Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's cheesing to pull out your squirtle against that charmander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Lightning is such a tryhard strat, chosen undead reported.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Using magic against almost every boss makes them trivial to beat so yeah it kind of is cheesing them. Magic is horribly imbalanced in this game. You can beat every boss just by chucking lightning spears at them.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
It's not cheesing, it's just a really boring way to fight.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Internet Kraken posted:

Using magic against almost every boss makes them trivial to beat so yeah it kind of is cheesing them. Magic is horribly imbalanced in this game. You can beat every boss just by chucking lightning spears at them.

You can beat every boss by just swinging at them. Wow. Big whoop. You sound like a dumbass

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaldaris posted:

Isn't that a pretty subjective call?

Throwing bolts of lightning at stuff sounds pretty fun to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can cheese most enemies with maces too.

quote:

I enjoy it, but I like using all four magic types at once and mixing it up as I go. Soul spears and GRS here, firestorm there, forbidden sun now and then, heal up then greatsword, and if that doesn't work gently caress it let's whip out the longsword or Moonlight. I think its a bit more boring to limit yourself to a single thing. I wish more of the sorceries weren't so weak in damage output compared to soul spear. SS Barrage especially.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bob NewSCART posted:

You can beat every boss by just swinging at them. Wow. Big whoop. You sound like a dumbass

If you can't see the difference between actually getting close to a boss to fight them and just throwing 6 lightning spears at them from across a room, you're the dumbass.

For the record I'm not calling anyone that uses magic cheaters or something. Use whatever the hell you want. I just don't get why you'd go through the trouble of unlocking the Darklurker fight if you were going to beat the boss in a way that makes the fight just as boring as all the other ones.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 5, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

If you can't see the difference between actually getting close to a boss to fight them and just throwing 6 lightning spears at them from across a room, you're the dumbass.

With the exception of a few things I've had no more trouble on my melee-only char than my battlemage. Though I also usually play with phantoms. :shobon:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Lightning is such a tryhard strat, chosen undead reported.

The Chosen Undead is the protagonist from Dark Souls 1, don't hate on 'em. They've got their own troubles. :colbert:

Now the Cursed Undead on the other hand is a huge fucker.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Bosses have ranged attacks too, some of which are considerably more dangerous than their melee attacks. Can I call the bosses out on cheesing me if they kill me with a ranged attack instead of fighting me fists only no items SL1 like a non-scrub?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
[quote="Mighty Dicktron" post=""43060539"]
Now the Cursed Undead on the other hand is a huge fucker.
[/quote]

That's "Bearer of the Curse" tyvm.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The real :darksouls: starts at subjective opinions on what is "fun" and what is "cheesing"!

Having played this game way too much already, I have to say that yes, magic does kill stuff incredibly quick... but at the same time it feels incredibly nice to be able to actually take a chunk out of a boss' health. I think I like all the approaches equally. My newest character is a spellsword so I can try combining the different approaches! It's nice to finally be good enough at the game to never require a shield, though.

Currently I've played...
1. Large sword, Large Shield
2. All magic, all the time
3. Whips, Daggers, Holy Water, Castlevania-style!
4. Clubs! Hammers! Smash!
5. Fisticuffs, because all else is dishonorable.
6. Spellsword, because why wouldn't I try the best of both worlds?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Bosses have ranged attacks too, some of which are considerably more dangerous than their melee attacks. Can I call the bosses out on cheesing me if they kill me with a ranged attack instead of fighting me fists only no items SL1 like a non-scrub?

Most bosses don't have ranged attacks. Those that do usually only have one or two, and they are typically easier to dodge than their melee attacks. Regardless, no boss has a defense against just spamming lightning spear to suck all challenge out of the fight aside from Mirror Knight.

I can't think of a single boss where I found the ranged attacks harder to dodge than the melee ones.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Most bosses don't have ranged attacks. Those that do usually only have one or two, and they are typically easier to dodge than their melee attacks. Regardless, no boss has a defense against just spamming lightning spear to suck all challenge out of the fight aside from Mirror Knight.

