Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Red posted:

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

In relation to toys, they're still pretty cheap but $4 for a 20 page story is a lot of loving money when you get down to it.

It doesn't help that the big three characters' main books of one major company are just a few steps down from Invincible level violence and the main team up book of the other major company is nearly indecipherable for an adult reading just one issue, let alone a kid.

And lets not forget that the author of the current 2 major X books also wrote the following page:

Say what you will about artist interpretations and the scripts they're given, whether he meant to go that far or not, it's his name on the cover.

That's not to say there aren't any good books from either company and it's not to say there aren't all ages books available from any company but when this is what you're putting forth in your marquee books, you can't put too much blame on a comic shop that puts age limits on people in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Back when MC2 Spider-Girl and Marvel Adventures was still being published, I remember Marvel reps saying that those books largely survived off of digest collection sales, which are much cheaper than the traditional TPB. I think Spider-Girl might've even been involved in those book ordering programs that schools use. But I just don't think there's really a large kid friendly chunk of books. Even the comics that don't have a ton of violence might bring up other themes parents could be uncomfortable with such as sex or drug use.

There's a way to market to kids, but I don't think most LCS shops have enough young people as customers that it really needs to be addressed. But if you get those trade collections into places where kids will be, like at bookstores with coffee shops and even school libraries, that's probably better than lobbying for LCS owners to have a kids section.

Maybe Marvel should release the Ms. Marvel series in digests or something.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Seriously, I kinda take it for granted being a 19-year-old but my friendly neighborhood comics shop had Saga right next to a Transformers comic in the indie section.
This is totally off-topic but the recent, mainline TF stuff is not for kids at all either. Some of it still is, but a great deal of it is about politics, survivor's guilt and PTSD coupled with scenes of torture, organ harvesting, lobotomies, body mutilation as a political motivated punishment and various other bits of nightmare fuel.

I haven't read Saga but I imagine it isn't too far from it in terms of maturity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

This is why I have 10,000 back issues priced at $1 each.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spiderdrake posted:

This is totally off-topic but the recent, mainline TF stuff is not for kids at all either. Some of it still is, but a great deal of it is about politics, survivor's guilt and PTSD coupled with scenes of torture, organ harvesting, lobotomies, body mutilation as a political motivated punishment and various other bits of nightmare fuel.

I haven't read Saga but I imagine it isn't too far from it in terms of maturity.

Saga also has a decent amount of cursing, nudity, and fairly explicit sex scenes.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Whelp, just caught up on amazing x-men, dived in quality immediately after #5 didn't it now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Whelp, just caught up on amazing x-men, dived in quality immediately after #5 didn't it now?

You did not like 6?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It should pick up once Yost/Kyle are on it.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

anticake posted:

My LCBS has a sign that says unaccompanied children under 16 are flat out not welcome in the shop. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

I'm willing to bet this has more to do with unattended children and parents dropping kids off at the ol LCBS in lieu of daycare than content found in the books. Dude that runs my local shop is a patient man but I've seen kids get dropped off while mom shops, you know when it's time to go those kids ain't buying nothing and in the meanwhile there was a bit too much sprinting up and down the aisles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had parents drop their kid in our store and he wandered off and they found him in a Wal-Mart hours later. And once a kid left alone and he wiped out and cracked his head on the tile.

I'd love to put a "no unsupervised children" sign up but we get so many kids in on their own and they spend every penny they have in their pockets. It's so stressful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A manager of mine once called the mall security to come get a kid that had been in the store for nearly 6 hours. Apparently the mom dropped him off in the store and told him not to go anywhere while she went shopping. Reality, she went to the bar across the street.

That poo poo was sad.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rhyno posted:

We had parents drop their kid in our store and he wandered off and they found him in a Wal-Mart hours later. And once a kid left alone and he wiped out and cracked his head on the tile.

I'd love to put a "no unsupervised children" sign up but we get so many kids in on their own and they spend every penny they have in their pockets. It's so stressful.

Get a cardboard stand-up of Thor or Batman or something, and tape a little word bubble to his head that says: "Attention Parents: We are not babysitters."

