Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

David Gibson just tweeted about Iwata's Nintendo stock and salary. My wife and my combined income is actually more than what Iwata is paid in salary each year, which is frankly insane. Just a tiny amount for an executive of a huge multinational corporation. Though his stock is worth somewhere around 8.5 million, so he's still a wealthy man. It's just hard to believe how different executive pay is in some corporate cultures.

Japanese executive culture is so crazily better than american executive culture. Shame about all the other stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quest For Glory II posted:

If Nintendo does E3 like past years they build giant walls up and put together their booth in secret, so I don't think any photographer would be able to just hop in and sneak a photo like that.

That would require actually having something worth keeping secret

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

That would require actually having something worth keeping secret
That's what made Nintendo's 2013 E3 so disappointing!! And yet they've done it the past few years. And there's no change in floor plans from last year for them, so the plan should still be the same.

There's no degree of photoshopping too implausible for me to not just assume that anything being "leaked" right now is a troll. The real question is why, why does someone print out a booklet and take a photo of them holding it, as if that made it look authentic? The end result is that you just made physical fanfiction. You made it and then you photographed your fanfiction and you shared it with the world.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mariomaker would basically be a way to create your own lovely nsmb levels, which in itself was a cookiecutter bullshit affair of uninspired poo poo. worse, it would just lead to stupid fuckin mariohack kaizo-level crap so the realities of this aren't good. best case scenario would be it lets you remix graphics and objects across all the marios like some weirdo megaman universe thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

mariomaker would basically be a way to create your own lovely nsmb levels, which in itself was a cookiecutter bullshit affair of uninspired poo poo. worse, it would just lead to stupid fuckin mariohack kaizo-level crap so the realities of this aren't good. best case scenario would be it lets you remix graphics and objects across all the marios like some weirdo megaman universe thing.

That seems like something people would have fun with and might make a lot of money for Nintendo and would be really easy to make. It's a good idea.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LBP is a living reminder that there's no substitute for good game and level design no matter how large your sandbox is. And that's the levels/engine MEDIA MOLECULE made, I'm not even talking about the fuckin community levels.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

LBP is a living reminder that there's no substitute for good game and level design no matter how large your sandbox is. And that's the levels/engine MEDIA MOLECULE made, I'm not even talking about the fuckin community levels.

Man, LBP. I haven't played a game with such terrible, unsatisfying platforming physics since the SNES days. At the very least a theoretical Mario Maker will be miles better on that front.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

greatn posted:

David Gibson just tweeted about Iwata's Nintendo stock and salary. My wife and my combined income is actually more than what Iwata is paid in salary each year, which is frankly insane. Just a tiny amount for an executive of a huge multinational corporation. Though his stock is worth somewhere around 8.5 million, so he's still a wealthy man. It's just hard to believe how different executive pay is in some corporate cultures.

He gave himself a 50% pay cut a few months back; although he still wasn't making as much as a lot of CEOs before that, obviously.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Where did David Gibson write about Iwata's salary? I'm only seeing his tweet about "the average income of the 14 directors (including Iwata)" being "$160k". And I'm guessing Iwata might get stock options as well as other perks as compensation, in addition to his regular salary.

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/474698533749022720

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2014

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

That's what made Nintendo's 2013 E3 so disappointing!! And yet they've done it the past few years. And there's no change in floor plans from last year for them, so the plan should still be the same.

There's no degree of photoshopping too implausible for me to not just assume that anything being "leaked" right now is a troll. The real question is why, why does someone print out a booklet and take a photo of them holding it, as if that made it look authentic? The end result is that you just made physical fanfiction. You made it and then you photographed your fanfiction and you shared it with the world.

E3 is definitely big enough to warrant such shenanigans, but generally photoshopping a print out is above 99% of the internets skill level/attention span. Like how locking your car door will deter most thieves.

