Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A fun race from earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clBH7b50_CA

I had another really good one with a great green shell shot at the end but it wouldn't give me that highlight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just a question what game prior to Mario Kart 8 actually gave luigi character? Because that new Super Luigi U was just a basic platformer with no actual events differentiating luigi from Mario.

Perhaps Paper Mario? Luigi is second fiddle, stays at home, keeps a diary, is afraid of ghosts and is jealous of Mario having adventures a bit

Even Bowser's goofyness can probably be drawn back from there (edit: but Mario RPG too, of course)

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 5, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The Superstar Saga games give Luigi a ton of characterization.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just a question what game prior to Mario Kart 8 actually gave luigi character? Because that new Super Luigi U was just a basic platformer with no actual events differentiating luigi from Mario.

Luigi's Mansion and the Paper Mario/Mario RPG games are pretty much it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Luigi's mansion, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario...

His characterization is basically that he's Mario's loser brother that everyone forgets about. There's a running gag in the M&L game that only like, Peach and Toadsworth actually call them Mario and Luigi, everyone else is like 'Mario and 'Green Stache' 'Mario and that Other Guy' 'Mario and Friend'

I think Luigi's actual name is said maybe a dozen times throughout the entire series.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

pichupal posted:

Perhaps Paper Mario? Luigi is second fiddle, stays at home, keeps a diary, is afraid of ghosts and is jealous of Mario having adventures a bit

Even Bowser's goofyness can probably be drawn back from there.

So just Luigi's Manion, and the N64 and the GC Paper marios?

It's just I never understood where this cult of Luigi came from since they've mostly been pallet swaps of each other for the majority of the time.

Which one of the Mario and Luigi games are worth getting since I've heard two are ok but two are not that great, but apparently none compare to TTYD.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's just I never understood where this cult of Luigi came from since they've mostly been pallet swaps of each other for the majority of the time.

They haven't really been pallet swaps of one another for years. Even in Smash Bros, Luigi has a very unique fighting style. Anybody who has played any of the Nintendo games where anybody is characterized at all (including Mario) that Luigi was in, he probably was unique in some way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are the good Mario&Luigi games.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

People like underdogs. Mario doesn't really have a personality because he's almost always the player character. With Luigi they can just make him look like a doofus and have him flail his arms around as an attack in Smash Bros.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Rocketlex posted:

This is only half correct. When people leave the room, the game is supposed to pull in more people to fill the slot. I've seen people leave during voting before, and more Miis run in to take their place. The disconnect seems to be an error in pulling people in, possibly representing a legit disconnect from the server.

Since I literally do work for Nintendo, I'll try to bring this up tomorrow morning and see if they're working on a fix for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dresh posted:

Since I literally do work for Nintendo, I'll try to bring this up tomorrow morning and see if they're working on a fix for it.
Tell them to put Goku in Smash.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Endorph posted:

Tell them to put Goku in Smash.

They told me I'd be fired if I mentioned it again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Taint Reaper posted:

I bet at least part of it is little brothers or people that played at their friend's house. You play as Luigi a lot growing up, you become a fan.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Dresh posted:

They told me I'd be fired if I mentioned it again.

Are you my uncle?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Luigi was given a personality in the old Mario cartoons in the early 90s. Even back then, while not exactly a coward, he was portrayed as the more cautious one of the two. I can't speak for similar animated spinoffs that were going on in Japan, but I feel like "Mario's the brave one, Luigi...less so" has almost always been the breakdown when someone tries to give the Bros personalities.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PantsBandit posted:

They haven't really been pallet swaps of one another for years. Even in Smash Bros, Luigi has a very unique fighting style. Anybody who has played any of the Nintendo games where anybody is characterized at all (including Mario) that Luigi was in, he probably was unique in some way.

The idea in Smash Bros. just seems to make him as strange as possible. His victory pose involves him stiffening his body and falling on his face, he can shoot himself like a rocket across the stage, and his final smash is the "Luigi Zone", which seems to be some kind of portal to a dimension where everything is negative or something. Luigi is working on a whole other level entirely. It's like a kind of commentary on his otherisation.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Luigi is charming as all heck, easily my favorite video game character (which is kind of sad in it's own right.)

But yeah, play the RPG's/Luigi's Mansion games. Especially the first Luigi's Mansion if possible, you get to go around and inspect stuff and Luigi acts like a huge snob about fashion and the decorations of the mansion while being utterly terrified at the same time :buddy:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The idea in Smash Bros. just seems to make him as strange as possible. His victory pose involves him stiffening his body and falling on his face, he can shoot himself like a rocket across the stage, and his final smash is the "Luigi Zone", which seems to be some kind of portal to a dimension where everything is negative or something. Luigi is working on a whole other level entirely. It's like a kind of commentary on his otherisation.