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So Uncanny X-Men, worth the read or not? (The new one of course). I'm fairly weary because it is Bendis and I dropped ANXM due to his antics.

Been reading Amazing X-Men though and am excited for Yost to be on it. Aside from Wood's reputation (Just) X-Men has been pretty average. Mostly though I just want more Cyclops and I know we are getting some youngclops I want to know if oldclops stuff in Uncanny is worth reading.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Cerepol posted:

So Uncanny X-Men, worth the read or not? (The new one of course). I'm fairly weary because it is Bendis and I dropped ANXM due to his antics.

Been reading Amazing X-Men though and am excited for Yost to be on it. Aside from Wood's reputation (Just) X-Men has been pretty average. Mostly though I just want more Cyclops and I know we are getting some youngclops I want to know if oldclops stuff in Uncanny is worth reading.

Uncanny X-Men is way more Bendis-y than All New X-Men. So if you dropped that one due to Bendis...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Transformers has robots fighting each other. Saga has graphic anal sex and child prostitution. I'd say they're kind of on a different level.

e: like, I love Saga and it's one of the best things to happen to the medium in years, but it's basically the literal last thing I would want to see a child picking up if I were a comic shop owner. Like, the only things I can think of that would come close in that regard are Punisher MAX, Berserk, and Lost Girls.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

There's also Sex Criminals which is pretty good.

Anyways aside from transformers and lost girls of which I don't have an idea. I'm pretty sure the rest have warnings about maturity.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Bringing the topic back to X-Men...

Are the First Class comics good? There are quite a bunch of them... They're all-ages, right? I really wish Marvel kept making digest-sized stuff. More often than not, those are the comics I want to read, with little reliance on continuity and the worst excesses of mainline comics.

(I mean, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man had a really neat reinterpretation of Emma Frost which managed to eliminate the baggage associated with her, but that's another topic)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rucka is doing such a great job writing Young Cyclops. It is refreshing to see him written as a unique character rather than using BendisSpeak.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
If you like X-Men t-shirts, https://www.riptapparel.com/ has a neat one for a few more hours.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Really enjoyed this issue of ANX-Factor, PAD is starting to get into the swing of things while keeping the scale just right. I like Gambit's cats more than I should.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Transformers has robots fighting each other. Saga has graphic anal sex and child prostitution. I'd say they're kind of on a different level.
Dang, I had no idea it was quite that far.

Also I don't think robots torturing each other by chainsawing off each other's limbs is precisely under the domain of "robots fighting each other", but I concede Saga is much further than I thought it was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is Amazing back on track or should I give Yost a few issues to get on track?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Amazing back on track or should I give Yost a few issues to get on track?

I really enjoyed the current issue. So glad kyle & yost are on an x book again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I kinda hope they didn't just kill off Heather Hudson again, although come to think of it, this arc seems to be ignoring the ending of the Pak/Van Lente Alpha Flight.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Schneider Heim posted:

Bringing the topic back to X-Men...

Are the First Class comics good? There are quite a bunch of them... They're all-ages, right? I really wish Marvel kept making digest-sized stuff. More often than not, those are the comics I want to read, with little reliance on continuity and the worst excesses of mainline comics.

(I mean, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man had a really neat reinterpretation of Emma Frost which managed to eliminate the baggage associated with her, but that's another topic)

First Class is pretty good because Jeff Parker's a good writer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

If you like X-Men t-shirts, https://www.riptapparel.com/ has a neat one for a few more hours.

Cool. Just what I needed. More t-shirts.

(Ordered.)

radlum
May 13, 2013
Where has Colossus been? Last I saw him he wanted to be left alone after the whole Phoenix Five fiasco; when did he joined Wolverine's school?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

Where has Colossus been? Last I saw him he wanted to be left alone after the whole Phoenix Five fiasco; when did he joined Wolverine's school?

Well he was rolling with Cable & X-Force, then that book got canceled and I guess he just decided to quit and go back to school.

