Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

King of Solomon posted:

Except the other covenants are actually fun to engage with. Ratbros are like gank squads; yeah, it's possible to win, but it's unlikely and just feels like a waste of time. gently caress that noise.

Sometimes I hang out in ratbro areas so I can fight ratbros. :shrug: I know the odds are stacked against me but not everyone thinks that isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think getting summoned to the Grave of Saints is fun. I'd enjoy Pharros more if it wasn't for the water.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The initial Pharos ambush is just way too brutal. If the ratbro isn't an idiot they will just rush you as soon as the mastodon and rats get close for an easy kill. Fighting all those enemies at once is basically impossible and you have nowhere to retreat too. Everything aside from that, while difficult to win, is nowhere near impossible.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bell Keepers is by far the best covenant. Throw your summon sign down in Belfry Luna if you want fun.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

PublicOpinion posted:

I think getting summoned to the Grave of Saints is fun. I'd enjoy Pharros more if it wasn't for the water.

When I was a ratbro in Pharros, I just fought them down in the water, because I'm really impatient.

I'm...not really a good ratbro.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Internet Kraken posted:

Why? Ratbros stack fights in their favor, but they're hardly the most unfair. Bell cops invade YOUR world, so you can actually lose stuff fighting them. Just like ratbros, you have to fight enemies at the same time so the odds are stacked against you. Unlike ratbros there is almost always TWO of them, and beating PvP geared players in a 2v1 is a total crapshoot. If either of them is even somewhat decent you'll just get stunlocked and killed. Its way more unfair than ratbros, costs you actual progress, and you don't even get anything for beating them.

I don't engage with bellbros much either. I don't absolutely loathe going into their areas because they're not huge areas and you're still actually capable of making progress while they're around (making them less of a pain than ratbros), but it's still not my favorite thing.

Being a bellbro isn't much more fun, but titanite chunks makes it worthwhile.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

animatorZed posted:

When I was a ratbro in Pharros, I just fought them down in the water, because I'm really impatient.

I'm...not really a good ratbro.

This is the optimal way to ratbro though. Standing up above and using ranged attacks is dumb as hell. Its annoying but its perfectly possible for someone to dodge all your poo poo while fighting the enemies. If you instead just hide in a corner and wait for them to engage the mastodon, you'll basically win everytime. Fighting an angry elephant man while some jerk fires arrows at you? Hard, but possible. Fighting an angry elephant man while some crazy fucker runs up from behind and starts spamming pyromancy? You're hosed.

King of Solomon posted:

I don't engage with bellbros much either. I don't absolutely loathe going into their areas because they're not huge areas and you're still actually capable of making progress while they're around (making them less of a pain than ratbros), but it's still not my favorite thing.

Being a bellbro isn't much more fun, but titanite chunks makes it worthwhile.

The only way you're going to make progress is if both bell bros are total idiots. If they're not, they will kill you. Then you make no progress and you die horribly.

If you don't want to fight a rat bro, you can just black crystal out. Or let them kill you. Its entirely on you if you choose to engage with them. You're complaining about 20 seconds of loading. That is all you have to "lose" when dealing with ratbros.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
It's usually way easier to blitz past a ratbro and reach the fog gate than it is to get past bellbros, and if you manage to make it through the fog you get plopped down right at the boss bonfire. It's really not that big a deal.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the optimal way to ratbro though. Standing up above and using ranged attacks is dumb as hell. Its annoying but its perfectly possible for someone to dodge all your poo poo while fighting the enemies. If you instead just hide in a corner and wait for them to engage the mastodon, you'll basically win everytime. Fighting an angry elephant man while some jerk fires arrows at you? Hard, but possible. Fighting an angry elephant man while some crazy fucker runs up from behind and starts spamming pyromancy? You're hosed.

I let them kill the enemies first.

Like I said, not good at the job :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Ratbros are probably the worst at PvP.
There are a lot of terrible dragonbros at Iron Keep

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The real secret to DS PvP is that everyone is terrible.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Oh no, I got summoned in Grave of Saints! Welp, time to book it like mad past the giant acid shower, because it doesn't hit the railing, so you can sneak by it, get up the ladder and even with 10 endurance and a tiny amount of stamina, you can beat anyone to the door. Man, good luck next time ratbro. Be more aggressive!

