Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Manwithastick posted:

I'm probably wrong but Main event wouldn't even need to have that much extra work to be a "much watch" - just have one main event tier guy have a short match, maybe a extra promo and you'd be set, isn't the show like only an hour anyway?

Gotta tune in to see Randy Orton face Jay Uso!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Who invented the DDT? I know Jake 'The Snake' Roberts named it, but I heard it was either a botch by him reworked as a move or a move that Rick Rude used to use.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jake Roberts and Black Gordman both came up with the move independently, and some believe that Gordman came up with it first. In any case, Roberts was the one who popularized the move, got it over as a finisher, and named it.

Jake did, in fact, invent the move because of a botch, in a match with The Grappler (Len Denton). He had Denton in a headlock, and Denton stepped on his foot, tripping Jake backwards and planting his own head on the mat. Denton was smart enough to realize what happened and just laid there until Jake covered him.

(I think the spot they were trying to do was Jake's finisher at the time, a running kneelift. Denton would push Jake to get out of the headlock, and Jake step back into the ropes, come off and hit the still-bent-over Denton with the kneelift.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

Jake Roberts and Black Gordman both came up with the move independently, and some believe that Gordman came up with it first. In any case, Roberts was the one who popularized the move, got it over as a finisher, and named it.

Jake did, in fact, invent the move because of a botch, in a match with The Grappler (Len Denton). He had Denton in a headlock, and Denton stepped on his foot, tripping Jake backwards and planting his own head on the mat. Denton was smart enough to realize what happened and just laid there until Jake covered him.

(I think the spot they were trying to do was Jake's finisher at the time, a running kneelift. Denton would push Jake to get out of the headlock, and Jake step back into the ropes, come off and hit the still-bent-over Denton with the kneelift.)

Younger / not fat Jake made it look like murder, too (with help from the other guy selling it of course.) The announcers also used to hype the DDT like mad. OH MAH GAWD THE DDT IT OUTTA BE BANNED :supaburn:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe Tiger Mask came up with his Tiger Chancery snap DDT independently as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Black Gordman definitely came up with it before Jake, he was using it before Jake even debuted in wrestling, as was his partner Goliath. I believe Jose Lothario used it before Jake ever wrestled and it wouldn't surprise me if the move dated back further than that. Jake named it, and may have come up with it independently, it is hard to say because it is hard to believe many Jake Roberts stories.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah so I was at the PPV and during the Cena/Bray match at one point the ref started putting on those latex gloves doctors use? but then Bray hit that Sister Abigail on the outside and the ref ripped em off real quick so he could count? never saw the gloves again. Anyone know what that could be about? For a minute I thought one of them had been busted open and maybe that ref was trained to treat the cut real quick but nope

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing with Gordman and Tiger Mask's moves is that I'm not sure they're even trying to make it appear that their opponent's head is going into the ground. Until Sprecherscrow mentioned it, I always thought the Tiger Chancery was just supposed to be a lightning-quick takeover.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

epitasis posted:

oh yeah so I was at the PPV and during the Cena/Bray match at one point the ref started putting on those latex gloves doctors use? but then Bray hit that Sister Abigail on the outside and the ref ripped em off real quick so he could count? never saw the gloves again. Anyone know what that could be about? For a minute I thought one of them had been busted open and maybe that ref was trained to treat the cut real quick but nope

Bray's elbow was bleeding.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

epitasis posted:

For Payback? Yeah, Bray was busted open pretty fierce on his left elbow (The arm that always looks bloody because of his tattoo), after the stair throwing spot. Ref probably didn't want to risk getting Abdullah'd, then realized it wasn't a pinfall match.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ohhh okay thanks. Yeah never actually saw the blood

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like some indy guy used to enter to "Dead and Bloated" by Stone Temple Pilots. Who was it? Or was that some backyard wrestling video I happened upon some time?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I feel like some indy guy used to enter to "Dead and Bloated" by Stone Temple Pilots. Who was it? Or was that some backyard wrestling video I happened upon some time?

Chris Hero

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Chris Hero

Was it really? I'll be damned, 'cause I can't remember ever watching an early Hero match. Huh. Thanks!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not speaking Spanish, and thus never listening to the Spanish Announcers, I was wondering - do they have a Spanish version of Micheal Cole, a Spanish King, a Spanish JBL etc? Do these announcers have their own personalities to bounce off each other, or are they told to ape the English ones?

Also, as Vince yells in Cole's ear to "shut the gently caress up about the match at hand and push teh network a little more you sniveling worm!", is there someone backstage to translate that and then yell it in the ear of Spanish dude?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, as Vince yells in Cole's ear to "shut the gently caress up about the match at hand and push teh network a little more you sniveling worm!", is there someone backstage to translate that and then yell it in the ear of Spanish dude?

I haven't listened to them but from what I've heard they don't have anyone yelling in their ears and they've been better than the English announcers for a really long time. Carlos Cabrera's been the play-by-play guy since 1993, I think.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What do you think was the biggest/greatest Wrestlemania match? To me, it has to be a match that lives up to the hype of the event and of the competitors. For me, it's gotta be HBK vs Ric Flair at Wrestlemania 24. It was like the greatest hits of Flair's wrestling career, had some amazing mark out moments, one of the best endings ever, and possibly the greatest send off to a WWE career.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

What do you think was the biggest/greatest Wrestlemania match? To me, it has to be a match that lives up to the hype of the event and of the competitors. For me, it's gotta be HBK vs Ric Flair at Wrestlemania 24. It was like the greatest hits of Flair's wrestling career, had some amazing mark out moments, one of the best endings ever, and possibly the greatest send off to a WWE career.

