Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Genpei Turtle posted:

WinUAE can be kind of a pain to use and configure on its own without a proper frontend. FS-UAE I've had a lot better luck with.

Hell, for DOSBOX I basically use D Fend Reloaded and set up two default DOS layouts to autoload just to make it fun and simple to DOS it.

One for Tandy Graphics, one for normal DOS stuff.

poo poo, sometimes its loving easier just to use my actual loving DOS machine!

See a big point of this thread is to make it about GAMING with these old computers. Having a good time. FUN.

For some folks figuring out how to make an emulator work right or to get old and obnoxious hardware to do what you want is fun. And I salute these folks.

For others like me?

I JUST WANT PUSH BUTAN AND PLAY GAEME! :neckbeard:

The guy behind the Floppy Days podcast has even voiced on his show the thought of making a beginner's book covering all the old micros in a way that just tells you the basic and important poo poo you need to get playing and rocking out. Like a bunch of quickstarts and the like. Kind of like the OPs to this thread I made but with more hands on instructions.

I can really appreciate this as I basically had to figure out how to use my Atari 8 bits through dumb luck, questions, and maybe things being in huge manuals.

Old machines aren't exactly user friendly.

Hell, I basically laughed when I figured out why my Atari 800 wasn't working. BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE CARTRIDGE LID CLOSED AND LOCKED IN OTHERWISE IT TURNS OFF THE POWER.

Its silly but there you go. The machine outsmarted me in the attempt to keep 1979 users from breaking their 1000 dollars in Carter era money computer!

poo poo, ask Mechwarrior Online Word of Lowtax players what we all used to do in the game. We in the year 2012-13 were getting people to drop out through GET THIRD PERSON MODE BY PRESSING ALT F4.

If stuff like that works NOW I mean cmon.. make it simple and easy peasy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you use OSX Boxer is a pretty awesome application for dosbox, I'm not sure if a Windows equivalent exists. Hasn't been updated since 2012 but read the blog to make it "work" and supposedly it is updating soon http://boxerapp.com/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

WinUAE can be kind of a pain to use and configure on its own without a proper frontend. FS-UAE I've had a lot better luck with.

I can (kinda) see where it would be a pain once you start getting into virtual hard drives and trying to actually run the AmigaOS, but for playing A500 games it's dead easy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just got this in the mail today, sadly no manual but it works great. I was one of the many, many American kids who played this thing in school and have been searching for a copy for ages. Dat cover art :stare:

EDIT: Does anyone know how to clear the saves? It's full of other people's gravestones and high scores and stuff.

STRANGERS

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

d0s posted:

Just got this in the mail today, sadly no manual but it works great. I was one of the many, many American kids who played this thing in school and have been searching for a copy for ages. Dat cover art :stare:

EDIT: Does anyone know how to clear the saves? It's full of other people's gravestones and high scores and stuff.

Aw man yes, high five fellow creepy cover Oregon Trail owner! My favorite part is the raccoon who is very interested in what's going on in the game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Rufus posted:

Quarex: I am pretty sure Joe Chiodo wouldn't be willing to sell, and I wouldn't be capable of affording it. Now a poster or a 10-20 dollar print? That I could manage.
Oh, good on you knowing the artist's name already! And yeah, man, I tried talking to the guy who did the Sword of Aragon artwork and found he had sold the original a couple of years before I got to him, and when he offered to sell me some of his rough sketches and stuff and I was like "have you ever thought about doing prints?" he never responded. Well, now, to be fair, I bet the market for Sword of Aragon prints would be pretty small, but there would definitely be a market for this stuff. How do those rights work? Surely the original artist could sell prints of the original art as long as the game name was not on it? Well, maybe not so "surely."

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Awesomonster posted:

My favorite part is the raccoon who is very interested in what's going on in the game.

I don't know if the fact that it's probably taxidermy makes the picture more or less bizarre.

