Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ratbros are fine even if they all suck at PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Sanctum posted:

Yeah I like the lockstones, plus it's a reward you get for not being in the covenant.

What do you mean the ratlord host is risking something? They stand on the highground and spam sorcery/pyro/miracle/hex nukes while you are bogged down in slow water fighting enemies. Don't try to defend the rat covenant players. :eng99:

I mean if the ratlord dies, then they lose their humanity (their stain will be easy to retrieve, for obvious reasons).

Yeah, it's not MUCH of a loss. But it's something. it's more than what the phantom is risking. If he dies, he goes straight back to his own world, and unlike with failed red orb invasions, he doesn't even need to retrieve his bloodstain.

Alkydere posted:

gently caress The Rotten. More specifically, gently caress his glitchy grab that is more than happy to snap you to his hand despite you obviously dodging/clearing the attack. I had it happen to me a few times as a spirit and thought it was host lag. Nope, the grab is quite happy to do the same if you're soloing the fat bastard.

Keep at a sort of medium distance and he won't try it much. You wanna bait out the vertical overhead cleaver slam, then de-lock and attack the arm. If you're patient and this is the only time you're damaging him, you'll sever the arm before too long. Just watch out for the similar looking attack that actually shoots out dark magic damage once the clever lands. That's nasty.

Btw, cutting off the left arm will get you a lockstone.

Fighting the Rotten after you've cut off both arms is pretty amusing. He'll keep attempting to attack with his stumps.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Now that GRS and GRW have been nerfed, I'm thinking about ditching my Hex build and going pure Sorcery. I have some questions, though:

1) In all seriousness, what is the point of Soul Greatsword? I see people using it, but why? It seems very easy to dodge and the damage seems so-so. Am I completely overlooking something?

2) What is a good weapon for Sorcery builds? Blue Flame seems somewhat tempting, but I don't like how much damage it loses compared to a good Catalyst. I know the Moonlight Greatsword is supposed to be quite good, but is there anything else anyone can recommend? I have quite a few points to throw around.

3) Has it ever been clearly established how useful Cast Speed is? Is it worth sticking with the Lion Mage Set?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't know how, but I ended up specing my dex swordsman as a power stance wielding greatsword who can only wear light armor; I barely even have one attunement slot

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Time_pants posted:

1) In all seriousness, what is the point of Soul Greatsword? I see people using it, but why? It seems very easy to dodge and the damage seems so-so. Am I completely overlooking something?

In all seriousness, because it looks TOTALLY SWEET (it's really for PvE, people that use it in PvP are... unwise).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eh, the rat covenant is pretty lame. You make zero progress in the level by getting summoned and all you get out of wining is a lockstone (something you'll only ever want if you are a ratbro yourself). It's a waste of time, and potentially obnoxious if the ratbro has ascetic'd the area. There's simply no incentive to win or even engage in the fight if you're not the host. Yeah, you can run past but that's a loving stupid way to think about it because it doesn't fix the issue at hand. If the best solution you can come up with to make a PvP covenant bearable is to ignore it that says a lot about the covenant and none of it positive. It being optional is not something you'll know on your first run, either.

Is it a big deal? No. Is it dumb anyway? Absolutely.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Eh, the rat covenant is pretty lame. You make zero progress in the level by getting summoned and all you get out of wining is a lockstone (something you'll only ever want if you are a ratbro yourself). It's a waste of time, and potentially obnoxious if the ratbro has ascetic'd the area. There's simply no incentive to win or even engage in the fight if you're not the host. Yeah, you can run past but that's a loving stupid way to think about it because it doesn't fix the issue at hand. If the best solution you can come up with to make a PvP covenant bearable is to ignore it that says a lot about the covenant and none of it positive. It being optional is not something you'll know on your first run, either.

You gain nothing from normal invaders. Which is even less than what you gain from ratbros. I'm not sure what your point is here unless you're saying all PVP is poo poo and dark souls should be only summonable co-op.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iretep posted:

You gain nothing from normal invaders. Which is even less than what you gain from ratbros. I'm not sure what your point is here unless you're saying all PVP is poo poo and dark souls should be only summonable co-op.

Normal invasions serve a purpose, or at least they did before this game. They were there to present a challenge to those who chose to stay alive, either because they wanted coop help or because they sought the invasions specifically. The way it is now is bad because you can't opt out without going offline so they made the items needed to invade scarce. This is a problem but it's not the same problem. The rats don't serve a purpose. You lose nothing, gain nothing, all that happens is your time is wasted. There's no threat and there's no reward, so what's the point in doing it at all?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Eh, the rat covenant is pretty lame. You make zero progress in the level by getting summoned and all you get out of wining is a lockstone (something you'll only ever want if you are a ratbro yourself).

Isn't there a cooldown on getting summoned again, though?

My first time in NG in both rat zones was interesting and enjoyable.

Grave of Saints:

Walked in, immediately got summoned, didn't know what the gently caress was happening (apparently there was something like this in Demon Souls, but I never played that), fought the host, whom I actually thought might be an NPC because he was named the "Royal Rat Boss", returned to my own world. Fought my way through the rest of the level and fought the Rat Vanguard, then found the Rat King and realized what had happened. And I thought: "Neat, that was different."

