Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
God drat that trailer is baller as gently caress

Markkei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

Trailer if anyone missed the stream. It looks absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Megazver posted:

The sound you hear is Bioware and Bethesda crying.

On top of their huge piles of money :(

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So... what did everyone think of Yennefer and Ciri? I can't say they exactly match the versions of them I had in my head, but they both look drat good all the same. Also, exactly how much time are we to infer has passed between the events of W2 and W3? Geralt looks quite a bit older again, though it seems all the characters have gotten a bit of a visual redesign, so who knows...

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Markkei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

Trailer if anyone missed the stream. It looks absolutely incredible.

Wow - thank you so much for finding that vid.

Holy crap. Was neat seeing Emhyr var Emreis.

Fans here will of course catch that The Sword of Destiny was one of the short story collections, itself a story within the collect like The Last Wish. The big "aha" in the story is that the Sword of Destiny "cuts both ways" which they also show in the clip. But what they don't really reference is that the entire point of that short story, and one which comes after it to close out the collection ("Something More") is about Ciri. She was promised to Geralt as part of the Law of Surprise when he lived the curse on Duny, and the whole "cuts both ways" was that she found him years later, and he just wanted her to go away, but she wouldn't leave him. I didn't see a 20-year old girl (now woman) kicking rear end all over the place in the new trailer, but...if you want to do yourself a favor, read the novels before the game comes out. The saga really isn't about Geralt; the books are really about Ciri and the prophecy which she is at the center of.

At about 1:30, the Wild Hunstman says, "I come for her." At first I thought this was in reference to Yennefer, because in the scene before that you see the Emperor referencing that the Wild Hunt follows Yennefer. But what the Huntsman says after that - "of the prophecy" - isn't about Yennefer, it is about Ciri and the special blood she carries. In the books, the Wild Hunt even chases Ciri. Yennefer is only important in that she is Ciri's mother figure. The Wild Hunt may be following Yennefer, but that is because they know Yennefer is trying to find Ciri. Yes, her hair was white when you first see her, but it's easy to fix with magic.

Was pretty cool to see Yennefer at 1:40. We all know it was her but the Obsidian Star is a dead giveaway. Yeah, I would have used up my last genie wish to tap that. She's beautiful.

That scene with Triss. Clearly there is movement going on. So...if you had to choose, would you choose Triss or Yennefer? Heaven help us if that turns out to be a net negative either way like most of the Witcher decisions....which I mean in the best way possible. CDPR knows not every story needs to have a Bioware (pre-ME3) happy ending to be an amazing drama.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I assumed the white-haired woman at ~0.50 was Ciri.

edit: Though I've only ever read Last Wish, the rest I've gleaned from the internet and other places.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rdubs posted:

Wow - thank you so much for finding that vid.

Holy crap. Was neat seeing Emhyr var Emreis.

And voiced by Charles Dance to boot.

quote:

I didn't see a 20-year old girl (now woman) kicking rear end all over the place in the new trailer, but...if you want to do yourself a favor, read the novels before the game comes out. The saga really isn't about Geralt; the books are really about Ciri and the prophecy which she is at the center of.

Err, I'm pretty sure that's her at 0:45. She's got the ashen hair, a facial scar, and while her age is somewhat indeterminate, we know that 5 years separated the end of the saga and the beginning of the Witcher 2. Not to mention that Ciri may have been faffing about in a timeline where time moves differently or something.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Leb posted:

So... what did everyone think of Yennefer and Ciri? I can't say they exactly match the versions of them I had in my head, but they both look drat good all the same. Also, exactly how much time are we to infer has passed between the events of W2 and W3? Geralt looks quite a bit older again, though it seems all the characters have gotten a bit of a visual redesign, so who knows...

Holy poo poo did I misread that? Makes more sense now that that entire first opening would be the Emperor referring to Ciri not Yen, and Ciri's hair could have easily turned that color after what she's been through. She was a 16-year old girl in the saga, but the games take place years after the saga.

Interesting the Emperor mentioning "gives her what she deserves", because if he's talking about a deep dicking

he already turned that down at the end of the 5th book. Might have had a change of heart.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope this will be Red's successful foray into the mainstream spotlight. I was expecting W2 to be that game, but despite selling respectable numbers, it was a fraction of what a Beth or BW game sees (late console port not unrelated).

Can't wait to play it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As always the music brings the entire video the perfect mood.

That trailer is amazing. I will be pre-ordering the poo poo out of this.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, I don't get hype for games nowadays but that trailer was fantastic. Surprise Charles Dance helped a lot, too.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Rdubs posted:

Holy poo poo did I misread that? Makes more sense now that that entire first opening would be the Emperor referring to Ciri not Yen, and Ciri's hair could have easily turned that color after what she's been through. She was a 16-year old girl in the saga, but the games take place years after the saga.

Interesting the Emperor mentioning "gives her what she deserves", because if he's talking about a deep dicking

he already turned that down at the end of the 5th book. Might have had a change of heart.