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2014

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Quarex posted:

Oh, good on you knowing the artist's name already! And yeah, man, I tried talking to the guy who did the Sword of Aragon artwork and found he had sold the original a couple of years before I got to him, and when he offered to sell me some of his rough sketches and stuff and I was like "have you ever thought about doing prints?" he never responded. Well, now, to be fair, I bet the market for Sword of Aragon prints would be pretty small, but there would definitely be a market for this stuff. How do those rights work? Surely the original artist could sell prints of the original art as long as the game name was not on it? Well, maybe not so "surely."

I've seen a lot of artists sell their original art even if it is from a work for hire or licensed property.

But I went to the artist's website and he doesn't mention prints at all.

http://www.joechiodo.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=20735&Ti=Roadwar

And the store linked to is mostly original art from a lot of bigger named commercial artists. Chiodo's only art there is 1500 bucks.

I'm... not exactly in that level of market. I am not even sure if I would pay that for the original art of Ultima 5 and that is probably my favorite game art cover even if Roadwar is the coolest/best in a semi ironic manner.

Now like I said.. 10-25ish dollar prints/posters? I am all about that for the art I love the most.

But to add some other content to this post:

What do folks think about also collecting cluebooks/strategy guides for their games?

In many cases I find them essential, and not just to complete the game as usually Gamefaqs covers that.

The original artwork, excellent maps, great interviews or fluff about the in game universe. There is a reason why many Ultima cluebooks cost so much.
(Even if the best walkthroughs for Origin games were usually in Quest for Clues compilations. Pix' Origin Adventures has a lot of them to look at. Also
much of QfC came from Questbusters: http://questbusters3.yolasite.com/ )

Its hilarious to read interviews with developers and see what they were planning and what actually happened.

And sometimes they are great collectibles on their own. The problem is many games kind of make me want the cluebook to go with them!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

What do folks think about also collecting cluebooks/strategy guides for their games?

I really like the older Nintendo Power guides and have an embarrassing amount of them, even the general system guides for stuff like the SNES and Game Boy are great. Can't think of many computer ones I'd want, aside from the Ork (Amiga game) "solution" book, but that's for practical reasons (the game is nearly impossible without it). Mostly I just print out textfiles from back then which served the same purpose :geno:

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 4, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Rufus posted:

The InvisiClues books for Infocom games were cool, if only because they often had red herring `plotlines' that ran through them to prevent someone browsing for a specific puzzle from accidentally spoiling themselves. That's kinda useless from a collector standpoint, though, as you'd have to expose the clues to read them (the clues were printed with invisible ink which could be exposed with a marker included with the book), which probably greatly reduces the collector value.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

d0s posted:

In the US this is different, lots of people have Mac nostalgia because they were in most of our public schools, whereas Amigas were mostly used for TV production work, and were rarely seen in schools or homes. The first Amiga I ever saw was an A2500 with a Video Toaster in my high school's TV production lab. In the 1980's I think the A1000 did pretty well as a general purpose/gaming machine but soon faded into obscurity here, and the A500/2000 sold only to hardcore people/video people in the A2000's case. Our computer culture was heavily into the PC standard at the time and lots of publications warned people against deviating from it. Combine that with a big console game culture but a kind of underground/older computer game culture (pretty much the opposite of what was going on in Europe) and you have a recipe for disaster for the Amiga. It wasn't a case of kids having something different in their bedrooms, it was a case of most kids simply not having a computer in their bedrooms period (but typically having a NES or similar).

I was lucky enough to have found a NTSC A1000 and A500 at a flea market here in the late 90's, and later even an Escom NTSC A1200 at a thrift store. But there was seriously nothing to do with any of them because there was just no NTSC content. I only really started having fun when I got a PAL A500, and started playing all the great Amiga games that we missed here.