...Of course that still would have left him a wanted man for busting out of a prison. I guess nobody from SHIELD or any other law enforcement agency ever bothered trying to recapture him.

e: I'm pretty sure this is his first appearance post-X-Force so I'll be curious to see if anybody acknowledges that his powers are still supposed to be hosed up and have him use his little power amplifier belt or if they'll just forget that whole thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Well he was rolling with Cable & X-Force, then that book got canceled and I guess he just decided to quit and go back to school.

...Of course that still would have left him a wanted man for busting out of a prison. I guess nobody from SHIELD or any other law enforcement agency ever bothered trying to recapture him.

e: I'm pretty sure this is his first appearance post-X-Force so I'll be curious to see if anybody acknowledges that his powers are still supposed to be hosed up and have him use his little power amplifier belt or if they'll just forget that whole thing.

Guess they kinda forgot about that "being wanted" part since Magik and Emma Frost are both in Original Sin assisting the other characters in that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Guess they kinda forgot about that "being wanted" part since Magik and Emma Frost are both in Original Sin assisting the other characters in that.

They could just be putting that aside as the Watcher being dead is seen as a Big Deal and rises above petty mutant squabbles.

And honestly, it seems like really the only mutant anybody really wants these days is Cyclops, really.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rirse posted:

Lang kinda jokes about finding out where Scott's team stays and Emma shuts that idea down right quick.

And the rest of the heroes pretty much have other poo poo to deal with than to worry about bringing them in. Maria Hill is really the only one who is actively trying.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I could also see them bringing in Magik simply on the basis of her being one of the only bulk teleporters in the Marvel Universe, since they needed to quickly evacuate a skyscraper in midtown New York.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Rucka is doing such a great job writing Young Cyclops. It is refreshing to see him written as a unique character rather than using BendisSpeak.

Every time I see Rucka publish a book, I get a little sad he's not busy doing more Lazarus. :smith:

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Shockeh posted:

Every time I see Rucka publish a book, I get a little sad he's not busy doing more Lazarus. :smith:

? Lazarus is still going on. Lark can only draw so many pages a month. Rucka writing more Lazarus wouldn't put it out faster.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

d00gZ posted:

? Lazarus is still going on. Lark can only draw so many pages a month. Rucka writing more Lazarus wouldn't put it out faster.

I fail to see what your reasonable argument has to do with my entitlement-caused impatience. :colbert:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Holy poo poo, Comixology sale!

X-Men: Age of X
X-Men: Fatal Attractions - Book One
X-Men: Fatal Attractions - Book Two
X-Men: Inferno
X-Men: Mutant Massacre
X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song
X-Men: X-tinction Agenda
X-Necrosha

What are the good picks? I hear that Age of X is great and has some stuff about Legion (loved Legacy), but I'm not familiar with the 80s/90s collections. Necrosha is bad, right?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Age of X was surprisingly good for what it was, and it's pretty small and self-contained, too; Fatal Attractions was baaaaaaaaaad, Inferno was good but is probably dated as hell now - it's very, very Claremont; Mutant Massacre, ditto (though if you haven't read it it's an event that still has a lot of narrative weight in the X-books and it's being referenced in the current Magneto series); X-Cutioner's Song is to be avoided at all cost; X-Tinction Agenda is pretty much Peak Nineties X-Books and isn't very good, IMHO; X-Necrosha was grimdark to the extreeeeeme and suffered from some of the most overwrought 'gloomy, atmospheric coloring' I've seen in ages, though there was a bit in one of the tie-in books where a team ends up in the future and meets future Deadpool that was surprisingly fun.

So, yeah. Age of X is the one 'must-read' in that pile, for my money, followed by Mutant Massacre and Inferno.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Don't listen to that dude, X-Cutioner's song is dope as heck. And yeah, Mutant Massacre and Inferno are good too.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-Cutioner's Song is terrible and you shouldn't read it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I read it for the first time recently and it's not too bad. It's very 90s in a lot of ways, but the story is pretty good.

I do kinda like X-tinction Agenda too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I really enjoyed Age of X and it's art for being an almost-AU story. Shame it had next-to zero consequences. Some of the things they did with the characters were quite interesting takes I thought like "Basilisk" and the Age of X Avengers.

• Locked thread