Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

The fact that you thought they would hire you for selling books online is ridiculous. The fact that you're hoping that they'll hire you to stock their shelves for four hours a week is ridiculous. Your life is loving ridiculous. I seriously pity your crazy mother. I pity anyone who has to interact with you. You won't qualify for disability. It just won't happen. You also can't hold down the most simple of jobs. I'm seriously concerned about what will happen to you if your mom either gets fed up with you and finally throws your rear end out, or she dies. I guess you could move in with another relative and leech off of them, but I have no idea how long they'd put up with it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but can you address this, Benny? Your mom can't support you and Danny forever, and I am also seriously concerned about what the hell is going to happen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
HEY BENNY, HOW ABOUT AMERICORPS/JOBCORPS?
Or is it still not time for your "nuclear options"?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Aqua Bear posted:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but can you address this, Benny? Your mom can't support you and Danny forever, and I am also seriously concerned about what the hell is going to happen to you.

He can always kill two birds with one stone and find a sugar mommy.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

HiHo ChiRho posted:

He can always kill two birds with one stone and find a sugar mommy.

I think Benny ought to stay away from any kind of sugar given his craw and jowls

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

saying he's mentally ill and should file for disability isn't defending him, it's being realistic about his prospects re: future employment. Like, it'll cost the taxpayers much more if he doesn't get that poo poo sorted out, because he'll need a lot more services.

i totally get wanting to call people lazy and fuckups and say that they just need to suck it up and stop being dumb, but that's some stupid thing you believe that doesn't match up with facts.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Benny, are you still writing?
I am, actually! I was inspired by a prompt that I never got around to, and I'm writing chapters instead of one short story. I haven't been TD'ing because I haven't been feeling the prompts recently.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I am, actually! I was inspired by a prompt that I never got around to, and I'm writing chapters instead of one short story. I haven't been TD'ing because I haven't been feeling the prompts recently.

I'd really love it if you'd address the questions people have brought up about your family. Holy poo poo, dude! It 's been nearly a year and a half and you haven't done anything substantial.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Benny answer my question please.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the longest form troll ever.

Just put it into purgatory and put everyone who ever posted in it on a 1 week probate for benny-aid 2014.

mom
Sep 11, 2001
i was throatfucked as a teen, and then later as an adult.

Glaerna
Jun 3, 2013

mom posted:

i was throatfucked as a teen, and then later as an adult.

Excerpt from Benny's harrowing neo-noir thriller: What This Mustang's Back Seet Has Seen [sic]

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Glaerna posted:

Excerpt from Benny's harrowing neo-noir thriller: What This Mustang's Back Seet Has Seen [sic]

I believe the quote you're think of is, "I was throatfucked as a teen and then later as an adult, and then murdered my entire family."

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
So Benny, gonna post books online to sell for the library? How exactly did that last position you held posting things for sale online go?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Benny the Snake posted:

I only volunteer twice a week at two hours because I'm still under the training phase. But now that I've assumed more responsibilities, I'll be able to log in more hours on my own with the library.

When I worked [min. wage, but a paid position] shelving books at a library, I was given 20 hours a week from the start -- I'm baffled what kind of lengthy 'training period' you need to shelf books. I worked at a public library, so they used Dewey Decimal for 95% of the stock, and alphabetical by author's surname for the general fiction.

How much training and practice does one need to shelf books alphabetically or in the correct numerical sequence, especially someone with a BA in English? We had non-English speakers from the local ESL programme who worked as book-shelvers.

It was the simplest job in the library.

:psyduck:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 5, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

The insurance can only be handled by my parents because they were the ones who signed us up as a family. Medi-Cal is requesting financial information which only they could provide. Again, the reason why I'm not applying on my own is because they already have my name in the system.

So loving call them up and find out why you haven't been approved. The waiting period is ten days. You have not heard from them. Something is not happening that needs to happen.

You can get that information from your parents (possibly just your mom, I don't think your dad works) and you can submit it to Medical. Your name's in the system? Awesome! Super loving awesome! You can't pay for your dental work by saying "oh, Medical has my name in their system, can you? No? THEN loving CALL THEM.

Benny the Snake posted:

I spoke to my library director. I'm now in charge of posting books to sell online. I'll start with the 50 cent books to chum the waters and from there we'll sell more.

oh my god you are so dumb

You're not going to chum any waters with old books. Chumming the waters would involve introducing something new to a market. You're not doing that.

Benny the Snake posted:

Our plan is to also post nicer books for a higher price than what we would sell inside but first I need to experiment online to see if there's a market.

No, you don't need to expiriment online. You need to look online to see what other people are already charging the exact same thing you're selling, and adjust prices or abandon the project entirely based on your research. Research is a very important thing, dude, and you don't ever seem to want to do it.

