Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder how awkward it must be for Iwata that this year's E3 presentation might be the last thing he does as head of the company.
Yeah, uh, about that: Iwata won't be going to E3 this year due to unspecified health concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The real reason behind the big push for QoL attachments become clear. This is like the goddamn plot to The Wolverine now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

His employment is in poor health. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He won't be at the show floor but the digital event is pre-recorded so he's still going to be the host. Note what the article says:

quote:

"As always, he will be actively involved in all of Nintendo's activities at the show," a Nintendo representative said.
Based on that comment I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed a bunch of Iwata Asks interviews to run on Nintendo's all-week-long E3 livestream when they are in the middle of switching between games.

But yeah, he won't be there in LA to answer questions from the US press so it's basically going to fall on Nintendo's puppet figurehead Reggie Fils-Aime to pretend that he has any control over anything and to do damage control if Nintendo fucks up this year.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782230/wii-sports-club-bundle-release-date

Wii Sports Club is getting a US retail release on July 25th, eShop Release on June 26th. $40 for all 5 games.

Can't figure out if they strategy to releasing digital releases before retail releases (NES Remix, Super Luigi U, Wii Fit U, etc.). Is it because the game is done and they want to make it available ASAP, or are they delaying the retail release to get people to purchase on the eShop? Or both?

Just think.. if only they released Wii Sports on a phone, then they wouldn't have to go out of business..

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

He really only has himself to blame for all this... shoulda got out that vitality sensor

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

icantfindaname posted:

Lack of innovation in games has more to do with rising production budgets than financial support from a console. Especially considering basically no console besides the Wii in the 40 years they've existed has actually made money on its own rather than as a loss leader for game licensing. Nintendo's production budgets are already going up, this is why they're releasing fewer and fewer innovative titles as opposed to Mario Kart HD and Super Mario HD World

Essentially they either need to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus or a big monolithic third party like Rockstar making GBS threads out extremely polished but unoriginal HD Mario games. I don't see any spot in the console market for them, unless they want to become a media conglomerate titan that can afford to have a loss leader console hanging about as they recoup the money from third party license fees and an army of second party studios.

How have you made it this far in life when you are this stupid?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Lack of innovation in games has more to do with rising production budgets than financial support from a console. Especially considering basically no console besides the Wii in the 40 years they've existed has actually made money on its own rather than as a loss leader for game licensing. Nintendo's production budgets are already going up, this is why they're releasing fewer and fewer innovative titles as opposed to Mario Kart HD and Super Mario HD World

Essentially they either need to become a small indie-ish third party like Atlus or a big monolithic third party like Rockstar making GBS threads out extremely polished but unoriginal HD Mario games. I don't see any spot in the console market for them, unless they want to become a media conglomerate titan that can afford to have a loss leader console hanging about as they recoup the money from third party license fees and an army of second party studios.

My Uncle also works at Nintendo and he is saying that it's flopping massively and everyone is killing themselves and jumping ship. If only he knew that the way to make some real money was to release Mario Themed Angry Bird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao, this thread owns.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bigass Moth posted:

I've been watching some Mario Kart 8 streams. It looks plasticy, soulless, and in typical mario kart fashion totally unfair to people who play better. System seller for sure.

What do you mean "totally unfair to people who play better" lol.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Bigass Moth posted:

I've been watching some Mario Kart 8 streams. It looks plasticy, soulless, and in typical mario kart fashion totally unfair to people who play better. System seller for sure.

I completely agree with the soulless part, but only if we are talking about your own drug and alcohol-addicted existence, and not Mario Kart 8.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

His employment is in poor health. :v:

This "joke" is in incredibly poor taste. This is an actual man we're talking about, a human being with it's own divine spark, and you're making pathetic "jokes" at his expense. I really expect more from this website.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

conceitedguy posted:

This "joke" is in incredibly poor taste. This is an actual man we're talking about, a human being with it's own divine spark, and you're making pathetic "jokes" at his expense. I really expect more from this website.

Quoting for posterity.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

conceitedguy posted:

Let's be fair, it was low hanging fruit

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

What do you mean "totally unfair to people who play better" lol.

