Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

As far as a quick look at their Tumblr reveals, they are also both teenagers. Anyone who hands out $80k to an 18 year old Tumblrite to play filmmaker with is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Eww, tumblr noses. That's from tumblr alright.

But at least the art is somewhat cute. This, on the other hand...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

I like the forest picture. Reminds me of Myst. Character art eh.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Yeah actually, I don't understand the discrepancy between the look of the characters and the look of the environments. The environments look pretty neat but the characters look like complete poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Noyemi K posted:

Yeah actually, I don't understand the discrepancy between the look of the characters and the look of the environments. The environments look pretty neat but the characters look like complete poo poo.

People are way harder to draw than landscapes? :shrug:

Actually, its probably a different artist? The forest looks great but its a B&W sketch with tons of hatching and stuff. Meanwhile the character art is like just minimalist outlines that were filled in using MS paint or something.

Some of the pages of the comic look better in the video... er, no they don't.

How could you understand perspective when you draw the buildings but then forget about it completely when you draw the people?! :confused:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

Eww, tumblr noses. That's from tumblr alright.

Yeah, if everyone on tumblr could stop giving their characters bright orange/red noses that would be great.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
A guide to the Furry Fandom! for only $2000.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, if everyone on tumblr could stop giving their characters bright orange/red noses that would be great.

I don't even know where it started :confused:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I don't mind tumblr nose thing on its own, it's the fact the loving everyone does it that made me hate it. Especially when they overexagerrate it and/or slap it on images where it does not fit at all. Like that picture with Holmes and Watson, I think everyone here saw it.

But there is already a very good guide to furry fandom - Encyclopedia Dramatica. And it's even free.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There was a dude who got helldumped back in like 2007 before tumblr was a thing who did that thing, and also did the ridiculous red/orange shading on knees and elbows. Sadly archives are down but I think he might have been close to Patient Zero for that particular lovely art style.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The secret is all tumblr users are burgeoning alcoholics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, so the cartoon Tumblr is actually by the person who made the original pictures, so it's not stolen.

Everything else is awful, though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Apparently kickstarter changed its rules making them even more lax, and replaced the validation process so its now done by an algorithm only checking if info are filled.

That should probably give us more material for this thread.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2085621436/miss-officer-and-mr-truffles

Hey guys, we're not animators at all. Give us nearly a million dollars Nearly $100,000 to make a 7 minute Youtube flash cartoon based on an idea we literally stole from Tumblr, 1/5 of which is purely going to merchandising. Also, we've bullied plenty of animators off the project, and we're not even paying some of them. But that's okay, they'll get exposure. Also, one of our screennames is "livethefaggotry" so we're good people.

This is secretly Sam Hyde

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I imagine Kickstarter had three words to say about it.

Cease and Desist.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I imagine Kickstarter had three words to say about it.

Cease and Desist.

Oh poo poo, they cancelled it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen this youtube video taking down the $1 million solar roadway project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H901KdXgHs4

I can't believe this thing got funded to such an extent.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nirvikalpa posted:

Has anyone seen this youtube video taking down the $1 million solar roadway project?

literally 2 pages ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nirvikalpa posted:

Is there much to the video besides "it would be high maintenance and less practical than tons of other surfaces we could solarize first?"

Cause I'm not sitting thru a thunderf00t video, unless it's him being savaged by wolves or lowered into a cauldron of angry scorpions or something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Best way to prove it doesn't work is let the free market decide. Once he takes the money and spends it on peyote vacations everyone will be filled with regret

Otisburg posted:

Is there much to the video besides "it would be high maintenance and less practical than tons of other surfaces we could solarize first?"

Cause I'm not sitting thru a thunderf00t video, unless it's him being savaged by wolves or lowered into a cauldron of angry scorpions or something.

What is he a let's player or something

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Otisburg posted:

He also touches on how it would be incredibly expensive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alan Smithee posted:

Worse, an Internet Atheist superstar.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I don't know who thunderf00t is but it was a pretty good breakdown of all the problems with it. And then at the end he spends a couple minutes talking about his haters and how he's not being paid off by anyone, and promoting his own crowdfunding. So I can kind of see why you don't like him.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Out of morbid curiosity, I checked up on local successful Kickstarters, and one result was found. Someone getting $3500 for salsas, and they apparently cut and ran. Half the comments are of people asking for either refunds or their salsa for over a year. Which is exactly what I had expected.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, I checked up on local successful Kickstarters, and one result was found. Someone getting $3500 for salsas, and they apparently cut and ran. Half the comments are of people asking for either refunds or their salsa for over a year. Which is exactly what I had expected.

