Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So how much money does Bergdahl stand to make if he's exonerated of any wrong doing and is given free reign to sue everybody that has slandered him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

He even asked if Obama should be blamed if those Taliban dudes start killing people again. He was basically saying Gitmo detainees should be stuck there indefinitely. I was legit shocked when I saw that. :smith:
Remember John "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live" McCain?

This is actually a useful pivot point when arguing against torture specifically and Gitmo generally. If we lock someone up for seven years, torture him, and he turns out to be innocent (or ineffective or unimportant), do we release him when we learn he wasn't a terrorist? We may well have made an enemy out of some guy who just drew the short straw with regard to cousins in a war zone, but there's no reason to punish him more for that. At some point we have to stop making things worse and accept that our actions have consequences (cue American Exceptionalism rhetoric). It's either that, or waver between turning Gitmo into either a concentration camp or a lifelong resort prison, depending on how much each administration cares about international perception.

The only figures I'm finding on Gitmo re-offenders (or first-time offenders who turned terrorist post-release) are from that DNI report last year. 16.6% confirmed terrorist recidivism rate, with 12.3% additionally suspected of terrorist activity. That's actually a much better rate than our domestic prisons for Americans.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Von Sloneker posted:

edit: also, Republicans who have seen the classified data on those 5 Taliban ex-prisoners are saying they want it released, so I assume the political hay has only begun to be made.

They're saying it because they know it won't happen, or by the time it does, this will have been forgotten.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
He should've suggested selling arms to the Taliban.

Did anyone have the misfortune to catch Hannity, because hoo boy

War Criminal Oliver North posted:

I have the real story about Bergdahl tonight on Hannity. HINT: It's not the White House version.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is such a weird story, because there's clearly a lot of details missing with Bergdahl, but it's impossible to believe anything coming from the right wing because they are chronically full of poo poo. It's like the boy who cried poo poo-wolf that maybe there's actually something there, but you don't know what to believe.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

pacerhimself posted:

This is such a weird story, because there's clearly a lot of details missing with Bergdahl, but it's impossible to believe anything coming from the right wing because they are chronically full of poo poo. It's like the boy who cried poo poo-wolf that maybe there's actually something there, but you don't know what to believe.

It's really kind of a non-issue in my opinion. Whether he deserted or not is completely irrelevant and I'm glad he's not a POW any more either way. This poo poo is all over my facebook and all I can think is whatever, let established military justice work it out.

I could see the taliban prisoners we released as being an issue but those guys are probably either completely broken or under surveillance to the point where if they tried to contact anyone remotely connected then we'd be all over them.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't know how the average American who doesn't consume right-wing media thinks about Bergdahl, but I would bet they think it's kind of petty and hosed up how he's being treated. Now I could be wrong but criticizing Obama over this surely can't be a clear win for the GOP...

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I don't know how the average American who doesn't consume right-wing media thinks about Bergdahl, but I would bet they think it's kind of petty and hosed up how he's being treated. Now I could be wrong but criticizing Obama over this surely can't be a clear win for the GOP...

It never is, the GOP has the amazing ability to rip defeat from the jaws of victory. They will always and forever lose through shear incompetence and infighting. This is no better shown that the fact the republicans have had the gerry mander the gently caress out of every state they can to keep seats despite the actual majority thinking they are full of poo poo. If the GOP continues on it's course of self destruction they might get to keep the house, but when it comes to national politics the democrats will always come out on top.

Greatest example of this is their focus on poo poo like this and Bengazhi, it's a losing issue for them the more they run it into the ground.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

I wonder, (like many other right wing talking points) how much of this is due to the GOP trying to make a political statement, and how much it is FOX, etc., driving the narrative in an attempt to "rile up the crazies" (as one FOX staffer put it) to get ratings for the n-thousandth time.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 5, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Alexzandvar posted:

It never is, the GOP has the amazing ability to rip defeat from the jaws of victory. They will always and forever lose through shear incompetence and infighting. This is no better shown that the fact the republicans have had the gerry mander the gently caress out of every state they can to keep seats despite the actual majority thinking they are full of poo poo. If the GOP continues on it's course of self destruction they might get to keep the house, but when it comes to national politics the democrats will always come out on top.