Benny the Snake posted:

We also plan to post locally so that we can direct our customers to pick up the books over here and then show them the shelves where we sell more books so that hopefully they'll buy more while they're here. That will make shipping costs a non-issue.

This part is not the worst idea, but don't freak people out, or stare at them, or try and talk up the books. Just.. let them browse. Make yourself scarce.

Also ahahaha that you thought you'd be able to make a job out of that. You need to spend time in therapy. A lot of time. Having someone help you unravel your extremely unhelpful, immature, and weird thought patterns.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oval office raja posted:

oh my god you are so dumb

You're not going to chum any waters with old books. Chumming the waters would involve introducing something new to a market. You're not doing that.

Leave him alone. He learned a new phrase, he's trying it out. This is his big accomplishment of the week.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

We also plan to post locally so that we can direct our customers to pick up the books over here and then show them the shelves where we sell more books so that hopefully they'll buy more while they're here. That will make shipping costs a non-issue.

Please direct yourself to this shelf of books we're selling, and ignore the entire library of other copies and books you can borrow indefinitely. Also please don't be offended that your donations are being sold for pennies instead of being enjoyed by future generations because I think this will somehow translate into some kind of work experience that a kid in high school couldn't get.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh man, an accounting textbook from 1975. I'm going to make some COLD HARD CASH off this one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Benny's big idea is to slowly turn his local library into a book store.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I actually don't mind buying old library copies of certain books, if it's total trash like Charlaine Harris.

Now here's some serious posting. I am already embarrassed about this!

I definitely don't want to jump on the "rargh, millennials" bandwagon but I supervise a bunch of people around Benny's age, with roughly Benny's educational qualifications on paper. (They are definitely more privileged than Benny in a lot of ways.) My biggest problem with them is that they really only hear what they want to hear. Even with written instructions, with small goals and deadlines, developed together, for projects are subject to wild interpretation based on how they feel that day. They also sometimes have a hard time dealing with people aren't just like them (an older colleague who doesn't have a degree, for example). Simple skills like calling or texting me if they can't make it in are not yet habits.

They are sweet and smart kids, and they respond to "No, I expect better from you." But they require a lot of supervision, and they don't even realize it. (I'm certain I was the same way when I was their age, by the way.)

The thing is, they get better because they make mistakes, and are corrected, and then eventually form new routines. But this takes more than three weeks on the job. Part of my goals for them in these entry level positions are to help them build very basic workplace skills, because how else are you going to learn to do something like "check your voicemail every day, don't let the messages pile up". (Insert 10,000 goons telling me "What, nah, you stupid bitch, I never check my work messages if it's important they'll email me eventually.")

I see a lot of Benny in my employees: the getting wildly ahead of himself, the misinterpretation of fairly basic instructions and the inability to work collaboratively with peers who have different skillsets.

I feel like if the old Benny can just stay in one place for more than a couple of weeks, he would experience a real difference.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle Salty posted:

I actually don't mind buying old library copies of certain books, if it's total trash like Charlaine Harris.

Now here's some serious posting. I am already embarrassed about this!

I definitely don't want to jump on the "rargh, millennials" bandwagon but I supervise a bunch of people around Benny's age, with roughly Benny's educational qualifications on paper. (They are definitely more privileged than Benny in a lot of ways.) My biggest problem with them is that they really only hear what they want to hear. Even with written instructions, with small goals and deadlines, developed together, for projects are subject to wild interpretation based on how they feel that day. They also sometimes have a hard time dealing with people aren't just like them (an older colleague who doesn't have a degree, for example). Simple skills like calling or texting me if they can't make it in are not yet habits.

They are sweet and smart kids, and they respond to "No, I expect better from you." But they require a lot of supervision, and they don't even realize it. (I'm certain I was the same way when I was their age, by the way.)

The thing is, they get better because they make mistakes, and are corrected, and then eventually form new routines. But this takes more than three weeks on the job. Part of my goals for them in these entry level positions are to help them build very basic workplace skills, because how else are you going to learn to do something like "check your voicemail every day, don't let the messages pile up". (Insert 10,000 goons telling me "What, nah, you stupid bitch, I never check my work messages if it's important they'll email me eventually.")

I see a lot of Benny in my employees: the getting wildly ahead of himself, the misinterpretation of fairly basic instructions and the inability to work collaboratively with peers who have different skillsets.

I feel like if the old Benny can just stay in one place for more than a couple of weeks, he would experience a real difference.

