Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The problem is shuffling is a game action that you cannot take unless directed to by a card or game rule, and there is no game rule for this.

I honestly don't know what happens here. It's pretty hosed.

Sometimes the judge just tells you to shuffle as part of fixing a mistake you made. This doesn't quite qualify as a mistake, but trying to break the game in a way that can be solved with a shuffle is something the judge will want to solve with a shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Prism posted:

What's the actual answer? What happens?

A judge I am not.

Matt Tabak punches you in the face.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The problem is shuffling is a game action that you cannot take unless directed to by a card or game rule, and there is no game rule for this.

Actually, the Wurm would go back to the zone it was cast from, according to 717.1. Since it would be going to a part of your library that should be random, I would instruct you to shuffle it in.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Brownhat posted:

Actually, the Wurm would go back to the zone it was cast from, according to 717.1. Since it would be going to a part of your library that should be random, I would instruct you to shuffle it in.

I was going to ask what happens if the opponent has a Psychogenic Probe in play, but then I noticed it's specifically worded to only trigger on spells or abilities.

Is there even any reason for that clause to exist on that card besides judge instructions like that? I can't think of anything that makes you shuffle your library that's not a spell or ability. I suppose maybe your opponent taking mulligans when you started with it on the battlefield, but I can't think of any way for that to happen besides a card printed ten years later (Karn) and I'm not even sure if Karn would do it because I'm not sure at what relative point his "put dat poo poo onto the battlefield yo" clause happens.

Magic wording is awesome. :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There was a guy who tried cheating in a tournament by shuffling his deck for no apparent reason, presenting it for his opponent to cut, and then call a judge on his opponent illegally cutting his deck.

It didn't work.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Sometimes the judge just tells you to shuffle as part of fixing a mistake you made. This doesn't quite qualify as a mistake, but trying to break the game in a way that can be solved with a shuffle is something the judge will want to solve with a shuffle.

Brownhat posted:

As these guys reinforced, a judge can instruct you to shuffle in order as part of a game-state resolution. The only reason I jumped immediately to that answer was because I brought up the case where you do something similar using Chromatic Sphere, and my suspicions about it were met with consensus. Especially since, once again, rewinding is never the go-to answer, and oftentimes (as I'm sure many competitive players have discovered) errors that seems like they'd be easy to back up will not be.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

There was a guy who tried cheating in a tournament by shuffling his deck for no apparent reason, presenting it for his opponent to cut, and then call a judge on his opponent illegally cutting his deck.

It didn't work.

This was, in fact, Tomoharu Saito. His second DQ in two months, leading to his first (of two, to date) eighteen-month suspension.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Was it really intentional? I don't understand how he thought that would work at any point in the process.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well, it goes back in your deck in an indeterminate location, but that doesn't matter because it is immediately shuffled by whatever effect you were searching with.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Kasonic posted:

Was it really intentional? I don't understand how he thought that would work at any point in the process.

DQ report posted:

Saito had recently come off a DQ for bribery though that incident seemed to be the result of bad judgment over prize split rules and some poor translation more than anything overtly shady. In this second incident Saito was about to lose the game. Did he go into the tank to think? Did he calculate his outs by the percentages? No! Instead he picked up his own deck moved some cards around and then offered up his deck for his opponent to cut… for no reason!
More than likely it was intentional.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kasonic posted:

In the year 2014 there are still people who think you can request your opponent desleeve and then judge call for marked cards.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gynovore posted:

Fun, but broken. A few days ago, Trick Jarrett wrote in his column about hypothetically using Conspiracies in Vintage/Legacy, and asked users to submit degenerate examples. I came up with a deck that, if it goes first, wins 99.9% of the time and uses only commons.

What you really want is a deck that can win going second in this format. Like, if some other guy has a turn zero flash hulk style deck, you don't really have a way to deal with that. Something like a breakfast burrito shell, except with leyline of anticipation, archive trap, and no narcomoebas, since we have the free guys to start with. Or maybe some sort of myr retriever deck or something.

Actually, Simian spirit guide + Shrapnel Blast is a good 2 card combo. That's probably a better place to start.

E: yeah that seems like a good place to start. Tentative list:

4xShrapnel blast

4xSimian Spirit Guide
4xElvish spirit Guide
4xChancellor of the Tangle
4xGemstone Caverns

4xPact of Negation
4xDelay
4xMemory Lapse
4xForce of Will
4xTrickbind

With all the conspiracies naming the appropriate stuff.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

It didn't work.

At what point is a cut ever illegal? Did they simply decide to randomly shuffle mid game? If that was so wouldn't the shuffle be considered the first illegal act and be dealt with or is that not how things are normally handled?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Deofuta posted:

At what point is a cut ever illegal? Did they simply decide to randomly shuffle mid game? If that was so wouldn't the shuffle be considered the first illegal act and be dealt with or is that not how things are normally handled?

