Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Dawn threatening to quit wasn't a "lie"; it was a super emotional person acting super emotional at the prospect of having to continue appearing on national television with a very prominent physical defect. Brenda wasn't looking to "expose the lie"; she wanted Dawn to admit that Brenda was the only one she would have ever asked to save the teeth, that Dawn wouldn't have been in the game without Brenda and that Dawn was an awful person for continuing to play the game after that fact. At no point did Dawn try to hide the fact that she was Playing Hard and that she was willing to make big moves to win.

Making Dawn remove the teeth when she had no intention of voting for her is probably the pettiest tribal council move of all time. "I'm going to embarrass an older woman on national television 100% out of spite because she voted me out of a game" - America's sweetheart, Brenda Lowe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Pilot for Holding Hantz which is getting shopped around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KEwTPKyC4

Wish everyone would tell Hantz that his 30 minutes of fame ended years ago. If that contrived family melodrama b.s. is what passes for entertainment, America is flawed.

blue squares posted:

Does anyone actually listen to all these super long RHAP episodes?

Not all of them, but they're often entertaining and amusing. Good to listen to while doing something else - out for a run, working out, or riding the subway to work.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Juanito posted:

Pilot for Holding Hantz which is getting shopped around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KEwTPKyC4

Why would get some guy's face tattooed on your neck? :gonk:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Binary Logic posted:

Wish everyone would tell Hantz that his 30 minutes of fame ended years ago. If that contrived family melodrama b.s. is what passes for entertainment, America is flawed.

Between all the Housewives of... iterations, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Hogan Knows Best, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, Kate Plus 8, we fell off that precipice a long time ago.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I was expecting Holding Hantz to be something more like Buckwild (Appalachian Jersey Shore), but it really looks like they're going for the redneck Duck Dynasty demographic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Yeah, I listened to this one a couple days ago. He must have been drinking through the whole thing because he is absolutely smashed by the end.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Juanito posted:

I was expecting Holding Hantz to be something more like Buckwild (Appalachian Jersey Shore), but it really looks like they're going for the redneck Duck Dynasty demographic.

Russel specifically referred to it as being like Duck Dynasty in the RHAP podcast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Dawn threatening to quit wasn't a "lie"; it was a super emotional person acting super emotional at the prospect of having to continue appearing on national television with a very prominent physical defect. Brenda wasn't looking to "expose the lie"; she wanted Dawn to admit that Brenda was the only one she would have ever asked to save the teeth, that Dawn wouldn't have been in the game without Brenda and that Dawn was an awful person for continuing to play the game after that fact. At no point did Dawn try to hide the fact that she was Playing Hard and that she was willing to make big moves to win.

Making Dawn remove the teeth when she had no intention of voting for her is probably the pettiest tribal council move of all time. "I'm going to embarrass an older woman on national television 100% out of spite because she voted me out of a game" - America's sweetheart, Brenda Lowe

Thank you. There was nothing else to it. Brenda is one of my least favorite survivors ever solely because of that FTC moment.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Correct this:

to this:
Dawn threatening to quit wasn't a "lie"; it was a super emotional person acting super emotional at the prospect of having to continue appearing on national television with a very prominent physical defect. Brenda wasn't looking to "expose the lie"; she wanted Dawn to admit that Brenda was the only one she would have ever asked to save the teeth, that Dawn wouldn't have been in the game without Brenda and that Dawn was an awful person for voting Brenda out of the game after that fact. At no point did Dawn try to hide the fact that she was Playing Hard and that she was willing to make big moves to win.

and I can get on board.

