Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

ChaosArgate posted:

You guys really wanna risk him burning out on the LP before getting back to the good stuff?

Don't worry too much about me burning out on Tokimemo 3, if I get overly angry at its awfulness I have Plans(tm) in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Y'all should vote for Orange? to keep the streak going.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I want Orange to win because I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes :magical:

Though on that note, Sheep which character would you say is the best representation of Tokimemo 3's problems?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I want Orange to win because I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes :magical:

Though on that note, Sheep which character would you say is the best representation of Tokimemo 3's problems?

Red. Poorly thought out story, unlikeable character traits, and, well...

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Will be streaming tonight at 8 Pacific. http://twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

I need to check my system clock though, if I get this wrong there's a chance I'll never meet Grey.

Great game, guys :bang:

Stream done for the night. First post coming Friday night, and some more polls while they're still relevant.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 6, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd watch, but twitch seems to think that I want to watch an episode of a teen drama instead.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ardeem posted:

I'd watch, but twitch seems to think that I want to watch an episode of a teen drama instead.

No, that's the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tokimemo 3 got pretty intense about an hour in. I didn't realize how quickly the action would ramp up and you'd have to be juggling bombs and dudes. It's hardcore.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

vibratingsheep posted:

I need to check my system clock though, if I get this wrong there's a chance I'll never meet Grey.

SSNeoman posted:

Tokimemo 3 got pretty intense about an hour in. I didn't realize how quickly the action would ramp up and you'd have to be juggling bombs and dudes. It's hardcore.
Sounds like an amazing game, we (you) should probably complete all routes in it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

kissekatt posted:

Sounds like an amazing game, we (you) should probably complete all routes in it.

I've already beaten Gunstar Heroes with both Fixed Shot and Free Shot though...

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

SSNeoman posted:

This is made by the same company who did Contra. We can only assume they approach high school girls much the same as they would alien invaders and guerrillas.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

This is made by the same company who did Contra. We can only assume they approach high school girls much the same as they would alien invaders and guerrillas.
That's funny, I approach alien invaders and guerrillas the same way I would high school girls.

Maybe that's why I have so much trouble with action games.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

vibratingsheep posted:

I've already beaten Gunstar Heroes with both Fixed Shot and Free Shot though...

Grey has built a silly dice maze! Go!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, Chapter 1: Working the clock

Annoyingly, the first thing we have to do in Tokimeki Memorial 3, especially on the Gray route, is check my PS2's internal clock. Why? It's complicated, but the short version is lazy design.

Because there's no Designated Childhood Friend in Tokimeki Memorial 3, the girl you meet at the beginning of the game is based on your system clock. The moment you hit Accept on your character's name, the game runs a modulo 6 operation on the minutes of your system clock, and based on that, it decides who you meet at the beginning of the game. We need to aim for Remainder 5 to hit Gray. This sounds complicated, so it's easier just to show you how this works:

Because we're trying to meet Serika (I have to start using her name now, otherwise I'm going to keep invoking the power of the glacial blade), I need to make sure that my own clock and my PS2's internal clock line up, otherwise the RNG could screw us over royally.

If we don't meet her on the hill at the beginning of the game, the other two ways to meet Serika are: 1) sleep on holidays with a Stamina stat of 110+ and hope the random number generator is merciful; 2) Make it to Christmas without meeting anyone else somehow (this usually involves doing nothing but sleeping) and pray to the RNG. There are playthroughs where people have done everything right to meet Serika, and she has never shown up. This is the only guaranteed way to do it.

Mark set.

Operation time: 20:02

The opening narration of Tokimeki Memorial 3 is read by whoever you beat the game with last. If you haven't beaten the game with anyone, it defaults to Red. This is necessary because, unlike previous games, there's no Exposition Fairy who tells you the school's legend, so they leave it to the prologue.

On a small hill stands Moegino Private High School.

There's an old, unused path there, separate from the road used to climb up from the base of the hill.