I don't think there's ever been a better WWE match than Taker-Shawn I.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spikeguy posted:

Bret vs. Owen at WM10.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Was it really? I'll be damned, 'cause I can't remember ever watching an early Hero match. Huh. Thanks!

Ahhh this brings back great memories of watching Hero back in the indie days.

Cesaro/Claudio used to come out to a sweet instrumental version of "Sledgehammer" when he had his Swiss banker gimmick too :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'll always have a massive soft spot for Bret v Piper at VIII, even though I know it would barely scrape into most people's top 5 for Bret alone.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Spikeguy posted:

I know I'm probably the only person in the world who has this opinion, but i think the best WrestleMania match ever is Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels from WM21. I think it's an absolutely stellar and perfect match and it only gets better every time you watch it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd also like to give honorable mention to HHH v Undertaker III at Wrestlemania 28 with special guest star: Shawn Michaels. That match told a hell of a story that was the culmination of four years.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

Personally, I would say Austin/Rock II at Wrestlemania X7. Wrestlemania Main Events should act as season finales, and it is the perfect finale for the Attitude Era, with it's two biggest faces facing off for the title.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kevino07 posted:

Personally, I would say Austin/Rock II at Wrestlemania X7. Wrestlemania Main Events should act as season finales, and it is the perfect finale for the Attitude Era, with it's two biggest faces facing off for the title.

Yeah but no body likes Austin's heel turn.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DangerKat posted:

Yeah but no body likes Austin's heel turn.

What?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I wasn't watching wrestling when that what thing happened, but seeing the crowd still occasionally scream 'what' after every word a wrestler says is always hilarious.

Also Piper is one of my favorites, and yet I've never seen a full match of his. He just is charismatic as all poo poo, and seems like a genuinely nice guy now. Also They Live is the best movie. God bless that 20 minute fight scene.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

derriere demons posted:

Also Piper is one of my favorites, and yet I've never seen a full match of his.

If you tune into Tuesday Nitro (Sunday this week due to MRT issues, I believe), you'll learn to hate, hate, hate Piper.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

If you tune into Tuesday Nitro (Sunday this week due to MRT issues, I believe), you'll learn to hate, hate, hate Piper.

This is sadly true. I was a gigantic Piper fan as a kid and was initally exicited when he showed up in WCW before becoming completely disillusioned rather fast. You really should stick to his old WWF work if you want to continue to remember him fondly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

derriere demons posted:

Also Piper is one of my favorites, and yet I've never seen a full match of his. He just is charismatic as all poo poo, and seems like a genuinely nice guy now. Also They Live is the best movie. God bless that 20 minute fight scene.
Go watch the match I recommended at WMVIII, do it right now.

Even if you're crazy and don't like the match, the commentary is some of the best ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

derriere demons posted:

I wasn't watching wrestling when that what thing happened, but seeing the crowd still occasionally scream 'what' after every word a wrestler says is always hilarious.

you should watch the Greg Valentine vs. Piper match at Starrcade 1. It is brutal and really really good.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Spikeguy posted:

What do you think was the biggest/greatest Wrestlemania match? To me, it has to be a match that lives up to the hype of the event and of the competitors.

If I had to pick one to defend on merit it'd be one of the Taker/HBK/HHH series, or a Rock-Austin.

But, my gut answer is probably always going to be Hogan/Warrior at WM6.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

derriere demons posted:

Piper/Blender - Legends House E01

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

I know I'm probably the only person in the world who has this opinion, but i think the best WrestleMania match ever is Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels from WM21. I think it's an absolutely stellar and perfect match and it only gets better every time you watch it.

Yeah, if I was somehow accosted and forced to give a quick answer without really thinking about it, this would be the one. I loving love that match.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Since widespread internet access, have there been any genuine, big surprises in wrestling? I'm thinking Cena returning early at the Royal Rumble as the kind of thing, though I don't actually know how shocking that was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Weren't a bunch of people surprised at the Rock being the surprise guest host at Wrestlemania?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Nobody believed that my client
BROCK LESNAR
would break the Streak!

Anyway, in a fun WWE.com article, Natalya regrets that she cannot break Eva Marie's young neck:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/what-moves-do-superstars-wish-they-could-do-26362980/page-7

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

Since widespread internet access, have there been any genuine, big surprises in wrestling? I'm thinking Cena returning early at the Royal Rumble as the kind of thing, though I don't actually know how shocking that was.

Edge's Rumble return/win was a surprise IIRC

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Nobody believed that my client
BROCK LESNAR
would break the Streak!

Anyway, in a fun WWE.com article, Natalya regrets that she cannot break Eva Marie's young neck:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/what-moves-do-superstars-wish-they-could-do-26362980/page-7

Fandango's choice is hilarious

quote:

Twinkle-toes Fandango chalked up his fascination with the Shooting Star Press to his well-documented celestial obsession.

“I just love shooting stars,” Fandango gushed. “I love the sky. I love constellations.”

Unfortunately, a nagging back injury prevents him from trying to bust out a Shooting Star Press, he insisted.

“I hurt my back at a track meet/ballet recital in 5th grade, when I was 12.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bard Maddox posted:

I saw Bobby Heenan at a Q&A event in 2005 and he cited this match as his favorite of all time. :)