Because it's important to recognize that when someone comes to you crying, an emotional wreck, and you comfort them and save them and get their head screwed back on for them, you have a different type of relationship. I can see the case that that person kind of loses the right to blindside you in the game with the explanation that it's part of 'the game' after an event like that. Dawn would have been crying and rocking in the fetal position or quitting without Brenda. From a practical standpoint, on what works for Survivor players and what doesn't, needing to be comforted and having your well-being kept in check by someone and then voting that person out is never going to work and will always lead to particularly resentful jurors.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Regardless of how hurt Brenda felt, what happened at FTC was inexcusable.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
It was uncomfortable. But Dawn wanted to make a big deal about how tough she was and how she would have continued the game without her teeth, which is obviously BS. Brenda called her on it, even though it made her look bad. I might have done the same (and would have really regretted it, as much as Brenda probably did afterwards).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it was a bad judgmental call but I kind of get why she made it. She shouldn't have. She should have realized how it would look. But I get it. Don't think it was just trying to embarrass Dawn. I say this as someone who laughed my rear end of at Nicaragua Brenda being voted off and hate her. But even then she never really struck me as a mean girl or a bully. Just an obnoxious narcissist.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Juanito posted:

It was uncomfortable. But Dawn wanted to make a big deal about how tough she was and how she would have continued the game without her teeth, which is obviously BS. Brenda called her on it, even though it made her look bad. I might have done the same (and would have really regretted it, as much as Brenda probably did afterwards).

After doing that, would you still pursue getting an apology at the reunion show?

What I'm getting at is that Brenda is a garbage human being.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It didn't help that she made a face when she popped the teeth out.

I don't really have strong feelings either way about Brenda or Dawn. I was horribly disappointed with Brenda's non-game the second time around though. Thought she had potential before it started.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I had seen Nicaragua first I would have no hopes for Brenda. She played such a dumb, entitled, and arrogant game. Allied with the 3 most transparently disloyal or unstable people, two of whom were holding idols that anyone would know they'd never give her. Openly admitted she didn't really care or work for anyone outside that alliance. Carried a snooty and obnoxious attitude and refused to scramble when she was in trouble.

In retrospect I'm not surprised she felt Dawn owed her so much. I've never seen someone argue with Jeff that it was the smart move for her not to try too hard to save her rear end but then get mad at her allies for not working harder to save her. She really did seem to feel like they just owed her to play her game for her. Which isn't super surprising considering she spent the whole season saying "I own this island, I have total control, I'm not even doing anything and they're coming to me."

She's got charm and is an athlete and those things are valuable but she doesn't seem to have any strategic sense, self awareness, or foresight. Having seen Nicaragua I now understand why she was so passive on Caramoan and just lined up for the slaughter with Stealth-R-Us.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BGrifter posted:

It didn't help that she made a face when she popped the teeth out.

I'm curious how someone can expose their entire bottom row of teeth without " making a face ".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lone Goat posted:

I'm curious how someone can expose their entire bottom row of teeth without " making a face ".

This is getting into weird nitpicky territory but I didn't think it was necessary for Dawn to go that far. Pull it out, smile normally, establish Brenda as the rear end in a top hat in the situation and move on. I guess on some level I'm mildly annoyed Dawn gave Brenda the satisfaction. Hard to fault Dawn too much for not knowing how to handle such a weird situation though.

I will say I haven't given it much thought since it aired. I was just happy to see the right person win, the Dawn stuff was just a sideshow.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

I have been skipping posts about BvW? because I haven't seen it yet, but I am ready for it now.

I started One World last night and watched the first ep before bed. Interesting concept, I guess. This feels like the first challenge where Jeff had to yell out instructions repeatedly so people wouldn't break their wrists and yet someone still did. I'm terrible at pony/poison, so I can't even make a guess. The women trying to steal fire from the men was pretty amusing, at least!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

DaisyDanger posted:

I started One World last night and watched the first ep before bed. Interesting concept, I guess. This feels like the first challenge where Jeff had to yell out instructions repeatedly so people wouldn't break their wrists and yet someone still did. I'm terrible at pony/poison, so I can't even make a guess. The women trying to steal fire from the men was pretty amusing, at least!

I would love to see a One World season where they actually just start as a single tribe of 16, and teams for immunity challenges are randomly selected, and it stays like that for the entire game (and they'd switch to individual challenges at the traditional "merge"). Dunno if only the losing "team" would go to tribal or the entire tribe would -- probably leaning towards the first. The first few episodes would be chaotic, but it would be interesting to force the contestants to juggle shifting alliances among the rest of the entire cast.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DaisyDanger posted:

I have been skipping posts about BvW? because I haven't seen it yet, but I am ready for it now.