Greatest example of this is their focus on poo poo like this and Benghazi, it's a losing issue for them the more they run it into the ground.

With this story, it isn't even ripping defeat from victory, it's stepping in a hole of one's own creation. Everything does not have to be political, but the Republicans can't let Obama have anything. So, they try to turn something harmlessly positive into a partisan story, and it predictably blows up in their face.

In the long run, the Republicans are slowly shaving away percentage points of the national electorate every time they pull this poo poo. Eventually, the vast majority of the country will be Democrats and whatever the blue dog Democrats turn into, or the Greens, or something else. The Republican brand name will basically be the far-right huckster party.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I wonder, (like many other right wing talking points) how much of this is due to the GOP trying to make a political statement, and how much it is FOX, etc., driving the narrative in an attempt to "rile up the crazies" (as one FOX stagger put it) to get ratings for the n-thousandth time.

It's a combination of both. Fox and the right-wing media control the Republican party now, and Roger Ailes is so paranoid, he can't let anything go. Therefore, Fox helps create the narrative about Bergdahl, pushes it out 24/7, then all these Republican politicians have to go back and delete their tweets supporting the release of an American POW. Fox gets to bully everyone else around and be the power broker, and when the narrative inevitably collapses because it's horseshit (as it's doing right now!), the Republicans will get the brunt of the criticism. Meanwhile, among the conservative base, they'll only support Fox even more ravenously while being angry about those squish politicians who didn't stand up to Obama and an American POW. Fox always wins in the game they're playing, the Republicans always lose in the game they're playing.

The larger problem with this whole situation, and this gets to the fact that Bergdahl's hometown is overrun with angry death threats from conservatives is that the die-hard conservatives are just getting crazier from the right-wing media bubble they can surround themselves with. They will act crazy, it will drive away anyone more sane than them, until the party is just a bunch of paranoid gun nuts talking gibberish to themselves.

You ever see those studies on how Republican congressmen feel their district is way more conservative than it actually is? That comes from getting a constant stream of letters that breaks down like this: 15% of actual people wanting actual things, 40% of conservative email forwards, 15% mailing lists, 10% of bizarre demands (some guy wants to tell racist jokes on the local news and they won't let him, no matter how many times he comes to the station, why won't you help), 10% of gun nuts sending vaguely menacing threats, and 10% of lunatic conspiracy theories (Barack Obama is secretly a lizard, and someone in your district can prove it with pictures of his feces). The mass conservative movement, outside of the connected and the donors, to the actual politicians, is loving CRAZY.

The long-term impact of Bowe Bergdahl is probably going to be more and more military turning against the Republican party, and conservatives being utterly confused as to why. Just like how women are turning against the Republican party, or young people, or anyone darker than 'Klan member in winter'. And conservatives will be utterly confused as to why.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

It's really kind of a non-issue in my opinion. Whether he deserted or not is completely irrelevant and I'm glad he's not a POW any more either way. This poo poo is all over my facebook and all I can think is whatever, let established military justice work it out.

I could see the taliban prisoners we released as being an issue but those guys are probably either completely broken or under surveillance to the point where if they tried to contact anyone remotely connected then we'd be all over them.

Those guys were members of the Taliban Government of Afghanistan prior to the establishment of the Interim government. Two military staff officers, one deputy chief of intelligence, one interior minister, and one provincial governor (who ordered forces in his province to lay down their arms and surrender when the Americans arrived). All of them have records of good behavior for their time at Gitmo. All of them were recognized and their release requested by the current Government of Afghanistan. The "Crimes against humanity" they're accused of revolve around their fighting the militia forces of Northern Alliance Warlord Abdul Rashid Dostum -who incidentally fought on the side of the Soviets against the Mujahadeen during the Soviet-Afghan war, and against the Taliban through-out the 90s, so it's not like they just chose to ethnically cleanse him-.

One of the men had a brother who had a neighbor who was trained by Al Qaeda. One of them was arrested for having and using icom radios (those cheap-o mini-walkie-talkies you can buy at any electronics section of any department store). This Taliban Five crap is pure bluster. They were found during Bush's tribunal/review to meet Bush's definition of enemy combatant on account of the fact that when the review was conducted, the legitimate government they had worked for when they were captured no longer existed.

