Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dick Trauma posted:

I get called when the meeting is already in progress.

That happens to me a lot too, actually.

"What time is your meeting scheduled to start!"
"Five minutes ago."

I have no idea what kind of lobotomy people go through that makes them utterly unable to plan in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

guppy posted:

"Five minutes ago."

I have no idea what kind of lobotomy people go through that makes them utterly unable to plan in advance.

Probably the same one that prevents people from being able to responsibly budget, take out insane loans on marginal thing, and generally wind up in the Bad With Money thread in BFC

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Probably the same one that prevents people from being able to responsibly budget, take out insane loans on marginal thing, and generally wind up in the Bad With Money thread in BFC

There seems to be a stigma that technology and A/V stuff will magically be available at the drop of a hat and on demand. I've gotten phone calls as I'm unlocking my front door asking me to drive the hour and half it takes to go back because so-and-so forgot to tell Tech they were having some kind of A/V event. They'll plan everything else and get that all squared away ahead of time but everyone forgets about Tech for some reason.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

guppy posted:

"Five minutes ago."

I constantly get project managers trying to invite me to meetings within 5 mins of start time, then yell at my manager when I dontshow up.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Jadus posted:

I've been using ManageEngine Service Desk for a year and a bit, and I find it excellent. Fully featured, easy to use for both technicians and users, and its actively developed with patches every 2 weeks.
What's up, ManageEngine-using buddy?

Also, a ticket JUST came in...

"We need a laptop configured for a new hire starting at 0800 tomorrow."

1. You aren't in the military. Stop with the 0800 poo poo.
2. It's a pubic hair shy of 5:00. It won't be ready for "0800 tomorrow".

This user is constantly waiting until the last 15 business minutes before she needs her poo poo to tell IT. Luckily, I'm not in that office but seeing those tickets (with a subject of "HELP") fills me with rage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My old boss would have sighed heavily and then stayed late to fulfil that sort of request.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Cherwell is pretty drat good, if you bother to get it properly configured.

BMC just pushed out FootPrints v12 and... well, wait for the first SP, I'd say.

Internally, we're still using Service Desk Express (Magic), but we're going Remedy this year.

:stare: You don't happen to work for a small federal agency, do you?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I have three simple rules that I apply for electrical work.

1. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

2. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

3. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

It's not worth dying over.

Yes! I keep asking for the electricians to pull cables for me for additional data points and the facilities manager keeps saying we don't do that

The issue is before my company took over, everything IT (including infrastructure) was contracted out to HP so they never had to do anything with it

Now my company runs the place we are obliged to maintain the infrastructure however the facilities manager just refuses to acknowledge this but then moans when his skilled tradesmen are too busy to do their trade...

Pulling cat5 isn't too bad but I mainly don't want to set a precedent that I can do it never mind the untrained issue!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

RadicalR posted:

:stare: You don't happen to work for a small federal agency, do you?

Nope. Little consulting firm out of Ottawa, though!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My company is currently 60% through being acquired by a larger company. I have been idled, budget frozen, and minimal communication from my manager. I swear I'm in high school still due to the level of drama that's going on. Employees are leaving or being laid off left and right. New projects are coming online that have no engineering support. There are three possible lawsuits from employees, which could sour the sale if not settled out of court. It has made me feel like I'm in an airplane, piloted by our execs. Our landing gear is stuck up and the passengers are screaming that we are leaking fuel. The execs are ignoring the leaks, trying to get us over the mountain at any cost. There is a lake big enough to land in on the other side of a mountain range, but no one knows if there is enough fuel to get there. We will either end up safely landing in the lake with only a few casualties, or crashing in the mountain range, with little hope for any survivors. All I know is either way, the larger company has given myself and several others parachutes if they do not end up buying the whole company and are ready to swoop in a snatch up the few pieces they want from the wreckage scattered across the mountain range for pennies.

In other news, cloudstack is pretty awesome.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 5, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

the spyder posted:

My company is currently 60% through being acquired by a larger company. I have been idled, budget frozen, and minimal communication from my manager. I swear I'm in high school still due to the level of drama that's going on. Employees are leaving or being laid off left and right. New projects are coming online that have no engineering support. There are three possible lawsuits from employees, which could sour the sale if not settled out of court. It has made me feel like I'm in an airplane, piloted by our execs. Our landing gear is stuck up and the passengers are screaming that we are leaking fuel. The execs are ignoring the leaks, trying to get us over the mountain at any cost. There is a lake big enough to land in on the other side of a mountain range, but no one knows if there is enough fuel to get there. We will either end up safely landing in the lake with only a few casualties, or crashing in the mountain range, with little hope for any survivors. All I know is either way, the larger company has given myself and several others parachutes if they do not end up buying the whole company and are ready to swoop in a snatch up the few pieces they want from the wreckage scattered across the mountain range for pennies.