That picture is from Caramoan, not blood vs water. Once you get past one world there's a great run of seasons so you have that to look forward to.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DaisyDanger posted:

I feel like I heard this was mostly editing and the warnings came after Kourtney hurt herself, but I don't remember the source.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

That picture is from Caramoan, not blood vs water. Once you get past one world there's a great run of seasons so you have that to look forward to.

Phew.

Does anyone know when seasons are usually added to Hulu? I don't think BvW is up yet.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

You know, there's been a lot of people on this show who just aren't my cup of tea. I've never had such an intense, visceral hatred of any contestant until Colton. loving Colton. What a deplorable sack of poo poo. I seem to recall skimming over a post that mentioned he quit/got medically removed, so I can only hope to see his stupid pudgy face covered in tears at one point or another before this season is over.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

DaisyDanger posted:

You know, there's been a lot of people on this show who just aren't my cup of tea. I've never had such an intense, visceral hatred of any contestant until Colton. loving Colton. What a deplorable sack of poo poo. I seem to recall skimming over a post that mentioned he quit/got medically removed, so I can only hope to see his stupid pudgy face covered in tears at one point or another before this season is over.

I never quit watching a season due to hatred of a player until Colton.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TheChad posted:

I never quit watching a season due to hatred of a player until Colton.

at the very least we never had the displeasure of having to watch him on the jury.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Colton is the worst Survivor ever by a comfortable margin, but at least other seasons offer compelling reasons to push through the more unbearable contestants. One World sucks because the reprieve you get from the awful racist monster is "a bunch of boring people"

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

And there he goes. The only thing that would've made it any sweeter is if Alicia went out with him, too.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Colton was hilarious in his first season, if you can find amusement in a privileged person embarrassing themselves completely in front of a national TV audience

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

I enjoyed Dawn's humiliation, we got a payoff for putting up with her repeated histrionics.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Septimius posted:

I enjoyed Dawn's humiliation, we got a payoff for putting up with her repeated histrionics.

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I remembered not having a heck of a lot of sympathy for Dawn at the time after the things she'd pulled all throughout the season. Brenda took it further than I thought she would at the FTC, but she clearly wasn't alone considering that Dawn didn't get a single vote.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

Colton was hilarious in his first season, if you can find amusement in a privileged person embarrassing themselves completely in front of a national TV audience

"I have black people in my life! My housekeeper is black! She's..."

don't say it don't say it don't say it

"...like a member of my family!"

:stonk: :cripes:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Normally, yes, but honestly he was just too awful to even love to hate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Colton was a pure pantomime villain and I was so disappointed his story didn't end in the total blindside he so richly deserved. I loved hating him and I would happily have him back for a third season if I didn't know it would end with him quitting.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Asiina posted:

Normally, yes, but honestly he was just too awful to even love to hate.

Alicia got that one covered for me. What a oval office.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Propaganda Machine posted:

Alicia got that one covered for me. What a oval office.

I've never seen anyone else manage to turn their jury question into 'Wow, I'm awesome'

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

I've never seen anyone else manage to turn their jury question into 'Wow, I'm awesome'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxwSc5-RzmU

also not the same thing but "my question is I WANT AN APOLOGY" is always the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n52d79VRP4s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxwSc5-RzmU

also not the same thing but "my question is I WANT AN APOLOGY" is always the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n52d79VRP4s

Oh man I'd forgotten that. Heidi was hilarious :allears:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

My favorite "what the gently caress?" jury moment, Natalie on Micronesia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJhmZNkqdU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DaisyDanger posted:

My favorite "what the gently caress?" jury moment, Natalie on Micronesia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJhmZNkqdU

I'm so sad that Natalie hasn't yet returned. She and Jason really need to make a reappearance.

• Locked thread