Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Propaganda Machine posted:

Paging the gif of Sophie being absolutely entertained by Jack and Jill.

The best part of South Pacific, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DaisyDanger posted:

Jeff: Worth playing for?

Nope, no it's not. Can I just sit outside and eat the hot dogs and candy?

Its funny but while watching Redemption Island there was some individual immunity challenge where besides the idol the reward was a chocolate cake you had five minutes to eat. While watching it all I could think was "I don't like chocolate cake. I wonder if you could ask out and let someone else eat." Didn't Rupert do that once?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny but while watching Redemption Island there was some individual immunity challenge where besides the idol the reward was a chocolate cake you had five minutes to eat. While watching it all I could think was "I don't like chocolate cake. I wonder if you could ask out and let someone else eat." Didn't Rupert do that once?

Don't know about Rupert but Monica Culpepper gave up an individual food reward for everyone else in BvW

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I assume that was one of Jeff's moral dilemmas. I think in Pearl Islands Rupert just sort of gave up his reward unprovoked. I want to say he gave it to Burton and then Burton agreed to return the favor but didn't, which led Rupert to do his low, sad "I am so disappointed" dad thing. But I may be mixing stuff up in my head.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DaisyDanger posted:

Jeff: Worth playing for?

Nope, no it's not. Can I just sit outside and eat the hot dogs and candy?

Literally the winning group revolted and refused to watch any more of the movie halfway through so production had to bribe them with more hot dogs and popcorn

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Stuff about S29 cast/filming (nothing about specific players by name or anything):

Apparently S29 was going to have 20 people again but two had to leave the show 48hrs before it started filming for medical reasons. Since this is a BvW season, I'm guessing this may mean that one person couldn't participate for medical reasons so the other half of their pair was forced to drop out too. So now the season will be starting with 18 people and will have uneven men and women.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/02/survivor-nicaragua-two-contestants-leave/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So that means again it will be loved ones on opposite tribes instead of same

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

So that means again it will be loved ones on opposite tribes instead of same

I don't think the BvW concept works if they don't start on separate tribes, honestly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think BvW really works on the same tribe. That would just immediately create a split where they were trying to bust up couples and come merge there'd be half a dozen pairs guaranteed. It would be a weird game of doubles making alliances with doubles. Setting them on opposite tribes eliminates that immediate risk and instead raises it to a deeper level of gameplay where you have to debate the merits of eliminating someone from your tribe because you see their partner as a threat down the line or something. Its a harder formula to work out. And it introduces the merger drama where a pair like Aras and Vytas can go from top of the world to #1 targets because they're suddenly super dangerous. And there's the Redemption Island drama of seeing your loved one got voted out and being asked to take their place or just vow revenge.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know, I think it could be fun to see how that would play out. The redemption island thing isn't good in the first place, but it would still exist if loved ones were on the same tribe. And seeing couples connect and make big power groups would be a new thing to watch play out. Imagine if you had a power group of 6, made of 3 couples, and how that would shake down if they got to final 6 together, or if one of them got sent home by an idol play, or something like that. If the minority needs to get a flip, they could get 2 flips in 1. It may not be as good as starting them separated, but it could be.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 3, 2014

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Especially since they are going in knowing its a BvW season. Everyone will have their little plans all laid out.
SURPRISE!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
:siren::siren::siren: No Redemption Island for next season after all:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/04/survivor-redemption-island-axed-for-new-twist-exclusive/

They still have the arena, but they're using it for something else. Possibly someway that will pit the loved ones against each other.

Apparently the plan was to do it, then they changed their minds. Now when people are voted out, they're out. Also all the players apparently are going into the game thinking it's in play, when it actually won't be.

Maybe instead of "You can play for them in RI" it'll be "You'll play against your loved one and the loser leaves the game"? The only problem with that would be, I think, would having both players be motivated to actually compete against each other.

Something which might work better are 1 vs 1 prize comps though. Which is something I thought would work for the arena last time it was around. This would be interesting, because you don't want to throw the comp to your loved one, because then you look bad to your tribe and they lose out on the reward. And if they get pissed off, they'd vote you out. With the number of players, that should at least guarantee 8 episodes worth of that. I'm sure they may merge before that though.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 4, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been rewatching Survivor Nicaragua because... I guess I kind of hate myself. Its actually way more tolerable and fun when you go in knowing that all the assholes get their comeuppance in some way, shape, or form. Naonka gets clowned by Jeff. Brenda gets a hilarious fall going from smugly calling herself King to being nearly unanimously voted out in the same episode. The show highlighting all of Chase's dense, spineless, crap. And most importantly Sash still pulling all his pathetic "puppet master" lies at the end even when its become 100% clear everyone's seen through it and Fabio is laughing his rear end off at him. Its actually in retrospect pretty comforting to watch all those assholes fall on their faces and suffer for their flaws.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They could use the arena for 1vs1 (tribes decide on their "champion") and the winner decides whether he takes a reward for the tribe or individual immunity for his loved one.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