Random Question: Has there been a single screen shot at all of the (presumed) upcoming zelda title? The only thing I know about is that pre-rendered scene before the Wii U shipped that supposedly showed the fidelity the WiiU is capable of (lol it isnt)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

Random Question: Has there been a single screen shot at all of the (presumed) upcoming zelda title? The only thing I know about is that pre-rendered scene before the Wii U shipped that supposedly showed the fidelity the WiiU is capable of (lol it isnt)

Nope, the video they showed last time out was just a tech demo and that was it. nobody has any idea what it will look like or what the silly instrument will be

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

E3 is definitely big enough to warrant such shenanigans, but generally photoshopping a print out is above 99% of the internets skill level/attention span. Like how locking your car door will deter most thieves.
Well I mean it involves a printer, an instagram account and a free hand, it's usually the free hand part that deters most trolls

Either way, the photo and the printout contradict each other sooooooo. Just get here E3.

e: Editor from Polygon

quote:

@MikeMcWhertor
So, I know that Mario Maker thing is striking a lot of people as fake, but I'll say... I'm a little more confident. :)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 6, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This is super true. That said, there are a lot of really creative people on Miiverse and if they let you attach a level to a post or something it oculd become really easy to follow level developers for new content.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

MinibarMatchman posted:

what the silly instrument will be
The Legend of Zelda: The Hurdy-Gurdy of Heroism

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Well I mean it involves a printer, an instagram account and a free hand, it's usually the free hand part that deters most trolls

Either way, the photo and the printout contradict each other sooooooo. Just get here E3.

e: Editor from Polygon

lol "editor from polygon" reads like a death knell, who would take news about nintendo from them seriously after their borderline autistic writer literally wrote nintendo death fanfiction all week. nintendo's usually extremely tight about their reveals so this would be some real unprecedented sloppiness if the booth is real

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The Baritone Sax of equality. In this Zelda title, you play as a middle aged, black, jazz musician link who plays sax in clubs in New Orleans.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

If Nintendo does E3 like past years they build giant walls up and put together their booth in secret, so I don't think any photographer would be able to just hop in and sneak a photo like that.

Iwata's sick and not there to be a dictator. Reggie is a loose cannon! This lovely photoshop is obviously true and if Nintendo doesn't reveal this game it is a huge failure!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well I mean I don't think anyone would be surprised that Nintendo would possibly NOT have as many games at E3 as Nintendo fans want them to.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hopefully Mario Maker actually has physics that allow you to do things precisely, LBP felt like playing a platformer with mushy potatoes.

I think it is intended to appeal to kids who play Minecraft and enjoy the element of creating and sharing things themselves, not someone who just sets out to ingest what others have done like:

MinibarMatchman posted:

lovely nsmb levels
cookiecutter bullshit affair of uninspired poo poo
stupid fuckin mariohack kaizo-level crap

NSMB is cookiecutter easy poo poo, but the only other option is fuckin mariohack kaizo-level crap? It just looks like a level editor, it'll probably be a snooze but maybe it'll get some neat things done with it. Or at least get Nintendo to make more 3D worlds and less 2D marios.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

There's going to be plenty to talk about later this month. Nintendo's E3 event on Tuesday will be full of thread material, and the shareholder vote for Iwata's re-election shouldn't be long after.

Nintendo recently released documents detailing their shareholders meeting on June 27th:

1.) NOTICE OF THE 74TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS

2.) INFORMATION DISCLOSURE ON THE INTERNET REGARDING THE NOTICE OF THE 74TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS

I'm going through them and any future supplementary documents but here's a summary so far:

- The venue has been changed to the what should be new R&D center in Kyoto. I'll have to double check.

- Total number of employees is down ever so slightly from the number recorded in the March 31, 2014 report but up 133 from the previous fiscal quarter. Nothing major.

- Pokemon at 12.26 million total sales. Animal Crossing 3DS at 7.66 total sales. Link Between Worlds/Luigi's Mansion 2/Mario & Luigi: Dream Team are at 2 million+ apiece.

- Nintendo admits growth is slow for Wii U is spite of multiple million+ selling titles.

- Net sales are down due to Wii U markup in North America/Europe and slow software growth.

- Plan for 3DS is to leverage existing userbase to generate major profit.

- Plan for Wii U is to take advantage of the Wii U game pad's capabilities, such as NFC. Another major focus is eShop and leveraging DS titles for the Wii U virtual console.

- Quality of Life is mentioned. The plan is to initially focus on health and leverage Nintendo's background as an entertainment company to differentiate the product.

- Nintendo plans on utilizing its pool of character IP through licensing. They plan on expanding beyond just video games.

