Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Traveller posted:

I can't tell if this a fake or not:

He couldn't pander to ADTRW any more blatantly.

Also, any word on lowtax's interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Quoting for next page.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

MizPiz posted:

He couldn't pander to ADTRW any more blatantly.

Also, any word on lowtax's interview?

Hey I just remembered that Lowtax's name comes from a likely Republican hero, Byron Lowtax Looper who shot dead his Democratic opponent in the race for Tennessee state senate. Despite being arrested on suspicion of the murder, he nearly won the seat by default, a travesty foiled only by a write-in campaign to nominate the dead rep's widow.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I can find no context for this but I'm not sure I need to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Surely this will out the issue to rest. Coming up next on "Hannity!", how the Taliban Five are connected to Benghazi and what it means for Obamacare.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

Have any of you seen the trailer for the hot, new Christian action movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FslottUKo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1761005/

It has slow-mo bullet time! Topical subject matter! Blonde female Fox News anchor #14! Fred Thompson is a priest!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Eponymouse posted:

It has slow-mo bullet time! Topical subject matter! Blonde female Fox News anchor #14! Fred Thompson is a priest!

Theres no way this is real. This is something you would see in the onion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

No no, Hitler was just the most influential man in 1938. And you can't argue with that! He was definitely influential, and Time magazine was in no way tickled that finally someone was standing up and telling the truth about the blacks and the Jews.

Oh did I say "truth"? I meant uh, not that!

So you think Time also really loved Stalin then, right?

Joseph Stalin, Man of the Year 1939

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Traveller posted:

I can't tell if this a fake or not:

Breitbart Attack On Titan. gently caress my stupid life. gently caress everything.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

Must Read and disseminate: Facts

When are you guys going to realize this literally means nothing to the majority of right wing talking-points spewers?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Gozinbulx posted:

When are you guys going to realize this literally means nothing to the majority of right wing talking-points spewers?

Everyone knows facts have a liberal bias. It's not about what's true, but what you feel in your heart.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

For me, it's not about going toe-to-toe with Rush in real life, but about being able to point out inaccuracies when racist uncles turn the radio to right-wing AM while driving.

"Nope, Putin is short and has a delicate voice" "Nope, Sandra wasn't testifying out of nymphomania - ever heard of PCOS?" "Food stamps are one of the most profitable government expenditures, and we're still in a recession" "This is actually going to put Russia in a vulnerable position with relation to reliance on China, it's not the worst course of action" "Actually, this same host was respectfully calling for that POW's safe return a couple of years ago" "That's not actually how net neutrality works" "He's just mad that Obama managed regime change with no boots on the ground"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Gozinbulx posted:

Oh I know, but with this one especially, it's making too much noise in real life for me, so the facts are useful. I just wanted to share.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

In 1939?! Hmm, yeah, now that you mention it, the right did have an explicable fondness for old Uncle Joe that year, I wonder why...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yea of all the times to do it...

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I find myself getting unusually increasingly pissed about the reaction to Bergdahl. I just don't get the disrespect for life in this situation. Just watched the lead video on CNN and legislators are bickering over how healthy Bergdahl looked in some proof of life video the public hasn't seen. To hear the legislators speak is as if he was too healthy looking to be pulled out. WTF? Maybe if he looked like a end stage cancer patient that would have been the signal to go, but not before then? And how does all this talk hinting around, but not really coming out and saying leaving Bergdahl to die squares up these same folks supposed respect for the troops? How can one claim to be on the side of the very troops that they claim willfully sacrificed their lives to secure Bergdahl's release? Isn't that just cheapening the slain soldiers sacrifice then? I understand somewhat how people could get amped up over Bergdahl's level of patriotism and going awol, but that total disrespect for his life is just awful.

My respect goes up for Obama processing all the Congressional BS that would result in this guy languishing and likely dying and saying screw you guys I have a soul.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 6, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

The thing is, before he was rescued Bergdahl was the poster boy for conservative patriotic anger over Obama not "bringing are boy home". Now that Obama brought him home they're OUTRAGED. I can't apply reason to these peoples' actions anymore because they have shown themselves to be, simply, hateful racist ratfuckers who prioritize blaming Obama over literally anything else.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don't think it's even a question that if he died over there without being brought home, the right would be screaming 'never leave a man behind!' from the rooftops for weeks on end and using this as another example of how Obama doesn't care about the troops.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't think we'd have a "scandal" that turned out to be dumber than BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! yet here we are.

