Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Yep you don't lose movement speed from shooting from inside the car either, unlike when on foot. Takes some tricky finger work to hold down the w, d, and c keys simultaneously (while aiming with the mouse) to fire while driving, but you get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Mr. Wynand posted:

Wait a second wait a second.... You can shoot... while inside the car??

You can do everything you do on foot inside a car, except repair the car itself i think.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Aaand finally, I keep getting burned by trying to use belt lanes for separate things. Splitters can't actually unzip them reliably from what I can tell (when one lane runs out they'll just divide up the remaining ones). A bunch of green grabby-arms can do it but poo poo can still get backed up and starve the supply for something. Am I correct in thinking its best to limit these to last mile distribution to fast assemblers only (which can't use red arms without loosing a lot of throughput) and keep everything else in dedicated belts if possible?

Stolen from http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3920 which has a whole bunch of really well done animated GIFs with different belt tricks/behaviors.

E: You don't actually need the tile between the splitter and underground belts, I'm guessing the author left it in to make it more obvious what is happening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I no longer think it’s worth it to go solar. It does work—with efficiency modules in everything, biters will more‐or‐less leave you alone—but boilers don’t pollute that severely. Defending against the biter attacks steam power brings is no big deal with LASER turrets, the best turrets.

Conventional turrets are just bad. Aside from the issue of supplying them with ammunition, large biters have defence against them, even against AP rounds. They have no defence against LASER beams. LASER turrets also have better range.

Back To 99 posted:

You can do everything you do on foot inside a car, except repair the car itself i think.

You can’t deconstruct things from inside the car, which is annoying.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Back To 99 posted:

:monocle: this changes everything...

bitcoin bastard posted:

Stolen from http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3920 which has a whole bunch of really well done animated GIFs with different belt tricks/behaviors.

E: You don't actually need the tile between the splitter and underground belts, I'm guessing the author left it in to make it more obvious what is happening.

So underground belt entrances actually let half a lane pass right into their sides? Ugh I hate this sort accidental gimmicky poo poo you have to rely on. Reminds me of minecraft's "logic" gates. This should just be a green splitter or something. Still, useful for what we have now, thanks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

There's a mod that adds all sorts of other belt-helpers, like unzippers, and 2-to-1 devices, etc.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I figured out that even with the huge amount of real estate I have, the amount of capacitors and solar panels I would ahve to place would be....massive.

I mean, we are talking just huge.

I am already auto-churning out the T3 science packs and the most advanced processors, and I have 800 solar panels. Yet if all my turrets wanted to fire, I could only power half.

SAD TROMBONE.

So what is my option? Massive coal-fired farms of steam engines? Oil-based solid fuels?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Considering oil is relatively speaking a pain in the rear end to import and not altogether that plentiful to begin with, I'd save it for polymers and just use coal yah.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

if all my turrets wanted to fire

This will never ever happen. Relax.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

Considering oil is relatively speaking a pain in the rear end to import and not altogether that plentiful to begin with, I'd save it for polymers and just use coal yah.

I build a solid fuel line and stick it at the beginning of my coal feed into the power plant area. Use a detection system using smart chests and inserters to switch over to solid fuel if coal runs out while I'm not paying attention. Lost a base to a coal shortage. Power went down->land mine replenishment goes down->base goes down.

Are they planning on adding some kind of gate? Destructing my walls to get in and out of my base is annoying.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Yeah coal feed issues can be brutal. A few emergency chests are probably a good idea.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So getting enough hot water in from a supply to feed an array of engines seems....challenging.

I get the feeling a large number of pipes per array.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I just use a few, smaller plants.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
1 pump per 14 boilers per 10 steam engines - put series of these on the same pipeline.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So you're saying that Pump-X Boilerx-Y Engines should all go in series, and should not be split into parallel lines?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Parallel series of 1/14/10 is optimal I believe.

Like:

code:
[pump x 1]====[burner x 14]===[steam engine x 10]

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are they planning on adding some kind of gate? Destructing my walls to get in and out of my base is annoying.