Remember - if you end up crashing, and you survive, eat the dead.

...I have no idea what that means in relation to your analogy, but do it anyway.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

vibur posted:

What's up, ManageEngine-using buddy?

Also, a ticket JUST came in...

This user is constantly waiting until the last 15 business minutes before she needs her poo poo to tell IT. Luckily, I'm not in that office but seeing those tickets (with a subject of "HELP") fills me with rage.

Reminds me of a recent ticket. Office manager asks us to set up a new user, including the purchase of a new laptop as their office doesn't have any spares. Sounds good, when do we need this done by?

User started Monday last week and she needs an email now that her training is complete so she can start handling some work of her own. She's here now and has nothing to do until she has an account and machine.

:catstare:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Antioch posted:

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
4 months of your time
8 bottles of mid-range scotch
3 prescriptions for progressively stronger anti-depressants

2 E.R. visits
And a heart attack from working IIII-TTTT :toot:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

the spyder posted:

The execs in your company are in extra gently caress off mode because they are trying to out exec each other in hopes to still have a job.

Being an employee of a company that is being purchased is the loving worst.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Failed acquisitions are the best since you're left with an office full of people who've tried to throw each other under the bus(moreso than usual)

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I was promoted a few months ago and was moving into a new team. I am about two weeks to moving to it as I've been training my replacement and all of a sudden a different team asked for me. So now I had two promotions in six months and I haven't even moved into the first job yet (and won't be now)!

Crazy.

And of course the day I shake the hand of the boss offering me the new spot I misread a volume name and take down about 20 systems for 5 minutes. With a load of important people from around the world performing a live procedure. High-Pri triggered. That happened yesterday and I am still feeling really awful about it. From now on I am going to only mess with a bunch of volumes at a time so I have to use a change control to do so.

:yotj::yotj:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

angry armadillo posted:

Yes! I keep asking for the electricians to pull cables for me for additional data points and the facilities manager keeps saying we don't do that

The issue is before my company took over, everything IT (including infrastructure) was contracted out to HP so they never had to do anything with it

Now my company runs the place we are obliged to maintain the infrastructure however the facilities manager just refuses to acknowledge this but then moans when his skilled tradesmen are too busy to do their trade...

Pulling cat5 isn't too bad but I mainly don't want to set a precedent that I can do it never mind the untrained issue!

Woah woah, do not have electricians pull data cables, that's a recipe for lovely pulls.

e: that is to say do not have electricians without comms pulling/layout experience do comm/data pulls, I've (anecdotal experience) seen some really nasty pulls done by electricians with very tense cables and tight turns/corners which ended up destroying cable.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 5, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

deimos posted:

Woah woah, do not have electricians pull data cables, that's a recipe for lovely pulls.

e: that is to say do not have electricians without comms pulling/layout experience do comm/data pulls, I've (anecdotal experience) seen some really nasty pulls done by electricians with very tense cables and tight turns/corners which ended up destroying cable.

As a general rule never let electricians touch any kind of cable.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Varkk posted:

As a general rule never let electricians touch any kind of cable.

Basically look for buildings that are already perfectly wired and never ever leave them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

vibur posted:

The correct course of action here is to quote the user's email as "We need a laptop configured for a new hire" and reply "Sure thing, it will be ready in 3-6 working days as specified by the new hire process."

If they raise poo poo just tell them you don't have a computer on the shelf and need to order one and 3-6 days is to account for delivery time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
An interview came in, I don't think I did very well. It was all ok until the technical manager came in (I pretty much aced the service level and the third line guys questions barring a few that took a second). He then asked about hypervisor which i've never actually used and I just floundered for about 10 minutes.

Ugh.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

So our phone system needs some servicing.

Except end-of-life for the system (Intertel 5000) was May 30, 2014.

Anyone have VOIP recommendations for ~30-40 users? Shortel looks kind of neat but I've heard horror stories.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

The correct course of action here is to quote the user's email as "We need a laptop configured for a new hire" and reply "Sure thing, it will be ready in 3-6 working days as specified by the new hire process."
Look at you thinking my boss has the wherewithal or the political capital to institute a new hire process.

Lareous posted:

So our phone system needs some servicing.

Except end-of-life for the system (Intertel 5000) was May 30, 2014.
:stare: Oh god...we're using an Intertel (Mitel) 5000.

vibur fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 5, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

On Monday I posted about the potential SQL injection vulnerability I found within KACE. Well it has taken me since then to actually submit a ticket to them letting them know of the issue, because they first had to clear up a billing issue from over a week ago and then it took their techs AN ENTIRE DAY to reset my password (after they locked out my account). But then I submitted my ticket, and got an actual response!

quote:

This is a known issue with version 6, K1-16582. Currently there is not a solution to this issue. Our development team is aware of the issue and working on a solution.

