Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Mio Bison posted:

I'm 100% confident you can cancel the frame you land from an empty jump into any special/super/ultra without even becoming grounded, it's part of the reason I gave up on using Breathless to punish neutral jumps. I'm not 100% sure about canceling landing frames into normals but I'm like... 95% sure. Give it the old training mode try!

Record empty jump DP and you can grab it as Gief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Benson Cunningham posted:

Anyone have any tips for Zangief against Ken, and oddly Hugo? I crushed pretty much every other matchup I experienced last night.

Also, mirror matchups are always bad, but Zangief V Zangief is just plain awful.

VS Ken: It should be favorable for Zangief. Learn what's punishable and what isn't. Step kick is -2 which is punishable by SPD, for example, so you can look out for Ken abusing it and doing it too close.

His thunder kick (f.RH, that axe kick overhead) is 0 on block, -1 on hit, so expect them to jump or backdash after it. If they aren't teach them to respect you with an SPD.

Once you have meter, you should be reacting to Ken's fireballs with EX Green Hand consistently, his fireball is easier to punish on reaction compared to other shotos.

If you know how to time ultra 2 as an "anti anti-air", just having the threat of U2 is extremely oppressive vs Ken, since he has no good anti-air normals with horizontal reach other than far fierce (which is kinda slow and almost no one uses it). I'd definitely recommend U2 or W for this matchup.

Ken's cr.MK into fireball has a gap, so mash ex green hand or focus through it to get in Ken's face.

Generally, Ken's only good damage at range comes from confirming into EX tatsu, and that gets him in Zangief face. Zangief wants to be in your face, and the ensuing RPS from it should be in your favor. If Ken does any combo into Tatsu that isn't EX, you get a free ultra 1 since he's -1 at best.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well re-upped my xbl finally and playing hugo online.

In the last 2 hours I have been perfected more than I have been in the last 3 years.

I know im rusty but goddamn hugo, poo poo is rough for you boy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rolento is 100% my poo poo right now. God drat is he fun.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Record empty jump DP and you can grab it as Gief.

Out of respect for your years of dedicated service and newfound E-fame I made a bad little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMZEasXMzs

Maybe forward/backjumps are different? Don't think they are though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, Capcom, for making playing PC with randoms a worthless gauntlet of terrible computers and 1 bar connections for the next 3 months.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've never seen someone be so mentally broken on a stream.
Edit: this is not the streaming thread!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

:stare:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Elena is so much fun and she does CRAZY damage. Like, way more damage than I was expecting. Long range pokes, awesome overhead, good focus attack, cross-up j.MK, multiple anti-air options, hilariously damaging punishes, and funny/cute taunts.

Drawbacks: Arguably the most punishable jump in the game, meh backdash, meh forward dash, some pokes are slow (especially her sweep).

I'm loving her so far! :slick:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Zangief EX Hand doesn't knock down anymore, what am I supposed to do after it, another regular hand? Crouch MK/HK?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Also what do you mean Hugo doesn't care about Fireballs? I tried him out and couldn't get close to anyone who had a projectile. His jump throw has like infinity landing frames too.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 5, 2014

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Share Bear posted:

Also what do you mean Hugo doesn't care about Fireballs? I tried him out and couldn't get close to anyone who had a projectile. His jump throw has like infinity landing frames too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqJtYc5ZS4&t=24s

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

EX lariat isn't actually any good against fireballs though(as by the time you get in range to clothesline, they will be blocking and get a full punish on you), as my little Hugo sojourn online has shown me :(

He is so loving fat that fireballs you think you clear with a jump literally hit him in his rear end.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

Zangief EX Hand doesn't knock down anymore, what am I supposed to do after it, another regular hand? Crouch MK/HK?

A mixup I think. Either c.LP or regular throw or SPD. If they're DP mashers just block punish whatever they do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

EX lariat isn't actually any good against fireballs though, as my little Hugo sojourn online has proved :(

He is so loving fat that fireballs you think you clear with a jump literally hit him in his rear end.

Try his old sf3 universal overhead for a safer, meterless fireball evade.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

Oh I know, it's still kinda poo poo as you won't really be able to pass throw slow fireballs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Posting a youtube link with Maximillian's face on it should be a probational offense

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh I know, it's still kinda poo poo as you won't really be able to pass throw slow fireballs.

You can also clap away projectiles.

Anyhow, Hugo doesn't completely ignore fireballs (he's not cammy, after all), he just has a lot better options than most grapplers.