At the entrance of this old path stands an old, deserted shrine called the "Onoko Yashiro" (男社/Man Shrine, and yes, they say Onoko to make it sound older).

They say that it was built as the counterpart to the "Omiga Yashiro" (女社/Woman Shrine, see last note) that stands behind the school.

On the road between those two shrines, there's a little hill that people tell wonderful stories about.
"On that fated day, when two people swear their love among the swirling cherry blossoms, their love will last forever."

That is the story of Moegino High's legendary hill.

Operation time: 20:05

Got some time. Let's watch the opening song. For those of you who want to sing along, here's the opening song on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUkgmB76X8Y

Okay, maybe this doesn't look as bad as I remembered, maybe the intervening 13 years have just embittered me or someth--

DEAR GOD WOMAN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE

I just wanted to let you guys know, it's gonna be all right. We're fine. This is fine.

Operation time: 20:07

With under 4 minutes to work with, I had a nerve-wracking time finding all of the kanji necessary, but meet the new Goon: Fudou Gunzou, nickname "Goon".

For Reasons, he is still a Scorpio, born October 26th with an O blood type.

Operation time: 20:11

Begin!

I don't have enough space on my PS2 memory card, I'm going to skip on making an EVS file. Maybe I will, if I get around to clearing all of my old Super Robot Wars and Disgaea files to make some room. Or, I could just ignore the feature this time around.

4/8: The path begins

Goon: (Starting today, I, Fudou Gunzou, am a student here at Moegino High.)
Goon: (Moegino Private High School sits on a little hill in the northeast part of my home, Moegino City.)
Goon: (Even though it has a long and storied history, it gives its students a lot of freedom, so it's a very popular school.)
Goon: (Well, anyway, it's awesome that I was actually accepted into this school.)
Goon: (I feel like there's going to be a lot ahead of me in my high school life.)
Goon: (Academics, sports, making friends...)
Goon: (And romance, of course. I'm gonna make sure I leave these three years without any regrets!)

4/9: An unexpected meeting

Cut from my script: a lot of snoring and sleepy noises that Goon makes while his alarm keeps blaring.

Goon: (Mmm, what a great morning.)
Goon: (The welcome ceremony yesterday went on for so long. Why do officials always have to talk for so long?)

Goon: (But today, my high school life starts for real.)
Goon: (It's important to start things off on the right foot, so I have to make sure I don't mess anything up today.)
Goon: Okay, time to head out!

Tokimeki Memorial 3 improvement #1: the main character's house is more than just a bedroom and a front door!

Goon: My first day walking to school - I finally feel like I'm in high school.
Goon: Even the shopping district looks different than usual.

I don't know if you've mentioned enough times that you're a high school student, Goon, you might forget unless you say it a few more times in the next few minutes.

Goon: I hope this is going to be fun.

You and me both, youthful avatar.

Goon: Oh yeah, Moegino High has that weird legend, doesn't it?
Goon: At the base of the road to school, if you turn off and take the old path instead, you’ll walk to a place called the Legendary Hill.
Goon: And couples that are made on that hill will live happily ever after, or something like that.
Goon: Happily ever after. That sounds nice.
Goon: Come to think of it, I went there once when I was a kid.
Goon: I don't remember what it was like, though.

Goon: Let's see, at the base of the road to school, turn off right around here, and...
Goon: Ah, here it is.
Goon: I can make it to the Legendary Hill from here.
Goon: Alright! In commemoration of my first day of high school, let's go this way.

Goon: "Onoko Yashiro", was it?

Goon: Man, this is a really old shrine.
Goon: Let's see what's out further.

Holy crap someone overdid it with the cherry blossom effect.

Goon: Wow. It's beautiful.
Goon: The cherry blossoms are in full bloom.

First thought on seeing that schnozz from the side:

Okay maybe it's the vaseline on the camera but it looks way better from the front.

At this point, the game decides to remind you for the fourth time in about 10 minutes that this hill is important and its legend needs to be repeated again. For emphasis, the screen goes white and the pink words scroll by, while another instrumental version of the opening song plays (about 10% of the game's background music has Seven Rainbow in the title, so there'll be more).