I had kind of known that the Amiga wasn't as popular over there as the PC, but didn't really think the Macs were so widespread in schools. I read a few things about that now. Like I said, I don't know much about Macs, they were not very widespread here at all. It's probably the reason you get all that Mac hardware so cheap here.

Regarding NTSC/PAL.. all Amigas starting with the ECS chipset are switchable between NTSC and PAL with Kickstart 3+. Just hold down both mouse buttons (try it a few times, the window for the Amiga registering it is very small) at boot time and a Menu called "Amiga Early Startup Control" appears. There you select "Display Options" and in the new screen you can choose between PAL and NTSC. That's it. Old OCS Agnus chips could be jumpered to either NTSC or PAL on the mainboard, which was at worst depending on model a very small solder modification. Newer chips were internally hardwired to one of the standards but switchable via Hardware Register and fitting Software. I don't know off the top of my head if there's software that can switch for you with earlier Kickstarts, but I am almost certain there is somewhere. If you can't see the menu because your screen is PAL only on an NTSC machine or vise versa, you can press any key on the keyboard to switch the Menu between PAL and NTSC.

The only thing that will absolutely not work that way is the Composite out, as the Encoder Chip in newer SMD Amigas is hardwired to one or the other, but you should be using RGB anyways.

There was a hilarious bug with very old PAL games that didn't know anything about the additional ECS registers and just assumed the OCS Agnus. They would clear all registers, switching PAL machines to NTSC, making games run too fast. That's one of the examples where you can see how evil just assuming things compared with direct hardware access is. I'm glad such software isn't possible anymore.

In the same menu you can also switch AGA machines into compatibility mode for OCS or ECS, that often doesn't work really all that well though.

WHDLoad also has an option to switch between PAL and NTSC before starting a game.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 4, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

Regarding NTSC/PAL.. all Amigas starting with the ECS chipset are switchable between NTSC and PAL with Kickstart 3+. Just hold down both mouse buttons (try it a few times, the window for the Amiga registering it is very small) at boot time and a Menu called "Amiga Early Startup Control" appears. There you select "Display Options" and in the new screen you can choose between PAL and NTSC. That's it. Old OCS Agnus chips could be jumpered to either NTSC or PAL on the mainboard, which was at worst depending on model a very small solder modification. Newer chips were internally hardwired to one of the standards but switchable via Hardware Register and fitting Software. I don't know off the top of my head if there's software that can switch for you with earlier Kickstarts, but I am almost certain there is somewhere. If you can't see the menu because your screen is PAL only on an NTSC machine or vise versa, you can press any key on the keyboard to switch the Menu between PAL and NTSC.

Having an NTSC 1200, I know that it's possible to use early startup to switch to a PAL screen mode so that the display is correct, but this does not transform it into a PAL machine. Most PAL games run too fast on NTSC machines, regardless of whether the display is in PAL or NTSC mode. Sometimes, no matter what you set early startup to do, the game will revert back to the machine's native screen mode. Some games exhibit more serious problems like graphical errors because they were designed specifically for PAL systems and timing. I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why this is the case, but it was enough of a problem that I had to buy a PAL machine. I know WHDL fixes a lot of these problems, but that is miserable to run on a 1200 without an accelerator/memory expansion, and I just don't like the WHDL "experience", it feels too much like an emulator itself, and I personally like using disks, originals if possible.

EDIT: I did have a bunch of stuff running on my 1200 but it always felt hackish, the combination of NTSC and AGA made just playing games a hassle, using early startup, degrader, relokick, whdload, etc. was too annoying and the PAL A500 simplified things a lot. It becomes like a video game console, just pop the game in and go without ever having to see the OS. I write my .adf files to real disks on the 1200 with a PCMCIA CF card adapter, and play them on the 500 (unless they're AGA of course!).

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Well there is a place that has made a shitload of Amiga games into UAE executables in Windows with a couple function keys for emulation option menus and to savestate things. (No normal saving possible.)

