Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Wonderful, the launcher just emergency-updated itself or whatever during the game download, 1 hour down the drain.
GOTY right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
:japan: .txt http://warthunder.com/en/news/639-War-Thunder-Nations-Japan-en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lfRhmhA_0

quote:

Bushido, a modern term rather than a historical one, originates from the samurai moral values, most commonly stressing some combination of frugality, loyalty, martial arts mastery, and honor unto death. Born from Neo-Confucianism during times of peace in Tokugawa Japan and following Confucian texts, Bushido was also influenced by Shinto and Zen Buddhism, allowing the violent existence of the samurai to be tempered by wisdom and serenity. Bushido developed between the 16th and 20th centuries, debated by pundits who believed they were building on a legacy dating from the 10th century, although some scholars have noted "the term bushido itself is rarely attested in premodern literature."

This honour system was carried forward throughout history into World War II, sometimes misunderstood, sometimes misplaced, it was nonetheless, used by the Japanese nation throughout the war.

Also Ki-27: http://devblog.warthunder.com/2014/06/05/ki-27-otsu-2/?hl=en

quote:

Author: The War Thunder Team

The Ki-27 was the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force’s main fighter until the start of World War II. When placed into combat service over northern China in March 1938, the Ki-27 enjoyed air superiority until the introduction of the faster Soviet-built Polikarpov I-16 fighters by the Chinese.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Wonderful, the launcher just emergency-updated itself or whatever during the game download, 1 hour down the drain.
GOTY right there.

Tell us more about your problems

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Is plane ammo selection just broken? It seems completely random as to wether it will let me use the ammo I select or not.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Lol, whenever someone says do the math regarding this game. Sorry bud, your spreadsheets did not save you from being bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sweet. Ki-27 "Nate" (also frequently, but mistakenly called "Abdul")! We really did need a few more low tier Japanese fighters
Now if only they'd toss in that Ki-43 variant.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
New PS4 player here. I was doing alright and then I bought a package that came with a plane and some gold. Which I used to buy another plane. Now, I'm getting mauled.

Does the game place you into matches by your plane rating or your experience level?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rubicon posted:

New PS4 player here. I was doing alright and then I bought a package that came with a plane and some gold. Which I used to buy another plane. Now, I'm getting mauled.

Does the game place you into matches by your plane rating or your experience level?

Yes. Someone more familiar with arcade can explain it, but it's some equation where your battle ranking (shown in the plane's stat card) for matchmaking is the 3 highest BRs in your lineup, averaged.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Thanks, time to switch countries for a while.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes. Someone more familiar with arcade can explain it, but it's some equation where your battle ranking (shown in the plane's stat card) for matchmaking is the 3 highest BRs in your lineup, averaged.

Doesn't that mean you can put your best plane/tank in one slot and then just put reserves in the rest, putting you in matches way below your BR?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dezztroy posted:

Doesn't that mean you can put your best plane/tank in one slot and then just put reserves in the rest, putting you in matches way below your BR?

I don't know, a dev explains it here:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/125109-battle-rating-for-arcade-matchmaking-explained-139/

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Rubicon posted:

Thanks, time to switch countries for a while.

Or just swap those higher rank planes out of your lineup for a while :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Dezztroy posted:

The maximum range that has an effect is 1 BR, which means unless you really like a plane, its pointless to take something less than 1 BR below your highest if you want to game the system. It averages your 3 highest BR's and then rounds up or down to the nearest BR tier (3.5 rounds to 3.3 rather than 3.7 apparently :confused:).

For example: taking 3 BR 4.0 vehicles into a CA match, your matchmaking BR is 4.0. Taking 2x3.0 and 1x4.0, your matchmaking BR is 3.3.

It works exactly how they say it does, and I'm not sure why there's still confusion over it.