Goon: ...So anyway, right now I feel awesome just for making it into Moegino High.
Goon: I'm a little nervous about the next three years, but I hope that I'll have a lot of fun with you.
Goon: Nice to meet all of you!

Goon: (Phew, self-introductions are nerve-wracking.)
Goon: (At least I made it through.)
Goon: (But that girl I saw on the Legendary Hill - she sure was cute.)
Goon: (I should've at least asked her name.)
Goon: (I kind of hate myself right now.)
Red: Umm, uh...

Goon: Oh! Oh, sorry, I spaced out there.
Goon: And you are...
Yukiko: It's me, Makihara Yukiko. We went to grade school and middle school together.
Goon: Huh?
Goon: Makihara?
Yukiko: Oh. Well, I guess you wouldn't remember me. We never really talked.
Goon: Makihara... Makihara... Makihara...

Yukiko: Well, do you remember back in grade school, there was this boy bullying me, and you helped me?
Goon: Makihara... Makihara...
Goon: Oh, yeah, I remember now. I'd totally forgotten that happened.

Red: It did!
Goon: But the Makihara-san I remember was, you know, more like this.

I'm guessing that at this point in the conversation, Goon does some kind of meaningful gesture involving either glasses or hair.

Red: Haha, yeah. I used to keep my hair in a braid, but I cut it all off.
Goon: I see.
Red: Plus, I gave up my glasses and wear contacts now.
Goon: Oh, no wonder I didn't recognize you.
Red: Do I look weird?
Goon: No, not at all. You look pretty good.

Red: ...
Goon: Did I say something wrong?

Red: No, nothing at all. I just got all shy because you said I look good.
Red: Anyway, I'm glad there's someone I know in this class.
Red: Let's have a good three years, okay?

Tokimemo 3 improvement #2: because they're cel-shaded models, the characters have many more poses and emotions. Just... don't look at them from the side and you'll be fine.

Red: By the way, have you joined a club yet?
Red: I'm thinking of joining the baseball club as manager.
Goon: Really? Baseball, huh?
Red: Uh-huh! Do you want to check it out with me?
Goon: I want to think it over more before I decide.
Red: Yeah, that's probably for the best.
Red: Well, if you ever feel like it, come on by.
Red: Bye!
Goon: (Well, that was a surprise.)
Goon: (We've been in the same class this entire time, but I never really noticed her.)

???: Hehe. Hey, do you know Yukiko-chan?
Goon: Huh? Uh, I guess so.
Goon: (This guy is being way too friendly right now.)

???: She's way cute!
???: She's probably the cutest girl in this class by a mile.

The slang term this guy uses is "Bacchiguu", a portmanteau of Japanese "Bacchiri" (which means perfect) and English "Good". It was really popular in the '90s and has been dead for over a decade, so an English equivalent would be "radical" or "tubular"

???: So, tell me what you know about her. I want anything you have.
Goon: Well, I know her, but honestly, I've never really talked to her before.
???: Oh. What good are you, then?
Goon: (I can't stand this guy already.)

??? 2: Hmph. You're wasting your time.
??? 1: Hey, Shiratori. Are you setting your sights on Yukiko-chan too?

Shiratori: Set my sights? Please, spare me your rude babbling.
Shiratori: You don't chase girls. You make them chase you.
Shiratori: When you're as attractive as I am, it won't be any trouble at all.
Goon: Are you serious?

???: Geeeez, you haven't changed at all, Shiratori.
???: What's up, playboy?
Shiratori: Hmph. Stop stating the obvious.
Shiratori: You over there - who were you, again?
Goon: It's Fudou.
Shiratori: Well, whatever. It's not my habit to spend precious brainpower on remembering pointless things.
Shiratori: As I was about to say, you shouldn't even think about wasting your time on competing with me, Shiratori Masaki.
Shiratori: I'm on a completely different level than you are.

How are you expected to make friends with these guys? They appear to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Shiratori: Hahaha!

I wanna punch him more than I wanted to punch Akane's brother. Maybe it'll be worth doing a Red run just so I can punch him right in his smug face. But at least he leaves at this point. Man, at least Rei's taunting was fun to translate.

???: Well, Shiratori's always like that, but he's not actually a bad guy.
???: Once you get used to him, he's pretty funny.
Goon: Really.
Goon: (Seriously, what the hell was his deal?)
Yabe: By the way, the name's Yabe. Yabe Takuo.
Yabe: Pleased to meet you.
Goon: Uh, you too.
Yabe: Well, you know what they say. "No road is long with good company."
Yabe: Let's all get along.
Yabe: Anyway, see you later.
Goon: Yeah, sure.

Goon: (Shiratori Masaki and Yabe Takuo? Well, they certainly seem unique.)
Goon: (I feel exhausted for some reason. I should head home.)

Goon: Hey, you're the girl from this morning.

Serika: Oh? Did I do something wrong?
Goon: No, but you were on the hill behind school this morning, right?
Serika: I was. What about it?
Goon: I knew it. My name's Fudou Gunzou. What's your name?
Serika: Shinjo Serika.
Serika: Well? You stopped me here, so you had something you needed to say, right?
Goon: Oh. No, I forgot to ask your name this morning, so I figured I'd do it now.

Serika: Oh, is that all.
Goon: Yeah... that's all. Ha. Haha.
Serika: Then we're done here. I'm heading home.
Serika: Bye.
Goon: (Shinjo-san... it kind of feels like fate that we'd meet on the Legendary Hill on the first day of school.)
Goon: (Maybe I'm just making something out of nothing.)
Goon: (Well, whatever will be will be. I have to work hard, starting tomorrow!)

Or, it feels like someone manipulated the clock. But let's ignore that for now.

Next time: Way too much info on game systems.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm not sure I fully understand the significance of this hill yet, do you think you could explain it one more time?

quote:

Also oh my god this guy's hands.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

BlitzBlast posted:

An evolutionary advantage for shoveling greasy food into his mouth, apparently.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Uuuuughhh the art is so bad, holy poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with everyone's everything?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The cel shaded style works great for something that's supposed to be over-the-top cartoony like Jet Set Radio, but the results when the tone is slice of life is just :stonk:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Is it just me, or does Shiratori look like he's about to sit on a park bench and slowly undo his school uniform? :stonk:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand the significance of this hill yet, do you think you could explain it one more time?

Reminds me how some of the hands in mangas/anime are hilariously huge. They're apparently called "yaoi hands". :magical:

Here's an example:

Maybe Yabe is... oh god. :stonk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So that art is bad, meeting certain characters is pretty much up to fate and precise timing, and our friends are jerks. Good start.

Good start.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I just wanted to say: after seeing the game in action, I'm so, so sorry for voting for Orange/Hotaru. I vastly underestimated how terrible this game could be, and I am incredibly glad this thread voted for Serika instead.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

I just wanted to say: after seeing the game in action, I'm so, so sorry for voting for Orange/Hotaru. I vastly underestimated how terrible this game could be, and I am incredibly glad this thread voted for Serika instead.

We haven't even gotten to the game parts yet!

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Is it just me or the characters look kinda round and chubby? Well, whatever, the first impression is that the game feels kinda... uninspired... Like the writers got together and simply wrote "Oh, legendary something happily ever after, some girl from grade school, dorky friends etc." on a piece of napkin, y'know.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

We haven't even gotten to the game parts yet!

I know, I know! I saw the Steam, so I'm preemptively apologizing. (It's really bad, you guys)

Piano Maniac posted:

Is it just me or the characters look kinda round and chubby? Well, whatever, the first impression is that the game feels kinda... uninspired... Like the writers got together and simply wrote "Oh, legendary something happily ever after, some girl from grade school, dorky friends etc." on a piece of napkin, y'know.

