Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I wish there were more one-colored solid decals. Pink and purple are two that would work well with a wide range of vehicles. Who wouldn't want to drive a pink Panther?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Feindfeuer posted:

Who wouldn't want to drive a pink Panther?

Literal Nazis who hate fun :v:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
First ever sim planes battle, fly out the IL2 on Kursk, HOLY poo poo. That poo poo is so fun. Killed a bunch of ai ground poo poo, turn around, see soemthing getting shot at by our AAA, so I fly over and proceed to shoot down a player Stuka. GOTY.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
They AAA in CA either needs to be more spread out or just plain reduced. Even playing an RB match as Japan on Zhengzhou isn't this crazy. As it stands AAA is a randomized 30-second to 4-minute timer for your plane skytonk.

I've had the best luck with the Ar-2, once killing three F2s in one run. 250kg bombs are pretty much required unless you have really great aim.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Did they change something with planes yesterday because suddenly I'm dying after like, 1-2 hits whereas before I could take a good beating before going down.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I haven't played for a few months, but I'm not seeing how to do both planes and tanks in the same fight? I just get a button at the bottom that says Plane Battles or Tank Battles.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Tank battles is combined arms, for RB and SB only currently. I was confused too!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Subyng posted:

Did they change something with planes yesterday because suddenly I'm dying after like, 1-2 hits whereas before I could take a good beating before going down.

I really wish I had named the thread Confirmation Bias: Point and Click Edition.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's not confirmation bias though, literally every plane death today was an insta-kill and literally every plane death before today (AA excepted) was a slow death. I've played very few games so far so I can account for every single one. My question was rhetorical anyway, it was just annoying getting killed with 1-2 hits every game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Subyng posted:

It's not confirmation bias though, literally every plane death today was an insta-kill and literally every plane death before today (AA excepted) was a slow death. I've played very few games so far so I can account for every single one. My question was rhetorical anyway, it was just annoying getting killed with 1-2 hits every game.

Your account is probably flagged for losses. Did you criticize Gaijin on their forums recently?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Decided to set up my stick and stuff for simulator battles. Copied Thief's idea of left-handing my mouse for view control and throttle control. What do you use the mouse buttons for, btw, Thief? I've currently got them set for LMB-Flaps, MMB-Bomb Release, RMB-Rockets (with the side buttons being PTT and change view for tanks gunnery sight scoping).

Did a few test flights in the He-112 A-O, MC202, and Ju-87. The 202 has a really nice cockpit I discovered.

It also seemed to handle well in Simulator, though I'm sure the story will be different in combat. Seemed resistant to spinning for more than a rotation or two when I intentionally jerked the stick though (unlike the 112A-0, which promptly entered a relatively recoverable flatspin). I also found it amusing the Italian planes get to test fly around Malta.

The Stuka is surprisingly quiet inside the cockpit, I was also pleased the the tried and true method of "drop bombs when target passes under nose out of view" works pretty well still, managing a relatively close hit on the target truck in the test flight.

I was able to take off and land with all 3 aircraft without too much trouble, which was nice. Though my one barnstorming attempt in the 202 resulted in my clipping a wing on a bridge, amazingly I survived even though the plane tumbled some distance. Always amuses me to see bullet hole damage when you've not actually been shot.

Probably gonna try some actual fighting in Combined Arms tomorrow. Might get some practice flight in with some low level Russian planes first. A very stupid part of me wants to take the Po-2 into combined arms. :v: [fake edit] Nevermind it doesn't have a cockpit modeled. :smith:

[edit] By the way, how damaging are 100kg bombs and Russian 82mm Rockets against tanks? Do you have to score direct hits, or will a close splash (few meters) do damage?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 5, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I see that pubbies still go head on against a Beaufighter. And follow your dying wreck of a plane so closely that they crash into a mountain a second after you do.

I've missed this game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Subyng posted:

Except that is quite literally confirmation bias. Are the planes more agile now because I stopped getting hit today? :smugdog:

For real though, focus on not getting hit so that your mind isn't busy considering lesser things such as durability. Despite what some butthurt people say, this is actually a legit strategy because positioning and situational awareness are extremely important in this game and it directs your attention away from potential plane durability when instead it should be more towards one of the 50 other things to consider that will have a far greater impact on your situation when flying in a dogfight.

And of course it was rhetorical because you didn't even use a question mark but lol people are going to answer anyway since you posted it on an internet videogame forum for nerds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Always amuses me to see bullet hole damage when you've not actually been shot.

I've noticed this as well but after having made a few skins, it seems there is a blanket damage texture that goes over the entire default skin. This is for the outside of the plane though. I have dug through the files for the inside of the cockpit but I assume they're largely similar though likely with more stages of destruction because of how close up and detailed it all is.

One cool thing about cockpit view is how planes that don't have fully closed cockpits will have differing transparencies. Like if there's two sliding glass plates on the side and they overlap loosely, you can peek through the gap and be looking at the actual sky out there. This seems to apply to bullet holes as well. And each cockpit seems to have its own wind sounds as air rushes by, which you may have noticed flying the 112 and :italy: planes.