These are not Mullah Omar and Osama Bin Ladin's right-hand men. These are not blood thirsty AQ members who can't wait to get revenge. The only disciplinary issues they had in Gitmo were doing PT in their cells and going on hunger strike.

This whole reaction is pissing me off. In SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) training, the biggest thing they wanted us to take away was to never break faith, to always trust that our government would do anything and everything in its power to get us back.

It's the basis for the code of conduct, and for a POW may be the only hope they have.

I'm very disturbed about what message this Republican response sends: That the words "You are not forgotten" and "we will do everything to get you back" that we preach and believe and ask our soldiers to trust in if they are captured don't apply unless the soldier is a perfect clean upstanding recruitment poster service member who toes the (Republican) party line and whole-heartedly supports the war no matter what.

It smells like a fascistic ideological purge of the military, and I would bet dollars to donuts that's exactly what would happen if they got back into power.

Oh yeah, and I'm not one to throw around the H-word very often, but whatever Bergdahl did before he got captured, he kept faith, resisted his captors and repeatedly tried to escape over the last five years. That makes him a hero.

Having been one, I can say that an Infantry PFC doesn't know poo poo about poo poo, so he was worthless as an intel source despite what the rumors of his disgruntled peers say and blaming him for ambushes and bombs is just ignorant pissed off people trying to find a reason for random poo poo happening. If it wasn't Bergdahl, it would've been that Haji goat herder squatting on the side of the mountain every day looking at them "funny".

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Abdul Rashid Dostum himself is a huge shithead. He stuffed Taliban captives, many of whom were conscripts that willingly threw down their arms, into metal shipping containers, suffocating 2,000 of them. And of course he's now insanely rich thanks to the US.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Can you be on the Sunday talk shows this week instead of Bill Kristol and the rest of those nitwits? tia

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Abdul Rashid Dostum himself is a huge shithead. He stuffed Taliban captives, many of whom were conscripts that willingly threw down their arms, into metal shipping containers, suffocating 2,000 of them. And of course he's now insanely rich thanks to the US.

Well, at least he's our shithead.

Or the shithead of whoever happens to be in charge and isn't the Taliban. Which is still kind of us.

:911:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, at least he's our shithead.

Or the shithead of whoever happens to be in charge and isn't the Taliban. Which is still kind of us.

:911:

And until we decide he's not, at which point his atrocities are shocking and deplorable, a clear causus belli to liberate the people from this monster.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

http://news.yahoo.com/mcchrystal-on-bergdahl---we-don-t-leave-americans-behind--that-s-unequivocal-193638795.html

Thank you, General McChrystal.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/06/04/slenderman-behind-online-monster-cited-in-wisconsin-stabbing-report/

quote:

LOS ANGELES – On Saturday, two 12-year-old girls in Waukesha, Wisconsin were arrested on charges of attempted first-degree murder for luring a fellow classmate into the woods, where they allegedly held her down and stabbed her 19 times.

Court documents revealed that the suspects may have been motivated by their obsession with an Internet creation called Slenderman.

“Some say I’m evil, but all I ever wanted was (a) friend. I think that a few dozen casualties are to be expected during the quest for friendship,” reads the “About” description of Slenderman (also known as The Slender Man) on the character’s public figure Facebook page, which has well over one million likes.

The criminal complaint says the two girls were trying to become something called a “proxy of Slender” by murdering someone.

So what is the ghoulish Slenderman and where did it come from?

In June 2009 in a “paranormal pictures” Photoshop contest on the website Something Awful, user Victor Surge (real name Eric Knudsen) posted images of a child-stalking creation he called “Slender Man.” Fellow Something Awful community members latched on to the creature, and Slenderman went viral.

The popular meme is most often portrayed as a tall, lanky and faceless figure in a black suit with the tentacles protruding from his back. The character is known by its online followers to cause “memory loss, insomnia, paranoia, and coughing fits” and is routinely depicted to stalk and traumatize people, particularly minors.

Since its inception five years ago, Slenderman has inspired everything from fan art, illustrations, and 3D puzzles to a mockumentary similar to the1999 DIY horror movie “The Blair Witch Project.”