Having your base totally walled in is a bad idea anyway, because it makes biter attacks less predictable. If you have a few "gates" (read: big holes) in your walls, they'll always go for those if they can, which makes fortification a lot cheaper.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So what is my option? Massive coal-fired farms of steam engines? Oil-based solid fuels?

I use solid fuel. You’d be surprised how much you can get from a single oil well, especially if you milk it with modules (speed on the well, productivity on everything else).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What do people think of the newly increased base price for alpha access? I just wrote up a description of the game (which I love) for another forum, and slightly stumbled when I saw that they had increased the price 50%.

Now... I've gotten a lot more playtime out of it than I have out of many $60 games that I've played to completion (SR4 being the most recent example), and a lot more than $30 early access games on Steam like Prison Architect, but still...

It feels like a "You must buy this, no questions asked" at 10, and a "I would still buy this for myself, but you need to try the demo first" at 15.

The way I handled power plants was that I went through a whole lot of effort to set up my first one on an automated coal line, and then thereafter I would just use a requester chest requesting solid fuel (built up from heavy oil since you'll never use up all of your heavy oil on lubricant) and running it around a short circular chain of belts through my boilers. I'm going to need to reconsider that for future playthroughs, but it just seems much easier to deal with solid fuel when considering robots, especially since you also use coal to make plastics and to smelt things for the longest time (electric furnaces being so big and just the same speed as steel furnaces makes me loathe to replace steel furnaces with them since it always requires a labor intensive rebuild of my whole smelting area).

Out of curiosity, how many oil drums can a train car hold? I've used a train for steel, copper, and coal but have yet to try it for oil.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mr. Wynand posted:

Parallel series of 1/14/10 is optimal I believe.

Like:

code:

iirc it is 1/13/10, so you would have to look that up or try it out.
Because...well, a boiler is a boiler and wasted tons of coal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Michaellaneous posted:

iirc it is 1/13/10, so you would have to look that up or try it out.
Because...well, a boiler is a boiler and wasted tons of coal.

Thirteen boilers will get you to 99% of maximum power output. There’s no wasted coal with more boilers than you need. This isn’t Minecraft; the boiler just magically stops burning in the middle of a lump of coal if its power becomes superfluous and picks up right where it left off if power demand increases.

Either you build slightly more steam engines than you need or slightly more boilers. Personally, I build fourteen boilers per ten steam engines because boilers are small and steam engines are not.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Having your base totally walled in is a bad idea anyway, because it makes biter attacks less predictable. If you have a few "gates" (read: big holes) in your walls, they'll always go for those if they can, which makes fortification a lot cheaper.

I have not noticed much difference in attack patters in walled city verses pill boxes. It seems once a nest is aggro on you they always to head to the same area along the same path. The only thing that seems to change this is radical changes in your pollution map, the presents of new distractions along the attack path, or the death of the nest.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 5, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kytrarewn posted:

What do people think of the newly increased base price for alpha access? I just wrote up a description of the game (which I love) for another forum, and slightly stumbled when I saw that they had increased the price 50%.

Now... I've gotten a lot more playtime out of it than I have out of many $60 games that I've played to completion (SR4 being the most recent example), and a lot more than $30 early access games on Steam like Prison Architect, but still...

It feels like a "You must buy this, no questions asked" at 10, and a "I would still buy this for myself, but you need to try the demo first" at 15.
I think the increased price is OK. But only because they have a Demo. I would buy a 10 Euro game based on a cool concepts and some vague recommendations, but not a 15 Euro game.

Though maybe I am wrong person to ask, as I bought the 50 Euro luxury package of Factorio.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm worried the price will be like minecraft, going from "A steal, get it immediately" to "A good deal" to "Kinda expensive" and finally to "Can't recommend anymore". In my humble estimation, we're at step 2.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One thing I never tried - what happens when you put a bunch of oil through a lot of boilers and get the temperature up to ridicolous levels?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Michaellaneous posted:

One thing I never tried - what happens when you put a bunch of oil through a lot of boilers and get the temperature up to ridicolous levels?