Doors of Pharros:

Walked in, immediately got summoned, fought the host, returned to my world. Proceeded for a while in my world, made good progress, then got summoned again, fought the host, returned to my world. Rinse and repeat a third time. Then finally I got to the Rat Authority in my world, and finished the zone.

Was it frustrating? I didn't feel that way. Instead, I felt like I had successfully made it through An Ordeal, but in a rewarding, Dark Souls kind of way.

quote:

all you get out of wining is a lockstone (something you'll only ever want if you are a ratbro yourself)

Speak for yourself. In NG, there are so many Pharros doors with unknown -- and often crap -- rewards that it's nice to have extra lockstones. In NG, you don't know what doors hold or do what unless you're cheating with wiki, so you don't know what you shouldn't waste your lockstones on.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 5, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You get more than enough lockstones to open every door besides the ones in the rat areas without engaging in that covenant.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
And what has a ratlord actually accomplished by winning over their summon?

I quite like fighting them in grave of saints, but pharros is pure bullshit. "Oh he dodged all my spells while wading through waist-deep water and also killing various enemies, but I sure nuked him good when he had to climb up that there latter." Great job, you did it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tears. That's the whole point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get more than enough lockstones to open every door besides the ones in the rat areas without engaging in that covenant.

Which you don't know the first time through.

E: Nor do you know where all of them are, making the Rat stuff still rewarding. Plus the grace period after an invasion is such that it's not hard to get between the bonfires even if you die.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 5, 2014

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Time_pants posted:

I've seen on some streams people will cast it after a couple Soul Spears when they get in range because it can hit them if they roll thinking another Soul Spear is coming.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sanctum posted:

And what has a ratlord actually accomplished by winning over their summon?

A rat tail for their covenant rewards (ie, some smooth and silky stones and eventually the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring) and a lockstone.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Which you don't know the first time through.

E: Nor do you know where all of them are, making the Rat stuff still rewarding. Plus the grace period after an invasion is such that it's not hard to get between the bonfires even if you die.

You don't know where all the doors are either, making it not actually particularly rewarding to stick with. You never need a lockstone to progress in the game, either. You'd also probably regret wasting a lockstone in the Grave or Doors of Pharros unless you became a long term ratbro but they don't really amount to much in the long term.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Only near the end-game, when you've looted just about every zone. In a blind NG run, if you wanna be able to unlock every mystery Pharros door as you find it without using wiki to know what not to waste a stone on, the rat covenant is super useful.

But, yeah, some people don't mind using wiki. For me, it ruins the discovery.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

some smooth and silky stones

Iirc, you get TWENTY (total) smooth/silky stones for ranking up as a Ratlord. Imo this is the best reason of all to do a little Ratlording.

It gets harder to farm smooth/silky stones in NG with the small soapstone sign when your SM gets too high, and smooth/silky stones are great for getting extra twinkling titanite, petrified dragon bones, and titanite slabs from the crow ladies, and those materials are really hard to farm without excessive ascetic usage. So I can never have enough smooth/silky stones.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ninotoreS posted:

In all seriousness, because it looks TOTALLY SWEET (it's really for PvE, people that use it in PvP are... unwise).

What is it actually for in PvE, though? The damage is pretty average and the number of casts is rather low. Is it short-range crowd-control?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

There's been a patch recently right? Where can I find the patch notes, from what I understand it's mostly PvP balancing?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

There's been a patch recently right? Where can I find the patch notes, from what I understand it's mostly PvP balancing?

You can find the patch notes on the official website: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

They're translated from japanese and almost worse than google translate though, since they also include typos ("Bad Staff" being "Bat Staff", etc.)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

From didn't really give detailed notes and what they did release was translated via babelfish or something:

"DaSII official site posted:

-regulation ver.1.06 note-

[schedule]
June 2, 2014 (Monday) at 17:00

[contents]
-Fixed so that the poison damage of the weapon “Bad Staff” occurs only
during the close distance attack.The poison damage doesn’t occur when the spell is used.
-The motion, damage amount, and balance during reinforcement of
the weapon“Avelyn”are adjusted.
-The motion, damage amount and balance of the weapon “Syan's Halberd”are adjusted.
-The damage amount, damage amount to the stamina, and balance
during reinforcement of the weapon “Santier's Spear” are adjusted.
-The motion of the weapon “Pursuer's Greatsword” is adjusted.
-The parameters of the armor “Cale's Leather Armor” and “Cale's Shoes” are adjusted.
-The hexes correction value of the ring “Abyss Seal” is adjusted.
-The damage amount balance of the spell “Great Resonant Soul” is adjusted.
-The damage amount balance of the spell “Wrath of the Gods” is adjusted.
-The damage increasing amount of the spell “Resonant Weapon” is adjusted.
-The damage increasing amount of the spell “Flame Weapon” is adjusted.
-The motion of the Thrusting Sword category weapons is adjusted.
-The Dual Wield attacking motion of the Greataxe category weapons is adjusted.
-The Parry motion of Curved Sword category weapon is adjusted.
-The balance of the weapon enchant by spell is adjusted.
-The affection degree to the spell effective time is adjusted to
fluctuate depending on the status value.

