Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always get fruit cravings when I play.

As long as you are not eating nasty veggies... pffft... Vegetarians :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I'm not usually the type to slobber over video game graphics, but Pikmin 3 is loving gorgeous. The art department really knocked it out of the park on that one.

I agree. The only thing that sours it just a little bit for me is the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to know about anti-aliasing.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is the Nintendo refurb deal for $200 still the best deal out there?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Von Linus posted:

That was totally not clear to me. Is it any good?
Bowling and tennis are pretty much the same as the Wii Sports versions except with slightly better graphics and online play. Both are fun to mess around with if you have people over. Golf is probably my favorite out of the 3 that have been released so far(bowling 2nd, tennis 3rd), using the gamepad to display the ball/terrain is pretty awesome. I was on the fence about them before buying but the free trials made it easy to decide, it'd be a good idea to wait until the next free trial so you can see if you like them enough to spend money on them. I think you might automatically get a free 24 hour trial after first downloading them but I'm not 100% sure.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah that's the best deal currently.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

If you would buy an extra Wii Remote Plus, a wheel, and MK8, you might as well get the instant satisfaction of getting the bundle. If you don't want the wheel, it really comes down to if you want to wait a week or so for the free shipping Nintendo has. If you'd go expedited shipping I'd just get the MK8 bundle locally.

Nintendo Land is dirt cheap used, so you don't have to worry about that.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

deadwing posted:

If you would buy an extra Wii Remote Plus, a wheel, and MK8, you might as well get the instant satisfaction of getting the bundle. If you don't want the wheel, it really comes down to if you want to wait a week or so for the free shipping Nintendo has. If you'd go expedited shipping I'd just get the MK8 bundle locally.

Will my old Wii Remote Pluses work?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yep. All your old Wii controller things will work fine. Even your non-pluses if you happen to still have them.

Pro Tip: Do you happen to have extra non-plus Wii Remotes but don't wanna bother with trading them in for like $0.50 or whatever the going rate is? Grab some Wii Zapper shells (which I'm sure you can find dirt cheap as well) and make those remotes dedicated Wii Light Guns (tm) for maximum fun with your copy of Ghost Squad or House of the Dead: Overkill or whatever!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yes, any Wii bits you have will work with the Wuu.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

What you've neglected to mention is that you're liable to die of natural causes before you complete a multiplayer game of Dokapon Kingdom.
This is very true. I dont think I have ever finished a multiplayer game of dokapon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr.Trifecta posted:

This is very true. I dont think I have ever finished a multiplayer game of dokapon.

I tried to finish a game of Dokapon Kingdom once.

There were no survivors.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I tried to finish a game of Dokapon Kingdom once.

There were no survivors.

My flatmates and I finished the story mode. It was an epic journey. Friend were lost, enemies were made, and tears were shed. Eventually, we put aside our differences so that we could slay the final boss. It took two weeks.

We didn't touch the game after that.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Finally got my Wii U refurb in today. I guess I got lucky in that there are no noticeable cosmetic blemishes or anything it! Very nice.

But I'm confused how to register it with Club Nintendo. I linked my Nintendo Network ID and it seems to have automatically hooked me up with my Club Nintendo Account. Yet I see no proof of it on the club Nintendo site. Is it just being slow or is there something else to do?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

Finally got my Wii U refurb in today. I guess I got lucky in that there are no noticeable cosmetic blemishes or anything it! Very nice.

But I'm confused how to register it with Club Nintendo. I linked my Nintendo Network ID and it seems to have automatically hooked me up with my Club Nintendo Account. Yet I see no proof of it on the club Nintendo site. Is it just being slow or is there something else to do?

How long did it take?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

To break down the cost, if you are willing to spend money on refurb stuff vs. MSRP if you walked into a local Gamestop or Best Buy. For the exact same items except for the red Wii Wheel

Nintendo Store
+$200 - Refurb Wii U w/ Nintendo Land
+$20 - Refurb Wiimote Plus w/ Nunchuck
+$60 - MK8
=$280

MSRP
$330 - Wii U w/ Mario Kart 8
$20 - Nunchuck
$30 - Nintendo Land
=$380

You could get the Nunchuck for $7 and Nintendo Land for $23 saving you $20 at the most buying retail making it an $80 price savings. You could also get a Wii Wheel for $6 on Amazon.

