Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I'm going to be traveling for much of the weekend starting tomorrow, so I suppose it would be easiest to trade up here and pick quickly. If anyone up soon is interested a swap, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DMC is on the clock, Miami and Minnesota to follow.

e: DMC is on the ball and picked faster than I could workpost. Good job DMC.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Thanks to the kindness of the Commissioner, the Phillies are trading their

12th, 13th and 20th picks

for Minnesota's

12th, 14th, and 19th.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Merry Marauder posted:

Thanks to the kindness of the Commissioner, the Phillies are trading their

12th, 13th and 20th picks

for Minnesota's

12th, 14th, and 19th.

Confirm

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I like the Dickerson and Brantley picks. I needed someone who was a real right fielder so I couldn't pick them earlier.

PM'ing IcePhoenix my next pick since I'm leaving in 5 minutes and can't check the draft for a while.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was actually targeting Dickerson for later in the draft because I figured people would forget about him :(

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Six picks in under two hours. Good job, y'all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think you mean eight :smug:

Quick someone trade me Cespedes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Holy projects!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Maikel Franco just this moment hit a two-run dinger, but yeah, he's of negative value at 1B. This year, anyway.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
This IS just one year, right? The number of prospects being taken is shocking to me.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

We're supposed to be drafting "our ideal 25 man roster." I interpret that to mean a team that can compete for the championship in Year One, but which also has a future. YMMV

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Prozach posted:

This IS just one year, right? The number of prospects being taken is shocking to me.

it's all about the POWER OF PECOTA

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cold Blooded you have 24 hours to claim Cleveland.

You don't have PMs so I hope you're still following this!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Cold Blooded you have 24 hours to claim Cleveland.

You don't have PMs so I hope you're still following this!

poo poo sorry the past 2 days have been wild at work. I don't get to check very often at my new job. Can I still stay in?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

poo poo sorry the past 2 days have been wild at work. I don't get to check very often at my new job. Can I still stay in?

If you can actually check not very often instead of not at all, sure.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

If you can actually check not very often instead of not at all, sure.

Yep, I'll message someone my picks if I don't think I'll be able to check that day.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
who the gently caress is C.J. Cron

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Prozach posted:

Baby team will prevail or die trying.

angrygodofjebus posted:

who the gently caress is C.J. Cron
The Angels new Mark Trumbo. Has power, can only play 1B/DH.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think a lot of the prospects being taken are guys who are THIS CLOSE to the majors and thus the people drafting them are banking on them making that last step and being big contributors.

How many of those prospects pan out I have no idea.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lmao CJ Cron

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tatankatonk posted:

lmao CJ Cron

85 plate appearances in 1 season, cross your fingers and hope OOTP is feeling generous.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Some of these teams are going to be disappointed when their third or fourth starter, a prospect, receives his first scouting report and has downgraded from a potential of 4.5 stars to 2.0 stars.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
for my next pick I take carlos rodon!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I think a lot of the prospects being taken are guys who are THIS CLOSE to the majors and thus the people drafting them are banking on them making that last step and being big contributors.

How many of those prospects pan out I have no idea.

Miguel Sano being taken at all is hilariously stupid, let alone at like 110 or wherever the hell he was taken.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

for my next pick I take carlos rodon!!!

screw you, bro. im takin akein then!!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

My reasoning for taking Javier Baez is that he's a lottery ticket. If he gets a good roll he might hit as well enough to be worth it, if he doesn't, well I'll just have to draft someone who can man SS later. Archie Bradley is basically the same idea: if he completely busts I'll move him to LR or something, but I think that the possible upside is worth gambling on.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I need to read some high school scouting webpages I guess. Got some pretty INSIDE INFO selections now!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

My reasoning for taking Javier Baez is that he's a lottery ticket. If he gets a good roll he might hit as well enough to be worth it, if he doesn't, well I'll just have to draft someone who can man SS later. Archie Bradley is basically the same idea: if he completely busts I'll move him to LR or something, but I think that the possible upside is worth gambling on.
This is a fake thing for fun, just pick who you want to. Don't need to explain it to anybody

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It just gives me false hope before my inevitable 69-93 season.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I didn't do my research and thought Soler had already played a year in AA/AAA so it's me, I'm the Dumb Guy

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I don't mind explaining it. I think it's fun to try and make the best team, and I'm just saying why I think prospects are worth taking. I'm not trying to justify myself or anything, I just like talking out strategy.

Also if Carlos Rodon is actually draftable, I'm taking him, terrible pick or not.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I don't mind explaining it. I think it's fun to try and make the best team, and I'm just saying why I think prospects are worth taking. I'm not trying to justify myself or anything, I just like talking out strategy.

Also if Carlos Rodon is actually draftable, I'm taking him, terrible pick or not.

Pretty sure IcePhoenix already said this years draft pool isn't eligible.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

mks5000 posted:

Miguel Sano being taken at all is hilariously stupid, let alone at like 110 or wherever the hell he was taken.

He's certainly no Gregor Blanco, who will not fail to be Gregor Blanco.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

An nondescript but pretty cool guy who amassed a whopping 6.7 bWAR over 582 games?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

Pretty sure IcePhoenix already said this years draft pool isn't eligible.

I did!

IcePhoenix posted:

I really hope nobody gets autopicked before this Punto gets drafted because I'm really interested to see where he would actually be drafted.

When I was catching up with putting the picks in last night I noticed that there are players from this year's draft class in the player pool, so I just wanted to make sure that if anyone else is using OOTP to follow along they know that those guys are not eligible to be drafted. Prospects already in farm systems are still fair game, of course.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Speaking of following along, OOTP reset my draft back to 1/1 on me so I'm glad I'm not the sucker running this. All the players are still with the team who drafted them and the log is in tact but, after I reloaded the saved game, it thought Baltimore was up in the first round even though the last player drafted on my log was the middle of the 11th. I guess it's easier to follow now that the list of decent players remaining is pretty limited.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He's a plus defender in Centerfield who gets on base at an average clip. This late in the draft I'm pretty happy with that pick

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I joined this to have a little fun. Can we stop making GBS threads on people's picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

theacox posted:

I joined this to have a little fun. Can we stop making GBS threads on people's picks?

Some would argue that's part of the fun!

Also Sano isn't a bad pick, y'all are dumb.

e: well it was too early, but he's not going to be the worst third baseman and probably won't even be bottom ten.

• Locked thread