The problem here isn't that Benny makes mistakes; it's that he never learns from them and he ignores the majority of criticism or advice requiring him to do anything.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Well, yeah, you're right. But I think that he could learn from enough correction. He hasn't held any job long enough to build good habits. I mean, after six weeks of me telling Benny to "have someone else proof your TPS report before it comes to me" he'd be so tired of hearing it that he would go get one of his colleagues to proof it. Eventually, he would realize that it is kind of embarrassing to have your boss constantly catch weird, lazy mistakes, and start heading them off.

Maybe. I mean, I've seen it happen. I know I've done it myself!

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 5, 2014

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
benny's only chance at maintaining gainful employment is to join the army/military/whatever where they'll place him as a janitor somewhere

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Do it ironically posted:

benny's only chance at maintaining gainful employment is to join the army/military/whatever where they'll place him as a janitor somewhere

I was a janitor for a while in the early 2000's, it was a pretty ace job.

VelveetaAvenger
Nov 3, 2011

Boom!

crabrock posted:

saying he's mentally ill and should file for disability isn't defending him, it's being realistic about his prospects re: future employment. Like, it'll cost the taxpayers much more if he doesn't get that poo poo sorted out, because he'll need a lot more services.

i totally get wanting to call people lazy and fuckups and say that they just need to suck it up and stop being dumb, but that's some stupid thing you believe that doesn't match up with facts.

Realistically, the amount of work required to get and stay on disability is far beyond anything he's already failed at in the past year.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Uncle Salty posted:

Part of my goals for them in these entry level positions are to help them build very basic workplace skills, because how else are you going to learn to do something like "check your voicemail every day, don't let the messages pile up". (Insert 10,000 goons telling me "What, nah, you stupid bitch, I never check my work messages if it's important they'll email me eventually.")

It's the responsibility of MacDonalds, KFC, GameStop, Auto Zone, generic convienence store, etc. to teach these skills. Not necessarily stuff like "check your voicemail" but more about establishing routines, habits and behaviors that help you help your superiors, co-workers and customers. High school job type poo poo that us regular people have managed to get out and learn. Meanwhile, people like Benny and all the other E/N sadsacks who quote "Spent most of my childhood on the internet" never had the opportunity to grasp.

Benny waited until he was in his 20s to start to grow up and now it's biting him in the rear end. Same thing is gonna keep happening at a more rapid rate to the next generation and generations to follow as long as parents keep babying their children and not pushing them towards the scarey real world.

Basically: Delusional rear end in a top hat parents think their little snowflake will get a diploma and be good to go.

CravingSolace posted:

Which, whether your name is in the system or not, you're a loving adult and can request to be put on your own god-drat plan. Or to be removed from your parent's, at least, you lazy bastard.

Benny, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! I'm serious, your next post better loving be about health insurance. What forms do your parents need to send in? Why can't you apply for yourself? You need to have this argument with your parents right this loving second, before your teeth rot out and you die of aggressive diaper infection. Can I get some help from everyone? Like, can you guys help badger him? Maybe if he sees an entire page worth of "Do something about healthcare" he'll actually respond instead of going off about writing and all the other fuckshit he wastes his time on.

Stop making excuses and move forward! Either take control and demand your parents do what they need to do or abandon their whole "family plan" bullshit and apply yourself.

My god, there's a whole loving page worth of "Health insurance, health insurance, health insurance, health insurance, are you still writing? health insurance, health insurance, health insurance, health insurance"

Benny's Reply: "Why yes, I'm still writing, but no, I'm not actually writing at the moment, because the goddamn thunderdome prompts don't inspire me."

cname fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 5, 2014

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I just don't understand the unwillingness to address the insurance issue, Benny.

When I was 19, I was still on my dad's insurance. I decided to get my own since I could afford it. Even though my name was 'in the system' with his insurance, I called the provider and removed myself from it. Then applied for my own. It wasn't difficult. I can't comprehend why you can't do this.

And about his getting disability, it very likely wouldn't happen even if he applied. I don't know if he's still getting treatment aside from his meds at this point. He isn't physically disabled. He doesn't seem to be hearing voices calling his name anymore. He just sucks at being a functioning adult. Unfortunately, that won't be enough. Like I said before, if my sister has active seizures, systemic lupus and a slew of other problems that literally prevent her from working and it took her YEARS to get approved, there is no way in hell Benny will ever qualify because "I dunno, I can't grill veggies and follow simple directions even though I managed to (supposedly) graduate college with a degree" will ever loving fly. This man-child is royally hosed. Unless he magically wakes up and decides to stop loving around and get his poo poo together, he is doomed to be dependent on someone else for the rest of his sad life.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How would Benny pay for his own insurance? Not that it's an excuse for not having any clue what's going on with his family's insurance. Frankly he should sign them up and sign his Mom's name if she hasn't done it already.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Jeffrey posted:

How would Benny pay for his own insurance? Not that it's an excuse for not having any clue what's going on with his family's insurance. Frankly he should sign them up and sign his Mom's name if she hasn't done it already.