So in the end, for the exact same stuff refurbed, you can save between $74-$100 depending on how frugal you are.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm really enjoying 3D World. I wasn't totally sold on it at first, especially compared to something like Mario Galaxy, but world 5 kicked it into gear. There were so many good levels and the introduction of the coin train was a truly beautiful moment.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Apparently the Fils-a-Mech has become sentient, because I just got a notification from it. It says I can use a Mii version of him, but I'm not seeing any sort of download anywhere, and it didn't appear to be in my Mii Maker...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Apparently the Fils-a-Mech has become sentient, because I just got a notification from it. It says I can use a Mii version of him, but I'm not seeing any sort of download anywhere, and it didn't appear to be in my Mii Maker...

you have the Wii-U screen(not the quickstart menu) appear on the pad and you select reggie and it should give you a clarification notice asking if you want to add the mii.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MaxDuo posted:

I also got a mint refurbished Wii U. I even splurged on the overnight shipping and they got it here in about 18 hours. In total with tax, that was $230. It didn't come with a charging cradle, so I picked that up with Mario Kart 8 for $70. Brings my total up to $300, which is $50 less than the bundle with tax... but I don't get a wiimote and wheel. Of course, I didn't realize that the wiimote has a ton of functionality on the Wii U, so I'll likely be buying one of those for around $30, bumping my total up to $330.

I guess in the end, the price difference was kind of negligible -- I could've paid $20 more to get a bonafide brand new Wii U that couldn't possibly have been previously owned by the world's most disgusting baby or something like that. Of course, if I had opted for the free shipping, that would've been $17 more in savings.

Oh! About redeeming it on Club Nintendo, it showed up automatically when I next logged in, after having linked the console to my Nintendo ID and all of that. I'm pretty sure it showed up the same day. They do claim that refurbished consoles aren't eligible for Club Nintendo coins, but it worked for me. YMMV, maybe?

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 5, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a way to tell which levels in DKC: Tropical Freeze have secret exits, and which don't?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I got Pikmin 3 from the MK8 deal and I'm really loving it. At first it was jarring to see it running (at what I assume is) at 30fps, since nintendos titles seem to target 60, but now that I'm getting 100+ pikmin on screen with no slow down it makes sense.
This is also the first game to really sell me on the tablet. I kinda feel bad I didn't give nintendo money's for this game. Wait maybe this makes up for the last update taking over an hour to download, so we'r even.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can make up for it by buying the DLC, I guess.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

I got Pikmin 3 from the MK8 deal and I'm really loving it. At first it was jarring to see it running (at what I assume is) at 30fps, since nintendos titles seem to target 60, but now that I'm getting 100+ pikmin on screen with no slow down it makes sense.
This is also the first game to really sell me on the tablet. I kinda feel bad I didn't give nintendo money's for this game. Wait maybe this makes up for the last update taking over an hour to download, so we'r even.

I got Pikmin 3 too and I'm enjoying it much more than Mario Kart. Apparently they just patched in the tablet controls a few days ago which is really strange for them to update a game after it's been out for so long. I think the tablet control is pretty decent but it's decidedly built for a right handed person because I have to hold the stylus in my left hand while wrapping my right hand around to hit the left trigger buttons which is really awkward.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Austrian mook posted:

Is there a way to tell which levels in DKC: Tropical Freeze have secret exits, and which don't?
I forget but I think if it looks like there is another path then there is a secret exit.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

How long did it take?

It ended up showing in my club nintendo about an hour later... so it took around 2.5-3 hours. I knew Club Nintendo was going slow a few days ago for the MK8 stuff, and didn't know if that was still going on or what.

enojy posted:

Oh! About redeeming it on Club Nintendo, it showed up automatically when I next logged in, after having linked the console to my Nintendo ID and all of that. I'm pretty sure it showed up the same day. They do claim that refurbished consoles aren't eligible for Club Nintendo coins, but it worked for me. YMMV, maybe?

