Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

yase, the f35 could do this in bf3 too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Planes on the ground you say? I think this guy is lost.

Also I love tank drivers that are scared of infantry. Come back, I want to give you a blowtorch hug!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chamber 9 posted:

http://youtu.be/u4uUM0IzR-Y Did you know you can put a jet in landing mode and cruise around by throttling down to lift off the ground?

Some skylord tried that on my littlebird yesterday.

He didn't realize that my guns were better than his :)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Hello. I've never played battlefield before and my friends have convinced me to get it for the xbone. We're all COD'd out so we've decided to try something different for the summer (plus Ghosts is a big pile of meh).

Any pointers for gear, weapons, stuff I should unlock first or how to unlock vehicle stuff or whatevs? I'll hang up and listen.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Netcode patch coming out this week.

commy gun posted:

Hello. I've never played battlefield before and my friends have convinced me to get it for the xbone. We're all COD'd out so we've decided to try something different for the summer (plus Ghosts is a big pile of meh).

Any pointers for gear, weapons, stuff I should unlock first or how to unlock vehicle stuff or whatevs? I'll hang up and listen.

Never abandon armor - the enemy will steal it.

Steal enemy armor. Don't blow it up. They don't get it back if you have it.

Shooting your gun makes you show up on the minimap. If your tank/lav driver is trying to be stealthy and you're firing the 50 cal, he will hate you.

If you are driving an LAV or Tank, you should check your start menu minimap every 30 seconds or so. You'll survive a lot longer if you know what's coming at you.

Other then that, AK-5C is probably the best weapon. I don't know, infantry play is dead to me. Long live LAV.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 4, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So did private servers get fixed as I quick matched into a 24/7 locker server today

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

commy gun posted:

For vehicles, spend some time as a gunner at first. You still get progress towards the unlocks in the gunner seat and most of the starting loadouts for vehicles are kind of lame. Not unusably lame, mind you, but it'll be rough learning vehicles as a new player if you use them.

There aren't really any "must-have" unlocks for the infantry kits, but don't play Recon until you've unlocked Carbines through the Engineer kit, because if you use a sniper rifle I will stab you.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Most importantly: capture objectives and play as a team. 1 cooperative teammate is worth 50 uncooperative ones.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

So did private servers get fixed as I quick matched into a 24/7 locker server today

They've been that way since they went live. As long as you don't mix the map rotations it counts as an official server.

I thought I saw someone make a post about this but I can't find it. Basically if someone quick joins a vanilla conquest game, they won't get kicked when the next map is from a DLC set.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

If you see a reddit emblem, teabag the poo poo out of them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Emblems working is great. adding some variety to the game at least.

whoever made the Cosby one in the spreadsheet, you are amazing (i havent used it, I just enjoy it)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Snackpack Backpack posted:

They've been that way since they went live. As long as you don't mix the map rotations it counts as an official server.

I thought I saw someone make a post about this but I can't find it. Basically if someone quick joins a vanilla conquest game, they won't get kicked when the next map is from a DLC set.

That last part sounds unlikely. Each map pack is like 4 gigabytes that you buy.(ps4) I don't think the patches would give you the map pack data that you need.

I assume you mean someone that doesn't own any map packs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Netcode update is out for xbone:

:dice: posted:

June 04 Xbox One Game Update Notes
- Improved/reduced explosion induced camera shake
- Rental server bug fixes
- Character collision improvements
- Fix to reduce object damage mismatch between client/server.
- Fix explosion packs not being able to be shot sometimes
- Improvements for client side packet loss
- Added controller option to swap functionality of the bumper and trigger buttons
- Physics optimization for Naval Strike Wave Breaker rocks
- Carrier - Invisible walls stopping bullets fix
- Fixed issue when using standby in Campaign
- Fixed issue when using standby and reconnecting to game servers
- Fixed issue with snapped application and matchmaking
- Playgroup Matchmaking fix for Xbox One
- Fixed incorrect error message for lost Xbox Live connection
- Fixed issue for user name mismatch in rental server, ingame scoreboard and Squad Join menus
- High Frequency Network update
- Added High frequency “bubble” updating player movement, stance, rotation, damage and projectiles at a separate rate on foot and in vehicles
- Added option to control client side update rate setting

High frequency network update allows you to set low/med/high/off. I guess if you have a good connection poo poo will be more updated frequently?

I am testing it out now.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

commy gun posted:

Use the shooting/test range to learn to fly, rather than slamming your helo into the ground mid game the first few times. You can also use it to get a feel for the other vehicles and guns/attachments, but that's less important than learning how not to slam a transport chopper into the ground, accidentally tking your squad.

Echoing the armour sentiment, avoid bailing out of a tank/lav/helicopter unless it's definitely buggered. Better to go down with the ship, because smart bastards will steal and repair those vehicles, and they won't respawn for you 'til you take 'em out.

If you're assault/medic, or support, throw the health/ammo packs around like candy, especially just out of the firing line of a major choke point/contested area, and watch the points rack up.

Press the spot button. In softcore, it makes doritos appear above enemies, and even if you don't kill 'em, you get points when someone else does. And points mean prizes!

For unlocking gun attachments, team deathmatch or domination are useful (no tanks to ruin your assault rifle killing sprees), and to some degree rush (although it does feature vehicles on various stages).

Everyone plays differently (some prefer vehicles, others infantry, some like stabbin folks and some like running around with a handgun as their primary), so you'll probably find your niche playstyle after a few rounds.

Whatever game mode you play, play the objective.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Wow, the upcoming netcode-focused patch looks really good. It's a drat shame it took this long. :(

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Also commy, read the OP and sign up to the battlefield goons thing. If i see you on ill run through some things if ya need.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

commy gun posted:

If nothing else, make sure carbines are the first gun you unlock, they make the non-assault classes much more versatile and are easy to get. For the most part though you don't need to worry about unlocking guns, the starter weapons for each class are generally solid at what they do. The starter LMG is kind of not that great, but you get a better one pretty soon if you use them.

Also weapon unlocks are not in the same unlock path as the gear a class can get, you have to get points with the weapon class specifically to unlock more of them, and the game only counts the points for damaging people with them for unlocking weapons. Basically any points you get from a kill, including bonuses from defending an objective or headshots. So if you want to unlock guns fast play the objective and stick with your squad, you get a lot more points that way.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 4, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

StevoMcQueen posted:

Use the shooting/test range to learn to fly, rather than slamming your helo into the ground mid game the first few times. You can also use it to get a feel for the other vehicles and guns/attachments, but that's less important than learning how not to slam a transport chopper into the ground, accidentally tking your squad.

No matter how many times I try to fly, I always slam into the ground. I will never be a skylord.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Apparently the game is fixed, like for real with this update. :stare:

Sure was fun beta testing the game for six months, gonna shoot the gently caress outta some mans tomorrow if I can pry myself away from MK8.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

epoch. posted:

Wow, the upcoming netcode-focused patch looks really good. It's a drat shame it took this long. :(

Is this the thing that just went live on my PS4 or is the net code patch separate?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Here's the whole thing about that:

quote:

We’re happy to announce that we’ve released an update for PC, PS3, and X360 today containing the new improved “Netcode” for Battlefield 4. The update will be released later this week on PS4 and Xbox One.

This update has been developed using the CTE (Community Test Environment) on PC (you can sign up if you haven’t done so already at http://cte.battlelog.com), and is the first update being deployed using your gameplay feedback.

The number of changes possible in this update would be difficult to pull off without the continued support from our community, both through direct constructive feedback and telemetry data gathered on the CTE.

High Frequency Network Update
For the PC, PS4, and Xbox One platforms, we are adding something we nicknamed the “High Frequency Bubble”. Within a certain radius of the player, we add the possibility to update the clients at a higher rate from the server. What this essentially means is that the server will update the client on what is happening more often than before. This normally results in a smoother, more “correct” player experience.