But that would be :files: so I can't link it here. Ask me in #retrochat if you ever come by IRC way. (irc.synirc.net)

I have bought DOS ports on GOG or owned an Amiga game then played it using an executable. Win UAE can be fiddly. In some cases there are Genesis or PC ports for the early 90s era that hold up nicely. Maybe not as good but usually. Sometimes better! (And for Genesis if the game runs too fast? Go to 50hz PAL mode in your favorite emu!)
If a game comes from DOS or has a good DOS/console port you can safely assume I've played it or I'm not interested, it;s the Amiga exclusives I'm looking for. And I think I know the site you're talking about, I didn't know those allowed savestates. I'll check them.

d0s posted:

I seriously don't get what's so hard about using WinUAE that people need things like this.
I once had an older version of WinUAE that was pretty easy to run, but then the devs apparently went full demoscene/software gurus support and added a fuckton of hardware options I don't have a clue about. If I could still find that old version I wouldn't be asking.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pierzak posted:

I once had an older version of WinUAE that was pretty easy to run, but then the devs apparently went full demoscene/software gurus support and added a fuckton of hardware options I don't have a clue about. If I could still find that old version I wouldn't be asking.

All you need to do is set the quickstart config to an A500 512/512. It says (most common) next to it. That's the setup you want to to play OCS/ECS games, which are the well known Amiga games. To play AGA games just choose an A1200 and the basic configuration. You seriously never need to mess with anything else, the quickstart does everything for you. You never need to get into using the Amiga OS or anything, the system boots directly from the game floppies. Pretend your .adf files are SNES carts or something, it's that simple. I think you're seeing the crazy amount of hardware poo poo and thinking that Amigas are really complicated to game on like DOS is but its actually really simple. There's one main configuration and that's the A500 with 512k chip ram+512k slow ram. 95% of the games you want to play will work with that, and there is no benefit to using other configurations.

EDIT:

Step 1

This is what you see when you start WinUAE. Set it up the way you see here and click Start.

Step 2

Now you get the A500 booted and it's asking for your disk. Middle click to untrap your mouse and right click the taskbar icon:

Choose df0: and select the game that you are licensed to use and have totally not pirated:

Step 3

After a bit of loading (watch the place with a greyed out "63" in this image to see disk activity) your game will appear. You may have to go through a crack screen first, usually you click your left mouse button to bypass these. If the game asks you to swap disks, use the same procedure as you did before, replacing the disk in the drive with the one the game requests.

Default controls use the number pad for directions and 0 and 5 as your single joystick button. This can be changed in the configuration screen.

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 4, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

d0s posted:

Having an NTSC 1200, I know that it's possible to use early startup to switch to a PAL screen mode so that the display is correct, but this does not transform it into a PAL machine. Most PAL games run too fast on NTSC machines, regardless of whether the display is in PAL or NTSC mode. Sometimes, no matter what you set early startup to do, the game will revert back to the machine's native screen mode. Some games exhibit more serious problems like graphical errors because they were designed specifically for PAL systems and timing. I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why this is the case, but it was enough of a problem that I had to buy a PAL machine. I know WHDL fixes a lot of these problems, but that is miserable to run on a 1200 without an accelerator/memory expansion, and I just don't like the WHDL "experience", it feels too much like an emulator itself, and I personally like using disks, originals if possible.

EDIT: I did have a bunch of stuff running on my 1200 but it always felt hackish, the combination of NTSC and AGA made just playing games a hassle, using early startup, degrader, relokick, whdload, etc. was too annoying and the PAL A500 simplified things a lot. It becomes like a video game console, just pop the game in and go without ever having to see the OS. I write my .adf files to real disks on the 1200 with a PCMCIA CF card adapter, and play them on the 500 (unless they're AGA of course!).