Thief fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 5, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Apparently I pissed off a mod and now he kills my dick every time he sees me in chat. Banned for two days for a handful of posts ( spamming I guess? ) while I waited for a battle. :commissar:

I unlocked the Lancaster because I'm stupid, and I flew it for the same reason. Because just being a Lancaster wasn't enough of a target, I put a giant 'BRITAIN 2, GERMANY 0' on the wings. So many loving Germans in my rear end all night long.

The good news is that the Lancaster is actually really cheap to repair and carries a pretty good bomb load, so it's actually a pretty good farm bomber. The bad news is that the defensive armament kind of sucks, and it's engines make a sound like cooing morning doves for some unfathomable loving reason. Still, it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I like it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] By the way, how damaging are 100kg bombs and Russian 82mm Rockets against tanks? Do you have to score direct hits, or will a close splash (few meters) do damage?

You pretty much have to score a direct hit with both. At least rockets are direct hit only. Also, be prepared to get shot down by AAA as soon as you enter the tank battle area.

Actually. Flying in simulator combined arms is broken and unplayable.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 5, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
A more important question is has anyone ever managed to ever kill anything at all with a Japanese 60kg bomb? I'm absolutely convinced they don't do any damage at all.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ghetto wormhole posted:

A more important question is has anyone ever managed to ever kill anything at all with a Japanese 60kg bomb? I'm absolutely convinced they don't do any damage at all.

Yeah, they can actually kill Light and heavy pillboxes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

They're like hood ornaments. Japanese bombs have little stipes painted on them to make them aesthetically pleasing and to show off to your enemy as you beat them in a turn fight with bombs mounted.

See also: the 2x250kgs mounted on my Ki-43 Hayabusa.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

MrOnBicycle posted:

You pretty much have to score a direct hit with both. At least rockets are direct hit only. Also, be prepared to get shot down by AAA as soon as you enter the tank battle area.

The RS-82 may need a direct hit, but they are easy to aim as long as you remember that you have to aim off-center. One direct hit can be enough to take out a low tier tank and two will be able to blow up a Tiger and/or Panther if the angle of attack is steep enough.

My pic from the OP, showcasing that even just spamming them in the general direction is an effective tactic.

Also don't be afraid of the AAA it will not shoot at you at all if you come in low enough, just don't go slow or the players will shoot you down. Go in fast, kill the AAA, come around and do some fast dives on the tank dudes. The soviet biplanes are basically perfect for CA ground attack because of the combination of high maneuverability (not crashing into those trees while going tree-top) and carrying enoug rockets to blow up anything you come across.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Actually. Flying in simulator combined arms is broken and unplayable.
I do pretty well with the Ar-2 in sim and I don't even have a stick. It's slow as hell and handles like a house but it has so much goddamn lift it's actually pretty tough to crash and doesn't need such frivolities as control surfaces to remain stubbornly airborne. I just float around at like 300m and 180kph happily smashing tankmans with my six 250kg bombs. Its dive brakes are also hilariously effective and mean you can just aim bombs by pointing the plane straight at the target in a full-power vertical dive. When you release just pull up and retract the brakes and you float off like a big angry kite.

Basically the Ar-2 is easymode. It's cheap as hell, incredibly forgiving to fly, and carries enough big bombs to really ruin someone's day.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^^ I'll try it. So far I've only tried playing with the IL2 and the Stuka. Everything else seem to screw up my match making and have me wait forever.

Are you paying simulator battles?

I tried going low, high, everything. As soon as I go into the the tank battle area, I get sniped by some AAA puff shrapnel and my plane controls are hosed.

I think they might have made the AAA a bit too strong to compensate for the easy flying / aiming in RB. SB isn't balanced for it.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My Panzer IV has impotency problems.

edit: :gay:

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 5, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ghetto wormhole posted:

They're a bit tricky to use, but I solo'd the entirety of the Zhengzhou map with them once. It was something really dumb like 50+ ground kills, half of which were pillboxes and light pillboxes.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

My Panzer IV has impotency problems.

I can recommend a 100% natural herbal supplement, it works wonders.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Teal posted:

I can recommend a 100% natural herbal supplement, it works wonders.

Soviet tankers hate him, learn about this mans weird old trick.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

They're a bit tricky to use, but I solo'd the entirety of the Zhengzhou map with them once. It was something really dumb like 50+ ground kills, half of which were pillboxes and light pillboxes.

:siren: confirmation bias!!1 :siren:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RS-82s need a direct hit, 100kg don't but they do need to be pretty close (they'll wreck any tank in the game if you land one close enough, though). The premium Peshka with 2x250kg and 4x100kg is my current favorite CA bomber in the Russian tree.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

100kg bombs are pretty much my favourite tool for tankhunting, because you usually get so many of them and every single one is able to kill a tank (at least in T1 and T2 where I've tried them). A direct hit isn't required, but you do need to be fairly accurate. They generally seem to be lethal if they hit within one tank's length of the target. Try them with something that gets a bomb sight first (the Su-2 is great for this) to get used to their trajectory, and soon you'll be scoring direct hits even without a sight all the time.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
My two favourite moments in combined arms so far both happened yesterday.

