on where you are in Canada. I have a great one I use in Vancouver: http://www.p2pparcel.com/

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks, I'll look into one that's closer to me in southern ontario.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I'm an American traveling to Winnipeg for a few days in two weeks. For voice/SMS I'm just going to roam with my phone as the rates aren't dreadful, however data roaming is $2/MB and CDMA only for myself.

I'd really like a decent prepaid data plan if possible, with ~500 MB to 1 GB being ideal, and I'd need to order a micro-SIM to use in my Nexus 7. Now, the problem is that MTS appears to be stuck in 2010 and doesn't acknowledge any tablet/data-only devices other than an iPad. It also appears that I can't order a prepaid SIM but have to pick one up at an MTS store (which is inconvenient, but potentially doable).

What would my other options be? I think Rogers runs a network in Winnipeg also, but my understanding is that Bell/Telus don't, and I'm not sure how that would affect their respective prepaid subsidiaries.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I'm an American traveling to Winnipeg for a few days in two weeks. For voice/SMS I'm just going to roam with my phone as the rates aren't dreadful, however data roaming is $2/MB and CDMA only for myself.

I'd really like a decent prepaid data plan if possible, with ~500 MB to 1 GB being ideal, and I'd need to order a micro-SIM to use in my Nexus 7. Now, the problem is that MTS appears to be stuck in 2010 and doesn't acknowledge any tablet/data-only devices other than an iPad. It also appears that I can't order a prepaid SIM but have to pick one up at an MTS store (which is inconvenient, but potentially doable).

What would my other options be? I think Rogers runs a network in Winnipeg also, but my understanding is that Bell/Telus don't, and I'm not sure how that would affect their respective prepaid subsidiaries.

Yes, you get access on Bell/Telus through MTS. Take a look at Koodo prepaid: http://koodomobile.com/en/mb/plansandboosters.shtml

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
It is now required with Bell (and probably only a matter of time for others if not already) that all high end smartphones (iPhones, Galaxy S, etc) REQUIRE data. So unless you have a retention deal or are already sharing data with someone else, a standalone iPhone will be at least $80 a month. And they are also going to require data for certain bring-your-own device plans, but it's not until July and we are trying to fight them on it since there are many logical reasons why that doesn't make sense.

I need to get the gently caress out of this line of work. This industry has seriously lost its mind

mewse
May 2, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm in Winnipeg, I use Fido. It is a Rogers sub-brand that has better customer service.

They seem to sell sim cards here:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/SmartCard

They don't seem to have a straightforward way to do pre-paid data. These "data passes" require a voice-only plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/datacatalogue/data_passes

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jesus, why must everything be so goddamn convoluted

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cartels don't want informed customers; only compliant ones.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Because it's important to be aware of what carriers are like elsewhere in the world: https://twitter.com/ThreeUK/status/471888239813353472

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

so I need to get a phone now more sooner than later. What is virgin like? My old company phone is an old galaxy S tied to Telus. Would it be worth my while to keep the device and stay on Telus? Is it much cheaper? My idiotic company terminated my existing number/plan so I probably have no way of getting the number back do I?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I was able to put a SIM card from another phone in the office into mine so I'm not totally stuck, but I should try to unlock it and shop for BYOD with the various carriers. What's the consensus on how to do it? The "free" websites look sketchy as hell and want you to install generic trojan software on your computer.

I've never rooted anything before but not against trying. Easy is better though :)

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I currently have a Rogers-locked iPhone 4S. The contract is up in November. Once my contract is up, I plan to hop to Koodo with this 4S. It has a cracked screen and the volume buttons no longer work. At some point it is going to need to be replaced/repaired.

Would it be easier to replace the phone before or after I get set up at Koodo? i.e. Would Rogers unlock a brand new 4S if I get it repaired before hopping? If I bring my broken phone to Apple after hopping, will they give me back a Rogers-locked phone I'll have to pony up another $50 to unlock?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

reflex posted:

I currently have a Rogers-locked iPhone 4S. The contract is up in November. Once my contract is up, I plan to hop to Koodo with this 4S. It has a cracked screen and the volume buttons no longer work. At some point it is going to need to be replaced/repaired.

Would it be easier to replace the phone before or after I get set up at Koodo? i.e. Would Rogers unlock a brand new 4S if I get it repaired before hopping? If I bring my broken phone to Apple after hopping, will they give me back a Rogers-locked phone I'll have to pony up another $50 to unlock?

Rogers will unlock your phone as long as you've had it for more than 90 days after the contract was originally signed, or immediately if you didn't sign one. You didn't sign a contract to get that new phone, so you should be fine.

I'm not sure how Apple handles the repairs of unlocked phones, but if you've already switched to Koodo at that point, I can't see them relocking it to Rogers since you've already paid Rogers everything you owe them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

so I need to get a phone now more sooner than later. What is virgin like? My old company phone is an old galaxy S tied to Telus. Would it be worth my while to keep the device and stay on Telus? Is it much cheaper? My idiotic company terminated my existing number/plan so I probably have no way of getting the number back do I?