It means he thinks he's better than other people at the game but :qq: blue shells and stars :qq:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

conceitedguy posted:

I really expect more from this website.

Why

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm glad the citizens of our very own FYAD are ever vigilant for attempts to troll idiots in Games, and even though I disagree with them in this instance, I will stump for them nonetheless

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Jokes sure are a thing

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Can we just skip to the Stone Cold Steve Austin spam already? This is getting tiring.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Can we just skip to the Stone Cold Steve Austin spam already? This is getting tiring.

What on earth are you talking about.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Let's be fair, it was low hanging fruit

That was the majority of the gameplay for Pikmin 3.

Enjoy a Berry
Apr 21, 2012
honestly, I would be super happy for an nGuage (the n in this case would stand for ninty) pocket taco. Why carry two devices, when all I would need is a dog and bone and my Nintendo game playing device? This would be their ace in the hole; how much longer do you think they could actually survive with two failing consoles. Somewhat sad but its inevitable.

Also, call me a whale all you want, I'd pay big bucks for easy shinys and enhanced EVs/IVs in Pokémon and I'm sure that I would not be the only one! :nignog:

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Has this thread gone anywhere in the last one hundred pages? The reason why wii u isn't selling well isn't just because of mario kart 8 looking like a souless game that punshes good players on some random shmucks stream.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's going to be plenty to talk about later this month. Nintendo's E3 event on Tuesday will be full of thread material, and the shareholder vote for Iwata's re-election shouldn't be long after.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Enjoy a Berry posted:

honestly, I would be super happy for an nGuage (the n in this case would stand for ninty) pocket taco. Why carry two devices, when all I would need is a dog and bone and my Nintendo game playing device? This would be their ace in the hole; how much longer do you think they could actually survive with two failing consoles. Somewhat sad but its inevitable.

Also, call me a whale all you want, I'd pay big bucks for easy shinys and enhanced EVs/IVs in Pokémon and I'm sure that I would not be the only one! :nignog:

Are you saying the 3ds is failing? Are you retarded?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Has this thread gone anywhere in the last one hundred pages? The reason why wii u isn't selling well isn't just because of mario kart 8 looking like a souless game that punshes good players on some random shmucks stream.

MK8 is like the only thing that happened in the last two months so yeah.

Also I contend that if you seriously complain about MK being unfair you are probably a wiener

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh no I only win a majority of the time instead of every single time this is bullshit!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mario Kart 8 is souless and bad (i've never played it)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Got Mario Kart 8 today, really not impressive. I like the Wii version better, honestly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
David Gibson just tweeted about Iwata's Nintendo stock and salary. My wife and my combined income is actually more than what Iwata is paid in salary each year, which is frankly insane. Just a tiny amount for an executive of a huge multinational corporation. Though his stock is worth somewhere around 8.5 million, so he's still a wealthy man. It's just hard to believe how different executive pay is in some corporate cultures.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Got Mario Kart 8 today, really not impressive. I like the Wii version better, honestly.

lol this owns

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I can't believe anyone could hold this opinion, MKWii was easily the worst entry in the series.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So Nintendo are ripping off LittleBigPlanet, evidently.

http://i.imgur.com/ySIWRBx.jpg

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fulchrum posted:

"ripping off LittleBigPlanet" :rolleyes:

A make-your-own Mario stages game would own

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

If Nintendo does E3 like past years they build giant walls up and put together their booth in secret, so I don't think any photographer would be able to just hop in and sneak a photo like that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Macaluso posted:

"ripping off LittleBigPlanet" :rolleyes:

A make-your-own Mario stages game would own

That would be great, I've always wanted someone to make a painstaking recreation of level 1-1.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

deadwing posted:

I can't believe anyone could hold this opinion, MKWii was easily the worst entry in the series.

Even the Cover art for MKWii sucks

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm guessing Mario Maker's just a small eShop title akin to NES Remix. I hope you can use tilesets from all across the series.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fulchrum posted:

Pretty sure I said this a while back that this'd be the next logical step in the 2D Mario series. Cool to sed that they're doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Mario Maker is what happens when a Mommy Mario and Daddy Mario love each other very much.

• Locked thread