1) blowing the wing off a il-2 with default ammo in a tiger.

2) Killing a panzer IV with the 2x50kg bombs on my La-5.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

PS4 pubbies get really defensive when you suggest that their console may be the reason they're doing worse than their PC playing betters. I think I'm going to stick to the low tiers for a bit and just keep sealclubbing them. :allears:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I unlocked the Lancaster because I'm stupid, and I flew it for the same reason. Because just being a Lancaster wasn't enough of a target, I put a giant 'BRITAIN 2, GERMANY 0' on the wings. So many loving Germans in my rear end all night long.

The good news is that the Lancaster is actually really cheap to repair and carries a pretty good bomb load, so it's actually a pretty good farm bomber. The bad news is that the defensive armament kind of sucks, and it's engines make a sound like cooing morning doves for some unfathomable loving reason. Still, it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I like it.

I've seen Lancasters do some crazy poo poo. Britain may not have a G8N1 but otherwise it is probably the best Era IV nation in the game right now :britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_5Qc1mK54&t=20s

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It doesn't even have its historical bombload. I've read about missions where they loaded 2 4000lb bombs and 6-10 500lb bombs. Not to mention the special missions where they used these motherfuckers. They need to give the Lancaster these loads as compensation for the anemic defensive armament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViFS40N6SY :britain:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What's in the WT forum Tiger thread today?

quote:

As it sits right now the Tiger blows. It doesn't have its historical armor, penetration, accuracy, or shells. They nerfed the ever living **** out of it, and then called it a day, meanwhile making the russian guns far better than they were in real life, and making them much less likely to have crew or module damage.

Unbelievable that once again its a russian company who is making these kinds of decisions. If it were an American company there would be no bias at all. They admire German and Russian tanks. If their goal was to make things historically accurate they would do so. But they don't. They don't care about historical accuracy when it comes to german tanks. I have been ammo racked in 45 degree angled side from a t34 57 at 800 meters. 80mm at 45 degrees, do the math.

Its disgusting how underpowered this tank is, especially compared to what it SHOULD be.

:catstare:

If this were any other type of game I'd say it was a troll but WW2 games..... eh.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flannelette posted:

If this were any other type of game I'd say it was a troll but WW2 games..... eh.

thats just awesome. Im sure its beneath him to math how weak his sides are at 45 degrees. At 800m the shots would have a moderate arc and possibly hit the engine deck from the top

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Flannelette posted:

That 80mm at 45 degrees and 800m seems borderline possible, based on a sentence in Wikipedia. Probably safe to say it is a troll.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I was disappointed upon my purchase of the Tiger tank to discover that I was not being matched with two of my Tiger brothers against 15 1941 T-34s. Considering that I selected "realistic" battles I expected to receive an experience that approximated the reality of World War 2 tiger aces such as Walter "Walt" Whitmann, and furthermore

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

That 80mm at 45 degrees and 800m seems borderline possible, based on a sentence in Wikipedia. Probably safe to say it is a troll.

Why cant i roll forward ignoring all fire while one shotting everyone else? This game is bullshit.
Im sure he is assuming the 80mm side means 80 in all parts of the side, not counting the weak armor behind the wheels or the very weak area that is the turret ring.

I love the 152 because it ignores all their careful positioning and just one shots everyone

Sometimes I shoot a tank and its says I did no damage but I see something fly off their tank. Is that just cosmetic?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 5, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah bits and pieces can blow off.

Today I dropped into a game in the Pz38t-A, and immediately rolled the tank onto its side just outside the spawn. So I called in Arty on myself. Then a Ps4 pubbie in a reserve tank came along and started to try and push me right-side-up.

Just in time for the full arty strike to wipe us both out. Welcome to cross-platform, bitch :getin:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fauxtool posted:

Why cant i roll forward ignoring all fire while one shotting everyone else? This game is bullshit.
Im sure he is assuming the 80mm side means 80 in all parts of the side, not counting the weak armor behind the wheels or the very weak area that is the turret ring.

I love the 152 because it ignores all their careful positioning and just one shots everyone

Sometimes I shoot a tank and its says I did no damage but I see something fly off their tank. Is that just cosmetic?

I had pretty much all of the external bits on my T-70 get wrecked one battle where I took about 30 hits. The most damage I got during the fight was my suspension and tracks were red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I actually had pubbies who did manage to upright might tank. On the "few" occasions that has happenend. Tiger talk; I guess he did overlook a flanking T34 killing him from a 90° angle. Besides 45° is too much of an angle for the Tiger. Perhaps someone could point him towards the Panzerfibel.

• Locked thread