Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You sure sound like you have a terrible relationship and I don't know how you decided having a child with her was a good idea, please don't have any more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Your relationship sounds adversarial.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jastiger posted:

I look at other people our age working jobs in our area and doing OK, while I kick rear end at work and get nothing to show for it.

Most people are probably in a similar situation as you. People looking OK is usually a facade of some sort.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Jastiger posted:

I look at other people our age working jobs in our area and doing OK, while I kick rear end at work and get nothing to show for it.

Whoa whoa whoa. As the poster above me said, most people are living above their means. Everyone wants the nicest *thing* they can "afford". They want the most expensive house and the most expensive car(s)/SUV(s) the bank will lend them.

Do not look at other people. You don't know the details of their finances. Some of them are debt slaves, while others may have inherited wealth.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Still though, it's a safe bet that two-income families have it easier and probably have the means to save tons of money if they actually make it a priority. It's hard with a one-income family or relationship.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Do not look at other people. You don't know the details of their finances. Some of them are debt slaves, while others may have inherited wealth.

Some of them also are probably not in a lovely marriage. Your finance issues are just a symptom of poor communication as others have pointed out. Go get (couples) therapy.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Rick Rickshaw posted:

This.

I know a young lady who is married, both she and her husband have shiny newish SUVs, they have a kid, dog, go on crazy trips to weddings in Napa California etc. They both have MBAs from one of the top schools, wear all the nice clothes etc. etc. They spend a fortune keeping up with their friends from college/grad school but their dirty secret is that they are loving slaves to debt. They literally have almost nothing in the bank. No retirement to speak of, 100k in student loans EACH, leased cars, they live in a "luxury apartment" (in the proper neighborhood befitting individuals of their "status" of course) and can't usually afford daycare for their kid so they have to literally drive over an hour away Sunday and Friday to dump her off with her aunt and uncle during the week. And that's just the stuff I know about.

There are literally millions of couples like this walking around the country, working their asses off so they can borrow money to check off a bunch of imaginary boxes on their bullshit Facebook social hierarchy. They're basically zombies, mindlessly droning through 60 hour weeks so they can hand most of their money over to banks. It's really sad.

Most people's finances are hosed up like Polio.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dijkstra posted:

This.

I know a young lady who is married, both she and her husband have shiny newish SUVs, they have a kid, dog, go on crazy trips to weddings in Napa California etc. They both have MBAs from one of the top schools, wear all the nice clothes etc. etc. They spend a fortune keeping up with their friends from college/grad school but their dirty secret is that they are loving slaves to debt. They literally have almost nothing in the bank. No retirement to speak of, 100k in student loans EACH, leased cars, they live in a "luxury apartment" (in the proper neighborhood befitting individuals of their "status" of course) and can't usually afford daycare for their kid so they have to literally drive over an hour away Sunday and Friday to dump her off with her aunt and uncle during the week. And that's just the stuff I know about.

There are literally millions of couples like this walking around the country, working their asses off so they can borrow money to check off a bunch of imaginary boxes on their bullshit Facebook social hierarchy. They're basically zombies, mindlessly droning through 60 hour weeks so they can hand most of their money over to banks. It's really sad.

I get that. I'm not worried about having the best or anything. Like I said, I want to stop treading water and start actually building towards a future for my daughter. Not go paycheck to paycheck and have no enjoyment out of life. I can appreciate that though, its a good way to screw yourself up financially. All of our credit card debt is groceries, gas, and the residuals from the move from Idaho to Iowa.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
This dude needs a thread. SloMo sucks.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Overheard a Ruth's Chris bar "Well, [my child and their spouse] only make $250k between them, so we help them out."

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Zhentar posted:

Overheard a Ruth's Chris bar "Well, [my child and their spouse] only make $250k between them, so we help them out."
Well no wonder dude was slummin' it a Ruth's Chris. Ballers who don't have broke-rear end kidz hang at Morton's.

Not surprising though. Americans are conditioned that their yearly income is the be-all end-all social measuring stick. Because that determines what monthly payments you can afford in order to finance the purchase of stupid poo poo.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Jastiger posted:

What started it was that we got new phones as a cost saving measure to cut back on our expenses and I said "Oh! I'll download the BoA app!" and she's like "What do you need THAT for?" like I was downloading it just to spite her or something.