- Hiroshi Yamauchi's shares being distributed through inheritance has had a significant impact on the distribution of company shares. It's the most up to date data we have since the distribution data on Nintendo's investors webpage is seix months old. The new information does not include treasury funds owned by Nintendo in the distribution.

- While there was a billion dollar buyback, it appears to be an on-going process or Yamauchi remaining kids don't want millions of dollars. Currently, Katsuhito Yamauchi (eldest son but not the eldest child of Hiroshi) Banjo Yamauchi (no idea who he is but cool name) have 2.37% and 1.67& of non-treasury stock.

- Dividend payout is down by a very small amount compared to last year. It would actually have been zero if they had used their historical dividend payout calculations.

- There's a very interesting development on page 25 of the 74th notice. Proposal no. 2 details the need for liability limitations in order to continuously secure Outside Directors and have them perform their duties to the best of their abilities. The legal language is difficult to read but suggests that Nintendo's current corporate environment is unable to secure candidates for outside director status due to insufficient limitation of liability.

An outside director is someone who is a member of the board of directors but neither an employee of the company nor holds stake in the company. While the goal of all directors to act in good faith for the investors, the purpose of outside directors is to provide a voice that is not influenced by the internal policies of the company. The amount of, duties of, and power of an outside director can vary depending on national and company laws.

Limitation of director's liability is typically a provision that limits the personal liability of a director in case he or she must pay monetary damages for breach of duties or misconduct. This could include acting in personal financial interest that is in conflict with company interests. Furthermore, their power is protected unless it is stripped through special means, such as a super majority vote from shareholders. It also includes acts not committed in good faith or purposeful misconduct that violates the law or gains personal benefit. Nevertheless, the particulars can vary from corporation to corporation.

Essentially, Nintendo may have insufficient limited liability which has made it difficult for them to attract candidates for the outside director position.

- In the upcoming election, Iwata can lose his status as directer status through unfavorable voting but keep his status as company CEO (and NOA president). While he could potentially lose power as a representative director, he would still continue to lead the company but without the full support of shareholders. Of course, that's assuming that the rest of the board members aren't loyal to him for getting them into their position and Iwata can prop up a replacement proxy, such as Tatsumi Kimishima.

Aren't corporate politics fun?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That all suggests what I've been expecting from Nintendo this month which is a heavy 3DS focus. The 3DS is the only thing making money for them, both hardware and software, so they have to really milk the poo poo out of that consumer base.

2 million for Link Between Worlds seems like a small number considering the 3DS install base but I guess it's only been out for 6 months. Still, though, you'd want more from a Zelda.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll do it Nintendo. I'll be your outside director.

Edit: Those are good Zelda numbers. As popular as it is and as much a company hallmark, it actually isn't one of their top sellers compared to other franchises. Twilight Princess did 7 million on Wii, Skyward Sword did 3.75. Spirit Tracks did 3.25 and Phantom Hourglass did 5m. Ocarina of Time 3D did a little over 3m. So over 2 million in 6 months for A Link between Worlds is very very good, towards the upper end of Zelda games if it continues to sell well for the life of the 3DS.

greatn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 6, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

What on earth are you talking about.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The real question is why, why does someone print out a booklet and take a photo of them holding it, as if that made it look authentic? The end result is that you just made physical fanfiction. You made it and then you photographed your fanfiction and you shared it with the world.

Because it's fun to troll people?

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol "editor from polygon" reads like a death knell, who would take news about nintendo from them seriously after their borderline autistic writer literally wrote nintendo death fanfiction all week. nintendo's usually extremely tight about their reveals so this would be some real unprecedented sloppiness if the booth is real

Yeah, doesn't Microsoft finance Polygon?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The person from NeoGAF at the show that supplied some of the pictures from the inside lobby area:

quote:

Members of the press are not allowed into the halls yet. There is security everywhere, and I'm not interested in being arrested for trespassing, hence why my handful of pics are from the publicly accessible areas outside the halls.

If that photo is real then someone took it while trespassing, haha. I wonder how confident Polygon guy actually is.

What a silly thing to volley back and forth over. Maker-gate.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It just seems too low-key to bother faking. A Mario level editor seems exactly like it would fit into the filler portion of a Direct.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2 million for Link Between Worlds seems like a small number considering the 3DS install base but I guess it's only been out for 6 months. Still, though, you'd want more from a Zelda.

