Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Astro7x posted:

This is pretty great. I was considering buying Bowling and Tennis (not a fan of golf) but I might as well get the disc at this point if it means getting all four and not dealing with digital storage issues.

Same, bowling online is great enough because it's so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

I have 25$ bestbuy credit.
W101 worth it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Louisgod posted:

They should've released this on day one. Oh well.
Huh yeah. I'd prefer a disc but I've already downloaded two of the games, so I guess I'll just stick to digital for the rest.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Forbin5 posted:

W101 worth it?

Yes, buy it.

That should really be in the thread title.

Wii U Discussion - Yes, buy The Wonderful 101

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Louisgod posted:

They should've released this on day one. Oh well.
As a disc with nothing on it and the individual sports as free DLC as they were completed?

Considering the first sports weren't even ready at launch, that would of been a bit hard otherwise.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wii U seems to be picking up momentum, I really hope they have 3-4 new games to announce during their E3 direct and not just, "Bayonetta, X and SMT vs Fire Emblem are still coming we promise!"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll show a little bit of the next Zelda game in their E3 Direct. (No way it'll be released this year though)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll show a little bit of the next Zelda game in their E3 Direct. (No way it'll be released this year though)

It's been in development for quite a while (Wind Waker HD was built on it's engine as a proof-of-concept), so it very well might make a December release.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

fuxxo posted:

Can anyone tell me what I would miss out on by buying a WiiU from a different region to my 3DS?

Shared eShop wallet, different Club Nintendo promos, and I think that's it?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Forbin5 posted:

W101 worth it?

Try the demo, it isn't for everyone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's been in development for quite a while (Wind Waker HD was built on it's engine as a proof-of-concept), so it very well might make a December release.
I really would not count on it. At all. Zelda games are more likely to hit delays than be released ahead of schedule.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Wii U seems to be picking up momentum, I really hope they have 3-4 new games to announce during their E3 direct and not just, "Bayonetta, X and SMT vs Fire Emblem are still coming we promise!"

Considering one of those is about two degrees from being vapourware I would be ecstatic just to get this announcement.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yes, buy it.

That should really be in the thread title.

Wii U Discussion - Yes, buy The Wonderful 101

This game is not for everyone just like Persona 4 is not for everyone.

Please do not recommend it to everyone.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No game is "for everyone." Shall we stop recommending things based on the chance of someone not doing a sanity check on their own time?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

zenintrude posted:

This game is not for everyone just like Persona 4 is not for everyone.

Please do not recommend it to everyone.

Persona 4 is not for everyone, I agree.

Shin Megami Tensei IV, however, is. :getin:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PerrineClostermann posted:

No game is "for everyone." Shall we stop recommending things based on the chance of someone not doing a sanity check on their own time?

Wonderful 101 is not for a lot of people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah lots of people didn't care for it, but not liking platinum games seems like a probatable offense sometimes so they keep their mouths shut.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just wait until Bayonetta 2 comes out and you can put that in the title instead.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Fortunately there is a demo for W101 and it's well done enough to the point you can figure out if the game is for you or not.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Forbin5 posted:

W101 worth it?

Do you like awesome games that reward skill? Do you like Bayonetta, or Okami? Do you like awesome video games that are awesome and amazing? Do you like comedy? Do you like GIANT ROBOTS AND ALIENS AND LASERS AND POW BANG BOOM KERPOW SUPERHEROES?

'cause if so you may like the Wonderful 101 it's just the best game on the Wii U right now so I dunno!

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

Forbin5 posted:

W101 worth it?

Are you patient? Because the game can be very frustrating at times, especially since they rarely tell you what to do and the camera can be awful.

Once you figure it out though, it can be fun. I also like the game's atmosphere and general silliness, although the way they present the pink female ranger is really weird. Far too sexualized for what should be a kid's game, but :japan: guess

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do you like awesome games that reward skill? Do you like Bayonetta, or Okami? Do you like awesome video games that are awesome and amazing? Do you like comedy? Do you like GIANT ROBOTS AND ALIENS AND LASERS AND POW BANG BOOM KERPOW SUPERHEROES?

'cause if so you may like the Wonderful 101 it's just the best game on the Wii U right now so I dunno!

I mean it's okay I guess. Just not really my type of game or whatever but I can see where some people would enjoy it. I disagree that it's the best game on the Wii U though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The best game on Wii U is upscaled Metroid Prime but that's sort of unfair.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Lemming posted:

The best game on Wii U is upscaled Metroid Prime but that's sort of unfair.

Stupid question: Is there a benefit to playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on a Wii U rather than an original Wii with component cables? Is HDMI noticeably clearer?