See Mr Darcy's post.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 5, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Another Patch.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?showtopic=148235

quote:

• Changes in economic and battle ratings (check the changes post)
  • Targets in test drive for ground vehicles now depends on chosen nation
  • Fixed traverse and elevation angles for Panther II, Pz.Kpfw. VI ausf B Tiger II (all modifications), Pz.Kpfw. VI ausf H1 Tiger, on some traverse angles maximum elevation angle is limited. Now the gun won’t go through tank details.
  • Thickness of the armour after which it creates secondary debris after penetration has been decreased.
  • Fixed error where crew could be locked inside the battle
  • Fixed “No airfield available” error message
  • Fixed wrong visualisation of the amount of shells in vehicle selection screen.
  • Several client crashes have been fixed.
  • PS4: fixed crash due to connection lost

You can now try to kill those really tough T-34's in your German tanks, discover all those hard to find weak spots!

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Sherman BR raised to 3.7, no other changes noted. Bizarrely, the SU-122P also got bumped up in BR like a whole point, for reasons I don't quite understand.

Also Tiger -> 4.7 rather than 5, so T-35-57's will see them.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

The maximum range that has an effect is 1 BR, which means unless you really like a plane, its pointless to take something less than 1 BR below your highest if you want to game the system. It averages your 3 highest BR's and then rounds up or down to the nearest BR tier (3.5 rounds to 3.3 rather than 3.7 apparently :confused:).

For example: taking 3 BR 4.0 vehicles into a CA match, your matchmaking BR is 4.0. Taking 2x3.0 and 1x4.0, your matchmaking BR is 3.3.

It works exactly how they say it does, and I'm not sure why there's still confusion over it.

That's not how they say it works though. In your example the overall BR would be 3.7.

If the BR between your highest ranked vehicle and the 2nd/3rd highest ranked ones then they use (highest BR)-0.6 for the 2nd/3rd ratings.

The calcs are:

TotalBR = (BR1+(BR2+BR3)/2)/2

So in your example:

tBR = (4+(3.4+3.4)/2)/2
tBR = (4+(6.8/2)/2
tBR = (4+3.4)/2
tBR = 7.4/2
tBR = 3.7

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Premium T-34-57 dropped to 4.0BR. Not really a tank that needed a buff, but hey.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So, is the PS4 version keeping pace with PC updates? Has Sony relaxed the patch restrictions or something?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

What the gently caress is it with :japan: pubbie teams always wasting themselves on bot wellington tail gunners? We had a match in the bag with most of our team vs two bot wellingtons and a Kingcobra, all our pubbies died to Ryo's tail gunner and the Kingcobra mopped up all the other ones who were rearming on a carrier. I ended up dying to AAA after I chased the Kingcobra all the way back to his base in my Hien after I was the only one left.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I sniped a friendly Chaika with a single shot from my SPAA. He wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

YellerBill posted:

What the gently caress is it with :japan: pubbie teams always wasting themselves on bot wellington tail gunners? We had a match in the bag with most of our team vs two bot wellingtons and a Kingcobra, all our pubbies died to Ryo's tail gunner and the Kingcobra mopped up all the other ones who were rearming on a carrier. I ended up dying to AAA after I chased the Kingcobra all the way back to his base in my Hien after I was the only one left.

Japanese teams really went downhill when they added the Sabre. Idiots see it as the easiest way to get a cool jet and flock to Japan despite having no clue how to fly their planes. Sometimes you'll get a decent team, sometimes you'll get one that's even more retarded than your average American team.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The best way to kill japan is to fly B25s and B17s

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For those that were complaining about being Lion-poor:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/137338-br-price-changes-in-141/

They are reducing repair costs across the board. Some are REALLY significant, like the cannon Bearcat going from 28k lions to 9550 in Realistic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Teeter posted:

I sniped a friendly Chaika with a single shot from my SPAA. He wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was.