You get pretty hot oil

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

You get pretty hot oil

So tanks exploding from too much pressure or something?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

No, the oil is just hot. Boilers won't heat fluids past 100 C, and there's no model of pressure or combustion or anything. The oil just gets hot, and stays hot, until you pump it into a steam engine.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
I built some conveyor belts wrong, and a bunch of iron ore is stuck on them. Now when I relay the belts it doesn't actually move on, it's totally blocked up. How do I get rid of these random pieces lying around? I can't seem to find a way to pick it up/mine it/destroy it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

No, the oil is just hot. Boilers won't heat fluids past 100 C, and there's no model of pressure or combustion or anything. The oil just gets hot, and stays hot, until you pump it into a steam engine.

Pumping oil into a steam engine sounds suboptimal.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Krolm posted:

I built some conveyor belts wrong, and a bunch of iron ore is stuck on them. Now when I relay the belts it doesn't actually move on, it's totally blocked up. How do I get rid of these random pieces lying around? I can't seem to find a way to pick it up/mine it/destroy it.

There's a pickup key, I think it's F. Just hold it down and run around.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Michaellaneous posted:

Pumping oil into a steam engine sounds suboptimal.

Wait, is oil more power-generative than water?

or does it heat faster?

ie: is there any benefit to using my giant excess of heavy or light oil instead of water in a steam engine? (assuming its possible)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Why aren't you cracking your light oil into petroleum and using your heavy oil for making lubricant and MAXIMUM conveyor belts?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Yeah coal feed issues can be brutal. A few emergency chests are probably a good idea.

I finally ended up putting my coal on its own electric network so it wouldn't be affected by brown outs (yeah yeah I should just fix my main network but I overbuilt like crazy).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wait, is oil more power-generative than water?

or does it heat faster?

ie: is there any benefit to using my giant excess of heavy or light oil instead of water in a steam engine? (assuming its possible)

No, it’s just that Factorio’s fluid mechanics are weird and steam engines don’t care what fluid you pump into them as long as it’s hot.

Sage Grimm posted:

Why aren't you cracking your light oil into petroleum and using your heavy oil for making lubricant and MAXIMUM conveyor belts?

Because there’s a time before you’ve researched advanced oil processing.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm already doing that. I have 16 tanks of crude and 16 tanks of petro. gas, light oil and heavy oil, with 2 cracking light to petro. gas. Meanwhile, I have a station auto-fabbing express belts.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

I finally ended up putting my coal on its own electric network so it wouldn't be affected by brown outs (yeah yeah I should just fix my main network but I overbuilt like crazy).

I use multiple electric networks but it's mainly because I'm weird.

e: It can be semi-useful when you want to have a guaranteed power setup for something. If you couple the network to another network by way of a few accumulators that overlap both networks (doable by shift-clicking a pole to isolate it from the network and then replacing a pole "behind" it to reconnect it only on one side, or else manually reconnecting by stringing copper cable like colored wire), then any excess from one network will spill over into the other network if it's low enough to be drawing on accumulators. I think this is neat and use it when unnecessary.

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

esquilax posted:

There's a pickup key, I think it's F. Just hold it down and run around.

Thanks, must've missed that one!

Really enjoying this game, it scratches that building itch!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I may have built myself into a corner with my rail stations:

I can't figure out how to have these tracks cross each other with signals. I'm probably going to rebuild it into a "network" but for now I just need some drat copper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shintaro posted:

If you couple the network to another network by way of a few accumulators that overlap both networks (doable by shift-clicking a pole to isolate it from the network and then replacing a pole "behind" it to reconnect it only on one side, or else manually reconnecting by stringing copper cable like colored wire), then any excess from one network will spill over into the other network if it's low enough to be drawing on accumulators. I think this is neat and use it when unnecessary.

Interesting idea. The difference between a direct connection is that the loads on either side get priority for generation on their side, right?

That would be a more useful trick if LASER turrets didn’t get priority anyway.