Edit: I've seen properly timed universals go through jab sonic booms, for what that's worth.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 5, 2014

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I have no idea what that is.

Elephant Ambush posted:

A mixup I think. Either c.LP or regular throw or SPD. If they're DP mashers just block punish whatever they do.

So I just wait until after blockstun for the SPD or throw maybe? That seems like a waste, but I guess that's what's intended.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

I can't stop laughing. Thank you.

Next Zangief question, any good Gief vs. Decapre videos out yet? Hard matchup for me.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 5, 2014

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Share Bear posted:

It's a guessing game. You can cr.LK (buffed and easier to combo now), SPD, neutral jump headbutt, wait and see... it really just depends on the risk you want to take and what the tendencies of your opponent are.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Share Bear posted:

I have no idea what that is.

So I just wait until after blockstun for the SPD or throw maybe? That seems like a waste, but I guess that's what's intended.

in SF3 every character had an overhead that was performed with mp+mk. Hugo has that same animation in SF4, only it's performed with d,d MK. It has a ton of frames of projectile invulnerability, but it's a command normal, so it can't be done as a reversal, and only has that invuln starting with frame 4 of the move, meaning it takes some timing, but it also has lots of active frames, and good recovery even on block, so it's reasonably safe at most ranges.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

in SF3 every character had an overhead that was performed with mp+mk. Hugo has that same animation in SF4, only it's performed with d,d MK. It has a ton of frames of projectile invulnerability, but it's a command normal, so it can't be done as a reversal, and only has that invuln starting with frame 4 of the move, meaning it takes some timing, but it also has lots of active frames, and good recovery even on block, so it's reasonably safe at most ranges.

Isn't it always safe? Ultradavid was testing in on UltraChen's stream and he couldn't punish it with Ken super or gief SPD Ultra from point blank.

Edit:VVVVVVVV Oh ok. I thought you meant on block, duh. Also, typo.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 5, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Snicker-Snack posted:

Isn't it always safe? Ultrdavid was testing in on UltraChen's stream and he couldn't punish it with Ken super or gief SPD Ultra from point blank.

I think it might trade with some of dhalsim's limbs, maybe?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Just started learning the piano hands input. No wonder I rarely see it, it's hard as heck to do without ex coming out.

cr.mp into mp.lp.hp.mp.lp isn't too bad, but the cr.mk into hands that I've seen is.

edit: I can actually land it with 90% training mode consistency by just tapping lp.mp.lp.mp.lp or mp.hp.mp.hp.mp after a cr.mp or cr.mk... Is there any reason not to just do that instead of the piano method? It seems to be easier for me at least. I hardly ever get an ex coming out either...

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 5, 2014

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Share Bear posted:

Your EX green hands shouldn't ever be blocked, it's always been punishable on block so only use it when you know for certain it will hit. To hit someone through their projectile, as a combo ender or as an option select from a lk or lp.

During footsies throw out jabs and shorts with EX-GH buffered, if you do it fast enough the GH won't come out unless you hit the other character, so no problem if your lp/lk whiffs. Do the lp/lk just out of the range where it would normally hit, that way they can't block your light (and the GH) as the only way for your lp/lk to even reach them is if they are moving forwards, unable to block.

EX GH didn't knock down in v.2012 and I think regular AE, too.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Just started learning the piano hands input. No wonder I rarely see it, it's hard as heck to do without ex coming out.

cr.mp into mp.lp.hp.mp.lp isn't too bad, but the cr.mk into hands that I've seen is.

edit: I can actually land it with 90% training mode consistency by just tapping lp.mp.lp.mp.lp or mp.hp.mp.hp.mp after a cr.mp or cr.mk... Is there any reason not to just do that instead of the piano method? It seems to be easier for me at least. I hardly ever get an ex coming out either...

I've had the same problem while trying to learn Decapre and I've decided to just stick with that method as well, it's so much easier since Decapre's normals don't seem to hitstun for very long at all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When I'd piano Honda's hands, I'd just slide my finger across the buttons, although I would sometimes get an EX this way without meaning to do so. Doing it the "proper" way is really hard.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

When I messed around with vanilla Gen, I would use my thumb to hit MK and use my middle finger to slide on the punches to do his hands combos. Don't think you could use it to end on MP but sliding to do LP MP HP MP LP (or HP MP LP MP HP if HP hands works for Decapre's combos) is something you could try.

marblehouse
Oct 18, 2010

Ixiggle posted:

I noticed meatsquasher being a little harder to do than other 360s, has anyone else felt this? I feel I need to do a more complete motion to get it to come out in order to perform it consistently. Maybe it was programmed a little more strict because of the overlap with ultra throw. As long as I try to end on 8 instead of 7 or 9 it seems to work out alright though.