I love the LGK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-61Z1ht7zw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I alone in thinking that cheesing a bossfight is completely legit on a first playthrough? If you go in there and get murdered, then devise a strategy to keep yourself away from harm while (often slowly) killing the boss, that's definitely considered cheesing... but at the same time I feel it's kind of the !!core :darksouls: experience!!. If you're invested in the game, you'll play more than once and actually learn the boss patterns and such and dodge around it gracefully while dishing out damage, but on a first plauthrough I feel it's definitely a legitimate strategy. If you keep cheesing it.. I guess you're doing so because you have a reason. I mean, I've fought bosses that are hilariously hard with my currently build so much that I've gone "gently caress it" and chosen the easy way out. Don't see why people would get riled up about it, though.

e: okay that video posted above... (while cheesing) "That was a great soul? That wimpy loving battle was a great soul? Are you serious that was a great soul?", I'd just say... people suck. The game doesn't suck, but people suck. I like that these games are hard, but giving people a way to beat them even if they aren't ~*~experts~*~ is nice. Some people might be smug assholes about it, but that will always happen no matter what.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 5, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How are you even supposed to know what is considered cheesing a boss on your first time through the game?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I played full melee my first playthrough but hell yeah I cheesed some enemies with an unupgraded shortbow and 999 wooden arrows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Am I alone in thinking that cheesing a bossfight is completely legit on a first playthrough? If you go in there and get murdered, then devise a strategy to keep yourself away from harm while (often slowly) killing the boss, that's definitely considered cheesing... but at the same time I feel it's kind of the !!core :darksouls: experience!!. If you're invested in the game, you'll play more than once and actually learn the boss patterns and such and dodge around it gracefully while dishing out damage, but on a first plauthrough I feel it's definitely a legitimate strategy. If you keep cheesing it.. I guess you're doing so because you have a reason. I mean, I've fought bosses that are hilariously hard with my currently build so much that I've gone "gently caress it" and chosen the easy way out. Don't see why people would get riled up about it, though.

Why wouldn't it be legit? Outside of outright cheating anything's fair game. That's not to say it's not boring as poo poo, generally (related: gently caress you dull sunbros that do nothing but spam lightning spears at the boss).

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Everyone's welcome to enjoy the game in their own way. Horrific concept, I know.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Toadsmash posted:

Everyone's welcome to enjoy the game in their own way. Horrific concept, I know.

No no no no no, if you enjoy it you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

In all seriousness though, this. Who gives a poo poo about using magic. I personally feel trashy if I'm rocking ranged attacks but more power to anyone who wants to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think its cheating to use miracles/magic against bosses. I think it sucks almost all of the challenge out of it, but you can do whatever the hell you want. I just don't get why you'd go out of your way to slog through all the abyss crap if you were just gonna cheese the optional boss. Seems like a waste of time, unless you wanted the inferior Xanthous set or find throwing lightning spear over and over to be fun. In which case, more power to you.

I just think the Darklurker fight itself is the reward for going through the abyss crap so I wouldn't want to cheese it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Say what you will, but I love sunbroing and only using Firestorm to damage them. I usually dance around with power stance weapons but sometimes you just gotta start a bonfire.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mzbundifund posted:

How are you even supposed to know what is considered cheesing a boss on your first time through the game?

What the gently caress? Don't you know you're supposed to sword and board through your first playthrough?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I just don't get why you'd go out of your way to slog through all the abyss crap if you were just gonna cheese the optional boss.

What do you count as cheesing? Does sunlight weapon/resins count? What about charcoal resin?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still Firebomb the Capra Demon to death and I've beaten Dark Souls 1 like five times after doing him right the first time. :shrug: Does this hurt anyone else? I don't really think it does.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Why wouldn't it be legit? Outside of outright cheating anything's fair game. That's not to say it's not boring as poo poo, generally (related: gently caress you dull sunbros that do nothing but spam lightning spears at the boss).

Oh absolutely. I feel that if it's in the game it's legit. I think it's a bit sad that some people cheese things and then go "omg this game is so boring you just stand at this area and shoot arrows for 20 minutes", but honestely? gently caress those people. If you're into this game, you'll find some way to fight those enemies without boring yourself to sleep and maybe you'll die, maybe not, but in the end you'll have fun and that's what a game's all about.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

bef posted:

What the gently caress? Don't you know you're supposed to sword and board through your first playthrough?

Board? Real men don't hide behind shields

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There is no Cheese in D. Souls. There is only Failure, Success and outright Cheating. Unless you're using a program to cheat, or using some strange map exploit to make enemies fall through the world, all is fair.

I mean, FFS the previous game had you kill a battle-hog by luring it into nearby bonfires so it slowly burned to death.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not cheesing, you are using all your tools available. I do have a problem with people who say DLer is a joke though.

Fight him without using lighting you bastards and see if you can still say he's a joke. :colbert: I dunno maybe cuz I had fun fighting him because you learn to dodge his moves and he kept you on his feet most of the time.

Especially when he splits that's when it becomes even more fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

What do you count as cheesing? Does sunlight weapon/resins count? What about charcoal resin?

Lightning spear cheeses almost every boss in the game. I thought that was pretty clear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shindragon posted:

It's not cheesing, you are using all your tools available. I do have a problem with people who say DLer is a joke though.