The High Frequency Update is by default turned OFF in this release. You will have to enable this setting to take advantage of the improved networking. To support players with a limited bandwidth connection, we support three different levels: LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH. Most players with a connection faster than 1Mbit upload and 1Mbit download should be fine using the HIGH setting. If you experience any issues, lower or turn off the setting completely.

Playstation 4 and Xbox One Server Performance
The High Frequency Update will be rolled out to all 48 player servers and on a small set of 64 player servers immediately. We will then keep a close eye on the larger servers to make sure server performance stays good in the live environment. If all goes well, all servers will be supporting the high frequency update after 24 hours or rollout and testing.

PC Server Performance
On PC the RSPs are responsible for enabling the feature at their discretion, we expect most to do so as soon as possible.

Video Comparison
When testing our “High Frequency Bubble” changes to the network layer in Battlefield 4, we made sure to employ a measurable end-user experience metric. To do this, we have been using a 60fps video camera to capture two clients connected over the internet, and counting frames to get before and after results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MooojiuDRgw

Future Plans
This is the first release to contain CTE-tested “Netcode” fixes and improvements. We are still hard at work with additional improvements and tweaks to better our network experience that did not make this release.

We hope to utilize the Community Test Environment for future release to ensure quality and stability across all platforms. If you wish to take part in this testing, the CTE still has slots open. The current requirement is to own a PC copy of Battlefield 4 with a Premium memebership to sign up at http://cte.battlelog.com

Update Details

PC
• Improved/reduced explosion induced camera shake
• Character collision improvements
• Fix to reduce object damage mismatch between client/server.
• Fix explosion packs not being able to be shot sometimes
• Improvements for client side packet loss
• Client crash fixes
• AMD Mantle multi-GPU improvements
• Carrier Assault game mode reports bug fix
• High Frequency Network update
- Added High frequency “bubble” updating player movement, stance, rotation, damage and projectiles at a separate rate on foot and in vehicles

PlayStation 3
• Rental server bug fixes
• Reduced object damage mismatch between client/server.
• Fix for explosion pack not being able to be shot sometimes
• Added controller option to swap functionality of the bumper and trigger buttons
• Carrier – Invisible walls stopping bullets fix

Xbox 360
• Rent A Server bug fixes
• Reduced object damage mismatch between client/server.
• Fix for explosion pack not being able to be shot sometimes
• Added controller option to swap functionality of the bumper and trigger buttons
• Physics optimization for Naval Strike Wave Breaker rocks
• Fix for issue where clients with low bandwidth would not be able to enter squad menu.

PlayStation 4

Xbox One
• Fixed issue when using standby in Campaign
• Fixed issue when using standby and reconnecting to game servers
• Fixed issue with snapped application and matchmaking
• Playgroup Matchmaking fix for Xbox One
• Fixed incorrect error message for lost Xbox Live connection
• Fixed issue for user name mismatch in rental server, ingame scoreboard and Squad Join menus

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Still no ability to rent servers, but it will be nice to have a chance to duck behind cover instead of being instantly killed as usual.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm confused. Some 64 player servers and all 48? Does that mean servers less than 48? I'm not finding any 48 man PS4 servers right now and I just want to guarantee I see this new net code.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Played a couple of rounds of conquest, noticed no difference at all :shrug:

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

quote:

Most players with a connection faster than 1Mbit upload and 1Mbit download should be fine using the HIGH setting. If you experience any issues, lower or turn off the setting completely.

what hosed up third world planet does dice live on where everything above 1 mbit is high speed?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chamber 9 posted:

what hosed up third world planet does dice live on where everything above 1 mbit is high speed?

I'm getting gigabit internet in 12 days so I'll be sure to let you plebes know how it is living the high life.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I had some really good games the past few days, as far as points and kills go, but man I wish more people used the spot button and maybe paid attention to what was going on. Our team was getting screwed on Locker and so I went all the way behind the enemy and secured the far objective, then killed and died numerous times holding it, while nobody on my team ever loving spawned back there, until finally we lost.