Oh no, I got summoned in Doors of Pharos! Welp, time to roll and use stamina smartly to avoid the rat and first mastadon and shittily aimed GLS and Avelyn heading my way and make it to the ladder. Once I'm there, it's kind of funny because the ratbro that was throwing poo poo at me has to either jump down or go all the way around, because you know the first lockstone they used is on the one next to the exit extending the wall. At which point you can jump from the torch towards the chest, run until you're at the first axe-thrower statue that is guarding the tiny bridge, totally juke it without even slowing, laugh at the really slow dwarves (and awful ratbro) and make it to the exit without fighting a thing!

Man, that sure was the shittiest PVP experience in the whole of dark souls! Nope, not even being invaded right before the third bonfire in shrine of obama!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My only problem with ratbros is I can't invade in their areas. Doors of Pharos is so cool but I can't dickwraith there, which makes me sad.

Doors of Pharos is such a disappointingly short area. Its so cool but so small, much like Aldia's Keep.

VVV Fair enough about the PS3, load times are on an average about 5 seconds for me. It still just seems odd to me to complain so much about the most chill invasion covenant ever. To me, grabbing items is only progress if they are items I actually need. Shards are progress. Bone dust is progress. Some soul consumable I never use isn't. The most worthwhile items in the bellcop zones are spices, which are only useful for people that have gone down the PvP rabbit hole.

Not that this particular point matters since you get an item for beating ratbros. Progress!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 5, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Internet Kraken posted:

The only way you're going to make progress is if both bell bros are total idiots. If they're not, they will kill you. Then you make no progress and you die horribly.

If you don't want to fight a rat bro, you can just black crystal out. Or let them kill you. Its entirely on you if you choose to engage with them. You're complaining about 20 seconds of loading. That is all you have to "lose" when dealing with ratbros.

Collecting items (or ringing the bell in Belfry Luna so you can fight the boss) is progress. There's generally a bit of a cooldown between bellbro spawns (it varies a lot, but you're not going to get another pair immediately after fighting one regardless of the results) so you can continue where you left off, even if you die. You can totally still progress through those areas if you're smart about it. Ratbros actively deny you progress, even if it's for an utterly trivial amount of time.

Also I haven't actually engaged with Ratbros since migrating to the PC. Those load times were not trivial on the PS3.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

Man, that sure was the shittiest PVP experience in the whole of dark souls! Nope, not even being invaded right before the third bonfire in shrine of obama!

If the Brodent doesn't one-shot you with Sunlight Spear while you're trapped on the ladder then it's a fair bet that he's more interested in loving around than winning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apparently there is a rope you can slide down in the Gutter. I have no idea what it leads to or what purposes it serves. Its one of the things I've only discovered while invading a world.

It does make my comparison of the Gutter to a playground even more apt though. Its a fun place to fight but I'm having problems actually reaching the host to fight them.

God dammit, they're all the way over there now? :saddowns:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Apparently there is a rope you can slide down in the Gutter. I have no idea what it leads to or what purposes it serves. Its one of the things I've only discovered while invading a world.

It does make my comparison of the Gutter to a playground even more apt though. Its a fun place to fight but I'm having problems actually reaching the host to fight them.

The only time I ever got invaded there was when I was at the top of that zip rope. The invader apparently didn't know about its existence either, and after a while of dodging arrows and lightning bolts he just gave up. Guess he didn't have arrows or the determination to find the zip line.

PS: Go back to that area later as a human, there's some OK loot there. A full set of tattered gear (pyromancer starter set in DS1), a titanite chunk which is handy to get early on a playthrough, and an evil eye ring.

Just a plain one, already rendered obsolete by the +1 variant you got by going down the well to the gutter in the first place. The only way you could miss it and get the plain variant first is if you rely exclusively on the ladders you can buy later on and get to the gutter via the extra path beyond the Rat Vanguard boss.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I am new to the Dark Souls catalog and am playing through for the first time. I typically play a paladin or archer type in these types of games but have decided that I want to go with a sword and shield and bash/cut things. Things have been easy so far and I just finished No Man's Wharf and entered the Lost Bastille. I have upgraded a flame sword and have bought some nice armor but right now I have 20K souls and am not sure what to do with them. I don't really see anything I want to buy and I'm not sure where I should go with leveling up. I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Right now I don't care about PVP. Any thoughts?