Yeah, what I get is that the development cycle got so rushed, there were a lot of things that would have done well with a rewrite or two, but there wasn't enough time. Add that to the fact that they kept trying new stuff, like the 3d shaded graphics, or the "minute you start the game determines the girl you meet" thing, and it just gets worse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vibratingsheep posted:

Because there's no Designated Childhood Friend in Tokimeki Memorial 3, the girl you meet at the beginning of the game is based on your system clock. The moment you hit Accept on your character's name, the game runs a modulo 6 operation on the minutes of your system clock, and based on that, it decides who you meet at the beginning of the game. We need to aim for Remainder 5 to hit Gray. This sounds complicated, so it's easier just to show you how this works:[/i]
Ahahaha, using rand() is hard, guys. :downs:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sindai posted:

Ahahaha, using rand() is hard, guys. :downs:

Seems like a good a method as any for randomizing playthroughs while allowing a savvy player to manipulate it if they wish. I doubt this was the intent but it's there at any rate. Roll on the deluge of system mechanics info!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was beaten to the punch, but

was my immediate thought.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
There's just so much...brown.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
You say there's no designated childhood friend, but Goon and Red know each other from elementary and middle school. Were they planning on a childhood friend originally or what?

Canuck-Errant posted:

Is it just me, or does Shiratori look like he's about to sit on a park bench and slowly undo his school uniform? :stonk:

Is it time to start looking behind every emoticon you use, Canuck? I don't know that the nightmare fuel you provided for Sakura Wars can match the actual content of TM3.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

NullBlack posted:

You say there's no designated childhood friend, but Goon and Red know each other from elementary and middle school. Were they planning on a childhood friend originally or what?

"Knew each other" is a strong word, given that Yukiko follows the "She wears glasses and a ponytail, she can't possibly be worth noticing" archetype and the friendship is entirely one-sided until high school. Goon was vaguely aware of her existence, and that's pretty much where his side of the relationship ended.

inthesto posted:

The cel shaded style works great for something that's supposed to be over-the-top cartoony like Jet Set Radio, but the results when the tone is slice of life is just :stonk:

Three years later, The iDOLM@STER pretty much set the standard on how to use cel shading in the genre.

They've made a lot of money off of the series since, so they've kept refining the cel-shading process. The latest game looks like this:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, Chapter 2: Working the system

With the character introductions out of the way, it's time to try and ignore these chuckleheads as long as possible and get to work on the real goal.

Right away we see that they've made a ton of changes to the Tokimeki Memorial formula. For one thing, there are fewer stats, and instead of having a numerical value, they have RPG-style levels and experience bars. On top of that, there are fewer primary stats: there's just Lit, Science, Art, and Exercise. General Knowledge and Looks have been wrapped into other systems that we'll see later.

Stamina, Stress, and Guts are still numerical values for mechanical reasons, and in a fairly welcome move, club XP is now an explicit value instead of a hidden value. Since Goon hasn't joined a club yet, he's a member of the "go home after school" club for the moment.

There's a new option for "extracurricular activities" on the right, which is basically just the option to pick clubs. For now, since we're just exploring the new system, we'll ignore that (we're probably joining the Aikido club, though).

Most interestingly, Tokimemo 3 acknowledges the existence of the Internet, and the Hibikino Watcher of Tokimemo 2 has been replaced by a strange world known as the World Wide Web. We'll see more of this in a second.

A quick trip to the system menu reveals the single biggest change to the game: an inventory screen. Goon starts with an extensive collection of T-shirts, shorts, pants, shoes, and headgear, which are all used to take the place of his Looks stat based on how well-coordinated they are. This system is a source of a lot of grief, as some characters (cough cough Red) have impossibly strange requirements, wearing the same outfit for multiple dates causes the effectiveness of an outfit to decay, and the effectiveness of outfits also changes by season - and the only way to figure out what works or not is to read a guide or use good ol' trial and error.

The good thing is that Serika doesn't mind hanging out with someone wearing jeans and a black T-shirt, so this route isn't so bad compared to the infamous Tuxedos On The Beach characters.

Based on his extracurricular activities, Goon can also find, mail order, or make more items. The four categories of items, from left to right, are: Usable items, Equipment, Decorations, and Presents. Once Goon becomes a good cook, the need for sleep in this game approaches zero, so that'll be a nice perk eventually.

In the absence of a Yoshio or a Takumi (God, Takuo and Masaki feel even more useless now), you have to keep your own notes on girls, and fill out all of these notes one by one through conversations with the girl. That part's fine.

The bigger problem is that there is no way to ask girls out on dates at first. In order to get started, you know, actually playing the game, you have to sit around and stalk them after school until either they or their best friend tell you how to contact them. It's pretty obnoxious, to be honest.

Takuo and Masaki's profiles are included just to show how obnoxious they are, by design.

Enough of that! Let's browse the web!

Oh man, the Geocities/Netscape Navigator era. This is the bookmarks page, which can and will expand based on Goon's hobbies. Right now, the only pages bookmarked are the Moegino Watcher and the weather report.

Going to the weather report brings up the calendar, which shows all of the standard Tokimemo things. Making a return from Tokimemo 1 is the biorhythm calendar, which shows you which activities are more likely to succeed or fail on a given week. There's a new level of success, the double-circle, which awards massive XP boosts compared to the regular old success, so you're rewarded handsomely for committing to activities when that particular biorhythm is high.

The red line affects the success rate of exercising and sports clubs.
The yellow line affects the success rate of art and arts clubs.
And the hard-to-read green line (seriously, a green line on a green grid with a green background? Whose idea was that?) refers to lit, science, and the academic clubs.

This is the Moegino Watcher home page, which is proudly showing off the most exciting parts of Moegino. There's a spread dedicated to the cherry blossoms in full bloom at Hilltop Park, another one advertising a flea market at Moegino Shrine, a quick banner ad for a local ranch that offers animal rides, and two more ads for going clamming at the local beach and some sort of penguin movie.

No, I'm not going to translate each and every one of these, unlike Tokimemo 1 and 2.

The daily representation of how well/poorly you're doing hasn't changed. The smaller 3D models look way better than the bigger ones.

Strangely, the game show buzzer for failed days has been replaced by a splatting sound that reminds me of sitting on a whoopee cushion full of pie filling. In other words, a really wet fart.

Weekends have changed significantly, too. Instead of having the same activities as weekdays, but adding in the ability to call someone or save, Tokimemo 3 lets you fill your weekends by preparing for lit or science class (which raises the success rate of that activity the next time you do it and allows for extra-effective successes), calling someone, or most interestingly, indulging in a hobby. We'll dig in in a second.

You start the game with phone numbers for Yukiko, Takuo, and Masaki. However, calling Takuo and Masaki is pretty much pointless, and that makes Yukiko your primary source of information.

Yukiko: Hello, this is the Makihara residence.
Goon: Hey, Makihara-san, it's Fudou.
Yukiko: Oh? This is a surprise, what's up?

Tokimemo 3 improvement #3: you can actually see the line that you're responding to.

Option 1: Invite her out on a date
Option 2: Ask her about other girls

As time goes on, asking Yukiko for this information becomes more and more dangerous. Plus, she's pretty drat useless on the Serika route. Observe:

Goon: I'd like you to tell me what the other girls think of me.
Yukiko: Uh, sorry, but I don't really have anything to tell you right now.
Yukiko: Sorry.
Goon: No, don't worry about it. Thanks anyway.
Yukiko: Okay. Bye.

Tokimemo 3 improvement #4: calling someone doesn't take an entire day. In other news, we'll have to make friends with Purple/Emi in order to get any meaningful info about Serika. For posterity, let's just call Takuo.

Goon: Hey, Yabe? It's me, Fudou.
Takuo: Oh, it's you. What're you calling for?
Goon: I didn't really call for anything in particular.
Takuo: Oh? Well, whatever, I wasn't doing anything.
Takuo: Hey, did you catch the show last night on TV?
(time passes)
Takuo: Whoa, look at the time. This turned into a long call out of nowhere.
Takuo: Later.
Goon: (It feels like he spent more time talking at me than anything else...)