Your relationship (marriage?) sounds rough. There's no denying you need to be involved in the process, because how can you feel accomplished with working if you don't even know what the outcomes will be as a result of that money? Plus, you should have a say in budgeting, especially when it comes to your own discretionary allowance. The things you have described would pretty much make anyone resentful of the other party, because she "has" and you "have not."

That said, when you do get to look at the finances, you cannot blame her for their state, whatever that may be. You have made a choice in the past to be uninvolved and that makes you equally as responsible even though it may not feel that way.

The key to making this transition from unknown to known without fighting about it will be communication, as has been said by others in the last two pages. It sounds as though she already believes that you doubt her budgeting abilities. I would also agree that you do believe that, if only for the reason that she did not consider your needs when budgeting. The alternative is that she really doesn't have a budget and is insecure about you challenging her absent "skills" with the fear that when you discover this, you will be angry.

The solution is to admit that you want to improve the family's financial situation and also improve your own budgeting skills because you do not feel like they are very good. Encourage her to team up with you to improve your budgeting skills as a couple, and ask her if she is willing to sit down and evaluate your financial situation together.

Then take those numbers and post them in the "help me make a budget" thread so experienced goons can give you some advice/guidelines about how to structure your new family budget.

e: E/N for days

also admit that you are feeling resentful because you don't think you are getting a proportionately fair amount of discretionary spending. Communicating your feelings without saying she is the direct cause of them will help negate her knee-jerk reaction of becoming defensive. Keep in mind, just because you do this does not mean that she won't do it anyways, but effective feeling communication is important and will prevent future incidences of overflowing resentment.

Get couples counseling, really. Tell her that you want to do it when you tell her the rest of this. It will seriously improve your satisfaction with your relationship/marriage.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 5, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I want to know what that parent and their spouse was making to consider their quarter-million-dollar child's household income to be lacking :staredog:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wickerman posted:

Your relationship (marriage?) sounds rough. There's no denying you need to be involved in the process, because how can you feel accomplished with working if you don't even know what the outcomes will be as a result of that money? Plus, you should have a say in budgeting, especially when it comes to your own discretionary allowance. The things you have described would pretty much make anyone resentful of the other party, because she "has" and you "have not."

That said, when you do get to look at the finances, you cannot blame her for their state, whatever that may be. You have made a choice in the past to be uninvolved and that makes you equally as responsible even though it may not feel that way.

The key to making this transition from unknown to known without fighting about it will be communication, as has been said by others in the last two pages. It sounds as though she already believes that you doubt her budgeting abilities. I would also agree that you do believe that, if only for the reason that she did not consider your needs when budgeting. The alternative is that she really doesn't have a budget and is insecure about you challenging her absent "skills" with the fear that when you discover this, you will be angry.

The solution is to admit that you want to improve the family's financial situation and also improve your own budgeting skills because you do not feel like they are very good. Encourage her to team up with you to improve your budgeting skills as a couple, and ask her if she is willing to sit down and evaluate your financial situation together.

Then take those numbers and post them in the "help me make a budget" thread so experienced goons can give you some advice/guidelines about how to structure your new family budget.

Is that the stickied thread with "How to make a budget"? I think I'll do that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
The relationship issues will continue to fester until you two talk it out in a healthy way.

I really benefited from the book Hold Me Tight - it's a structured way to have conversations with your S.O. about some important issues. It's helped my relationship tremendously and I highly recommend it if you can't afford therapy. Also, Getting the Love You Want. Great books about communication, which seems to be severely lacking in your relationship and causing small issues to blow up into big ones.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Jastiger posted:

Is that the stickied thread with "How to make a budget"? I think I'll do that.

It sure is.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dijkstra posted:

This.

Golden handcuffs. The trick is to live below your means. My fiancée and I both drive used cars, cook our own meals, pack lunches, don't get cable TV, and get deals on clothes (my ballin' tweed suit is made up of Goodwill finds). We go to used book sales, and watch movies at a restored midtown second-run movie theater instead of the suburban multiplex. Meanwhile, we have paid off all of our student loans. And I think we're happier people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In order to make me feel better about some of my financial decisions, I just dealt with a person that is going to be buying an new car. I asked how much she was getting it for out of curiosity.

$800 down and $80 a week. They are going to require she has low deductibles at $250 to protect the vehicle on this car.

So wait, weekly payments? That is strange. Who does that?

So I ask how long she will be paying for it and she wasn't sure, but guessed it'd be around $5700 total cost on the car.

The car?

A 1998 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles on it valued on NADA.com at $3700 CLEAN RETAIL.