Honestly, I can't see Emhyr suddenly having a change of heart and certainly, Geralt would never locate her on Emhyr's behalf only to subject her to that fate. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the line was phrased that way for the benefit of the audience (!!dramatic effect!!) and in fact, what she deserves will be her birthright, the Empire. As for the specifics of Ithline's prophecy, well, perhaps we'll discover that there is another way...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Leb posted:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the line was phrased that way for the benefit of the audience (!!dramatic effect!!) and in fact, what she deserves will be her birthright, the Empire.
That's exactly what I understood too. The quote is taken out of context for drama but you can see he means giving her the throne. An amazing trailer by the way.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Leb posted:

And voiced by Charles Dance to boot.

Err, I'm pretty sure that's her at 0:45. She's got the ashen hair, a facial scar, and while her age is somewhat indeterminate, we know that 5 years separated the end of the saga and the beginning of the Witcher 2. Not to mention that Ciri may have been faffing about in a timeline where time moves differently or something.

The books clearly describe her scar as "disfiguring" and visible from a distance but I had to look hard to see the scratch she had. Her hair is also supposed to be "ashen blonde", and the hair in the clip looked a lot more weathered, but then again it's years later and she's been through hell. I'm surprised in general - not in a bad way - that they made reference to Ciri front and center; while maybe most people who played Witcher 2 know who Yennefer is, Ciri has barely had a mention in the games. That's incredible fan service.

I wonder if she's still a virgo or if she let Galahad give it to her after riding off with him in the 5th book. In the non-canon Something Ends, Something Begin, Gallahad makes an appearance there too and Ciri seems drawn to him. If I recall the prophecy deals more with her son being of importance than her being a virgin. Anyway, she looks great in that clip.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

poo poo, those environments. :stare:

GOTY 2015 for €35 (counting the money you get back as a bonus code)? Yes please.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rdubs posted:

The books clearly describe her scar as "disfiguring" and visible from a distance but I had to look hard to see the scratch she had. Her hair is also supposed to be "ashen blonde", and the hair in the clip looked a lot more weathered, but then again it's years later and she's been through hell. I'm surprised in general - not in a bad way - that they made reference to Ciri front and center; while maybe most people who played Witcher 2 know who Yennefer is, Ciri has barely had a mention in the games. That's incredible fan service.

I wonder if she's still a virgo or if she let Galahad give it to her after riding off with him in the 5th book. In the non-canon Something Ends, Something Begin, Gallahad makes an appearance there too and Ciri seems drawn to him. If I recall the prophecy deals more with her son being of importance than her being a virgin. Anyway, she looks great in that clip.
Your obsession with who 'got the dicking' and who you'd like to gently caress in the Witcher universe that you go into in every post on this page is loving creepy.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Rdubs posted:

The books clearly describe her scar as "disfiguring" and visible from a distance but I had to look hard to see the scratch she had.

Isn't the scar supposed to be on the left side of her face? Only the right side is visible in the trailer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Most of the trailer's hidden message
    We missed you!

Today we got a look at the third trailer for the witcher 3 wild hunt. We hope you liked it!

There's much more to the game that it's just impossible to show everything within two and a half minutes.
    Most importantly, we showed you a preview of our main characters:

Geralt's close friends and some of the last witchers remaining in the world. Vesemir, Eskel, and Lambert will play a big part in the game, as well as their famous fortress, Kaer Morhen.
    You also got a glimpse of the renowned bard Dandelion and the sorceress, Triss Merigold.
    Emhyr Var Emhyreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, the most powerful man in the world of the Witcher also made an appearance. Recognise his voice?
    And then there was Ciri!
    And Yennefer!

By the way, if you're new to the series, don't worry, the game will provide you all the information you need to know, and you'll start loving (and battling) characters in no time!

Also you've been asking many questions about gameplay features and we're finally ready to answer some of them:

Yes, you will be able to fight on horseback.
    The crossbow. Yup, Geralt has a ranged weapon. Because monsters fly and you can't stab them.
    Remember swimming and sailing? You'll be able to dive and search for a lot of hidden stuff too. There's a whole underwater world to discover.
    Horse racing anyone?

You also got to hear more music from the game. This particular track was composed by Marcin Przybyłowicz and Percival. We'd love to hear your feedback on our forums, facebook, or twitter etc.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Team
    CD Projekt RED

P.S. Have you seen the Witcher 3:Wild Hunt Collector's Edition video? What do you think of the figure?
    P.S. If you still waiting for more, please be patient, we're just warming up

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
:getin:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Isn't the scar supposed to be on the left side of her face? Only the right side is visible in the trailer.

Yep. But heck, in the books, Triss was so badly scarred at the Battle of Sodden Hill that she was never able to wear a dress with a low neckline again. In the games, of course, things worked out a bit differently.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014
I see how to pre-order from Gamestop and such on the website links the Witcher site provides, but has anyone seen how to order the Collector's Edition?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I kinda feel like Emyhr should be more German-sounding but I'm not gonna bitch about Tywin Lannister, so it's cool.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Rinkles posted:

You also got a glimpse of the renowned bard Dandelion and the sorceress, Triss Merigold.

