Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

This guy has some wild theory crafting there and I'm wondering if he even bothered to do research into each of the fandoms before putting all those words down. My wife is a huge Sailor Moon fan and from what I've seen there is still a very large community that supports everything Sailor Moon in the US. From his writings it sounds like he stopped following the anime trend around 2004. I actually think there are more content for the female audience then there has been before. Not sure why he feels like CSS and SM will both flop and launch though, maybe the price is too steep for his blood. I plan on getting both when they come out. It would be funny to hear his reasoning as to why none of the Pretty Cure series have come out in the US but aired in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Revolver Bunker posted:

This guy has some wild theory crafting there and I'm wondering if he even bothered to do research into each of the fandoms before putting all those words down. My wife is a huge Sailor Moon fan and from what I've seen there is still a very large community that supports everything Sailor Moon in the US. From his writings it sounds like he stopped following the anime trend around 2004. I actually think there are more content for the female audience then there has been before. Not sure why he feels like CSS and SM will both flop and launch though, maybe the price is too steep for his blood. I plan on getting both when they come out. It would be funny to hear his reasoning as to why none of the Pretty Cure series have come out in the US but aired in Canada.

Only the first Precure (out of 9) aired in Canada.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Caithness posted:

Only the first Precure (out of 9) aired in Canada.

They're up to 11 seasons now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The current season is pretty good, too! :yaycloud:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the impression that the problem with Precure is that Toei will mandate that they go though all 11 seasons of it and market the merch meaning we have to trall though stuff like this;

before we could get to the best that HeartCatch has to offer that I can't mind off the top of my head.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
"I have to go now, my planet needs me."

Cure black died on the way back to her home planet.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

I get the impression that the problem with Precure is that Toei will mandate that they go though all 11 seasons of it and market the merch meaning we have to trall though stuff like this;

before we could get to the best that HeartCatch has to offer that I can't mind off the top of my head.

People give it poo poo but the first series had its moments

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Guyver posted:

Random trivia: This scene was animated by Tatsuo Yamada, who would later go on to be the Action Director in Samurai Flamenco.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

aers posted:

Random trivia: This scene was animated by Tatsuo Yamada, who would later go on to be the Action Director in Samurai Flamenco.

poo poo man I wish samflam had action that good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Dragonball Z can get back on Toonami in 2014 then surely Sailor Moon can't be far behind?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Are you kidding that looks hilarious

Guyver posted:

Holy poo poo that's some amazing team-up action there. So few superhero shows actually bother with the kind of wild poo poo superpowered people could do when they can fly around and super jump and have amazing speed and strength and that clip captures it better than any team up move in, say, Dragonball.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm currently going through PreCure (I've just started Splash Star) and Futari wa and Max Heart weren't too bad. Max Heart had some memorable villains. (Uraganos for one) I also really liked the second Max Heart movie. I can't wait until I get to Yes!, however. I miss my five girl rear end-kicking team.

I wonder if the fights in Sailor Moon Crystal will be more like Futari wa/ Max Heart? PGSM had some fisticuffs and it did pretty well.

Those faces. :smith:

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

MagicalDuck posted:

They're up to 11 seasons now.

I wasn't counting the sequels as separate series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Guyver posted:

I always thought my gif was from season 2.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What is this I'm seeing, girls straight up fighting each other? Not doing dance-fu or blasting each other with magic?

Are those gifs indicative of the franchise in general? Because I might give it a try if that is the case.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

What is this I'm seeing, girls straight up fighting each other? Not doing dance-fu or blasting each other with magic?

Are those gifs indicative of the franchise in general? Because I might give it a try if that is the case.

All of the series use some magic attacks, but the amount can vary between just a finishing move and almost all magic. For good physical fights without too much magic, go with the original Pretty Cure (finisher only) or Heartcatch Precure (finisher + the occasional blast.) Those also happen to be the series with the strongest stories.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm watching Heartcatch right now, and while I'm only up to like episode 5 or 6, so far it's absolutely great. So far aside from finishers I think I've seen like one or two blasts, and at least one of those was the 'up close and personal' kind and not beam sniping.

To keep this at least vaguely related, what were the fights like in the SM manga? I've never read it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darksaber posted:

To keep this at least vaguely related, what were the fights like in the SM manga? I've never read it.

I found them to be kind of boring compared to the anime. I feel like the fights Sailor Moon always need action, not just a still image with some words. There are some cool fights though, (Rei vs. Jadeite, Venus vs. Beryl, the entire end of the manga), but I definitely prefer the anime.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Every Precure series has a handful of really well animated fights whenever Toei's strongest animators get a chance to show off.

Heartcatch however is on a completely different level since Umakoshi cheated.

Basically just watch Heartcatch if you want this stuff.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Darksaber posted:

I'm watching Heartcatch right now, and while I'm only up to like episode 5 or 6, so far it's absolutely great. So far aside from finishers I think I've seen like one or two blasts, and at least one of those was the 'up close and personal' kind and not beam sniping.