GaussianCopula posted:

They could use the arena for 1vs1 (tribes decide on their "champion") and the winner decides whether he takes a reward for the tribe or individual immunity for his loved one.
Brutal. I love the concept.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I've been rewatching Survivor Nicaragua because... I guess I kind of hate myself. Its actually way more tolerable and fun when you go in knowing that all the assholes get their comeuppance in some way, shape, or form. Naonka gets clowned by Jeff. Brenda gets a hilarious fall going from smugly calling herself King to being nearly unanimously voted out in the same episode. The show highlighting all of Chase's dense, spineless, crap. And most importantly Sash still pulling all his pathetic "puppet master" lies at the end even when its become 100% clear everyone's seen through it and Fabio is laughing his rear end off at him. Its actually in retrospect pretty comforting to watch all those assholes fall on their faces and suffer for their flaws.

I actually really liked Brenda the second time around, although I agree she was smug as hell in Nicaragua and definitely deserved to be voted out by her BBF Na'. Also...Marty :(

Anyway I think the best karmic retribution from that terrible horrible no good very bad sesaon is

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Everyone gets the comeuppance but Jane gets 100k

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

2 hour+ Russell interview with RobC
http://traffic.libsyn.com/robcesternino/20140530-russell2-unsafe_mixdown.mp3
:stare:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I actually really liked Brenda the second time around

The only things I remember Brenda doing on the second season is humiliating Dawn on national television and then... demanding an apology for it :confuoot:

What am I forgetting here?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Does anyone actually listen to all these super long RHAP episodes?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

The only things I remember Brenda doing on the second season is humiliating Dawn on national television and then... demanding an apology for it :confuoot:

There was also her somehow drowning herself/being able to survive underwater for a ridiculous amount of time.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

blue squares posted:

I listen to them while working. Some of them I pay a lot of attention to, some I zone out during for periods. Cochran had one recently that was almost 4 hours, but it was pretty funny the whole time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lone Goat posted:

There was also the bit where she spent the whole auction stalling on bidding just so she could buy pig brains

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anything is better than Redemption Island, but I would rather have regular team reward challenges than arena stuff.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Pilot for Holding Hantz which is getting shopped around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KEwTPKyC4

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

Watching the blindsides of Andrea and Brenda back to back are hilarious. How quickly Brenda forgot.

Andrea: WHAT? You guys! :sun: :sun:
Brenda: :qq: :qq:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

blue squares posted:

I'm not going to listen to this one, but I listen to like 90% of them. As long as the guest is interesting it'll have my attention.

Though I listen to like 30 hours of podcasts a week at work so your mileage may vary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Brenda didn't do much of anything on Caramoan. I kind of half heartedly rooted for her because she seemed inoffensive and was pretty and had the bad rear end drowning challenge win and I just wanted things to be shook up but really she was just kind of there.

I think Caramoan was my first "live" season and it came very early into my marathon of the show. I literally didn't know a single favorite returning. It was weird watching their first seasons afterwards and finding I hated most of them the first time around. Then I was trying to rationalize the timeline of it. Like, if I liked them or found them inoffensive at first and hated them later did that mean they grew as people since I was watching in reverse? Should I actually be cool with Brenda watching Nicaragua because a couple of years later she's not a smug, obnoxious princess? Phillip annoyed me less in Caramoan then he did last week when I watched Redemption Island so does that mean he got better?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Brenda didn't do much of anything on Caramoan. I kind of half heartedly rooted for her because she seemed inoffensive and was pretty and had the bad rear end drowning challenge win and I just wanted things to be shook up but really she was just kind of there.

Apparently her dad reminded her to be humble, and it actually worked. She was quietly in the background, but that's a sea change from the petulant King of Nicaragua. She kind of got ghosted in the edit, but I thought she had a bunch of sweet character moments that changed my opinion of her more than anybody else on the cast.

And she was, of course, kind of a badass in challenges.

quote:

I think Caramoan was my first "live" season and it came very early into my marathon of the show. I literally didn't know a single favorite returning. It was weird watching their first seasons afterwards and finding I hated most of them the first time around. Then I was trying to rationalize the timeline of it. Like, if I liked them or found them inoffensive at first and hated them later did that mean they grew as people since I was watching in reverse? Should I actually be cool with Brenda watching Nicaragua because a couple of years later she's not a smug, obnoxious princess? Phillip annoyed me less in Caramoan then he did last week when I watched Redemption Island so does that mean he got better?