Yeah I was worried that maybe they were trying to fix that coin thing, and accidentally made new systems just not show up from some dumb mistake. I've not yet seen anyone who didn't get the 160 coins for their refurbished unit as well.

Also starting out with the Wii U like this is really great. I went with the Best Buy deal for MK8 because I'd rather just get $10 of gas now rather than get 3 games that will take me a while to play (work, various events to go to, 3DS games, PC games, Wii U, reading... no need for so many game purchases right now) by using the TRU deal of 40% off or whatever it was for another game. But still I get Nintendo Land, Mario Kart 8, NSMBU (from the free deal, I'm a soulless monster and just don't care a ton for Pikmin), and have 400 coins expiring on Club Nintendo so I also got Super Metroid through their current offering. Hopefully next month also has a good game to spend the coins on.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 5, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

irlZaphod posted:

I forget but I think if it looks like there is another path then there is a secret exit.

Also you'll most likely need Dixie to get to the exit

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I should be coming home to a WiiU tomorrow, woo. I want to play Mario Kart ASAP but do I need to do the system transfer from my Wii beforehand?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dugong posted:

So I should be coming home to a WiiU tomorrow, woo. I want to play Mario Kart ASAP but do I need to do the system transfer from my Wii beforehand?

Need? No.

Is it worth it? Yes. For the animation alone, it is worth it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOE just confirmed a retail release for Wii Sports Club, it'll be out July 11. No price listed. (JP version is about 3500-4000yen, I think.)

They also mentioned that Baseball and Boxing will finally be released on June 27, as a 9.99EUR / 8.99GBP double-pack; they'll also be doing another free 48-hour trial period that weekend, so you can try all the sports for free.

Baseball plays as it was shown in the old E3 tech demo, using the Gamepad for pitching/catching. Boxing is confirmed to allow for a Wiimote+ in each hand, too.

NOA just announced they'll be releasing Wii Sports Club at retail, too. July 25, $39.99. (The digital Baseball/Boxing double-pack will be up on June 26.)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Need? No.

Is it worth it? Yes. For the animation alone, it is worth it.

So I won't lose save data then? I need some Tick Tock time.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

The Taint Reaper posted:

you have the Wii-U screen(not the quickstart menu) appear on the pad and you select reggie and it should give you a clarification notice asking if you want to add the mii.

The menu or the plaza? 'Cause I don't see him anywhere.

I must race Filsamech in the MK8 goonvitational.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NOA just announced they'll be releasing Wii Sports Club at retail, too. July 25, $39.99. (The digital Baseball/Boxing double-pack will be up on June 26.)

That's cool that they're using the gamepad that way for golf. I remember when they first announced the Wii U thinking that would be a really cool use for it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Dugong posted:

So I won't lose save data then? I need some Tick Tock time.

The only save data you should ever lose from a transfer would be save data already present on the virtual Wii on your Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PantsBandit posted:

That's cool that they're using the gamepad that way for golf. I remember when they first announced the Wii U thinking that would be a really cool use for it.

You can go try it out right now if you like, Tennis/Bowling/Golf have been available digitally for a while now.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

A game from Nintendo in July? Has hell frozen over? At that price point its like getting one of the games for free too so its a better value physically. Of course that's if the Baseball/Boxing costs more than $10.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think it does.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Physical disks are better anyway and the cases look awesome on a shelf, so the choice is obvious :colbert:

Would need to buy 4 wii mote pluses though...

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
Can anyone tell me what I would miss out on by buying a WiiU from a different region to my 3DS?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

This is pretty great. I was considering buying Bowling and Tennis (not a fan of golf) but I might as well get the disc at this point if it means getting all four and not dealing with digital storage issues.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

They should've released this on day one. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

They should've released this on day one. Oh well.

Betcha Nintendo announce at E3 that it'll be a pack-in game going forward. Or at least a standing bundle version.

• Locked thread