Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

Spanish-style escuadrons are very strong, as formations--consider the Battle of Rocroi, where a bunch of them repulsed eight French cavalry charges while they were getting bombarded by cannon for hours, and they were still with it enough at the end of the day to surrender on terms rather than just run.

Edit: Incidentally, I loving love everyone in Surrender of Breda, which is the top piece of art I showed on this page, that isn't one of the two main characters. Spinola and Frederick Henry are having their bittersweet little moment of chivalry from one honorable enemy to the other...and literally everyone else is all "Are they still talking? I think they're still talking. Guess we'll just...stand here. After they're done, you wanna go get drinks or something?"

What does that say about the accuracy of these cannons? I imagine that such big and deep formations are an artillerist's dream. A ball is not going straight from further away, but it's surely plowing through the ranks and doing some pretty bad damage. If it hits.

Velazquez is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

What does that say about the accuracy of these cannons? I imagine that such big and deep formations are an artillerist's dream. A ball is not going straight from further away, but it's surely plowing through the ranks and doing some pretty bad damage. If it hits.
Well, let's pick up our manuals and turn to leaf 158.

:getin:
Note that the first depiction shows that on rocky ground you can turn the rocks into projectiles to maximize damage, while on clean ground you should focus simply on skipping your shot off the earth into your target. If you get the angle right, you should hit them at about torso level.

Incidentally, check this out.

Do you know what they're doing? They're sizing their pieces and making sure they have ammunition to match. It's an important step.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I remember reading somewhere that early musketmen and arquebusiers would cast their own ammunition and such pre-battle--artillerymen did that too?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Davin Valkri posted:

I remember reading somewhere that early musketmen and arquebusiers would cast their own ammunition and such pre-battle--artillerymen did that too?
Hell, you could make the pieces themselves onsite if it was a siege. But the dudes in those pictures are making sure they have ammunition on hand that matches the piece, looking through what they have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Well, let's pick up our manuals and turn to leaf 158.

:getin:
Note that the first depiction shows that on rocky ground you can turn the rocks into projectiles to maximize damage, while on clean ground you should focus simply on skipping your shot off the earth into your target. If you get the angle right, you should hit them at about torso level.
I believe the technical term for that first one is "sploosh".

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Are these stone balls?

Does the guy in the image with "Sechste Frag" whistle a tune or does he find the barrel sexy? Also, what do the metal chains linked to the carriage do?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Are these stone balls?

Does the guy in the image with "Sechste Frag" whistle a tune or does he find the barrel sexy? Also, what do the metal chains linked to the carriage do?
This is 1582, so it could be either. With iron, you can just cast them instead of paying a cannonball-carver, and those guys make bank. A stone ball is lighter than an iron ball of the same size, though, so it takes less powder. He may find the barrel sexy. I have no idea what the various parts of the carriage do or why there's chains on it, probably something to do with hitching.

Edit: Or with transport; you'd sometimes winch the things off the carriages by the dolphins (the loops above the trunions) and put them in wagons, it could help with that.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Look at the pics that show the guns from above. What's the purpose of these weird contraptions?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Look at the pics that show the guns from above. What's the purpose of these weird contraptions?
I have no idea, but almost every carriage has them. And they unhook, too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pure guess, but either "don't stand here fucknut" barriers or carriage braces for recoil compensation so it goes straight backwards and then you can wheel the gun back into your nice measured position more easily? The first one does seem to be pegged into the ground in some fashion.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My amateur guess is they're for attaching the carriage to a fortification and/or a ship

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wasn't chaining the gun carriage hubs together sometimes used to deter cavalry attacks?

I'd also guess they'd have something to do with transporting the gun - having to haul one of those things across 16th Century Europe meant you had to get inventive and *really* know your Archimedes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Wasn't chaining the gun carriage hubs together sometimes used to deter cavalry attacks?
I'm not sure, honestly. There's pictures of how to fortify your camps with wagons in the back (they fold out), and the wagon wheels are chained together but not the carriage wheels.

quote:

I'd also guess they'd have something to do with transporting the gun - having to haul one of those things across 16th Century Europe meant you had to get inventive and *really* know your Archimedes.