That's right. No one is sure exactly what Saito was thinking, and it got him a long suspension from Magic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hmm, In a format with Secrets of Paradise, Secret Summoning and Immediate Action, Village Bell-Ringer makes a lot of mana.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
It's a shame you can't name Construct with hidden conspiracies, because the ones you get from Sentinel Dispatch would love to have Secrets of Paradise and Immediate Action too.

Also, I want to see the decks that choose not to run Power Play as a metagame choice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It turns on your Gemstone Caverns to not play it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ojetor posted:

I dunno if there's an arcana, but off the top of my head:

Akroma, Angel of Wrath / Akroma, Angel of Fury
Kamahl, Pit Fighter / Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Balthor the Stout / Balthor the Defiled
Glissa Sunseeker / Glissa, the Traitor
Mikaeus the Lunarch / Mikaeus the Unhallowed

Also a bunch more well known ones like the planeswalkers changing after some particular event in the storyline (Sarkhan the Mad, Ajani Vengeant, Garruk the Veil-Cursed) or legendary creatures becoming planeswalkers (Karn, Nicol Bolas, Venser) and one going in the other direction (Xenagos).

A bit late, but I never understood why Angel of Fury didn't have haste but Angel of Wrath did.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A bit late, but I never understood why Angel of Fury didn't have haste but Angel of Wrath did.

Presumably because you're paying the Morph cost and she doesn't have summoning sickness.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

a dozen swans posted:

It's a shame you can't name Construct with hidden conspiracies, because the ones you get from Sentinel Dispatch would love to have Secrets of Paradise and Immediate Action too.

Also, I want to see the decks that choose not to run Power Play as a metagame choice.

I think it's a shame that they made them all Constructs... instead of Contraptions :getin:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
After the spoiler with the redacted looking "for the first time, XXXXX XXX XXXXX" I was hoping it was assemble your contraptions. It would have worked as a subtype for all the draft altering artifact creatures too.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cube's back baby

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You're going to have to tell us if that Jace ever gets cast, and if it draws a ragequit. What are you doing here, Jace? :psyduck:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

not convinced by Jace when your only way of casting him is Cascade Bluffs

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You splash Jace off a Cascade Bluffs? I give you an A for boldness and a D- for plausibility.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

LordSaturn posted:

You're going to have to tell us if that Jace ever gets cast, and if it draws a ragequit. What are you doing here, Jace? :psyduck:
Hey, hatedrafting is a thing too

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
He's there to reveal to cursed scroll.

Also, it is single elim.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The March Hare posted:

He's there to reveal to cursed scroll.

Also, it is single elim.

But you could reveal cards you can actually cast to the cursed scroll? I would play mountain over Jace in that deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was too lazy to do the hypergeometric whatever, so I calculated roughly a 10% chance that you actually cast Jace in a six-turn game.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cube is about being super greedy so good work.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Round 1 down, game is easy.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 5, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oh, for gently caress's sake.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The March Hare posted:

Oh my.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
How does it feel to be the world's greatest hero

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

I was too lazy to do the hypergeometric whatever, so I calculated roughly a 10% chance that you actually cast Jace in a six-turn game.

Is that the probability of drawing Jace + Bluffs in any given game? I'd also be interested in knowing how often you'll draw Jace but not the Bluffs. It doesn't matter if you don't have the mana to cast him if he's still sitting in your deck, the risk you're taking on is that you can draw a completely dead card sometimes. Then you can look at it as "well I'm probably going to win those 1 in 10 games where I cast Jace, but x in 10 games I'll be playing at -1 card if I draw Jace first".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nibble posted:

Is that the probability of drawing Jace + Bluffs in any given game? I'd also be interested in knowing how often you'll draw Jace but not the Bluffs. It doesn't matter if you don't have the mana to cast him if he's still sitting in your deck, the risk you're taking on is that you can draw a completely dead card sometimes. Then you can look at it as "well I'm probably going to win those 1 in 10 games where I cast Jace, but x in 10 games I'll be playing at -1 card if I draw Jace first".

Also the stat isn't actually how often you draw Jace+Bluffs, but Jace+Bluffs+3 mountains

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Elyv posted:

But you could reveal cards you can actually cast to the cursed scroll? I would play mountain over Jace in that deck.

The March Hare posted:

Now that's paper

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Scrubbed in round 2 but it wasn't Jace's fault :( Still felt so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nibble posted:

Roughly 2 in 10 games. So if Jace 2.0 is worth playing even if dead in 2/3 games you draw him, it's actually a worthy gamble. He's good but I don't know if he's that good without any other shuffle effects.

• Locked thread