I actually suffered hit point damage when I found out she's going to be financing a car as old at that with $80 weekly payments. That is like $344 a month for a 16 year old car.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

In order to make me feel better about some of my financial decisions, I just dealt with a person that is going to be buying an new car. I asked how much she was getting it for out of curiosity.

$800 down and $80 a week. They are going to require she has low deductibles at $250 to protect the vehicle on this car.

So I ask how long she will be paying for it and she wasn't sure, but guessed it'd be around $5700 total cost on the car.

The car?

A 1998 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles on it valued on NADA.com at $3700 CLEAN RETAIL.

I actually suffered hit point damage when I found out she's going to be financing a car as old at that with $80 weekly payments. That is like $344 a month for a 16 year old car.

This is why you see all the "NO CREDIT? NO PROBLEM!" used car lots in the hood. You can get a car with no/bad credit, but prepare to be raped on the payments.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The whole American approach to selling cars has always seemed a little off to me. The only time I've seen American TV unfiltered (i.e. with the commercials still in) was a year or so ago when a friend was streaming the hockey, and it was absolutely boggling how every single car commercial aired did not in any way, shape, or form list the total cost of the car: only the monthly/weekly payment. That just strikes me as borderline predatory.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai posted:

The whole American approach to selling cars has always seemed a little off to me. The only time I've seen American TV unfiltered (i.e. with the commercials still in) was a year or so ago when a friend was streaming the hockey, and it was absolutely boggling how every single car commercial aired did not in any way, shape, or form list the total cost of the car: only the monthly/weekly payment. That just strikes me as borderline predatory.

It's in very fine print at the bottom of the screen.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
What kind of place would even finance a car that old? Something they have in-house?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

This is why you see all the "NO CREDIT? NO PROBLEM!" used car lots in the hood. You can get a car with no/bad credit, but prepare to be raped on the payments.

Frequently called "buy here, pay here" lots.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wickerman posted:

What kind of place would even finance a car that old? Something they have in-house?

I don't know I didn't ask. She wanted insurance on it and I was curious when she said the dealer was requiring such low limits. Then I heard how old the car was and kind of did a double take. Poor girl worked two jobs, both at food retail places. I feel bad that she's in that kind of position where $80 a week is a "good deal", yet she'll pay more for her car in a month than my family does for two newer models.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Not uncommon for those kind of deals to be repossessed and then "sold" again in an afternoon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

The car?

I pay that much a month for my car but it's 14 years younger and has ~145000 fewer miles on it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I was at the bank opening an account, and I overheard the guy next to me. He asked about opening a personal line of credit to pay for his daughter's wedding. They took all his information, income, etc, then said "We don't actually offer personal lines of credit, but we do offer credit cards with these great promotional rates". And then that man walked out with a credit card. I want to see what the trainwreck will be in a year when that 0% interest ticks off.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Devor posted:

He asked about opening a personal line of credit to pay for his daughter's wedding.

How much of that (bride's father paying for the wedding) is still a thing? I know it sorta is, but seems like as a society we're moving away from it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rick Rickshaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

I'm in debt up to my eyeballs! somebody help me

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How much of that (bride's father paying for the wedding) is still a thing? I know it sorta is, but seems like as a society we're moving away from it.

A lot of people are paying for weddings themselves these days.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My cousin's 19-year old stepson started dating a girl 2 months ago, got her pregnant, and the girl came over to meet my cousin and her husband (stepson's father) the other day for the first time.

First words out of her mouth:

"We're planning a wedding for 150 people. My parents are contributing $15,000 and we think you should do the same"

The girl's unemployed and the stepson works as a part-time car mechanic.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

in_cahoots posted:

This is why you have separate discretionary funds. If you each get $50 or $100 a month to spend as you like, you don't have to justify individual expenses. The only problem that would arise is if your wife thinks seeing family should qualify as a household expense rather than an individual one. And if you can't agree on that, you have bigger problems (hint: you have bigger problems).
I would do this. 3 bank accounts. Joint, and person expenses.

Jastiger posted:

I spend no money. My budget is $0. I was getting $20 a week for incidental lunch purchases but I've stopped doing that a few weeks ago to save money. I'm not the one who dictates who spends what, she is the one in charge of finances. The only allowances any of us get are from her.

What made me bothered with the purchases is that we can't pay credit card bills, I drink water and eat stale popcorn at work when they have it to save money, and yet she sometimes gets little fun stuff for our daughter to play with or for her to eat/drink. I really wouldn't care, I don't mind tightening the belt and letting her have fun money, but I do care when I find bills going late or unpaid.