For his personality in Smash they started with Waluigi and worked backwards.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't there a game where Luigi humps everything and says "oh yeah, oh yeah?"

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You're thinking Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and the character select screen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress the haters, Mario is Missing on the SNES was the best Luigi game. :colbert:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rocketlex posted:

For his personality in Smash they started with Waluigi and worked backwards.

I think there's a reason that gif is so funny. Waluigi is failure personified. As the doppleganger of a doppelganger, he is a grotesque parody. But while Luigi is negation and will always be Mario's Jungian shadow, he regards Wal with smug contempt because Luigi flies under the radar and ends up transcending them all. He jumps higher, he even looks more normal than Mario. He silently negates the whole Mario universe, because he is defined as not being the main hero. But unlike Waluigi he successfully embraces his role to negate. He is simultaneously overlooked and superior.

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDjkMjkH1g

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I don't know what this is, but it's funny as hell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rocketlex posted:

Luigi was given a personality in the old Mario cartoons in the early 90s. Even back then, while not exactly a coward, he was portrayed as the more cautious one of the two. I can't speak for similar animated spinoffs that were going on in Japan, but I feel like "Mario's the brave one, Luigi...less so" has almost always been the breakdown when someone tries to give the Bros personalities.

I honestly thought that cartoon was cast out like the live action movie and imprisoned into the planes of oblivion. I didn't think people actually recognized it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Both the cartoon and movie rule.

This game also rules, but unlocking all of the parts is taking forever. I wanna rock Toadette on some rad bike, but I barely have anything to work with here and it's frustrating.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sharrrk posted:

Both the cartoon and movie rule.

This game also rules, but unlocking all of the parts is taking forever. I wanna rock Toadette on some rad bike, but I barely have anything to work with here and it's frustrating.

Just play through 50 and 100cc. You'll unlock everyone and like 1/2 the cart parts.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I really wish completing the higher engine classes gave you everything instead of having to complete the lower ones in addition to that. That would be fair and less tedious.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I really wish completing the higher engine classes gave you everything instead of having to complete the lower ones in addition to that. That would be fair and less tedious.

If it's just characters you're after, you can still complete pretty much just 100cc and 150cc to fill out the entire roster. Doing the higher cc's still nets you the trophies on the lower cc's.

If you're after vehicle parts then the coins you earn while racing online also counts towards that, it's just a matter of playing enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Heck, 150 and Mirror will get you all the characters, and all your 150 trophies and stars will downfill into 50 and 100.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Didn't realise getting coins online was an alternate method of unlocking stuff now. Good to see that playing 50cc isn't strictly necessary.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Coins gather up fast through local multiplayer than online since all the player's coins gets added to the coin total, while online is only a single player's coins for 1p online mode and two players for 2p online mode.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Waltzing Along posted:

When he inspects something in Luigi's Mansion he kind of thrusts at it a bit and says 'oh yeah' if I remember correctly.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
In Wario's case I don't see that as physically possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

In Wario's case I don't see that as physically possible.

Why do you think they gave Waluigi long legs? Also I'd totally play Mario MMA.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

njsykora posted:

Why do you think they gave Waluigi long legs? Also I'd totally play Mario MMA.

You're in luck

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Luigi is negation and will always be Mario's Jungian shadow

Nah, Luigi got his year in the spotlight, that must mean Mario faced and accepted his shadow and now Luigi is his persona.

Honestly it couldn't have been difficult, since "It's-a me!" Is one of the few things he ever says :v:

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH

ratbert90 posted:

gently caress the haters, Mario is Missing on the SNES was the best Luigi game. :colbert:

I will stand with you brother. History became my favorite subject because of this game.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Just poking around the tracks in time trial mode looking at the scenery is pretty interesting. There's some stuff you'd never notice playing normally, like how on Water Park the bit with the spinning seashell things has the haunted carousel music from Mario 64 playing faintly.

Still kinda disappointed about not being able to go to the castle on Royal Raceway :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Didn't realise getting coins online was an alternate method of unlocking stuff now. Good to see that playing 50cc isn't strictly necessary.

Note that you only get the "you collected x coins" announcement once every time you enter the menu. After playing online for like 6 hours I had to spend a few minutes getting to kart selection before going back to the main menu as it kept tallying up my coins from online.

• Locked thread