:downs:

This page says they've known about it for at least a year now so yeah I won't hold my breath on that fix.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sirotan posted:

On Monday I posted about the potential SQL injection vulnerability I found within KACE. Well it has taken me since then to actually submit a ticket to them letting them know of the issue, because they first had to clear up a billing issue from over a week ago and then it took their techs AN ENTIRE DAY to reset my password (after they locked out my account). But then I submitted my ticket, and got an actual response!

:downs:

This page says they've known about it for at least a year now so yeah I won't hold my breath on that fix.

:argh: This is what happens when you shake up your engineering team.

Reminds me of when I transitioned my fraternity to a billing group specifically for fraternities. When I forgot my password instead of resting it, they sent it to my email. Which means it's stored in plain text. I think it was at one people even worse: when logging it it submitted the password through the HTML form, so it would show up in the URL as well. :stonk: Yeah, they did eventually fix it, too. But drat...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So after I told admin that no we couldnt set up our lovely sound system/pa outside without any power source and that we wouldn't even want to in the first place because it would sound so bad I get a call from the CEO's admin assistant. Now it has to be able to work outside and be loud enough to present to over 300 people. Our current system cant support that inside let alone outside. I told her it's out of scope, we have no power forget it.

Two hours later I get another call. Drop everything this is now high priority, find a company to do it now. Never mind it's only 6 days away now at this point. I make some calls and get a quote and submit it to admin. Few hours later I get a call back. That company wont work because they want to use a generator to power the sound system and they think it will be to loud and they don't want to pay for the fuel to run it. gently caress me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dogstile posted:

An interview came in, I don't think I did very well. It was all ok until the technical manager came in (I pretty much aced the service level and the third line guys questions barring a few that took a second). He then asked about hypervisor which i've never actually used and I just floundered for about 10 minutes.

Ugh.

If you have windows 8 pro or a server sitting around, set up Hyper-V and mess around with it!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So after I told admin that no we couldnt set up our lovely sound system/pa outside without any power source and that we wouldn't even want to in the first place because it would sound so bad I get a call from the CEO's admin assistant. Now it has to be able to work outside and be loud enough to present to over 300 people. Our current system cant support that inside let alone outside. I told her it's out of scope, we have no power forget it.

Two hours later I get another call. Drop everything this is now high priority, find a company to do it now. Never mind it's only 6 days away now at this point. I make some calls and get a quote and submit it to admin. Few hours later I get a call back. That company wont work because they want to use a generator to power the sound system and they think it will be to loud and they don't want to pay for the fuel to run it. gently caress me.

Get a quote for a loving power plant next to the presentation, that'll do it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Get a bunch of co-op students to just echo what's being said really loudly and place them throughout the crowd. Best game of Telephone ever.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Duct tape one of these to a normal speaker and you're all set! :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

vibur posted:

Look at you thinking my boss has the wherewithal or the political capital to institute a new hire process.
Managers love documented processes, and the higher up they are the more they love them. Draft up a document outlining the tasks and responsibilities for each department and send it up the hierarchy, something along that the hiring manager reports a new hire to HR with x days lead time, HR then requests keycards, computer, phone, accounts, desk etc from relevant functions, with x days lead time and so on. Sprinkle liberally with managerial buzzwords about division of labour, verifiable process, etc.

Then when someone comes in at 16:45 and says "A guy is coming in tomorrow at 08:00, set up a computer." you can just toss the document at them.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Managers love documented processes, and the higher up they are the more they love them.
Please believe me when I say that this is absolutely not true here - especially if it means more hoops to go through. The IT Manager here is so bad that the company had a peer review done of our IT processes. The only recommendation they followed was hire a CIO (who is basically a finance guy). It's a terrible situation that I'm looking to extract myself from as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, my too-complicated-to-go-into circumstances make extraction take longer than I'd like.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Whoops wrong thread

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 5, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

guppy posted:

"Five minutes ago."

I had people at the ad agency I used to work for try throwing tantrums when an offsite presentation didn't go well. it turns out "Did it work during the rehearsal ?" shuts those people right the gently caress up. Because gently caress you, I'm not responsible for blowing a million-dollar presentation that I only heard about after it got hosed up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Manslaughter posted:

Duct tape one of these to a normal speaker and you're all set! :downs:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This was my first suggestion. They were not happy with it.

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

The Australians have the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Buy a 100" TV screen and then "Lose" it at home after the conference.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

That is actually completely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I want one for my office doorway.

• Locked thread