It doesn't matter. I'm not sure about how Obamacare or Cali state provided health insurance works, but any debt he racks up under an insurance provider will literally be 100x less than if he were uninsured. It's literally being in debt $20 for a doctor visit as opposed to $2000.

CravingSolace posted:

I just don't understand the unwillingness to address the insurance issue, Benny.

Even if his parents blew up on him for applying on his own, they have no leg to stand on. They've had PLENTY of time to get coverage for the whole family. It sounds as though they're putting about as much effort in as Benny would, but who knows? This is all according to the words of a habitual liar.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2014

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
If the lazy poo poo can afford comics, he can afford insurance. My mom pays $16 a month for hers.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone know if Medicaid works the same way as private health insurance, as in an adult child can stay on their parent's plan until 26? It seems strange that someone who is at least 22 wouldn't be required to sign up individually.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

cname posted:

[b]Benny, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! I'm serious, your next post better loving be about health insurance.

Or else what? Benny doesn't give a crap about you or your opinion. He ignores every piece of decent advice in this thread and I'm sure he doesn't care about you telling him what he better do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Call up his mother and tell her Benny's been jerkin' it to reruns of Ghost Whisperer.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Or else what? Benny doesn't give a crap about you or your opinion. He ignores every piece of decent advice in this thread and I'm sure he doesn't care about you telling him what he better do.

OR ELSE he's gonna wind up having terrible credit and owing thousands upon thousands of dollars in hospital/dental bills and.... who am I kidding, he could care less.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cname posted:

It doesn't matter. I'm not sure about how Obamacare or Cali state provided health insurance works, but any debt he racks up under an insurance provider will literally be 100x less than if he were uninsured. It's literally being in debt $20 for a doctor visit as opposed to $2000.

This isn't how any form of insurance works. Assuming he could get a policy for no money down he'd probably have 60 days after it started to make a payment before they'd suspend or cancel the policy for nonpayment.

Also any policy he could get for the cost of a couple of comic books per month would have a deductible well north of $2000. Not saying he shouldn't get insurance, but goons are putting the cart in front of the horse here.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It's a good idea for him to get insurance but that's thinking wayyyy too far ahead for this dumb dumb. It's too much work.

Benny, have you applied to fast food places like McDonald's again? Movie theater? Walmart? Nothing with carts, just the dude that checks your receipt when you're leaving. That should be your focus, not applying at law firms or trying to turn a profit selling used books at the library in the hopes that they'll employ you.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Geoj posted:

This isn't how any form of insurance works. Assuming he could get a policy for no money down he'd probably have 60 days after it started to make a payment before they'd suspend or cancel the policy for nonpayment.

Also any policy he could get for the cost of a couple of comic books per month would have a deductible well north of $2000. Not saying he shouldn't get insurance, but goons are putting the cart in front of the horse here.

Actually that's not how it works for Medicaid plans. I work for an insurance company in Minnesota, and for instance if you qualify for Medicaid there are two primary plans you can qualify for, for people with no assets at all, who are under the bottom minimum threshold for income, you qualify for PMAP (pre-paid medical assistance) - the families/individuals on this type of policy do not pay anything per month, and at most have a $3 copay per dr visit, with almost anything and everything being covered. For those whose family/individual income exceed that first threshold, they qualify for MN Care (Minnesota Care) - which they pay a nominal ($10-25 per month roughly) fee to have, and the benefits are the same as the previous one, $3 per visit, with the only restriction being inpatient claims (once you exceed $10,000 for an inpatient stay it goes to the Department of Human Services rather than us to consider for payment).

So Benny, ask yourself this, what's better right now for you, sitting around waiting forever to see if you get insurance through your parents applying, or just contacting them and getting a policy that's somewhat similar at least to what is listed above, and paying a VERY small fee per visit, which would also allow you to maintain and stay on your medications?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Benny, if you're really serious about going on disability, just go into the periodicals section of the library and start masturbating while eating the pages of a March, 1972 issue of Time magazine one by one.

And wear a hat.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Benny, if you're really serious about going on disability, just go into the periodicals section of the library and start masturbating while eating the pages of a March, 1972 issue of Time magazine one by one.

And wear a hat.

This is more like "how to get committed." But at this point I don't think he'd be any worse off in a mental institution...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Well there is the third option of taking ownership of the problem of determining his family's health insurance status. It seems more sensible to me since his mom will pay for it, but I guess it does require communicating with people in some way and so just might be insurmountable.

• Locked thread