After applying the regulation, the following will be displayed on the upper right corner of the
title screen. Regulation [1.05 ? 1.06]

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

ninotoreS posted:

Really? Soul Greatsword has worked great in PvP for me. Stack some casting speed buffs, and it's pretty much an instant AoE attack that many have trouble dodging. It's like a stronger, bigger and faster Great Combustion with fewer casts. Poke them a few times with an estoc, and cast soul greatsword when they try to roll away for pretty much guaranteed damage - not tonnes of damage sure, but significant.

By the way, does casting speed have any influence on pyromancies? I can't see any difference for Great Combustion when I'm totally naked vs. Lion Mage plus Blue ringforquickspells, but it obviously makes a huge difference for miracles and sorcery.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Jordbo posted:

By the way, does casting speed have any influence on pyromancies? I can't see any difference for Great Combustion when I'm totally naked vs. Lion Mage plus Blue ringforquickspells, but it obviously makes a huge difference for miracles and sorcery.

I rarely use any spells, but aren't the Combustion spells super quick casts anyways?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninotoreS posted:

It's pretty useful in PvP because it goes through walls entirely, so you can kill anyone who tries to run behind a corner or a door. It's also pretty strong. It's about as hard to hit with as every other sorcery though; a single roll in any direction defeats it, so like anything else you have to bait them into it otherwise.

quote:

What is it actually for in PvE, though? The damage is pretty average and the number of casts is rather low. Is it short-range crowd-control?

Yes, because most magic can't hit things that get up in your grill. It does more damage the closer the target is to you. If you hit with the tip it does far less than the base. It has a giant arc, a decent range, and does tons of damage. 5 casts is 1 more than Soul Spear gets at 50 attunement too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 5, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fuxxo posted:

I rarely use any spells, but aren't the Combustion spells super quick casts anyways?

I may be misremembering DS1, but I feel like they're *much* slower in this game (part of why I haven't really used them yet)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
New Binoboost/Parrywalk record time is 17:51. The most you could shave off that is maybe another 30 seconds from what I saw.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Why isn't the door to the Rise of the Dead opening? I'm hollowed but it just says "Locked".

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Alabaster White posted:

Why isn't the door to the Rise of the Dead opening? I'm hollowed but it just says "Locked".

Did you rescue all the Milfanito?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Did you rescue all the Milfanito?

Well gently caress, I accidentally killed the one outside the boss fog while trying to make her stand up. Turns out she has 1 HP and literally any impact whatsoever, including a shove, will kill her :mad:

Will she have a gravestone or am I just hosed out of getting the Manslayer and other goodies?

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Well gently caress, I accidentally killed the one outside the boss fog while trying to make her stand up. Turns out she has 1 HP and literally any impact whatsoever, including a shove, will kill her :mad:

Will she have a gravestone or am I just hosed out of getting the Manslayer and other goodies?

Pretty sure you're hosed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Alabaster White posted:

You are F U C K E D.
Rip.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The red lizard crystal thing in brightstone? The fucker died and what I suppose was the drop went into the big gapin sandhole

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Honest Thief posted:

The red lizard crystal thing in brightstone? The fucker died and what I suppose was the drop went into the big gapin sandhole

No red titanite for you! Say goodybe to chaos weapons.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

The lizards with the red crystal don't drop anything. They're just traps.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
I've been making my way through NG++, and it's been okay, but I was getting a little bored so I decided to do some Sunbroing for a while. I put my summon sign down in Drangleic Castle, at the bonfire before King's Passage. One of the people who summoned me took off down the stairs, and immediately fell in the hole under the elevator. It was pretty funny, but not nearly as funny when it happened a second time with a different person.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Alabaster White posted:

I... Hmm. When in doubt, ascetic? Or NG+.

NuttO posted:

One of the people who summoned me took off down the stairs, and immediately fell in the hole under the elevator. It was pretty funny, but not nearly as funny when it happened a second time with a different person.

I bet those two were feeling down afterwards.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 5, 2014

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I'm playing through as a Strength character and looking for a weapon to use. I've got dual caestus that I've been using, and they are great, but I am looking for something to compliment them. I have tried dual morning stars, and I like them, but I don't love them. I have also tried the large club and the great sword. What do you guys think would go best? The caestus are fast and short range, so I'm thinking something broad and sweeping would be ideal, but I'm not loving the Greatsword. Maybe a different sword or a hammer/axe with a wide sweep? I just entered Harvest Valley, but I've beaten the game on another character so I know where stuff is.

Edit - I also just realized I forgot to grab the Drangleic sword. I'll go get that. I remember it being good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RBA Starblade posted:

I still hate that you don't climb the Tower of Flame.

Maybe you will in the DLC.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Raygereio posted:

The lizards with the red crystal don't drop anything. They're just traps.

motherfucker! well I sure as hell aint burning no respawn item now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Time_pants posted:

I guess?

I confess I don't really know, I've never made a heavy magic using build so I've never bothered with it (only seen it, usually ineffectually in PvP).

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 5, 2014