When Francis I brought his big pieces over the Alps, his contemporaries flipped their poo poo. As well they should have.

Edit: Feel free to download that book legally for free by clicking on the link I provided, the Bavarian State Library says it's OK.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
People had big butts back in the day.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Baloogan posted:

People had big butts back in the day.

We have fallen from Eden.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So I'm halfway through Wedgwood's Thirty Years War and definitely seeing the WWI influence, with a lot of time spent pointing out every missed chance for peace in the early part of the war. The edition I got has an additional introduction where she admits that the book was strongly influenced by when it was written. She also says that after WWII she no longer thinks all war is pointless, but sticks to her guns that this one in particular was.

Her writing is great though, and I love how flatly declarative it is. It's refreshing to read a historian that just comes out and says "the Elector of the Palatinate was a goober".

While I'm thanking people for book recommendations, thanks to everyone who recommended Shattered Sword. One question that it brings up for me though, is what was Japan's plan to win the war? It's clear to me that they lost the war when the first bomb hit Pearl Harbor, but did the Japanese general staff leave behind any documents detailing what their high level strategy was? Did they have any actual expectation that the US would sue for peace?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They expected that the Americans would bunch up everything they had and steam for Japan (just like the Russians did in 1905) and that the Imperial navy would intercept and sink it (as they did to the Russian fleet). Their plan for war was literally called The great Battle Plan. The Americans declined a direct fight until they built up resources. The IJN of 1941 was probably better than the US Navy of 1941, but the US Navy of 1944 was an unstoppable juggernaut.

The IJN had a plan, the US Navy had a purpose. A plan can break on an obstacle but a purpose flows over obstacles.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

Do you know what they're doing? They're sizing their pieces and making sure they have ammunition to match. It's an important step.

That guy is clearly not sharing the blocks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

While I'm thanking people for book recommendations, thanks to everyone who recommended Shattered Sword. One question that it brings up for me though, is what was Japan's plan to win the war? It's clear to me that they lost the war when the first bomb hit Pearl Harbor, but did the Japanese general staff leave behind any documents detailing what their high level strategy was? Did they have any actual expectation that the US would sue for peace?

The idea was that they'd smash the US Navy at Pearl Harbor, then smash them again at some decisive battle in the future (it kept getting put off when they realized the US just wasn't going to give it to them) and combine it with seizing a large defensive perimeter that would be so costly to take back that the US would eventually sue for peace.

That's really one of the big pitfalls of the Midway operation - it wouldn't have appreciably extended the defensive perimeter because it would've been really costly to keep supplied while also being vulnerable to long-range bombing from Pearl Harbor, and it also ended up costing the IJN a bunch of carriers that would have come in really useful in a mobile defense role, heading off any attempts to penetrate the established perimeter (like, say, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons/Santa Cruz)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

P-Mack posted:

So I'm halfway through Wedgwood's Thirty Years War and definitely seeing the WWI influence, with a lot of time spent pointing out every missed chance for peace in the early part of the war. The edition I got has an additional introduction where she admits that the book was strongly influenced by when it was written. She also says that after WWII she no longer thinks all war is pointless, but sticks to her guns that this one in particular was.

Her writing is great though, and I love how flatly declarative it is. It's refreshing to read a historian that just comes out and says "the Elector of the Palatinate was a goober".

Kaigun by Evans and Peattie discusses this in excruciating detail. Such excruciating detail that the development of air power and air doctrine got its own sister volume, Sunburst. It's pretty fantastic and similarly readable to Shattered Sword.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

P-Mack posted:

I somehow missed this when someone recommended it so thanks. I was just looking for something to get on audible and Thirty Years War just happens to be on there!

xthetenth posted:

Kaigun by Evans and Peattie discusses this in excruciating detail. Such excruciating detail that the development of air power and air doctrine got its own sister volume, Sunburst. It's pretty fantastic and similarly readable to Shattered Sword.

This is not unfortunately. :(

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Kemper Boyd posted:

Shields went partially out of fashion because you can't really make a bulletproof shield that's usable.

