Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Reddit sorts their threaded comments by the outermost post's vote count. Therefore, higher voted posts appear at the top of the list even if they weren't made first. That puts new comment threads, which start at 0 in either direction, buried below already existing stuff. Reddit's layout is poo poo.

Also long threads result in you losing your ability to easily figure out what people are responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Broand posted:

My complaints about the setting would mostly be around that it doesn't feel that consistent. You can venture into areas made entirely out of bones and tar or eldritch-esque tentacles or flesh and then go somewhere different immediately afterward that is silly and nonsensical, or your character would comment humorously on an object while they were in the middle of a torture room. Pos get some hate probably because they're based in sewers. Dark, dirty tunnels filled with cute smiling poos is kinda jarring, sort of like they've been imported from some other game.
I don't know. It doesn't feel any more schizophrenic than say, Terraria, which juxtaposes internet memes and silly enemies with spike-covered metal flaming skulls straight out of a middle schooler's doodled notebook margins. Nobody ever seemed to mind about that. But because Starbound has actual lore a lot of folks seem to be treating it really seriously.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

mollygos posted:

Hey lovely goons

How do YOU feel about our horse AI? I, for one, think it's beautiful. Some disagree. :(

Personally I would rather it be a chess knight, because all I see in that picture is Sarah Jessica Parker.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CJacobs posted:

Reddit sorts their threaded comments by the outermost post's vote count. Therefore, higher voted posts appear at the top of the list even if they weren't made first. That puts new comment threads, which start at 0 in either direction, buried below already existing stuff. Reddit's layout is poo poo.

Or change comment sorting to New.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kyrosiris posted:

Or change comment sorting to New.

It should be like that by default.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

It really should.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know. It doesn't feel any more schizophrenic than say, Terraria, which juxtaposes internet memes and silly enemies with spike-covered metal flaming skulls straight out of a middle schooler's doodled notebook margins. Nobody ever seemed to mind about that. But because Starbound has actual lore a lot of folks seem to be treating it really seriously.

Is it really the "Lore" that did/does that? Starbound always seemed to be more of a sort of cartoon to me. Goofy robots that act like knights, carnivorous plants with lolrandumssssstab comments, Big Ape 1984, weeaboo fishpeople. I find it hard to believe that people look at that and say "oh, because there's some backstory written this must be a serious game."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Alien lifeforms communicating by loud wet farts are a serious matter damnit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately, it still doesn't stop you losing your place when there are about 400 replies to one comment, and you forget or can't tell (from those thin little lines) who's replying to who.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MrLonghair posted:

Alien lifeforms communicating by loud wet farts are a serious matter damnit.

I think I remember reading a sci-fi book that had that as a side plot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Potsticker posted:

I find it hard to believe that people look at that and say "oh, because there's some backstory written this must be a serious game."
Then prepare to be surprised, because a little of that is all it took for people to instantly make their own preconceptions about the game before it even came out. People were griping that the poo monsters ruined the "serious" tone of the game before it was even playable. They just sort of made up in their heads what the tone of the game was and then, when they found out they were wrong, blamed the developers for not adhering to their imagination.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Stormfang1502 posted:

Personally I would rather it be a chess knight, because all I see in that picture is Sarah Jessica Parker.

Chest knight.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mollygos posted:

How do YOU feel about our horse AI? I, for one, think it's beautiful. Some disagree. :(
A big ol' :shrug:

It's not exactly out of place in a game with poop golems.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Then prepare to be surprised, because a little of that is all it took for people to instantly make their own preconceptions about the game before it even came out. People were griping that the poo monsters ruined the "serious" tone of the game before it was even playable. They just sort of made up in their heads what the tone of the game was and then, when they found out they were wrong, blamed the developers for not adhering to their imagination.

I don't know about everybody else but I can't take a cartoony pixel block game with sarcastic space robots that think they're medieval people the least bit seriously.

Incidentally those are some of the same things that make me like Starbound.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Potsticker posted:

[The Novakid AI would be] A tin star.
Clever.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ I always thought they'd be bartenders. But yes, that would be punny.

half of Reddit posted:

starbound is supposed to be ~serious~

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Some of them just happen to be poo golems and horse-headed women with outsized racks. Space is fuckin' weird.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Man, I think i'm suffering a burnout on modding Starbound. I coded a research system where you get genes from monsters using a sampler, identify them with a microscope and then find combinations that yield new recipes for you to use, but now that i've finished the infrastructure and it's time to do content, my brain just keeps sliding away from it and puking at the thought of working on stuff anymore.
Feels bad man. :smith:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I Said No posted:

Man, I think i'm suffering a burnout on modding Starbound. ... my brain just keeps sliding away from it and puking at the thought of working on stuff anymore.

That is the point in development you should of been delegating to reduce the workload on yourself!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I Said No posted:

Man, I think i'm suffering a burnout on modding Starbound. I coded a research system where you get genes from monsters using a sampler, identify them with a microscope and then find combinations that yield new recipes for you to use, but now that i've finished the infrastructure and it's time to do content, my brain just keeps sliding away from it and puking at the thought of working on stuff anymore.

This sounds awesome, like he said, farm out the content creation to other people.

If the framework is easy enough to use anyway :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If nothing else, the game will always be there later.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

If nothing else, the game will always be there later.

This is the mentality I'm taking with my mod. I just got super burnt-out on spriting in starbound's style, so I'm waiting a bit to go back to it.

There was like 5 people using my race anyways. Everyone else was just using the furry race ones.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Which race mods beside the Skellies are non-furry?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Novakid.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I always think of those guys as "coming soon," but I really should give them a try.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

How much has this game developed since it went early access? I bought it back then but it was a bit too bare bones back then so I put it off. So is this any closer to being finished nowadays?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nope

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A helpful calendar of updates was posted earlier. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The most political answer anyone can give is "it's still being actively developed, but it's not as far along as people would like".

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Potsticker posted:

Mine were 1950s bug people.

They honestly stood out pretty well next to "Humans but more anime", "Generic Fantasy Elves", and "Prostitute Catgirls" as the early race mods. Then suddenly there was like 50 types of wolf/fox/etc people.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Am I the only one who is hoping the bird AI has tits as to make the people who make the "boob less" bird mod angry?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Technically Mantizi, as they're Roman Beetles. More of a carapace thing going on.

Speaking of them, and mods, I'm going to resume working on them when the next update hits. I kind of wore myself out a bit, so I'm taking a break.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Am I the only one who is hoping the bird AI has tits as to make the people who make the "boob less" bird mod angry?

The Bird AI is the red crystal thing. And yes you're creepy.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

ColHannibal posted:

I actually don't mind the bird tits, cum guns, and poop monsters. I just don't want to look at Sarah Jessica Horsetits and somehow feel like I got trapped in HBO's "Sex in the Starbase". I mean those bitches whine more than any Starbound sperg.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Stormfang1502 posted:

I actually don't mind the bird tits, cum guns, and poop monsters. I just don't want to look at Sarah Jessica Horsetits and somehow feel like I got trapped in HBO's "Sex in the Starbase". I mean those bitches whine more than any Starbound sperg.

Jesus Christ, are you going to follow this up with some jokes about Monica Lewinsky?

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Jesus Christ, are you going to follow this up with some jokes about Monica Lewinsky?

I just flew in, and boy is my energy bar depleted

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

Sorry Matthew. Loved you in Ferris Bueller btw

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The HBO show is never coming back no matter how hard you try, Dennis.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What in the hell just happened to this thread. The teasing of updates is making people delirious.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Give him a break, no one responded the first time he made this same joke a day or two ago so he's gotta give it another shot.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Admin commands are getting unlocked! Get hyped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Shoehead posted:

Admin commands are getting unlocked! Get hyped!

gently caress I cannot wait! That's the one thing I've kept bugging the devs for since initial phase 1 beta.

• Locked thread