Strength 31
Dex 12
Vit 8
Vig 15
End 15

Everything else is like 5 or something.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I am new to the Dark Souls catalog and am playing through for the first time. I typically play a paladin or archer type in these types of games but have decided that I want to go with a sword and shield and bash/cut things. Things have been easy so far and I just finished No Man's Wharf and entered the Lost Bastille. I have upgraded a flame sword and have bought some nice armor but right now I have 20K souls and am not sure what to do with them. I don't really see anything I want to buy and I'm not sure where I should go with leveling up. I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Right now I don't care about PVP. Any thoughts?

Strength 31
Dex 12
Vit 8
Vig 15
End 15

Try to get the Varangian's Sword from No Man's Wharf or the Broadsword. Looks fine to me - although you might wanna experiment with the Large Club, which is in the Lost Bastille.
Also just so you know the Fire Longsword gets the fire bonus from both Int and Faith, so if you just wanna go Sword and Board use the Varangian's Sword, Claymore, Bastard Sword, or Broadsword. Because you wanna play like that level those stats, although stopping at 40 is fine for Strength and Dex. Level up some more Vig, Vit and End maybe.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Strength 31
Dex 12
Vit 8
Vig 15
End 15

I would definitely pump some points into ADP. It will give your rolls more invincible frames and in general make your actions a little quicker.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

argondamn posted:

I would definitely pump some points into ADP. It will give your rolls more invincible frames and in general make your actions a little quicker.

I suppose there will come a time I can't just hold up my shield and block everything, right?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh yes. Your shield is a useful tool, especially for a first playthrough. But over reliance on it will be trouble in certain fights. There are bosses who can deplete your entire stamina in a single attack. Learning to avoid and dodge attacks is very important.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

I suppose there will come a time I can't just hold up my shield and block everything, right?

Yes. Although, with a half decent shield you can block a lot of things that don't really look like they should be blockable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There are some enemies/bosses where that's not an option, but generally speaking a good shield (especially greatshields) can carry you through pretty much the whole game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

For the most part you can, but there are some bosses and a few enemies that have attacks that cannot be blocked. You can probably dodge those as you are, it'll just be a little easier if you put points into ADP. I didn't put a single point into ADP when I did my first blind playthrough, so you can definitely get away with it, but I had a lot of experience with Dark Souls.

If you want to go through the game blocking most things, you want to pick whatever shield you have that has the highest stability. From the equipment screen you can hit the "help" button which will tell you what all the icons are for if you don't know where to find it.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 5, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Actually, with a heavy enough shield you can get away with blocking just about everything. The best one takes about 30 strength or so.

General rules of thumb:
  • Keep your encumbrance under 70% (Cranking the vitality stat will get you more equip load). Gains for percentages under 70% are minimal, but once you tip over it you start rolling much, much slower.
  • Get some sort of ranged option. If you're cranking faith get a lightning spear miracle, if you're cranking intelligence grab a soul arrow spell, if you think the first two options sound like gibberish just grab yourself a bow and some arrows. Not all fights are going to be nice to do in pure melee.
  • Don't kill anything you can't lock on to first, it means that disgusting slime monster is actually a disgusting slime monster merchant and not an enemy
  • Don't crank the main stats (strength, dexterity, faith, intelligence) over 40 unless you know what you're doing. Don't crank the other stats (attunement, endurance, vigor, vitality, adaptability) over 30 unless same.
  • Unless you're strapping on a few specific sets of armor, the lion's share of your damage mitigation is going to come from a heavy shield and judicious dodge rolling. That means the only limit to your armor choices is your encumbrance, and how fabulous you look.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 5, 2014

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Hmm. My 350K SM invader is getting rocked repeatedly in the blood arena, mainly because I'm coming up against much tougher opponents. I was having fun invading new players and losing to their phantoms, but man I can't get a single orb out of this place! Any suggestion as to how to beat much stronger opponents? My, uh, +3 bastard sword doesn't seem to be cutting it. I've got low pretty much everything, which is probably why I'm losing all the time.