Yup this is totally true. I play on hitbox so this was confusing/annoying the hell out of me. With zangief either 412367+P or the slide technique (4268+P) gives a 360 but with Hugo you need at least one extra input.. 4123678+K works and 42678+K works.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

marblehouse posted:

Yup this is totally true. I play on hitbox so this was confusing/annoying the hell out of me. With zangief either 412367+P or the slide technique (4268+P) gives a 360 but with Hugo you need at least one extra input.. 4123678+K works and 42678+K works.

I'm not playing with a Hitbox, but I can confirm this. Most SPD motions in the game only require a 225 degree motion on the stick: F, DF, D, DB, B, UB, for example. Meatsquasher won't trigger unless you do a full 270 motion, though. It requires one more tick on the joystick, making the input F, DF, D, DB, B, UB, U, or some variation thereof.

Edit: Now that the frame data app is available on Android, can anyone confirm that it's worth the three dollars?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Kempo posted:

Your EX green hands shouldn't ever be blocked, it's always been punishable on block so only use it when you know for certain it will hit. To hit someone through their projectile, as a combo ender or as an option select from a lk or lp.

During footsies throw out jabs and shorts with EX-GH buffered, if you do it fast enough the GH won't come out unless you hit the other character, so no problem if your lp/lk whiffs. Do the lp/lk just out of the range where it would normally hit, that way they can't block your light (and the GH) as the only way for your lp/lk to even reach them is if they are moving forwards, unable to block.

EX GH didn't knock down in v.2012 and I think regular AE, too.

Thanks for the info. I remember it knocking down in AE, in 2012 it did not seem as fast.

How do you buffer GH while crouching? down-forward, down-forward? I will be practicing this later. (I've never done an option select in my life).

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 5, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
EX GH stopped knocking down as of AE, so the last game it knocked down in was super.

I actually find the option select hard to buffer because of negative edge and because the moves you want to buffer it on are so fast.

An easy one that you can practice is as Sakura: you do cr. mk and input the DP. The cr. MK is way slower than gief's lk and jab, so you have plenty of time to do it. You only do it outside of range so that they could potentially walk into it.

With Gief's, just remember that due to negative edge, if you hold the buttons down at all instead of tapping them super fast, you're going to probably get EX greenhand when you release them. The solution to this should be tap them and release them before the jab or st. lk recovers, because if you release them after the poke recovers, you'll execute raw EX GH due to negative edge. You want the ex GH input to be swallowed by the active frames of recovery of the poke if it whiffs, and then if it does hit it will cancel.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gammatron 64 posted:

When I'd piano Honda's hands, I'd just slide my finger across the buttons, although I would sometimes get an EX this way without meaning to do so. Doing it the "proper" way is really hard.

Sliding is totally a proper method

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

can someone who has ultra tell me if they put a loving rematch button in a 2-person lobby yet

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Is there any to prevent your microphone from broadcasting when playing on PC? People really doesn't deserve to hear one half of a totally unrelated conversation I'm having with a friend on Skype.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I'm not playing with a Hitbox, but I can confirm this. Most SPD motions in the game only require a 225 degree motion on the stick: F, DF, D, DB, B, UB, for example. Meatsquasher won't trigger unless you do a full 270 motion, though. It requires one more tick on the joystick, making the input F, DF, D, DB, B, UB, U, or some variation thereof.

Edit: Now that the frame data app is available on Android, can anyone confirm that it's worth the three dollars?

I bought it. Its easy to use, and quite complete. It's a bit bullshit that the game doesn't give you frame data in training mode a la skullgirls or killer instinct, but as an ap its nice to have all of that data in one location.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Sarchasm posted:

What are you talking about? I was reliably doing both of Hugo's 360 moves with only 632147; I never had to go all the way up to 8.

e: or at least I thought; now paying more attention in training mode, it looks like an 8 is getting in there too, unintentionally... sometimes as 632147K8 strangely enough...

e2: so after testing again, you're right. Meat Squasher will not fire unless it's a full 270.

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 5, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

There's only one way to settle this: Training Mode Lobby, first to ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
if they really did require an extra direction on hugo's 360, do you think it was an intentional design? it seems really loving weird to me they would do that and i can't imagine any good reason

• Locked thread