Phillip? He got...hammier. Stealth R Us worked so well for his edit the first time around, there was no way he wasn't returning to that goldmine.

It's kind of unfortunate. When I've listened to him on RHAP he comes across as highly reasonable, intelligent, and perceptive. Like, I think he called the winner of South Pacific very shortly after the merge, which in hindsight is pretty amazing. If he'd brought that Phillip back with him, he could have done very, very well.

But noo~ooo. It was Stealth R Us and Franchesqua and :byodame:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brenda is overall one of the worst and most overrated players on Survivor

Remember all the nothing she did in both seasons? Remember how the only immunity challenge she's ever won was literally from staying motionless, saying nothing, and not moving?

And she was, of course, kind of a badass in challenges.

She's won one immunity challenge. Literally ever, in all of her time on the show

(ed: Wait she won one in Nicaragua, is still a terrible player)

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 4, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Lone Goat posted:

Did we ever find out what the deal was with Dawn's teeth? I remember feeling very strongly that it was a result of domestic violence at the time but now I can't remember why.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

She's won one immunity challenge. Literally ever, in all of her time on the show

(ed: Wait she won one in Nicaragua, is still a terrible player)

That's two more than James ever won!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's two more than James ever won!

But to be fair, he was a beast in tribal challenges way back in China. There are probably two or three ways in which Todd owes him specifically for that win.

Well, him and Amanda.

And yeah I know Brenda isn't a great player, I just ~liked~ her the second time.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
In her, like, 4 minutes of screen time before finding Dawn's teeth, Brenda seemed fun and bubbly and it was a refreshing change of pace that she just seemed to be enjoying herself and not taking the game too seriously. And then she tore Dawn apart for having the nerve to vote her out, because they had a special connection which gave Brenda the right to beat her in the finals.

The only solace I can take from Brenda's late onset angel/victim edit is that it probably got her hopes up that she could win fan favorite, only for her to narrowly lose anyway

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

blue squares posted:

I listen to most of them, although I do tend to skip the ones with guests I'm uninterested in or non-Survivor/Big Brother people. They're perfect for when I'm out for long walks/commuting to and from work/occasionally when I have shifts I can listen to podcasts.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

I listen to most of them, although I do tend to skip the ones with guests I'm uninterested in or non-Survivor/Big Brother people. They're perfect for when I'm out for long walks/commuting to and from work/occasionally when I have shifts I can listen to podcasts.
I won't even ask where you listen to interviews with Rachel.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Juanito posted:

I won't even ask where you listen to interviews with Rachel.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
South Pacific is so lame. :laffo:

Hey Jesus, it's Brandon and/or Coach. Could you please take a moment to tell me who to vote for tonight? Oh and thank you for willing me to win this silly challenge on a reality tv show.

That's what this whole season feels like, goddamn.

Edit: And then Jesus wanted Brandon to give Albert the necklace and simultaneously wanted Coach to vote him out. This is amazing.

These idiots are actually making me root for Ozzy.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 5, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The worst part about Brenda and the teeth was that she didn't even vote for Dawn to win after all that. What was the point in humiliating her like that and asking Dawn to embarrass herself for her if she was never going to vote for her to win anyway? Everyone there knew Cochran would win anyway, the least she could have done is throw Dawn a pity vote to make sure she wins the second place prize over Sherri.

All that being said, I still mostly like her, but that Final Tribal definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mancalamania posted:

The worst part about Brenda and the teeth was that she didn't even vote for Dawn to win after all that. What was the point in humiliating her like that and asking Dawn to embarrass herself for her if she was never going to vote for her to win anyway? Everyone there knew Cochran would win anyway, the least she could have done is throw Dawn a pity vote to make sure she wins the second place prize over Sherri.

All that being said, I still mostly like her, but that Final Tribal definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Cochran won because he got to pin all the dirty poo poo on Dawn. Brenda's questioning exposed Dawn's lying. Brenda dove for teeth because Dawn threatened a quit and banked on Brenda's ~friendship~ to make her face look nice enough to go on with the game. Dawn claimed in FTC that the quit threat was a lie, and making her pull the teeth out forced her to back that lie up. Ostensibly, if she was in fact willing to go on playing without the teeth, everybody would have seen her like that. It was a quality FTC moment; it cemented the truth behind Dawn's betrayal and helped the Cochran win.

Besides, Cochran was sitting pretty in the Stone Throne Own Zone the whole time, anyway.

• Locked thread