And with that, the day ends. Urgh. That was a waste of time.

Let's show off what happens when you perform an activity long enough to level up. In this case, it's Exercise.[/i]

Goon: Whew, the morning breeze feels great after a run.

Emi: Good morning.
Goon: Huh? Oh, uh, good morning.
Emi: Oh, excuse me, I should go.
Goon: Oh, okay.
Goon: (Who was that girl?)
Goon: (Well, it's definitely refreshing to talk to someone so early in the morning.)

Leveling up is how you gain the notice of girls in this game, plus how you unlock various story events depending on the stat and the girl. Since we have to talk to both Emi and Serika this game, it's going to be Exercise and sports the whole way. And, about once a week, we can try to leverage that progress in the most annoying way possible.

Goon: (Going home alone is boring, so maybe I'll invite someone to walk home with me.)
Option 1: Makihara-san
Option 2: Shinjo-san
Option 3: Don't wait around

Goon: (I'll wait for Shinjo-san to show up.)
Goon: (Ah, there she is.)
Goon: Shinjo-san!

Serika: ...You want something?

When she works her wrist like that, it really feels like she's about to slug someone.

Serika: Say, you look like you've been working out lately.
Serika: Well, it's none of my business, but I think it's nice.
Goon: Hey, thanks for noticing. Do you want to walk home with me?

Serika: I don't have time for that. I have something I need to do.
Serika: Bye.
Goon: (...I wonder if I caught her in a bad mood?)

We have about a half dozen more of these scenes to go before we see any actual progress. Hurray...? And yes, we literally have to wait around at the lockers and hope for people to show up in order to make progress in the game.

This is the Hobby menu, which takes a long time to dig into. Basically, this affects what you can talk about after dates with girls, and takes the place of the General Knowledge stat. Knowing and sharing a girl's interests is very important to the follow-up date portion of the game, where you sit somewhere quiet and chatter about various topics. This also will unlock new web pages, new items, and sometimes, new date spots and activities.

The categories on the left are:

Gardening
Fishing
Crafts
Lit
Arts
Science
Games
Excavation
Strolling
Model kits
Pets
Listening to music
Web surfing

There are 112 possible topics to talk about, and just our luck, Serika only enjoys talking about 10 of them, and one of them requires a 300+ Stamina stat to do.

Well, we're just gonna get straight to it, then.

The first step is to pick up a crafts catalog. For some reason, this takes an entire day.

On the plus side, this unlocks the conversation topic "general crafts," which Serika will eventually like, once she will give Goon the time of day.

We take another day to buy crafting supplies, because who knows, maybe we'll end up having to knit our own date clothes or something. I'm not putting anything past this game.

By the way. Waiting around for someone to head home so you can talk to them has a decently high failure rate. Hurray!
Goon: No one's coming. Oh well, guess I should just head home alone.

Moving on to the Web Surfing activity. Each time you choose the Web Surfing activity, you find a new web page.

This is, by the way, how you're supposed to meet Orange?/Hotaru. You need to find her web page and start talking to her via e-mail.

As you can see, web surfing has added a new bookmark to Goon's hideous home page. I'm going to fast-forward a little bit here and show you the pitfalls of this.

Pitfall #1: you can find dead pages. It's great. Nice to know that you waste an entire Sunday investigating a 404.

Pitfall #2: Takuo's home page/blog.

The increasingly rare cigar-shaped UFO has appeared over Moegino City! I grabbed my camera in time to get conclusive evidence!
*I didn't just catch it by accident because I was taking pictures while peeping on someone.

We're supposed to be FRIENDS with this guy?

Here, this is what happens when you level up in Lit. Green wanders by.
Goon: Huh?
Option 1: Yes, of course you can. (in English)
Option 2: I, uh, I'm a Nihonjin! (in really exaggerated, affected Japanese)
Option 3: Sorry, I don't have time right now. (in Japanese)

Goon: Yes, of course you can.