Hm yes, you can't get a 100% correct PAL color burst with the oscillator on NTSC Mainboards. I would have not thought that it is that important for games though. Obviously I never bothered with it as I never needed it. [EDIT: I assume the timing is the foremost issue] You could make a small circuit you can connect to the video port and feed-in the correct master clock for PAL of 28.37516 Mhz via the XCLK Pin. (the amiga accepts external system clocks at it's video port, another feature for video hardware.. and well, potential overclocking [don't do this, nothing will work correctly]) Basically supply the power for the oscillator directly from the Port. (there's also a voltage Pin there) and tie XCLKEN with 100 Ohms to ground. I'm not sure where you'd get such a PAL crystal nowadays anymore though. Oh well, maybe an interesting tidbit of information for someone reading this, not really all that practical.

I can kind of understand not wanting to use WHDLoad, it's not emulation though. It properly disables the OS and gives control to the game, so it is essentially the same, it just doesn't load from a disk. I know you understand that, I just wanted to make it clear for anyone reading this who maybe doesn't. I usually load games directly from my floppy emulator too, but mostly because my 68060 often doesn't work properly with WHDLoad because of it's asynchronous timing to the chipset, causing all kinds of timing/speed issues so I have to use the original 68k. WHDLoad is still very nice for games that are CPU hungry and would not run all that well on the original CPU, though. I don't screw around with floppy disks anymore and really do not miss them, same as I don't miss CRT screens and am just fine with using my Framemeister&Dell U2711. I often experience that people who actually had to deal with the downsides of CRTs and floppies a lot feel a lot less nostalgic about them.

/\ EDIT: Also yes, WinUAE is incredibly easy to set up correctly and not hard at all. Everyone who can change graphics settings in a modern game can set up WinUAE. /\

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

The InvisiClues books for Infocom games were cool, if only because they often had red herring `plotlines' that ran through them to prevent someone browsing for a specific puzzle from accidentally spoiling themselves. That's kinda useless from a collector standpoint, though, as you'd have to expose the clues to read them (the clues were printed with invisible ink which could be exposed with a marker included with the book), which probably greatly reduces the collector value.

The worst thing about the old Invisiclues books was that the revealed text faded over time-- I think the warning in the front matter indicated somewhere between three and six months. Eventually all you're left with are pages covered with occasionally funny FAQ entries and numbered boxes covered in hilighter yellow.

For later games at least, the map feelies were very well done. Leather Goddesses of Phobos was framed as a list of hot spots of the solar system, with commentary from one of the characters in the LGOP comic, and occasional graphics drawn in that Gernsbackian style. Beyond Zork's map was huge, and looked like it was hand drawn. That kind of fell away with the shift to internal hint systems, of course.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Bieeardo posted:

For later games at least, the map feelies were very well done. Leather Goddesses of Phobos was framed as a list of hot spots of the solar system, with commentary from one of the characters in the LGOP comic, and occasional graphics drawn in that Gernsbackian style. Beyond Zork's map was huge, and looked like it was hand drawn. That kind of fell away with the shift to internal hint systems, of course.

The Leather Goddess of Phobos comic was actually needed in order to beat the game. At one point you enter a set of sewers and die repeatedly unless you have read that comic and know what to say to scare off the alligators and other nasties.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
No, I didn't mean the comic bound into the box, I meant that they gussied up the maps they included with the Invisiclues booklets. This wasn't related to the comic or the inscrutable-looking map they included in the game box.

Wish I could find the thing again. It was here on my desk for ages, after I found it in a D&D boxed set of all places.