In 2012, filmmaker AJ Meadows raised over $11,000 on crowd-funding site Kickstarter to make the movie based on the “legend.” It was made available to stream on YouTube in early 2012 and amassed 500,000 views in less than three weeks before being removed from the Web two months later amid copyright issues.

Indeed Slenderman’s ownership is a source of legal contention, given that Knudson is often accredited as its creator, although an unidentified third party reportedly owns the rights to media adaptations.

Slenderman’s fans have been quick to hit back at the character’s critics. Sean Stacey, the owner and operator of fan site Unfiction, insisted that the character is in no way responsible for the actions of the Wisconsin girls.

“It’s pretty clear (they) are a couple of disturbed individuals who had their own issues. It’s (not right) to blame that external muse,” he told FOX411. “It reminds me of things like John Hinckley Jr. thinking that assassinating President Reagan would impress Jody Foster into going out with him. This is a crazy individual that has concocted some reasoning in his head that seemed reasonable to him but not to an outsider. There is no incitement of people in mythos itself to get people to do anything other than try to get away from Slenderman should they encounter him.”

The Slenderman Facebook page is still being updated with images of corpse brides and Satan worship quotes, although the page did acknowledge that one “must be stupid” to commit the girls’ alleged crime. The Wisconsin tragedy has also sparked lively debate in an array of related Internet threads and communities.

An administrator for the website Creepypasta Wiki –a community database for chilling short stories designed to make it seem as though they are news items or true crime stories – also defended the Slenderman character following the attack, writing that “all works presented on this wiki and other sites (including Slenderman) are fictional stories and characters.” The admin went on to condemn the ensuing public outcry to “censor” and shut down the site.

Representative of the Creepypasta Community even launched a crowd-sourced fundraiser on YouCaring.com to raise $10,000 for the stabbing victim over the next month.

“It’s our goal to get her through this tragic time so she can live a full, long life” reads the campaign. “We, as the Creepypasta Community wish to save this girl’s life and prove that the community is made up of strong, sane individuals and not those depicted from the suspects. All proceeds will go directly to the family for medical expenses and court expenses. We are standing together to show that we can overcome this tragedy.”

As of Wednesday morning, it had 45 supporters had raised $370.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This is a thing which is going to happen.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
He should try to make the interview about Benghazi.

REMEMBER VILERAT.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

BBJoey posted:

No loving way

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Spacedad posted:

REMEMBER VILERAT.

Unironically this!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So how much money does Bergdahl stand to make if he's exonerated of any wrong doing and is given free reign to sue everybody that has slandered him?

I hope it is all the money.

I have to say though, Bergdahl is responsible for greatest amount of political satire this year yet, if we count war criminals saying the darnedest things as political satire, which I fear we must given the state of the political landscape.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Don't read the comments.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Spacedad posted:

REMEMBER VILERAT.

Yeah the slenderman is a pretty messed up story that we made up. I heard you guys like making messed up stories as well...

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

My Q-Face posted:

Those guys were members of the Taliban Government of Afghanistan prior to the establishment of the Interim government. Two military staff officers, one deputy chief of intelligence, one interior minister, and one provincial governor (who ordered forces in his province to lay down their arms and surrender when the Americans arrived). All of them have records of good behavior for their time at Gitmo. All of them were recognized and their release requested by the current Government of Afghanistan. The "Crimes against humanity" they're accused of revolve around their fighting the militia forces of Northern Alliance Warlord Abdul Rashid Dostum -who incidentally fought on the side of the Soviets against the Mujahadeen during the Soviet-Afghan war, and against the Taliban through-out the 90s, so it's not like they just chose to ethnically cleanse him-.

One of the men had a brother who had a neighbor who was trained by Al Qaeda. One of them was arrested for having and using icom radios (those cheap-o mini-walkie-talkies you can buy at any electronics section of any department store). This Taliban Five crap is pure bluster. They were found during Bush's tribunal/review to meet Bush's definition of enemy combatant on account of the fact that when the review was conducted, the legitimate government they had worked for when they were captured no longer existed.

These are not Mullah Omar and Osama Bin Ladin's right-hand men. These are not blood thirsty AQ members who can't wait to get revenge. The only disciplinary issues they had in Gitmo were doing PT in their cells and going on hunger strike.

Do you have a source for this? I'm not challenging you; I'd like to cite it elsewhere. Thanks. Finally found a decent reference.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Less than from the book deal that I hope he's negotiating as we speak.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Now I could be wrong but criticizing Obama over this surely can't be a clear win for the GOP...

As much as I want to see the right get a bloody nose for smearing a POW, I don't think it'll actually happen. They've quickly focused the narrative on the idea that he's a deserter, so he's not technically one of Our Troops. In fact he got Our Troops killed and Terrorists released!

After they establish that Bergdahl is a Soldier In Name Only, they can trash him (and Obama by proxy) more or less without consequence. It's disgusting.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

moths posted:

As much as I want to see the right get a bloody nose for smearing a POW, I don't think it'll actually happen. They've quickly focused the narrative on the idea that he's a deserter, so he's not technically one of Our Troops. In fact he got Our Troops killed and Terrorists released!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Time has been bitching about him since the day after it was announced. They are a poo poo heap rag unless this like is that National Geographic about evolution where the next page was just a big NO (although in this case YES).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BBJoey posted:

This is a great day for somethingawful.com

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BBJoey posted:

:munch:

Please for the love of all that is holy someone find this online.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

This is as bad as when ABC Nightly News declared that Congress was going to vote to, "leave our troops high and dry!" when a bill was introduced to cut funding for the Iraq Occupation. I think it was around 2007 and the anchor directly implied that cutting funding would mean that the weapons and armor of the soldiers would vanish like magic and they would be left behind to get beheaded. No orderly withdrawal, just the wanton slaughter of our troops because Evil Congress cut funding.

gently caress you, TIME.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Roger Ailes must masturbate furiously each and every time he sees how easily he can make the entirety of US media jump through whatever hoops he chooses to make.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

Roger Ailes must masturbate furiously each and every time he sees how easily he can make the entirety of US media jump through whatever hoops he chooses to make.

Time has been doing lovely articles since before Ailes was born.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

beefnoodle posted:

Do you have a source for this? I'm not challenging you; I'd like to cite it elsewhere. Thanks.

I hate to break all wikipedia on you, but each individual's page on here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban_Five

That page is fresh and new, so it's probably yet to be de-biased and the other pages are changing by the day or even hour as this goes on. Looking at each individual page though, the two "staff officers" I mentioned have conflicting information as to whether they were actually uniformed military or not. Each definitely worked for the Afghan security forces prior to the invasion though.

Mohammad Fazl, Politician/Army Chief of Staff: Deputy Defense Minister[and/or] Chief of Staff of the Afghan Army prior to the American invasion. One of the Staff Officers.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Fazl

Mullah Mohammad Fazl is the Taliban's former Deputy Defense Minister and was held in the Guantanamo Bay detention camps in Cuba after being classified as an enemy combatant by the United States. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number is 7. He arrived at the Guantanamo detention camps on 11 January 2002, and was held there until 31 May 2014.

Not much is known about Fazl, except that he served as the deputy defense minister under the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan

Although he negotiated an amnesty with the Afghan Northern Alliance leader Abdul Rashid Dostum, it is alleged that he is responsible for killing thousands of Shi'a Afghans between 1996 and late 2001

Mohammed Fazl's Guantanamo identity portrait -- the white uniform shows he is considered "compliant"

Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa, Politician: Various postings including Governor of Herat province

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khairullah_Khairkhwa

Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa is a Taliban official and former governor of Herat. Press reports have referred to him as "Mullah" and "Maulavi", two different honorifics for referring to senior Muslim clerics. [Also, any sufficiently religious elder who has completed the Hajj can be called Mullawi]

He held various government posts, both before the Taliban took over Afghanistan, including a police official in Kabul, and finally, Governor of Herat Province.

Khirullah was one of the original Taliban members who launched the movement in 1994.

Khairullah Khairkhwah was the Minister of the Interior under Taliban rule in 1997 and 1998.

Some reports have said he had been the Taliban's deputy minister of the interior, interim minister of the interior, the minister of the interior, and the Minister of Information.