Up until the latter half of the 16th century this is simply not true. Their continued effectiveness against small-caliber weapons (like arquebus) is one of the reasons rodelas remained in use into the 17th century.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Up until the latter half of the 16th century this is simply not true. Their continued effectiveness against small-caliber weapons (like arquebus) is one of the reasons rodelas remained in use into the 17th century.

I was going to ask about this because if modern small arms can effectively be stopped by steel plate a few mm thick, surely it would be even more effective against weapons with relatively lovely armour penetration.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Slavvy posted:

I was going to ask about this because if modern small arms can effectively be stopped by steel plate a few mm thick, surely it would be even more effective against weapons with relatively lovely armour penetration.

Most modern small arms can not be stopped by only a few mm of steel. For anything bigger than a pistol you're talking ballpark half an inch of quality steel at 100 yards, assuming standard ball. Get into purpose designed AP in any common rifle caliber and that goes up fast.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Slavvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54&t=38s

Where do you get ideas like that from? There's various modern military training videos online, where you can see what happens if you hide from rifle fire behind a tree, bricks, car door etc.

Late plate was made to withstand at least pistol shots, and the good quality pieces will often have a test shot made as proof. You can see these dents in museum pieces. I don't know if there's anything to the story that the smith had to wear it when the shot was made.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

HEY GAL posted:

This is 1582, so it could be either. With iron, you can just cast them instead of paying a cannonball-carver, and those guys make bank. A stone ball is lighter than an iron ball of the same size, though, so it takes less powder. He may find the barrel sexy. I have no idea what the various parts of the carriage do or why there's chains on it, probably something to do with hitching.

Edit: Or with transport; you'd sometimes winch the things off the carriages by the dolphins (the loops above the trunions) and put them in wagons, it could help with that.

How long does it take someone to carve a cannonball? It seems a bit impractical for something you're going to be firing off a lot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DerLeo posted:

How long does it take someone to carve a cannonball? It seems a bit impractical for something you're going to be firing off a lot.

How much does modern ordinance cost and how long does it take to manufacture the complex stuff? Even if you're carving near-ish the battlefield you have a lot of time between engagements. Very early cannon also had much longer intervals between firing than the 19th century cannon most people are familiar with

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What kind of training went into ammunition management, both for artillery and infantry? Were there major battles decided because one side ran out of ammunition before the other? Did soldiers leave the lines briefly to resupply, or did they usually carry enough powder and shot to fight battles?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is a great thread. My reading is only to page 137, so apologies if this question happened to come up in the last 20 or so pages and I didn't catch it.

I would like some recommendations for good books / other sources on the militia / American army of the Revolution and early USA. If you can recommend sources particularly discussing firearm culture and the open / concealed carrying of weapons among the general public or the like that'd be great. If it isn't flagrantly obvious, I ask because I'm doing some research for a 2nd Amendment argument. I kind of assume everything I find in a bookstore is going to be some pundit's politically charged screed, but if anyone knows more reasoned or objective sources, it'd be you guys.

Extra apologies if this is not really a military history topic.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

How much does modern ordinance cost and how long does it take to manufacture the complex stuff? Even if you're carving near-ish the battlefield you have a lot of time between engagements. Very early cannon also had much longer intervals between firing than the 19th century cannon most people are familiar with

And any shot from the other side that missed can probably be shot back by your own cannons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

And any shot from the other side that missed can probably be shot back by your own cannons.

Ehhh, I don't know about that. Stone shot has a tendency to shatter from what I understand. Even if it was as durable as iron shot it's going to be buried in whatever geographical feature stopped it (and good luck finding that) or it's going to be located anywhere from ~a thousand yards to a couple of miles in the direction of "that way."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My stepfather used to fire the cannons at Louisbourg Fortress (as a reenactor, he's not that old) and he said that after they forged a new one they were always concerned that the cannon might explode on the first shot. Obviously it helped that they weren't actually shooting a ball and using less powder than a full charge, but was this a common problem? Did a ruptured cannon typically kill the firing crew?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Very early cannon also had much longer intervals between firing than the 19th century cannon most people are familiar with
Yeah, it's not the machine-like pumping out of ordinance that you see in the ACW, it's a single person, who has trained his entire life for this in a weird guild-like thing, who is weighing out powder from a sack, ladling it into his piece, selecting the shot, fusing the loving thing (if it's explosive), sighting the piece in himself, and then firing it, also himself. Everyone else who works on that gun is civilians or musketeers he has working for him and all they do is push the loving thing around/guard him, they don't know enough about any of this to help him with the firing process.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