In me and a friend's first combined arms match yesterday his Lagg got pasted by the ranging shots from friendly artillery while he was a kilometer up. :v:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The first Bearcat (M3s) is now BR 5.3. I'll be able to fight these with my :britain: Hellcat if this keeps going on.
Yak-9u is 4.3
Kingfisher 1.0

MC 202 -> 2.0 Sealclub ahoi

Meh looked at the wrong speadsheet

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tank Boy Ken posted:

FW190 A5 -> 5.0
FW190 A5/U2 -> 5.3! Sadly I suck with the A5 Fick Wolfs

That's how they show up in AB, but in RB they're still 4.7. I wonder if it's a display bug, because I have one in my Tiger lineup and I've been fighting full teams of T-44s still today.

edit: nope, they're still supposed to be 4.7. Here's the current BR changes http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/148131-br-price-changes-in-141-5th-june/#entry2768441

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wasn't the 202 already BR2.0?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wasn't the 202 already BR2.0?

Yeah, everyone's been looking at the original 1.41 BR changes, not the ones they did today.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Thief posted:

Except that is quite literally confirmation bias. Are the planes more agile now because I stopped getting hit today? :smugdog:

Actually that is quite literally not what confirmation bias is. Even if it was, my question was rhetorical. Confirmation bias is when you ignore information that conflicts with your beliefs in favor of those that support it. E.g. Someone told me they buffed the Tiger. It's true, I've been bouncing way more shots than before!. And even then, that's not necessarily confirmation bias if the pattern that the person is observing is actually true (although their conclusion would still be incorrect).

All I'm doing is recognizing an anomalous pattern without any kind of prior belief (and yes, it is possible for patterns to emerge that are not imagined). Sheesh.

e: VVVV :colbert:

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2014

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Subyng posted:

Actually that is quite literally not what confirmation bias is. Even if it was, my question was rhetorical. Confirmation bias is when you ignore information that conflicts with your beliefs in favor of those that support it. E.g. Someone told me they buffed the Tiger. It's true, I've been bouncing way more shots than before!. And even then, that's not necessarily confirmation bias if the pattern that the person is observing is actually true (although their conclusion would still be incorrect).

All I'm doing is recognizing an anomalous pattern without any kind of prior belief (and yes, it is possible for patterns to emerge that are not imagined). Sheesh.

:goonsay:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Doesn't destroying the cannon breech on a tank prevent it from firing? I just got killed by an F2 I thought was harmless because my first shot knocked his breech out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Doesn't destroying the cannon breech on a tank prevent it from firing? I just got killed by an F2 I thought was harmless because my first shot knocked his breech out.

Sometimes the game tells you a module is dead, but it isn't really. I've been killed under similar circumstances. I've also had the game tell me 'Yo your transmission is shot' and kept on driving with no problems whatsoever.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think breech means they can't reload, so if there's a round in the chamber before they fire it, they can still use it. Canon barrel prevents them from firing, but not reloading.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

Premium T-34-57 dropped to 4.0BR. Not really a tank that needed a buff, but hey.

Aww that means I won't be able to blast Tigers away with it anymore :smith:

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think breech means they can't reload, so if there's a round in the chamber before they fire it, they can still use it. Canon barrel prevents them from firing, but not reloading.

A damaged breech can also mean a catastrophic failure and blow up the tank afflicted by it

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bolow posted:

Aww that means I won't be able to blast Tigers away with it anymore :smith:

It still sees Tigers somewhat often, because the Tiger was dropped to 4.7BR.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Does anyone else experience the notifications for what you've broken on enemy tanks being just plain wrong? I'll often get notifications that I'm seriously breaking all their stuff like completely blacked out vertical and horizontal turret drive but then I'll see the turret moving to track me. Other times I'll get a yellow track damage notification but their track is visibly snapped and they are unable to turn towards me.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oxide uploaded a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNf3bHzJ2qs

Gotta try if they are really that good. Looks like freedom belt quality to me.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Well Japanese and Italian .50 tracer belts are all API-T so they look good and that is all that matters.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

You know, I'm just waiting for someone to ironically/unironically whine on the forums re: PS4 implementation.

Console-players are marked with a star. In a WW2 game. For... identification purposes? Like the jews?

Anyone else think of this? Or am I just horrible and stretching

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Michaellaneous posted:

Oxide uploaded a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNf3bHzJ2qs

Gotta try if they are really that good. Looks like freedom belt quality to me.

The trick is to get close. If I'm .6 km out or further my hits don't seem to do anything.

• Locked thread