Edit: Pic from someone's eBay auction that I got off of GIS. Best I could find, frustratingly.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I recently rummaged through some old drawers and found the Ultima 6 cloth map and the Moonstone. Couldn't open a portal to Britannia tho

EDIT: Who wants to see what Spore should have been like should try out SimEarth, you need a somewhat beefier Mac or Amiga though. I love to just watch Planets evolving from continental drift to the sentient lifeforms leaving for the stars, it's amazing how much detail they managed to fudge into it considering the technical imitations and I never managed to find a game quite like it, including lovely spore. Last time I watched radiates became sentient just to die off in a world war. These madmen. Oh also a little easter egg I once figured out: If you nuke a nanotech-city and immediately grab with the hand into the blast, you get robots as a species. They equally feel good in every biome and evolve fairly quickly, so they usually take over the planet completely. This worked with the Amiga version, with the Mac version I could never get this to work.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Police Automaton posted:

I recently rummaged through some old drawers and found the Ultima 6 cloth map and the Moonstone. Couldn't open a portal to Britannia tho

EDIT: Who wants to see what Spore should have been like should try out SimEarth, you need a somewhat beefier Mac or Amiga though. I love to just watch Planets evolving from continental drift to the sentient lifeforms leaving for the stars, it's amazing how much detail they managed to fudge into it considering the technical imitations and I never managed to find a game quite like it, including lovely spore. Last time I watched radiates became sentient just to die off in a world war. These madmen. Oh also a little easter egg I once figured out: If you nuke a nanotech-city and immediately grab with the hand into the blast, you get robots as a species. They equally feel good in every biome and evolve fairly quickly, so they usually take over the planet completely. This worked with the Amiga version, with the Mac version I could never get this to work.

Hey I have Sim Earth on the Turbografx SUPER CD ROM (squared).

Because I am either a straight baller or completely loving retarded. (I'm guessing the latter.)

I mean SNES Sim City owns the gently caress out of the computer originals after all.

Its actually funny how many superior ports the TG had. (Or at least are worth more than the computer editions.)

Shadow of the Beast. Prince of Persia. Might & Magic 3.

I still need to get Jim Power and Turrican for it.

And those Invisiclues? The IOS Infocom app actually has a version of them built into it.

I would buy it but no Beyond Zork with its quasi RPG bits. And the ones I would want otherwise all seem to be on different packs.
(Planetfall and Lurking Horror mostly. Sadly no late Infocom stuff like Zork Zero and that Mac RPG adventure thing they made.)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

I mean SNES Sim City owns the gently caress out of the computer originals after all.

Agreed, SNES Sim City is the best.

Captain Rufus posted:

Its actually funny how many superior ports the TG had.

Shadow of the Beast.
Jim Power Turrican

I don't know about the others but these are awful compared to their Amiga versions. Ports of Amiga games to the 16 bit consoles really kind of suck. Just because crazy people pay more for a particular version doesn't make it better.

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 4, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Shadow of the Beast was always awful in all its forms. Psygnosis couldn't even be bothered spelling their own name right in the C64 version

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prenton posted:

Shadow of the Beast was always awful in all its forms.

Really can't argue with that, it's not a good game at all. The ports didn't exactly help it though.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Prenton posted:

Shadow of the Beast was always awful in all its forms. Psygnosis couldn't even be bothered spelling their own name right in the C64 version

you shut your whore mouth and never open it again.

But seriously, shadow of the beast was amazing eyecandy when I first saw it, the title melody also was awesome. (it still is) The game was so-so, it was brutally difficult in parts, quite unfairly so, but that was not an especially rare thing back then, it was more the rule if anything to make games artificially longer. It was mostly eyecandy and also ok gameplay-wise like for example watch dogs now is, not more, not less. You think anybody is going to talk favorably about watch dogs' gameplay in 25 years?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Rufus posted:

At some point it occurred to me that the ephemera from these classic games in a lot of ways is a more powerful nostalgia talisman than the games themselves--having the original box is always awesome, but having the map from Ultima III framed or the robot miniatures from 2400 A.D. hanging around the gaming table is even more awesome.

Also, whoa, Might & Magic III on Turbografx 16. There are so many game series that showed up on platforms I never would have expected and provided a fascinating alternate history, haha. I still hear about how nightmarish Ultima VI on the Super Nintendo was.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quarex posted:

At some point it occurred to me that the ephemera from these classic games in a lot of ways is a more powerful nostalgia talisman than the games themselves--having the original box is always awesome, but having the map from Ultima III framed or the robot miniatures from 2400 A.D. hanging around the gaming table is even more awesome.