I completely forgot to reply earlier, but I ordered my (unlocked) N5 direct from Google, and it arrived less than 36 hours after placing the order. And most carriers offer at least $100 credit for bringing your own phone, depending on the contract.
As for performance, it's like having my Mac Mini in the palm of my hand.
Sell your old one for some cash/hand it down to a relative.

Also, I would say gently caress any carrier that isn't Wind, but I'm a city boy so the limited coverage works out for me.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 5, 2014

Mantle
May 15, 2004

reflex posted:

I have first hand experience with this situation. Absolutely DO NOT repair your iPhone before getting it unlocked. I cracked the screen on my Rogers locked iPhone 4 and had it replaced with a new Rogers locked phone from Apple. I then planned a trip overseas and wanted to pay Rogers $50 to unlock my phone. They refused to do it because the IMEI on my replacement phone did not match the IMEI on the phone they issued me. I quote, "your phone's IMEI is not in our database so it's not a Rogers phone so we can't unlock it".

Well, it is locked to Rogers so it is defacto a Rogers locked phone, you loving thieves.

I even had all the paper trail showing my replacement process with Apple AND the IMEIs of both devices. Still flat out refusal.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Mantle posted:

I have first hand experience with this situation. Absolutely DO NOT repair your iPhone before getting it unlocked. I cracked the screen on my Rogers locked iPhone 4 and had it replaced with a new Rogers locked phone from Apple. I then planned a trip overseas and wanted to pay Rogers $50 to unlock my phone. They refused to do it because the IMEI on my replacement phone did not match the IMEI on the phone they issued me. I quote, "your phone's IMEI is not in our database so it's not a Rogers phone so we can't unlock it".

Well, it is locked to Rogers so it is defacto a Rogers locked phone, you loving thieves.

I even had all the paper trail showing my replacement process with Apple AND the IMEIs of both devices. Still flat out refusal.

That's hosed. There must be something you can do, perhaps the CCTS. Basically that would mean that no one who had their phone replaced by Apple could ever have it unlocked. I can't believe I haven't encountered that situation yet.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Mantle posted:

This is the exact bullshit I'm trying to avoid. So if I bring an unlocked phone to apple I will get an unlocked phone back, even if they replace it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple's official policy seems to be that carrier unlocked phones will be replaced with carrier unlocked phones.

You do have to let them know though, of course. I would think an Apple Store is the best way to set it up since you have a person you can yell at if they screwed up.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Mantle posted:

My buddy just went through something similar with Rogers. He had his Rogers locked iphone replaced by Apple and was told the same thing when called to get it unlocked. He raised a stink and after getting bounced around and eventually got to a manager, they agreed to unlock it. But I saw how much of a hassle it was since I was with him when he made the call.
So it can be done but you're going to have to fight for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For the ridiculously heavy handed control Apple has over iPhones you would think replacements would be something they have procedure for with carriers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Macys posted:

I completely forgot to reply earlier, but I ordered my (unlocked) N5 direct from Google, and it arrived less than 36 hours after placing the order. And most carriers offer at least $100 credit for bringing your own phone, depending on the contract.
As for performance, it's like having my Mac Mini in the palm of my hand.
Sell your old one for some cash/hand it down to a relative.

Also, I would say gently caress any carrier that isn't Wind, but I'm a city boy so the limited coverage works out for me.

Thanks for the reply.

I have successfully rooted the old S3 with SuperOneCLick, but for some reason the unlock apps don't seem to work :saddowns: If I can't do it, I'll do what you suggest.

That said, anyone have any pointers for unlocking an old Telus Galaxy S SGH-T959P?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I have successfully rooted the old S3 with SuperOneCLick, but for some reason the unlock apps don't seem to work :saddowns: If I can't do it, I'll do what you suggest.

That said, anyone have any pointers for unlocking an old Telus Galaxy S SGH-T959P?

Wait, didn't you express concern about shady websites and possible malware earlier? That's like, exactly the domain of phone rooting!

(I'm sure it's fine - people do this stuff all the time - it's just an odd sequence of comments to see in succession)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the shady websites in particular are ones that want you to install programs on your PC for a "free" over the air unlock. These free" programs are like surveys and driver finders. I'm not too concerned about the community websites like xga... although maybe I should be. A recommendation from people here that have done it would certainly help though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samsung unlock codes are like $8 on ebay usually. It's much easier that way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So that method works pretty well?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Always has for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK. I think I'll give it a try. The couple of ebay ads I've seen to not have the phone rooted and updated firmware, so I'll do that first and go from there. THanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ebay dude worked great. Thanks for the advice :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just saw on MobileSyrup that Rogers customers with the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago are going up $5/month :( I don't get it, bandwidth is getting cheaper. gently caress you Rogers.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's only to ensure the quality of the excellent service provided by Rogers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Sadly they've woken up to the fact that the only thing that matters now is cellular data. I've noticed Koodo has really been tightening the screws - on their newest plans, the marginal cost for data is now a shocking $5 per $250MB. It used to be $10 per 1GB.