Link? My favorite to this day is still the lady who took a couple thousand iirc and then said she could no longer complete her project because the sun told her not to

everyone's response was "welp I guess we got took. Shame"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Link? My favorite to this day is still the lady who took a couple thousand iirc and then said she could no longer complete her project because the sun told her not to

I'd say the blame for that one is on the sun

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I hope Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: Episodes Three through Six gets a good end-of-campaign rush. It did get a large pledge a couple of days ago.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alan Smithee posted:

The best part about that, was that she was obviously naked in her kickstarter profile picture. Giving money to a naked crazy lady is always a sound financial investment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best part about that, was that she was obviously naked in her kickstarter profile picture. Giving money to a naked crazy lady is always a sound financial investment.

It can make for a fun weekend though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Alan Smithee posted:

He's an a-bloo-bloo-bloo-women-wont-touch-my-penis baby bitch like the banana loving amazing atheist

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

BiggerJ posted:

I hope Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: Episodes Three through Six gets a good end-of-campaign rush. It did get a large pledge a couple of days ago.

If this doesn't get funded while the solar roadway people get away with millions of dollars, I will be pretty bummed out

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Alan Smithee posted:

She actually made a normal reading update a few weeks ago, still no product yet of course (it was funded three years ago and it's a card game she'd made, just needed the money to print and ship them), actually all her KS updates sound pretty normal. Then you go to her facebook and it's total stream-of-concious word salad:

quote:

Hard question time: something keeps trying to attack me and its pressuring plasma INTO me... and I believe FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE being out around lots of different kinds of people in the city... that its black females being "desert culture" and trying to make their reproductive ability dominate everything. and this includes sitting behind a black woman on the bus yesterday when I was comforable... and my oxygen/ uv ray relationship was arguing with hers... and this is not an isolated incident. I think "desert culture pregnancy" may be killing bees and fish in the Ocean, and I HEARD some of the uv ray voices claiming to be "Obama"... now how do I respond to HEARING black people talking at me through the materials, and having to argue with them because I am trusted by part of the ecosystem, but one simply denied me from my own body comfort simply for being WHITE, another for being female and not serving a husband, another for my celibacy, and another for being white and younger looking than her?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

He's an a-bloo-bloo-bloo-women-wont-touch-my-penis baby bitch like the banana loving amazing atheist

Well that is too bad. But I found the video enjoyable except for the end where I groaned when he was talking about being a source for rational news.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

kemikalkadet posted:

She actually made a normal reading update a few weeks ago, still no product yet of course (it was funded three years ago and it's a card game she'd made, just needed the money to print and ship them), actually all her KS updates sound pretty normal. Then you go to her facebook and it's total stream-of-concious word salad:

I'm not sure if that's so much stream-of-consciousness as legit schizophrenia :stare:

Pyrex Vuitton
Mar 5, 2013
Zombie Hunters the Game, a game that strangely enough has apparently nothing to do with hunting zombies. There seems to be at least 1 lovely video game in development near me every time I look on Kickstarter.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So at this point, what's the ratio of funded-nonfunded Kickstarter goals? Someone said earlier that you don't even need to try anymore because the approval system just checks if you have all the info filled in.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Pyrex Vuitton posted:

Zombie Hunters the Game, a game that strangely enough has apparently nothing to do with hunting zombies. There seems to be at least 1 lovely video game in development near me every time I look on Kickstarter.

Jesus Christ, I'm glad Kickstarter wasn't a big thing when I was in high school because I would have been that jackass asking for funding for an RPG Maker game. :negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Everything about this is awful.

quote:

The intent of the the game is to launch a new cross media fantasy multiverse, which we hope to span video games, comics, novels, movies and more

Get me Michael Bay!

quote:

dwindling natural energy resources

On their map I see huge forests, mountains, etc. I guess those don't count? Looks like a lush land to me, not very barren or desolated.

And why is the ice cap on one continent at one position, then on the other continent its sunny green fields? I imagine while doodling the map one afternoon after mom gave them some Sunny D and Fruit Roll-ups, they said "wait we need a snow area! Snow areas are COOL!" and voila, it was so.

quote:

In Zombie Hunters the Game we have added dynamic difficulty

Guess they didn't play Oblivion.

quote:

we have added realistic effects such as walking sounds and animations, as well as lighting effects. Flames flicker, tracks in snow, and more

:monocle:

quote:

A piano system will be added that allows the player to learn musical pieces that will unlock strange and wondrous things

Translation: we have no idea what they'll do.

quote:

$10000 ----- If we hit this goal we will make Zombie Hunters the Game free forever.

Hm.

quote:

Big time developers had teams of 10+ that worked on these games where we are but two.

Over ten people?!?

Also the pledge rewards are great, $75 gets you their next game free, $100 gets you their next TWO games free, and $125 gets you their next THREE games free! What a bargain!

Plus they said they want it to be a trilogy, but now it's a quadrilogy? I guess they just let the prequel slip!

Also best part: The project creators facebook image:

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Jun 7, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

My favourite bit is the part where he's fighting the dragon when it's supposed to be about zombies.

I guess every RPG's gotta have a dragon in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
W-well, maybe it's a zombie dragon!