Also, whoa, Might & Magic III on Turbografx 16. There are so many game series that showed up on platforms I never would have expected and provided a fascinating alternate history, haha. I still hear about how nightmarish Ultima VI on the Super Nintendo was.

Do you mean Ultima VII? Because that was really bad. Ultima VI wasn't as bad a port--though you'd have to be nuts to play an Ultima game on a console vs a computer (especially IV and V since they relied so heavily on detective work through manually entered dialogue) Ultima VI on SNES at least attempted to account for the keyword system, and had a larger viewport than the PC version. Actually that's the same reason the later Wizardries aren't so hot on console either--like the port of Wizardry VI for SNES where as soon as you try to "talk" to an NPC your characters immediately rattle off all the keywords that you'd normally need to think to enter when playing it normally.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
TG 16 Shadow bad? NOPE. It makes a game that is little more than a tech demo into an actual FUN GAME.

Genesis/Amiga

Turbo Super CDROM. Not so much of parallax but sprites have lots of colors.

Expanded HP bar options so you can start with 15 instead of 12? Up to 5 continues? :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98phigEPEk And that music. OH SWEET YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3b4h-MUjGo And a comparison video of some of the editions.

And Police Automaton: Two words: DRAGON'S LAIR.

There are people who still insist that POS is a good game and that they love it. One of the first retrogaming podcasts (Retrogaming Radio by Shane Monroe) absolutely loves that thing.

Then again, people like Visual Novels like Snatcher and I loving LOATHE those nongames.

Different people enjoy different things.

VVVV Its a mixture of a niche system and the rich megacollectors all being mostly done making GBS threads up Nintendo collecting so they moved on to the TG.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 5, 2014

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I sold a sealed copy of Might & Magic III a few years back for under $40. After looking at ebay prices, I kind of hate myself right now. Same with Vasteel. What the hell is going on with TG prices? I know drat well M&M III isn't rare. TZD was selling them NIB nearly up until they closed shop. I mean, look at this poo poo. For just the loving instruction manual?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh goodness a new pce game to play I'm so excited I can't contain myself. Any other weird games that had great console ports? Honestly never heard of this game until just now

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Ugh, I sold a sealed copy of Might & Magic III a few years back for under $40. After looking at ebay prices, I kind of hate myself right now. Same with Vasteel. What the hell is going on with TG prices? I know drat well M&M III isn't rare. TZD was selling them NIB nearly up until they closed shop. I mean, look at this poo poo. For just the loving instruction manual?

Retro console game prices are just out of control in general. Nostalgia-fueled young adults with money to burn and all that driving the cost up. There's a used game shop around where I live that's selling loose NES carts--and not rare ones--for $60+ each. A complete in beaten-up box Metroid was going for more than $100. poo poo's crazy.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Retro console game prices are just out of control in general. Nostalgia-fueled young adults with money to burn and all that driving the cost up. There's a used game shop around where I live that's selling loose NES carts--and not rare ones--for $60+ each. A complete in beaten-up box Metroid was going for more than $100. poo poo's crazy.
There was a time when retrogaming was my cheap, go-to hobby when I needed a break from my vintage audiophile hobby. They've completely switched places now.:cry:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Genpei Turtle posted:

Even stranger, I bought a bunch of homebrew tg16/dc games and they're worth 2-3x their value since they're out of print and quite honestly they're all horrible games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Holy poo poo I feel like I just experienced a religious conversion watching that Shadow of the Beast-on-every-system video. That game ... it is ... on its best systems, it is like a work of art, and one of the few retro platformers that seems to stand up stylistically with today's best platformers.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Do you mean Ultima VII? Because that was really bad. Ultima VI wasn't as bad a port--
I think I did mean to type VII. Well, I should say, normally I knew it was VII but earlier today I may have gotten confused. I do not even think the earlier games got console ports though other than Exodus ... did they?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The thing about Beast is it feels like it was made by people who have no idea how to make a good action game. It's not the difficulty (memorizing it's patterns isn't exactly hard), it's the game structure. The graphics and music are very beautiful and are really the only reason I own (a budget release of) the Amiga version.