Stats: 15 vigor, 20 end, 19 vit, 10 atn, 20 str, 12 dex, 12 adp, 6 int/fth

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You will never win arena fights at 350k SM. There is no SM limit on the arena, it matches you against whoever it feels like. Most people there are way above your level and will just crush you unless they are spectacularly awful.

Just use a CE to add red eye orbs to your inventory. Having to grind them out of the arena is dumb bullshit.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Flytrap posted:

The real secret to DS PvP is that everyone is terrible.

I've been winning most of my fights by just running at the enemy and delaying the attack a bit to hit them while they're rolling backwards, only the elite few will figure out this overpowered strategy and do the exact counter to this move: doing literally anything but rolling backwards. The fabled masters of dark souls pvp will do the unheard of strategy of attacking first.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Control Volume posted:

I've been winning most of my fights by just running at the enemy and delaying the attack a bit to hit them while they're rolling backwards, only the elite few will figure out this overpowered strategy and do the exact counter to this move: doing literally anything but rolling backwards.

What a bunch of cowards. Everyone knows you roll forward through attacks!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

What a bunch of cowards. Everyone knows you roll forward through attacks!

This is true. In fact the best strategy is to roll around the enemy several times until out of stamina then eat hits, I know this is a good strategy because many people I fight do this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Control Volume posted:

This is true. In fact the best strategy is to roll around the enemy several times until out of stamina then eat hits, I know this is a good strategy because many people I fight do this.

Bonus points if the spell you have readied after your rolling frenzy doesn't match the catalyst you try to throw it with.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I've been winning most of my fights by just running at the enemy and delaying the attack a bit to hit them while they're rolling backwards, only the elite few will figure out this overpowered strategy and do the exact counter to this move: doing literally anything but rolling backwards. The fabled masters of dark souls pvp will do the unheard of strategy of attacking first.

Then they roll again and you don't hit them because even though you read the situation right lag made you unable to punish their roll.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

argondamn posted:

Then they roll again and you don't hit them because even though you read the situation right lag made you unable to punish their roll.

Hmm this seems like a good counter strategy, no one I fight seems to use it though, most of the time they just roll again without the lag! What scrubs.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I was wandering around the gutter and noticed something that looked like loot really high up so I scoured all over looking for the way to reach it. You get there from a place you wouldn't think try reaching. I was certain I was gonna clip through and die because it wasn't meant to be part of the level, but turns out it was!

(There really isn't much of use there.)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Flytrap posted:

If the Brodent doesn't one-shot you with Sunlight Spear while you're trapped on the ladder then it's a fair bet that he's more interested in loving around than winning.

Usually if they're doing that, they're just above the entrance near the fog gate, and have closed the path forcing to take the long way around. And if you're fast, even if they realize you're just booking it and jump down, won't be able to catch you. It's kind of sad, actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is soul bolt worth using? I just got it for the first time after missing it in NG. Also man the LGK is way more fun when a squire shows up. He dressed up like a little version of him. A hand mirror knight. :v:

e: I am starting to think 6 mil SM might be a bit high for NG+. I do not see many summon signs now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 5, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

Usually if they're doing that, they're just above the entrance near the fog gate, and have closed the path forcing to take the long way around. And if you're fast, even if they realize you're just booking it and jump down, won't be able to catch you. It's kind of sad, actually.

Why would he be there and not near the chest and dwarf waiting to pelt you while your helpless on the ladder?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Every rat summon I've ever gotten the rear end in a top hat has either lightning speared me or casted me to death as soon as I try to fight the mastodon. It would be cool if it was a little more forgiving at the beginning so it isn't just a thirty second poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is soul bolt worth using? I just got it for the first time after missing it in NG. Also man the LGK is way more fun when a squire shows up. He dressed up like a little version of him. A hand mirror knight. :v:

e: I am starting to think 6 mil SM might be a bit high for NG+. I do not see many summon signs now.
hahahahahhahahahaha
No, 6mil SM is not high for the NG+ pool at all, don't worry about it.
As for Soul Bolt, I never used it so no opinion.