I'd LOVE to have $100 extra money a month discretionary but I refuse until we're caught up on bills.
That isn't how budgets work sir... You both need to do it.

Jastiger posted:

That is fair. We are going to sit down today and go over everything. Its rough because she sees any of me peeking in as a questioning of her authority.

"I hate it when you ask about the finances because then you fret and worry about money. Don't worry about it, I got it. If you want to keep checking in then YOU handle all the money and I'll be done with it"

And no, I keep no tally. I'm only mentioning the purchases she did because I DID happen to look into it and found them there. I would never have known about them otherwise.
But that is simply her lying to you if she has it in check and she doesn't. Go setup Mint TONIGHT. Start tracking expenses. I would say use YNAB but that takes more effort and .. You don't even want to do a budget...

This isn't a you or I do it, its a WE do it.

waffle posted:

This is important. She is right. Don't go in with that attitude, you need to approach her and say, let's be organized about this, figure out where we want to be with debt, when, structure a budget around that, and then if that budget isn't reasonable, change our debt expectations accordingly. Don't treat it as an insurmountable challenge that will inevitably require asceticism. Treat it as an opportunity to figure out how to spend money to both have a little spending money and meet your debt goals.
This!

moana posted:

The relationship issues will continue to fester until you two talk it out in a healthy way.

I really benefited from the book Hold Me Tight - it's a structured way to have conversations with your S.O. about some important issues. It's helped my relationship tremendously and I highly recommend it if you can't afford therapy. Also, Getting the Love You Want. Great books about communication, which seems to be severely lacking in your relationship and causing small issues to blow up into big ones.
My gf's shrink recommended this book years ago and I think its pretty good. I would suggest it for you, too, Jastiger.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Its still common in 'upper class' families, but its definitely less common than it was in the past.

EugeneJ posted:

My cousin's 19-year old stepson started dating a girl 2 months ago, got her pregnant, and the girl came over to meet my cousin and her husband (stepson's father) the other day for the first time.

First words out of her mouth:

"We're planning a wedding for 150 people. My parents are contributing $15,000 and we think you should do the same"

The girl's unemployed and the stepson works as a part-time car mechanic.
I'd be reminding her who pay's for weddings. The woman's family. And what type of person works as a part time mechanic who isn't in school full time? WTF? Oh, the type that knocks up some girl and then gets married to her immediately....

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

And what type of person works as a part time mechanic who isn't in school full time? WTF? Oh, the type that knocks up some girl and then gets married to her immediately....

Dumb people, thats who. Very dumb people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The summer islanders will invade dorne and declare for stannis. They'll be defeated eventually by Tyrell forces, but not before killing Aegon the Unreliable.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

The summer islanders will invade dorne and declare for stannis. They'll be defeated eventually by Tyrell forces, but not before killing Aegon the Unreliable.

That does seem pretty bad with money, invasions ain't cheap son.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd be reminding her who pay's for weddings. The woman's family. And what type of person works as a part time mechanic who isn't in school full time? WTF? Oh, the type that knocks up some girl and then gets married to her immediately....

My cousin and her husband pretty much told the girl to gently caress off :)

They're not even convinced it's the stepson's child to begin with

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Trilineatus posted:

That does seem pretty bad with money, invasions ain't cheap son.

Wow gently caress, my salr hosed up, I'm owning that and leaving it there.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Could someone link me to the jastiger E/N thread? Was he the one who was shocked that his wife wanted their child to be baptized because she clearly wasn't a christian?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Setting up mint tonight. Gonna make a budget and then compare it with my wifes. I'll be getting my bug paycheck next week, so we will see how it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Jastiger posted:

Setting up mint tonight. Gonna make a budget and then compare it with my wifes. I'll be getting my bug paycheck next week, so we will see how it works out.
Why would you do this rather than discussing with your wife about having shared goals and then creating a budget together.

What she is going to see is that you went to all this trouble to create a new budget without her and get mad because it'll feel like you're going behind her back and not trusting her with the finances. Then, you'll come to this thread and say, v:confused:v "I don't know why she got so mad at me when I just wanted to use our two budgets to come up with a new one together!"

You are choosing the way most likely to end up in an argument. This isn't even bad communication, it's no communication whatsoever if you haven't even mentioned that you're doing so to your wife.

• Locked thread