I'm very tempted by the Wii U Mario Kart bundle, especially since I don't own a wiimote+, but I'm currently in the middle of MPT so I haven't bitten yet. I mean, I guess I have until July to take advantage of the free game deal, anyway, but I'm curious.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Wii U will look better if your TV has a bad analog to digital converter. It doesn't really look much different for most people though. It's worth noting that you can transfer your Metroid Prime saves and keep playing it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Stupid question: Is there a benefit to playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on a Wii U rather than an original Wii with component cables? Is HDMI noticeably clearer?

I'm very tempted by the Wii U Mario Kart bundle, especially since I don't own a wiimote+, but I'm currently in the middle of MPT so I haven't bitten yet. I mean, I guess I have until July to take advantage of the free game deal, anyway, but I'm curious.

Not really noticeable. You'd need to compare them side by side to maybe be able to tell, but any system you can play Metroid Prime on is going to be the best game for that system. I certainly wouldn't buy a Wii U just for that if you already have a Wii.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I skipped the initial Wii and it's games. Is now a good time to pick up a Wii U MK8 bundle? Holding off on a PS4 until this fall, I think.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Lemming posted:

Not really noticeable. You'd need to compare them side by side to maybe be able to tell, but any system you can play Metroid Prime on is going to be the best game for that system. I certainly wouldn't buy a Wii U just for that if you already have a Wii.

Yeah, I wouldn't get it just for HDMI. I'm interested in all the big Wii U games. I just would feel dumb buying it right now and then using it to continue my playthrough of MP before moving on to a native Wii U game.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

kloa posted:

I skipped the initial Wii and it's games. Is now a good time to pick up a Wii U MK8 bundle? Holding off on a PS4 until this fall, I think.

If you have never owned a Wii then a Wii U is an excellent purchase, assuming you want to play Wii U games as well. There's lots of quality games that will probably be recommended to you over the next page.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't get it just for HDMI. I'm interested in all the big Wii U games. I just would feel dumb buying it right now and then using it to continue my playthrough of MP before moving on to a native Wii U game.

But then you could play it using the tablet as a screen and since it's tinier the graphics look better :pcgaming:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kewpuh posted:

I mean it's okay I guess. Just not really my type of game or whatever but I can see where some people would enjoy it. I disagree that it's the best game on the Wii U though

Having played ZombiU and Wonderful 101...gonna say, W101 is the better game. :colbert:

I even played ZombiU first! And it's fine. It's cool. But you don't play play 3-D Galaga in ZombiU...or Drill Dozer with laser beams. Or fight giant robot dragons and dodge their fire balls to freeze time, create a sword made out of 80 people and smash them into a stunned state so you can use your flaming fists to combo them into each other, freeze them with a time displacement explosive, then run to a safe distance and shoot them with bullets made out of people.

Or (mid-game spoilers)play Punch-Out with a giant mecha.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kloa posted:

If you've never owned a Wii then yes, absolutely. Ontop of the handful of awesome WiiU games (3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101 & ZombiU if those two are your kind of game, etc), you have tons awesome Wii games you've never experienced. The Mario Galaxy games are incredible, and Donkey Kong Country Returns is awesome (play that before Tropical Freeze).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kloa posted:

Yes. Between the Wii U and Wii's library, I think it's a pretty good buy now. You also get to choose another free game with the bundle if you weren't aware.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

kloa posted:

Possibly. There are some good games out there that are fun. Mario 3D, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Pikman 3, and Rayman Legends (Cross Platform)

I love playing Mario Kart 8, but I am seeing a rinse and repeat of a lot of content and play styles across their IP's currently and it's kind of discouraging. I have owned a Wii U since day one, and because of Mario Kart 8, I have played it more now in the last couple of days than since I have had it, even with the games listed above. Right now if you are really a huge Nintendo fan and you haven't played Wind Waker, it is worth it and choose Wind Waker as your free game. Other than that, about 5 games are worth it and most of those you have played before in one fashion or another. More of the same, just different level design. If that doesn't bug you, it would probably be worth it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Speaking of good Wii games, Muramasa: The Demon Blade was pretty awesome. I never actually beat it because the last boss was tough as nails though. Must've tried that fight 50 times before giving up.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Donkey Kong is the best game on the system, but I thought the first Donkey Kong was the best game on the Wii so I'm probably biased.

I really loving like Donkey Kong, not so much the originals though.

E: Barrel and Kart levels rule, maybe you're just playing too much baby Drak Souls and can't acclimate to a man's game. :smug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid Prime is the One True Retro series, I'll cut you fcuker

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of good Wii games, Muramasa: The Demon Blade was pretty awesome. I never actually beat it because the last boss was tough as nails though. Must've tried that fight 50 times before giving up.

Once you do that, you unlock the mode where one hit is instant death. A super fun game no matter how you play it though, and worth a look for anybody who skipped the original Wii.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Is there any way to disable the TV remote functionality of the gamepad? It seems to be messing with my receiver since I have my receiver and TV linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't press the TV button?

• Locked thread