The best Precure attack of all:

BLOSSOM BUTT PUNCH.

As a fan of both Sailor Moon and various Precure series (my favourites are Heartcatch and Fresh) I would be thrilled if the Sailor Moon Crystal fights were animated more like those in Precure - particularly because Sailor Jupiter (who is indeed best Sailor) is such a powerhouse, and they could really showcase the different girls' different ways of fighting, with Venus all about agility, Mars the queen of the sneak attack, Jupiter the tank and Mercury ducking, dodging, figuring out strategy and staying behind Jupiter as much as possible.
And in the middle of all that, Sailor Moon flailing in panic before either getting in a lucky shot or actually getting her poo poo together and doing something effective.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Dove from Above posted:

As a fan of both Sailor Moon and various Precure series (my favourites are Heartcatch and Fresh) I would be thrilled if the Sailor Moon Crystal fights were animated more like those in Precure - particularly because Sailor Jupiter (who is indeed best Sailor) is such a powerhouse, and they could really showcase the different girls' different ways of fighting, with Venus all about agility, Mars the queen of the sneak attack, Jupiter the tank and Mercury ducking, dodging, figuring out strategy and staying behind Jupiter as much as possible.
And in the middle of all that, Sailor Moon flailing in panic before either getting in a lucky shot or actually getting her poo poo together and doing something effective.

I remember the time in the manga Jupiter took out a monster by basically suplexing it--before she became a magical girl.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I remember the time in the manga Jupiter took out a monster by basically suplexing it--before she became a magical girl.

That makes sense. In the Sailor Moon fighting game for the 3DO, her throw is a power bomb. She's basically Zangief.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

As if I needed more evidence of Jupiter superiority.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Kaja Rainbow posted:

She did something similar in the first episode of the Anime she appeared in, didn't she? Obviously she didn't take it out because that's reserved for the stock footage but she still tossed it away on her normal strength alone.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

As if I needed more evidence of Jupiter superiority.

Well she is the most talented of the group.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I think I should actually get around to reading the manga.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

She did something similar in the first episode of the Anime she appeared in, didn't she? Obviously she didn't take it out because that's reserved for the stock footage but she still tossed it away on her normal strength alone.

She also landed a punch on Zoisite before she'd become a senshi.

Dove from Above posted:

Mars the queen of the sneak attack

One of the things that always amuses me is that Mars' strategy is "Burning Mandala first, ask questions never." She actually tries to use it on a FIRE at one point.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Alaemon posted:

She also landed a punch on Zoisite before she'd become a senshi.

To be fair, this is Zoisite we're talking about, not much for fighting or reflexes. Acts like a wimp because his hand gets cut by a rose.

Not to diss Jupiter or anything, because she's still the best senshi.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Granted, Zoisite isn't much of a fighter. I've always assumed the Shitennou had some degree of super(ish) powers because of magic.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Alaemon posted:

One of the things that always amuses me is that Mars' strategy is "Burning Mandala first, ask questions never." She actually tries to use it on a FIRE at one point.

When I am frustrated with a situation, I sometimes hear her shrieking 'Burning Mandala!' in my head. It helps a little.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Dove from Above posted:

When I am frustrated with a situation, I sometimes hear her shrieking 'Burning Mandala!' in my head. It helps a little.

Coconut Cyclone 4 lyfe. :getin:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

News at 4 am JST (in 4 hours 50 min).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Boy it would be pretty sweet if we had a PV huh oh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh...I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They're really having difficulty animating that flowing hair to try to match the manga. It looks kind of poor and cheap. Although I expected that a little.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hype levels approaching ridiculous now.
Someone please combine these two emoticons to properly convey my excitement.:ssj::sparkles:

E : it's possible I'm easy to please... don't care.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Well, Luna's new voice sounds pretty okay. Kotono can still pull off Usagi voice so that's a plus. I think the biggest thing for me will be getting use to the new art style for the anime since the 90s one is so ingrained in my head. If that song in the trailer is the opening then it's not bad though I'll want to hear the whole thing. All the characters look more mature as far as height and posture though I guess it just really more inline with the manga art style. Still really hyped about this. :dance:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is the OP.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not sure if it's because Usagi is the most iconic but for some reason I'm having trouble getting used to her visual design, but not the others.

Also because she looks more mature now the old voice also doesn't seem to fit in my mind. Perhaps when I'm watching an episode it will click. I'm probably biased since I've never really read the manga (I know the plot differences). Is manga Usagi as clumsy and immature as anime Usagi?

More old fuddy talk: not digging what I've heard of the new OP yet either though when I see the animation to associate with it that could change. It's probably another case of bias since I've had 22 years to be used to the original themes.

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I kind of like it, in motion it looks better. Its maybe a little spaghetti-esque but its not as bad as I thought it would look.

I really would like to hear the other Senshi though, especially Jupiter but that's just mostly just me wanting to hear Ami Koshimizu's voice on my favorite girl.

• Locked thread