EDIT: But the awesome-tech-demo part of it is completely lost on other systems which is why I don't really get the ports. They take all the "gee whiz" out of a game that's all about that.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quarex posted:

I think I did mean to type VII. Well, I should say, normally I knew it was VII but earlier today I may have gotten confused. I do not even think the earlier games got console ports though other than Exodus ... did they?

Oh yeah. Ultima IV got ported to the Master System and NES, Ultima V on the NES, and even The Savage Empire got a SNES port. All of them were terrible, though some had some nice features like NES U4's ability to simultaneously equip melee and missile weapons and target squares outside of cardinal directions.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Ultima VII, like so many games from around that time, was finally "DOS only". The era of "home computers" came to an end.

Cool music also in that game. It's a good benchmark for OPL3 sound authenticity. Every chip that isn't at least a very good clone or offers authentic OPL3 comparable with the Yamaha YMF262 (a very, very far relative of the C64s SID btw.!) will sound atrocious with that game. This was also the era of the Sound Blaster which by all means are terrible soundcards compared to offerings of other manufacturers. Still somehow, they won out because of their very early lead, cost cutting measures and great marketing. (who DIDN'T have a sound blaster? People with no soundcards, that's who. Marketing was so good that even today people think these cards were good) Creative Labs is a terrible company.

Also sounds good with an MT-32, although I prefer the synth bleeping in games such as this for nostalgia purposes.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 5, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Police Automaton posted:

(a very, very far relative of the C64s SID btw.!)

How are they related? One was Japanese and FM, the other was designed in the US and was subtractive, right?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Genpei Turtle posted:

One thing that's immediately obvious from those scans is just how cheap computer gaming has gotten. Phantasie III costs $88 in 2014 dollars. War in Russia costs $176 in 2014 dollars. No wonder we could barely afford games back then, and piracy was so rampant.
Some UK equivalents:

Finders Keepers (Mastertronic): £1.99 in 1985, now £5.27.
Stonkers (Imagine): £5.50 in 1984, now £15.44.
Sabre Wulf (Ultimate): £9.95 in 1984, now £27.94.

And the machine itself: a 48k ZX Spectrum cost £175 on launch in 1982, which now equals £539.63. Or about the same as a 64Gb iPad Air. :stare:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

the wizards beard posted:

How are they related? One was Japanese and FM, the other was designed in the US and was subtractive, right?

Yes, I have no idea how I built that bridge now either. I was thinking about it right after I posted it. I think I was referring to the Ensoniq sound cards and their repsective custom chips because I was earlier this week reading something about their abilities (and one of the founders of that company designed the SID) but even there there's little similarity to the SID. I wanna make clear: I had a brain fart, the SID and the YMF chips have no similarity, not even a bit. The YMF chips are completely digital, while the SID is an analog/digital hybrid. Sorry!

EDIT: That being said, I was always surprised that people develop these huge hang-ups about the SID while there seems to be comparatively little interest in FM synth music. I've only heard very few pieces that really took everything out of a good chip.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

EDIT: That being said, I was always surprised that people develop these huge hang-ups about the SID while there seems to be comparatively little interest in FM synth music. I've only heard very few pieces that really took everything out of a good chip.

I think this SID is impressive for it's time and cost and for what people were able to pull out of it. In those days FM was strictly something you went out and spent $hundreds-thousands to get in a DX7 or similar. FM synthesis is wonderful but it does have a unique sound that's kinda love-hate.