Okay, Chitose, you lost me right here.
Option 1: Yes, I have. (in English)
Option 2: No, I haven't. (in English)

Goon: Yes, I have.
Chitose: Oh? Is that so?
Chitose: I heard your English scores are really good, so I wanted to talk to you and see for myself.
Chitose: Okay, later.
Goon: Huh? Oh, later.
Goon: (What just happened?)

Chitose speaks in Kansai-ben, which is spoken in the area around Osaka, and translated in all sorts of ways in English - sometimes as a Southern accent, or something else recognizable as an American dialect.

The First Labor of Vibratingsheep: The Nemean Mini-game

Instead of Goon telling you it's the sports festival, the game says it and skips straight to the mini-game choices.

Goon: Alright, time to try my best to win the trophy!
Goon: What event should I enter?
Option 1: The 100-meter dash
Option 2: The three-legged race
Option 3: The tug-of-war
Option 4: Play hooky

By the stream's request, I joined the three-legged race, since that's usually good for some laughs.

Masaki: Hmph. It appears as though we've been partnered up.
Masaki: Make sure you don't hold me back.

I should've known.

Just like in Tokimemo 2, the three-legged race is a rhythmic pressing of L1 and R1.

Unlike in Tokimemo 2, someone at Konami was really goddamn eager to take advantage of the Dualshock 2's fancy-schmancy analog buttons and triggers. Remember when games tried to care about how hard or softly you pressed a face button back at the launch of the PS2? Remember how quickly that trend died because people aren't robots who can regulate the pressure of their thumbs on a button that's raised maybe about half a centimeter if it's excited?

Anyway, the harder you press the trigger, the more you accelerate, and the softer you press the trigger, the more slowly you accelerate.

Because Masaki is awful, pressing the trigger down all the way down (also known as "pressing the trigger" on a Dualshock 2, it wasn't until the Dualshock 3 that they realized that analog triggers needed to be much larger to be usable) caused the two of us to fall over every step.

This went on for just over a minute before the game decided that it was time to pull the plug. 74 seconds of falling over.

Yukiko: ...That was unfortunate.
Goon: Sorry...
Goon: (This sucks.)

You know what? Screw this game.

YKWSTG count: 1

After that awful experience, I rummaged through my Japanese PS2 game collection to find something that would make me happy.

Ahhh yeah, that's the stuff.

Okay, I'm good to go again.

Next time: Playing the game for real.

Oh, and for reference, I went back to Tokimemo 3 afterward and tried the 3-legged race mini-game in the extras section, this time with Serika as my partner.

It's an easy mini-game when pressing the button actually benefits you instead of making you fall down!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 8, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So we have a fat pervert and a self-absorbed wimp as our "friends" in this game? Oh boy.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

NullBlack posted:

Is it time to start looking behind every emoticon you use, Canuck? I don't know that the nightmare fuel you provided for Sakura Wars can match the actual content of TM3.

You're assuming there's enough Tokimemo 3 content online for me to hide behind emoticons.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You use homing shot without flame shot in Gunstar Heroes? Wuss. :colbert:

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
Is it me or does blondie's face look way too small for his head?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Hey guys, remember everything you loved about the previous games? Charm, polish, replayability, likable characters, who needs them? Look at theses sweet cel shaded models we made *stares at you with blank souless eyes that match its hair* :stonk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you like good game design?

WHAT TIME IS IT?

YOU SPENT ALL DAY LOOKING AT A 404 PAGE.

CAN'T ASK GIRLS OUT ON DATES IN A DATING SIM.

ANALOG BUTTONS.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

YOU SPENT ALL DAY LOOKING AT A 404 PAGE.
They fixed a single phone call taking up all day, but replace it with this. It's kind of beautiful in its sheer dumbfounding-ness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Yeah barely into 3 and already I can see why its such a disapointment. It seems like there where several good decisions made around the edges of the game but that the actual substance of it was neglected. Maybe it improves later on?

• Locked thread