I joined the 360 Platoon, but I don't know if it's rude to send friend requests to members or what? I'd like to play with some people who are willing to communicate and work together. Bueller...Bueller...

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
War Thunder is pretty fun if you can get past the miserable menu system, but at least you can use the touch pad on the ps4 controller as a mouse. I downloaded it to see if it had fun dogfights with actual physics so they aren't just flying in circles like in bf4, but it's actually pretty fun on it's own. It's also fun playing with a sqaud mate since they show up as green so you can easily find them, and teaming up to take out other fighters together it great.

Trevor Weedheart
Jan 9, 2009

naruto headband rockin ice niggas
LevelCapGaming has the most faggoty loving voice I have ever heard come out of a human being and I want to choke him to death.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm getting gigabit internet in 12 days so I'll be sure to let you plebes know how it is living the high life.

Jealous. Let me guess...Google Fiber? I wish we could get it up here, but Google hates Pennsylvania apparently. :(

I finally convinced the fiancee that our internet was in dire need of an upgrade and I'm pretty happy with what we have now. Going from a DSL connection 1Mbps down AND up to a cable connection of 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up is beyond night and day. I have no idea how I've played multiplayer games with the former connection for as long as I have.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Trevor Weedheart posted:

LevelCapGaming has the most faggoty loving voice I have ever heard come out of a human being and I want to choke him to death.

Jackfrags has a pleasant british accent if you prefer that, and in my opinion sounds like he has more honost opinions about battlefield than just "this is broken bu the rest of the game is the best thing ever, DICE can I have your babies". They also play together a lot and thus will often release videos within days of each other of the same exact news.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I played about 5 games last night with high frequency network set to HIGH and either I was having a bad night or it just showed me how lovely I actually am at the game.

There was less mutual kills/killed by the guy I just domed and already got the kill message for, though. And seemingly less deaths while running into cover.

I'm on 100mbit cable (with something atrocious like 5mbit upload) so I might fiddle with it and see if there's a difference.

Is network smoothing still suggested to be set to zero?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A brief montage of a few fun moments with goons. Playing Air Traffic Control on Dawnbreaker was a ton of fun.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
i was looking at battlefield goons and holy poo poo. are there really only 32 xbone goons? ive got 500 psn friends and its hard enough to get an 8 man party.

Also, mineaiki wont accept my friend request and he's making me have to put more effort into EOD botting because he's second in humiliation kills and EOD kills across all 5 platforms and i cant lose first place.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Setting the network update thing to high results in constant disconnections, so dropped it down to medium and:

I'm still getting shot through walls, can't hit anything, and ugh gently caress this game :negative:.

Go and play one round of BF3, and it's a world apart: the guns are like goddamn lasers, knifing isn't janky, and actual fun is still to be had.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Chalupa Joe posted:

Setting the network update thing to high results in constant disconnections, so dropped it down to medium and:

I'm still getting shot through walls, can't hit anything, and ugh gently caress this game :negative:.

Go and play one round of BF3, and it's a world apart: the guns are like goddamn lasers, knifing isn't janky, and actual fun is still to be had.

That's a punkbuster kick, you need to manually update it to get past it.

What is it about your connection that sucks so hard you seem to be trying to play a completely different game than the other PC goons?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
It's a connection in New Zealand.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
whoosh

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Chamber 9 posted:

i was looking at battlefield goons and holy poo poo. are there really only 32 xbone goons? ive got 500 psn friends and its hard enough to get an 8 man party.
Certainly seems like it, and most of them don't play any more. I don't remember the last time we had a full squad let alone party, probably before Titanfall came out.

I have a feeling most people will come back when they fix the rented servers, so not holding my breath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero democracy
Oct 9, 2002

in extremis

Bagpuss_UK posted:

I don't remember the last time we had a full squad let alone party, probably before Titanfall came out.

I have a feeling most people will come back when they fix the rented servers, so not holding my breath!

HML and I have been waging lonely weeknight wars, but it seems more like the usual crew is either busy with other poo poo or just not into shootinmanz these days.

• Locked thread