What kind of training went into ammunition management, both for artillery and infantry? Were there major battles decided because one side ran out of ammunition before the other? Did soldiers leave the lines briefly to resupply, or did they usually carry enough powder and shot to fight battles?
See above. As a musketeer, you have twelve containers of powder and a bunch of bullets in your bandolier. That's not a lot, but people don't fire their weapons as often as they would later. Let's say you're Spanish/working for the Spanish/your general or general-colonel thinks Spanish style squares are a good idea. There's like, 20 guys in your file, so your turn to shoot will come up only rarely.

I am not familiar with any battles decided because one side ran out of ammunition, but it's possible that it could have happened.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

My stepfather used to fire the cannons at Louisbourg Fortress (as a reenactor, he's not that old) and he said that after they forged a new one they were always concerned that the cannon might explode on the first shot. Obviously it helped that they weren't actually shooting a ball and using less powder than a full charge, but was this a common problem? Did a ruptured cannon typically kill the firing crew?
Was his piece wrought iron, cast iron, or bronze? Bronze will bulge outwards and can kill you but need not. Wrought iron will split at the seams, but the great thing about it is that if it's about to fail you can usually tell beforehand. Cast iron will shatter and can kill entire gun crews, and there is no way to tell by looking at the gun whether a cast iron piece is completely fine or just about to kill you all.

Also, the proofing shot should have been done at the foundry. That's been standard practice since the middle ages.

Edit: Rodrigo Diaz knows more about metal than I do, so he might have more to say about this.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 5, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

Also, the proofing shot should have been done at the foundry. That's been standard practice since the middle ages.

Maybe it was and the cannonneers at Louisbourg didn't know that. They didn't and still don't have anything you'd call extensive guild-like training. My stepdad was a baker and one day they told him "w'ill thair, by, we need 'oon to fair tha' cannon todee" because one of the cannon guys quit suddenly, so he got a crash course.

I loved the stuff you wrote earlier about how early on, soldiers saw the cannoneers as something a bit like wizards.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

They called him the Winter King, 'cause that's how long he ruled Bohemia.

Sorry, bro. You were out of your depth.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's a a booklet the anti-British "American Truth Society" published before the US entry into WWI based off the "testimony" of an American deserter from the British Army. Besides the propaganda it makes for interesting reading on its own. He ends up at Galipoli

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23663912M/The_revelations_of_an_American_citizen_in_the_British_army

Posting some of the more interesting parts below.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Oh yeah--also, it's out of date in that we're all fine with the Empire now. Nobody is going to castigate it any more for not being "like a real state," whatever that means, and we are newly appreciative of its variety and its stability. It is what it is. Deal with it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Oh yeah--also, it's out of date in that we're all fine with the Empire now. Nobody is going to castigate it any more for not being "like a real state," whatever that means, and we are newly appreciative of its variety and its stability. It is what it is. Deal with it.

Yeah, I notice there's a lot of places where she laments how this or that fatally impeded the formation of a true German nation, with a more or less unspoken assumption that the modern ethnicity-based nation state is the natural evolution of government.

I remember when I was in college taking a few courses in 20th century history, it felt like there was a similar reappraisal going on towards Austria-Hungary. It guess with the wars and ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia fresh in everyone's mind, there was a renewed appreciation for a multi-ethnic state that managed to chug along for a decent run without open warfare. Can anyone tell me if this is a real historiographical trend or just my professors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Austria hungry was a multi-ethnic state in the same way that pre-1865civil rights movement America was a multi-ethnic state. If you're Austrian you're dandy, Hungarian less so but still okay and everyone else could go get hosed.

E: thinking about it I was way too generous with years for the US on that

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 6, 2014

• Locked thread