Fight him without using lighting you bastards and see if you can still say he's a joke. :colbert: I dunno maybe cuz I had fun fighting him because you learn to dodge his moves and he kept you on his feet most of the time.

Especially when he splits that's when it becomes even more fun.

I had lovely lightning spears because I used the dark black witch staff and was on NG+ so I had to keep rolling and dodging to avoid eating the soul greatsword combo and lasers. Dark Ricard was harder because I forgot his rapier pierces shields. It's really easy to dodge most its stuff, especially the fireballs.

quote:

Lightning spear cheeses almost every boss in the game. I thought that was pretty clear.

So you'd be okay with using sunlight weapon and soul spears instead then. It's only lightning spear you have an issue with.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
To answer the question a few pages back on why to use blue flame: what it loses in power, it makes up for in versatility (and it doesn't lose a whole lot in power if you keep it buffed, even regular magic weapon is acceptable in most PVE encounters). Whereas usually if you want to cast n slash, you need to keep weapon in mainhand and staff in offhand, you can combine them into one and put a shield in your offhand, or crossbow or second weapon or whatever. I just started PVPing with relatively-fresh dual blue flame build (had one on PS3, just remade for PC), and it is fun as hell. One duel last night ended in less than four seconds - my opponent messed up his dodge roll and got hit by crystal homing soulmass, and the stun lasted long enough to combo it into two R1s and a powerstanced L1, then I canceled the recovery on the L1 to fire a crystal soul spear and caught the guy coming out of his reflex roll-away.

Also, someone talented needs to make a mod that plays the AWP's report when you use Soul Greatsword to hit/kill someone chugging behind a wall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hey guys, I don't know if you know this but... I'm kinda pro at video games. Every waking moment is dedicated to them.

So please don't cheese video games. It takes away from the honorable gamer title we've all attained.

Only play games to improve your skills. Otherwise you will live a life of dishonor.

The gamer code cannot be besmirched by such... unimaginative playing.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
For the record, the only tactics I would call "cheesy" would mainly be tactics that exploit bugs or take advantage of limitations of the game engine/how the AI works. "Gamey" tactics would also be a good word. If you have to stop and ask yourself things like, "why the hell is this even possible? This is flat broken! It doesn't even make sense!" I'd probably call it cheesy/exploity. To me, that sort of thing in Dark Souls most commonly revolves around the way monsters leash and how the AI is too stupid to understand how cover works.

But people are more than welcome to enjoy the game in their own way. People can do whatever the hell they want in PvE. If you enjoy it, more power to you.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Vintersorg posted:

Hey guys, I don't know if you know this but... I'm kinda pro at video games. Every waking moment is dedicated to them.

So please don't cheese video games. It takes away from the honorable gamer title we've all attained.

Only play games to improve your skills. Otherwise you will live a life of dishonor.

The gamer code cannot be besmirched by such... unimaginative playing.

- Internet Kraken, a confused poster about why people do things differently than himself

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

So you'd be okay with using sunlight weapon and soul spears instead then. It's only lightning spear you have an issue with.

I don't know how effective magic is against most bosses since I haven't used it myself. If it trivializes a fight anywhere near as much as lightning spear does, then yeah I'd consider it cheap. Sunlight weapon at least requires that you actually engage the boss in melee combat, which is what every boss is balanced around. You're still at risk when you do that.

Bob NewSCART posted:

- Internet Kraken, a confused poster about why people do things differently than himself

Didn't say anything remotely like that. You're crying because I asked why someone would want to trivialize the totally optional boss fight. Get some perspective and realize how petty this is.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't that a pretty subjective call?

Throwing bolts of lightning at stuff sounds pretty fun to me.

You're totally right that it's subjective! There's just something about standing in place and hucking bolts of lightining that just seems ..

I don't know, stagnant. Not much variation to it. By all means, do it.

The only time that's ever really challenging though is when you're by yourself, and you actually have to deal with the mob's aggro. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Sunlight weapon at least requires that you actually engage the boss in melee combat, which is what every boss is balanced around. You're still at risk when you do that.

Not any more than with sorceries, since all attacks but one are ranged, and it tries to rush you down before using soul greatsword. It's not even weakest to great lightning spear; Firestorm apparently can kill it from 50% health if you cast when it splits. I like to think they playtested and balanced around more than just melee too. I mean they've got bows, items, magic, special weapon effects, etc. But then to me Dark Souls is about using everything you have to your advantage. I could also have shut it down entirely with Profound Still if I really wanted to. The only boss I had more problems with on melee than magic was Freja because of the hitbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Hahaha you guys use weapons?

Losers :smug: