Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I have a question, it says TN is better than IPS for gaming, but how much so?

It's really not. If you constantly play competitive first person shooters, then there are 144hz TN panels that convey incredibly smooth motion when you're whipping the mouse around, and G-Sync can give you the substantial lag reduction of turning off V-Sync, without the screen tearing.

However, you could just get a 1440p IPS, overclock it to 120hz, and with the money saved on not buying a G-Sync monitor, put that money into your GPU in order to brute-force the framerate higher. Then your panel would be vibrant and not washed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I'd like to report the ebay seller will not be warrantying my back light bleed under basically any circumstance. I figured as much, but there you go. The company is "SNP" and the ebay user is euro_inside

They instead suggested that I disassemble it and insert some screws and told me even Apple won't fix back light bleed for retina displays. I tried really hard not to get catty with them after that.

All in all, not a surprise like I said, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In more Computex news, AMD showed off an adaptive vsync prototype.

Interestingly, they suggest that there are monitors out there already that can do it with just a firmware update. What monitors exactly wasn't specified. They're also optimistic that DP 1.2a monitors will be released by the end of the year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

I'd like to report the ebay seller will not be warrantying my back light bleed under basically any circumstance. I figured as much, but there you go. The company is "SNP" and the ebay user is euro_inside

They instead suggested that I disassemble it and insert some screws and told me even Apple won't fix back light bleed for retina displays. I tried really hard not to get catty with them after that.

All in all, not a surprise like I said, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Did you report it to ebay?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Did you report it to ebay?

No. I'll try to take some actually good photos and see what you guys think. I'm pretty lenient, and considering the price, and the fact it's a fairly known "thing", I almost didn't bother. They'd have been better off telling me they simply don't warranty for it rather than telling me all that other stuff.

The main issue I have is that in one corner it actually lightens colors a noticeable amount

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just do a chargeback with your credit card. Then the seller has the choice of getting it back and giving you a refund, or not getting it back, and still giving you a refund.

I did that when someone sold me a phone that turned out to be network blocked, worked like a charm.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Ah yeah maybe...

maybe I'll try a quick fix first. All in all, I'd rather just keep it if I can make it go away.

Unrelated, but am I the only one thinks IPS glow is kind of annoying? I've had two now, and the ones in stores all have a similar effect imo.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

In more Computex news, AMD showed off an adaptive vsync prototype.

Interestingly, they suggest that there are monitors out there already that can do it with just a firmware update. What monitors exactly wasn't specified. They're also optimistic that DP 1.2a monitors will be released by the end of the year.

The report on AMD possibly making Adaptive Sync exclusive to 290s and 260s is bad dirty poo-poo talk. I'd rather not have to regret getting my GTX 780 and basically whoever makes this techonology change work for fast IPS monitors first is who I'm shooting for.

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014
I finally got my hands on a third monitor today, another Asus VS247H-P. Now my experience with the first 2 was perfect, no problems with them at all. However this new one is giving me a bit of bother. The colour of it is off, and I mean way off the picture doesn't really do it justice. The first and second are a nice bluey white, whereas the new one is a much brighter vivid yellow when displaying a white background.

All OSD settings are identical, the first 2 run off HDMI and the third off VGA but swapping these around makes no difference, left and right run off the first gpu, the middle runs off the second so that isn't the cause. The only thing I can think of is that I bought the first 2 from SCAN and the third one from amazon. Although being the same make and model I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference.

I've tried tweaking the OSD settings but can't seem to get it quite right.

e: Never mind the first 2 are VS247H the new one is a VS247H-P apparently my choosing to go for the more expensive version has thwarted me. Any way to fix the colour issues or just tweak OSD settings?

Calidar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The report on AMD possibly making Adaptive Sync exclusive to 290s and 260s is bad dirty poo-poo talk. I'd rather not have to regret getting my GTX 780 and basically whoever makes this technology change work for fast IPS monitors first is who I'm shooting for.

AMD only just started supporting this feature on their newest, Rx 200 (Volcanic Islands) based, cards. The 290 and 260 lines of cards are the only ones they currently make using this new architecture, all of their other cards are just re-bagged/up-clocked versions of older cards that don't support this new tech.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Also, Nvidia hasn't even announced DPAS support at all, as far as I know. They just said that DP1.2a is not ready and very complex, whatever that means.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The report on AMD possibly making Adaptive Sync exclusive to 290s and 260s is bad dirty poo-poo talk. I'd rather not have to regret getting my GTX 780 and basically whoever makes this techonology change work for fast IPS monitors first is who I'm shooting for.

I'm pretty sure AMD doesn't have that power, since it's a VESA standard now. I think what they meant is that of their current cars it's only the 290 and 260's that will work with it.

Unknown if any of the current Nvidia models would work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think the bigger issue is Nvidia deliberately not supporting DPAS just to sell more gsync displays.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If I had to guess I'd say the color temp setting in the osd is different for the right monitor. If changing the color temp will not fix it, you can get reasonably close by tweaking the red/green/blue levels along with brightness and contrast. I'm surprised the monitors would look so different with the same settings. Does the -p model have a different backlight?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Calidar posted:

I finally got my hands on a third monitor today, another Asus VS247H-P. Now my experience with the first 2 was perfect, no problems with them at all. However this new one is giving me a bit of bother. The colour of it is off, and I mean way off the picture doesn't really do it justice. The first and second are a nice bluey white, whereas the new one is a much brighter vivid yellow when displaying a white background.

All OSD settings are identical, the first 2 run off HDMI and the third off VGA but swapping these around makes no difference, left and right run off the first gpu, the middle runs off the second so that isn't the cause. The only thing I can think of is that I bought the first 2 from SCAN and the third one from amazon. Although being the same make and model I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference.

I've tried tweaking the OSD settings but can't seem to get it quite right.

e: Never mind the first 2 are VS247H the new one is a VS247H-P apparently my choosing to go for the more expensive version has thwarted me. Any way to fix the colour issues or just tweak OSD settings?

You can buy a calibrator, although I don't know if that's worth it for a TN panel. Anyways, you're never guaranteed exactly the same color profile even on the same model, The best chance would be having the monitors come off the production line right next to eachother (which is likely if you buy two from the same retailer at the same time), otherwise you'll still have to calibrate them to match. Age of the monitor also affects color.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I know it's not strictly display only news, but Apple leaked some ridiculous resolutions in Yosemite code.

6400 x 3600

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have this computer: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkC...rds=ThinkCentre
Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 with a VGA and DisplayPort output. If I have one monitor with VGA and another with DisplayPort, will I be able to do dual monitors or will a special card / adapter be required?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:
http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-to-deliver-cheaper-4k-monitors-thanks-to-samsung-partnership/

quote:

Intel is specifically partnering with Samsung to increase delivery on high-quality, 23.6-inch PLS 4K panels, with a stated aim of such monitors hitting a US$399 (£239, AU$430) price point. For Intel based All-in-Ones, Intel believes we will also see 4K All-in-One prices starting from US$999 (£599, AU$1,080). This is around half the typical current price of 4K IPS and PLS monitors. These PLS, or Plane to Line Switching, monitors are very high-quality, with 100 percent sRGB coverage and Technicolor certification.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Windows 7 (and windows 8 desktop) both suck on high-resolution small size screens.

(non-OSX) Unix variants are generally not useful to the majority of people...

Which leaves Android, OSX, and iOS being really capable of utilizing 4k resolution without requiring the use of a magnifying glass in front of a monitor.

I'm really liking the pixel density of my 27" 2560x1440, I don't really know how useful 4k is on anything smaller than at least a 32" right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have this computer: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkC...rds=ThinkCentre
Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 with a VGA and DisplayPort output. If I have one monitor with VGA and another with DisplayPort, will I be able to do dual monitors or will a special card / adapter be required?

Should be fine. You can also get a cheap DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI adapter - probably cheaper than a native DisplayPort monitor (assuming resolution <=1920x1200)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I know it's not strictly display only news, but Apple leaked some ridiculous resolutions in Yosemite code.

6400 x 3600
hey, it's almost what 4K actually should mean :)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Straker posted:

hey, it's almost what 4K actually should mean :)

To be fair, 4K means 4096×2160, not the commonly talked about 3840×2160, it's a Digital Cinema term, just like 2K was, at 2048×1080.

It's just everyone has hijacked the Digital Cinema term for something different, so the naming is inconsistent.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, 4K means 4096×2160, not the commonly talked about 3840×2160, it's a Digital Cinema term, just like 2K was, at 2048×1080.

It's just everyone has hijacked the Digital Cinema term for something different, so the naming is inconsistent.
I'm aware of the former, just saying 4K should refer to vertical res. I don't know if the DC thing is legitimate or not but it just sounds like marketing bullshit. At least in this case it's done (since now they're referring to the longer side of displays) and can't be stretched any more without just lying.

though I suppose someone could come up with a new kind of subpixel arrangement and claim more than 3x3840 subpixels per row, or something stupid like that :)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah it can get confusing. They're just names. I'm sure some marketing department somewhere was like "2k sounds weird because in 1440p there are sort of 2k pixels across that might be confusing"

edit: :lol: I told the monitor ebay people "sure I guess I'll just disassemble it, I hope it doesn't break" or something since they pretty much recommended that I try that. Their response today was "We also hope the panel doesn't get damage". Thanks!

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 5, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Straker posted:

I'm aware of the former, just saying 4K should refer to vertical res. I don't know if the DC thing is legitimate or not but it just sounds like marketing bullshit. At least in this case it's done (since now they're referring to the longer side of displays) and can't be stretched any more without just lying.

though I suppose someone could come up with a new kind of subpixel arrangement and claim more than 3x3840 subpixels per row, or something stupid like that :)

4K and 2K aren't really marketing bullshit terms, they're defined as part of a Digital Cinema specification: http://dcimovies.com/specification/DCI_DCSS_v12_with_errata_2012-1010.pdf (page 31).

It deals with the way digital movies are rendered, distributed and projected. (They also use JPEG 2000 for every frame at high bitrates, with no motion prediction of any kind. Just JPEG 2000 stills for every frame).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Meh 2k 'cinema spec' isn't all that relevant these days from a production standpoint. Most studios just render and finish at 1080p and call it '2k' out of simplicity. Plus it's half the syllables.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure it's better than WQUXVGA or whatever the hell that stuff is up to now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

japtor posted:

I figure it's better than WQUXVGA or whatever the hell that stuff is up to now.

Yeah, that naming scheme sucked and got really unwieldy.

I personally think sticking with the resolution: width×height is adequate now and will always be.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
1080p and 1440p roll very naturally off the tongue, but I've grown used to 4k for 2160p now

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How many of you guys are running on a Seiki 4k Display

I'm not sure if I'd use it as a desktop monitor but if I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp 2005WFP, Dell 3014W or another IPS-Monitor would I be disappointed? I'd be using the 4k mode for work and web-browsing then switch to 1080p for gaming.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I can confirm... The display port on that system is a DP++ We have a few around the office using dual monitors. You need a simple passive DP to DVI/HDMI adapter if you want to use a DVI/HDMI monitor.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tab8715 posted:

How many of you guys are running on a Seiki 4k Display

I'm not sure if I'd use it as a desktop monitor but if I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp 2005WFP, Dell 3014W or another IPS-Monitor would I be disappointed? I'd be using the 4k mode for work and web-browsing then switch to 1080p for gaming.

I used one for a couple days. Right out of the box, it looks like rear end. Once you get the settings dialed in (color temperature set to warm, ClearType set to BGR, sharpness to 0, etc.), it looks acceptable, but there is noticeable input lag that even makes moving a mouse harder than it should be. I'm not sure how much is from being a TV and how much is caused by the 340 MHz limitation of current HDMI standards and their ability to deliver each 4K frame from the graphics card to the display in a timely manner. It will grate on you after a while, so I would steer clear of using it for anything but as a passive display for some sort of "mission control" use.

Like most TVs, it's a VA panel, so contrast and viewing angle (of the LCD matrix itself) are excellent with no bleed. The backlight is terrible for computer usage though, and brightness rolls off at the edges, especially if you're sitting within a few feet of it. It's probably much better suited to viewing from couch distance, and for TV programming, where you'll never notice backlight inconsistency. Big, white application windows tend to make those flaws obvious.

This TV seems to share a trait I've noticed on a lot of TVs made within the last couple of years. Deep blues are overblown, browns are washed out, and overall, they just appear "blueish" to me at any color temperature setting. I'm not sure how much of that can be mitigated with messing with color gain and offset (which can be accessed by upgrading the firmware). I can't help but think that better signal processing would make a panel like this look amazing.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 5, 2014

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Zorilla posted:

This TV seems to share a trait I've noticed on a lot of TVs made within the last couple of years. Deep blues are overblown, browns are washed out, and overall, they just appear "blueish" to me at any color temperature setting.

Sounds like a poor choice of LEDs for the backlight. Equivalent brightness white LEDs with a blue hue are cheaper than a true white.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I picked up one of these KVMs for a song:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1758/

Problem is that it didn't come with any cables. I'm not even going to use it for video. It was the only way I could get an 8 way USB switch. The ports on the back are just 'VGA' but it seems the unit sends USB and VGA over just the VGA electrical. I found a few cables on ebay that are like this [USB+VGA]->[VGA] but I'm not sure if they will work with this unit. I think quite a few KVMs use [USB+VGA]->[VGA] cables but I'm not sure if they're all the same kind of cable or if each manufacturer has them setup slightly differently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321386965769

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

I think quite a few KVMs use [USB+VGA]->[VGA] cables but I'm not sure if they're all the same kind of cable or if each manufacturer has them setup slightly differently.
I don't actually know at all, but reviewing the VGA pinout I'm thinking they are all going to use pin 9 for +5V because that's already defined, there are some defined ground pins to choose from, and two reserved pins (4 and 11) that could be used for data, probably 4 for data- and 11 for data+. You should probably confirm with a multimeter before plugging anything in, but this makes me confident there's little risk of frying anything by sending power down signal pins and that there's probably about a 50% chance a random cable would work if there isn't some de facto standard.

Or I could be totally wrong and they did this completely differently than I would logically expect.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

I don't actually know at all, but reviewing the VGA pinout I'm thinking they are all going to use pin 9 for +5V because that's already defined, there are some defined ground pins to choose from, and two reserved pins (4 and 11) that could be used for data, probably 4 for data- and 11 for data+. You should probably confirm with a multimeter before plugging anything in, but this makes me confident there's little risk of frying anything by sending power down signal pins and that there's probably about a 50% chance a random cable would work if there isn't some de facto standard.

Or I could be totally wrong and they did this completely differently than I would logically expect.

Interesting, thanks! What does VGA need +5V for anyway? Its not like its powering anything and even maybe some small industrial CRT would probably want 12V right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Interesting, thanks! What does VGA need +5V for anyway? Its not like its powering anything and even maybe some small industrial CRT would probably want 12V right?

I had a small KVM that could be powered just by the VGA port. It was... weird.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I've heard that there were issues with the Dell 32 inch "4k" display. What are they exactly and are they deal breakers?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I've heard that there were issues with the Dell 32 inch "4k" display. What are they exactly and are they deal breakers?

TN, 30Hz, and nothing supports DPI scaling all that well, so everything is going to be unusably tiny. Pixel density in the low 100's is pretty much the maximum practical amount before text is too small to read comfortably. This means 1440p is your best bet for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

^^that is the 28" 4K Dell. He is talking about the 32" IPS, 60hz 4k Dell.