Oh, sweet. So this is Dandelion at 1:42, albeit a bit older looking and with a preposterously silly mustache. Which fits, I guess.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Palpek posted:

Your obsession with who 'got the dicking' and who you'd like to gently caress in the Witcher universe that you go into in every post on this page is loving creepy.

Glad to know two off-cuff posts is all it takes to classify as an "obsession." Will try to keep it down to one creepy post per page, that might just keep it at the "troubling" level.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Leb posted:

Oh, sweet. So this is Dandelion at 1:42, albeit a bit older looking and with a preposterously silly mustache. Which fits, I guess.

If Geralt gets a sweet beard, it's only appropriate for Dandelion to get a doofy mustache.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

So I'll just keep posting every few minutes and... wait, what? OK, I'm almost positive that's Letho standing behind you at 0:30 in the bottom right of the frame. Tell me I'm not imagining that?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rdubs posted:

Glad to know two off-cuff posts is all it takes to classify as an "obsession." Will try to keep it down to one creepy post per page, that might just keep it at the "troubling" level.
Cool. If you stop sharing your dicking dilemmas, virginity dilemmas, who you would gently caress as your genie wish and how you see sex references where they don't exist all on one page you'll be a better poster. Glad I could help.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have no idea how my PC will be able to play this. But I must find a way.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Palpek posted:

Cool. If you stop sharing your dicking dilemmas, virginity dilemmas, who you would gently caress as your genie wish and how you see sex references where they don't exist all on one page you'll be a better poster. Glad I could help.

Was worried that no one would dislike my posts enough to help me be a better poster, thanks for stepping in.

Back to the topic, Leb any thoughts on that tower at 0:52, if that's something from the novels? An old ruined tower initially sounds like it could be the Tower of Swallows, but if I recall that was on or near a frozen lakebed and there were only a couple stones left (I remember Bonhart laughing), and there's a lot more tower left in the clip. Probably not Stygga castle, and that was wrecked anyway not to mention no real reason to go there. Granted, not everything in the game or in the trailer needs to be a reference to the books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's no way in hell my computer can play this. It's either buy a PS4 or build a new computer.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is focusing on potions/bombs viable/doable on a first playthrough? Any tips or recommendations?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Highlights from the trailer:

Vesemir:

Letho (?):

Ciri:

Emhyr:

Yennefer:

Dandelion:

As for that castle, well, it definitely looks like an Elven ruin, but the only other tower I remember from the books was Tor Lara on Thaenedd island, and I think it's probably not that, so... no idea.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Is focusing on potions/bombs viable/doable on a first playthrough? Any tips or recommendations?
Bombs: Definitely.

Potions: It's complicated. Since you can't potion up in the middle of battle, knowing when you need to drink helps you maximize the benefit of potions. You can give it shot, though. Maybe quick-save often, so if you run into a situation where a big fight starts suddenly and you think "poo poo! I should've potioned up!" you can reload without losing too much time.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm curious who the man in the iron mask is.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Leb posted:

So I'll just keep posting every few minutes and... wait, what? OK, I'm almost positive that's Letho standing behind you at 0:30 in the bottom right of the frame. Tell me I'm not imagining that?

Wow, I think you're right. Those wood trunk arms could only belong to him.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Man, our cinematics people are loving ace.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lycus posted:

Bombs: Definitely.

Potions: It's complicated. Since you can't potion up in the middle of battle, knowing when you need to drink helps you maximize the benefit of potions. You can give it shot, though. Maybe quick-save often, so if you run into a situation where a big fight starts suddenly and you think "poo poo! I should've potioned up!" you can reload without losing too much time.

Isn't it one path? I thought you basically choose to focus on Melee combat, Magic, or Alchemy (Potions/bombs)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Man, our cinematics people are loving ace.

Man, you work at a cool place. (Warsaw notwithstanding (it's not that dreary))

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Isn't it one path? I thought you basically choose to focus on Melee combat, Magic, or Alchemy (Potions/bombs)
No, you don't have to focus on one tree, you can spec in all three trees. If you want to spec up bombs without putting points in potions, you can do that. If you only want to focus on strengthening a couple signs that you like and not put all your points in the Mage tree, you can do that.

The Mage tree is great for groups, but lovely for bosses and other singular big enemies.

The potion talents in the Alchemy tree make you very powerful, but you may not want to rely entirely on potions, since there are times you can't drink.

Diversifying is good.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 5, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Megasabin posted:

You can put points into multiple paths, and probably should; like if you wanted to focus on melee, you'd still want points in Quen (magic) and making your bombs more effective (alchemy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lycus posted:

There's no way in hell my computer can play this. It's either buy a PS4 or build a new computer.

It's a good thing I was looking to upgrade anyway. :unsmith:

Do we know what sort of specs we're looking at here? If I plump for a GTX 760 (860? I thought Maxwell was supposed to be out already), is that going to be enough for Ultra @ 1920x1200 or am I going to need a 780 or something ridiculous?

• Locked thread