Actually, it's about on-track to what you'd expect from a handheld Zelda title. Aside from Phantom Hourglass (which was by a significant degree the most successful) that's about how they usually go.

To put it another way: It's already outdone the total lifetime sales of both Oracles and Minish Cap and will probably outdo Spirit Tracks before all is said and done.

Zelda is a big franchise but IIRC only 4 games have done over 5 million (counting just a singular release and not stuff like VC): Zelda, LTTP, TOOT and Twilight Princess, the last of which is also the only Zelda to be released on two consoles at the same time. Most of the games end up between 2 and 4 million, give or take.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 6, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If that photo is real then someone took it while trespassing, haha. I wonder how confident Polygon guy actually is.

If that photo is real, they're the last person on earth attending a tech expo who still owns a Motorola RAZR V3.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

deadwing posted:

I can't believe anyone could hold this opinion, MKWii was easily the worst entry in the series.

Objectively, it's MK64, which is garbage with some of the shittiest tracks ever made.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

It just seems too low-key to bother faking. A Mario level editor seems exactly like it would fit into the filler portion of a Direct.
Not for nothing but if you were pitched NintendoLand with no prior knowledge you would assume it would be a filler game for the middle of a showcase and not the major focus of an entire conference, and yet...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

Objectively, it's MK64, which is garbage with some of the shittiest tracks ever made.

MK64 has a good battle mode though, that's enough to put it up ahead of Wii.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

deadwing posted:

MK64 has a good battle mode though, that's enough to put it up ahead of Wii.

It's okay. The worst thing the Wii did was have a battle mode where you respawn when you lost all 3 balloons, instead of being eliminated. Wii U fixes this, but doesn't have any arena tracks yet, unfortunately. As it stands, the Wii U version is by far the best lol.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Not for nothing but if you were pitched NintendoLand with no prior knowledge you would assume it would be a filler game for the middle of a showcase and not the major focus of an entire conference, and yet...

Well, that fireworks display was pretty cool!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Mario Maker idea sounds cool until I remember that there are thousands upon thousands of user-made Mario levels thanks to rom hacks and Super Mario X and that anything Nintendo does probably won't allow anything nearly as robust as what people pull off in those.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet they call the Mario Maker: New Super Mario Bros. YOU

Because YOU make the levels!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
DS games on the Wii U eShop? Isn't that cannibalizing the 3DS and wrecking the point of backwards compatibility?

You know, considering the Wii eShop had Turbografx 16 and Sega Genesis and Neo Geo games, I always wondered why the eShop for the WiiU didn't continue that theme and become the eShop for non-Sony/Microsoft consoles. Put up Sega Saturn, Dreamcast support alongside adding the Gamecube's library. I mean, even if you buy into the whole "Nintendo doesn't talk to anyone outside of Japan," Sega's already in Japan.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Patter Song posted:

DS games on the Wii U eShop? Isn't that cannibalizing the 3DS and wrecking the point of backwards compatibility?

In order to cannibalize 3DS sales, the 3DS would have be the one that's failing hard and selling poorly.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
That reminds me, wasn't Turbografx support supposed to come to the 3DS? Wonder whatever happened to that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Patter Song posted:

You know, considering the Wii eShop had Turbografx 16 and Sega Genesis and Neo Geo games, I always wondered why the eShop for the WiiU didn't continue that theme and become the eShop for non-Sony/Microsoft consoles. Put up Sega Saturn, Dreamcast support alongside adding the Gamecube's library. I mean, even if you buy into the whole "Nintendo doesn't talk to anyone outside of Japan," Sega's already in Japan.

I'd assume that because they are unable to emulate DS games with all the VC bells and whistles on the 3DS because of some lame Nintendo hardware issue, there are no plans to even bring DS games to the 3DS eShop. Same thing for GBA games. So it doesn't cannibalize anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They actually have Advance Wars DS game as a 3DS reward for Japan Club Nintendo don't they? They seem to know how to get it to load into memory, but it's just a matter of where they put it on the roadmap. The 3DS isn't struggling like the Wii U is, so the Wii U is getting some perks earlier. I mean the 3DS Virtual Console is not going to be NES/GB/GG forever, because 3DS is where a lot of the money is, so they're not going to stop there. It's just about that roadmap and when they want to roll stuff out.

• Locked thread