Khirullah was also to serve as the Taliban's Minister of Foreign Affairs spokesman, giving interviews to the British Broadcasting Corporation and the Voice of America.

In early 2011 president Hamid Karzai demanded his release and Hekmat Karzai, the director of the Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies in Kabul said "His release will be influential to the peace process," and that "Mr Khairkhwa is well respected amongst the Taliban and was considered a moderate by those who knew him".

Norullah Noori, Politician: Governor of Balkh Province.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norullah_Noori

Norullah Noori was the Governor of Balkh Province.

Fareeda Kuchi Balkhi, a Kuchi nomad tribeswoman, who ran as a candidate for the Wolesi Jirga in 2005, described her delivery of a list of 1000 Kuchi stranded in an impromptu refugee camp to then Governor of Balkh Noori as the beginning of her political activism in 1998.

In the fall of 2001, when the United States, allied with the Northern Alliance, and other anti-Taliban forces, started to use military force to seek out al Qaeda, Noori was one Taliban leader who is reported to have directed the Taliban fighters in his province to lay down their weapons and surrender.

Fareeda told Carlotta Gall, of the New York Times that Noori accepted her list, and forwarded to humanitarian agencies, and aid did arrive.

The allegations used to justify his detention in Guantanamo asserted he was an interim Provincial Governor of Jalalabad, temporary governor of Mazar-e-Sharif and Governor of Balkh Province.

Norullah Noori wears the white uniform issued to compliant captives

Mohammad Nabi Omari, bureaucrat or politician: a minor Taliban official in Khost Province.

He was a minor functionary, whether a bureaucrat, bodyguard or council member, there isn't much else about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Nabi

Abdul Haq Wasiq, [Military or Civil (??) position within Afghan FBI equivalent] Deputy Minister of Intelligence

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Haq_Wasiq

Detention Memo posted:

The detainee is associated with al Qaida and the Taliban.
1 The detainee in a letter to his brother, included greetings to an al Qaida member.
2 The detainee was the Taliban Deputy Minister of Intelligence.
3 The detainee used a radio to communicate with the Taliban Chief of Intelligence.

[As a note, he was a "Deputy Minister of Intelligence" working for their version of the FBI, so a deputy director in Kabul]

The detainee served as Deputy Minister of Intelligence in the Taliban Intelligence Service.

The detainee served as acting Minister of Intelligence when Qari Ahmadullah was away from Kabul performing his duties as governor of Tahar province

The detainee was a participant in military operation in Konduz. [Note, many of them were accused of this, but the accuser is Dostum so take that for what you will.]

Detainee used Icom radios and provided information on communications security procedures within the Taliban Intelligence Department

At the time of his capture, the detainee claims he was attempting to assist the U.S. in capturing Mullah Mohammed Omar. He claims if the Americans had not arrested him, then they might have captured Mullah Mohammed Omar and the detainee's superior, Qari Ahmadullah, head of Taliban Intelligence.

Detainee has very few citations, primarily for non-aggressive infractions including physical training in cell, leading prayer; making excessive noise; and periodically refusing medications, food, and showers.

All of the information in the articles is sourced, much of it to DOD or other sources.

Undoubtedly four of the five had some intelligence value when they were captured, likely considerable value. However, that's all evaporated, and Admin reviews of each one show consistantly compliant behavior.

I won't editorialize on the Combatant Status Review Tribunals, other than :rant:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

My Q-Face posted:

I hate to break all wikipedia on you, but each individual's page on here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban_Five

Thanks, you must have been compiling this while I was editing my post :)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, you must have been compiling this while I was editing my post :)

:) There were a few other sources I found information by googling their names over the last few days, but everything has been saturated with the Taliban Five nonsense since then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No no, Hitler was just the most influential man in 1938. And you can't argue with that! He was definitely influential, and Time magazine was in no way tickled that finally someone was standing up and telling the truth about the blacks and the Jews.

Oh did I say "truth"? I meant uh, not that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
(Apologies if I posted this already)

There is at least one pastor giving sermons about how Wonder Showzen (formerly Kid's Show) is a satanic, demonic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdOGsWq9oM

He is completely serious, there is no trolling at all. He believes this poo poo and wants others to believe it and to do something to combat it. There are church congregations like this all around America.