To think, this guy had to make the unfortunate mistake of being involved in something that might have made Obama look good.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 6, 2014

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I mean it literally doesn't matter what happens anymore since any event that occurs will be both bad and Obama's fault. If he cured cancer tomorrow they would find some way to piss and moan about it, no exaggeration at all.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 6, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eponymouse posted:

Leo, nooooo :negative:

Oh wait, John Spencer is dead. Phew.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't imagine this will end well, though, will it? Like, in the best case for these people he really did try to defect and...I dunno I'm positive we have ways of handling that other than 'let them rot and die' and we'll do those to him while making it clear regardless of context the core value of we do not leave Americans behind is what defines us in these situations? So like, yea aside from making the normal "OBAMA LITERALLY WANTS TO DESTROY AMERICA" nuts happy what is this going to DO other than make the GOP look just...cruel? Like, the optics of this, even if you agree this is something to investigate, are the GOP are bullying a man who spent five years as a prisoner in a horrible place because we heard what two random dipshits say 'yea he totally deserted' and nothing more?

Basically by election time is there any way this isn't either a footnote the GOP desperately tries to hide like other fake scandals or something that people go 'oh right I remember when near the entire right wing power structure attacked a fuckin POW for some reason' about?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axetrain posted:

Yeah I mean it literally doesn't matter what happens anymore since any event that occurs will be both bad and Obama's fault. If he cured cancer tomorrow they would find some way to pass and moan about it, no exaggeration at all.

My favorite Lydon B Johnson quote is "I could walk across the waters of the Potomac and the next day the headline in the newspaper would be President Cannot Swim"

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't imagine this will end well, though, will it? Like, in the best case for these people he really did try to defect and...I dunno I'm positive we have ways of handling that other than 'let them rot and die' and we'll do those to him while making it clear regardless of context the core value of we do not leave Americans behind is what defines us in these situations? So like, yea aside from making the normal "OBAMA LITERALLY WANTS TO DESTROY AMERICA" nuts happy what is this going to DO other than make the GOP look just...cruel? Like, the optics of this, even if you agree this is something to investigate, are the GOP are bullying a man who spent five years as a prisoner in a horrible place because we heard what two random dipshits say 'yea he totally deserted' and nothing more?

Basically by election time is there any way this isn't either a footnote the GOP desperately tries to hide like other fake scandals or something that people go 'oh right I remember when near the entire right wing power structure attacked a fuckin POW for some reason' about?

Anyone who is going to care about this in six months is either voting D already or will justify their R vote because Obama made a bad website. If it's not playing well, they'll hide it faster than you can say Cliven Bundy.

E: like I said before I really hope I'm wrong but no one has ever gone broke betting on Democrats being able to fail to capitalize on opportunity.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry, but to quickly go off topic, I have a question.

Conservatives say that we need voter ID laws to prevent fraud, but even if you agreed with that, some of the poo poo that they've constantly proposed, like eliminating early voting and weekend voting makes no sense. I haven't seen anyone defend those particular aspects of Voter ID. What is the right-wing defense for those?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Conservatives say that we need voter ID laws to prevent fraud, but even if you agreed with that, some of the poo poo that they've constantly proposed, like eliminating early voting and weekend voting makes no sense. I haven't seen anyone defend those particular aspects of Voter ID. What is the right-wing defense for those?

1. Having polls open over the span of multiple days allows for more opportunities for in-person voter fraud because it gives fraudsters plenty of time to criss-cross the state.

2. Voting is SUPPOSED to be hard, and anyone who doesn't "have their poo poo together" enough to vote with the proper documents at the proper time clearly isn't invested enough in the democratic process to have a say in it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

2. Voting is SUPPOSED to be hard, and anyone who doesn't "have their poo poo together" enough to vote with the proper documents at the proper time clearly isn't invested enough in the democratic process to have a say in it.

I love responding to this by proposing a ban on private vehicle transportation on election day. The roads need to be clear to permit busses to travel unimpeded.

If you don't care enough about voting to get to your polling station via bus, boots or bike, you really aren't invested enough in the process.

Pretty much every defense of voter ID can apply to this, except in this case it works to the advantage of poor voters to the detriment of well off voters.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Interweb posted:

To think, this guy had to make the unfortunate mistake of being involved in something that might have made Obama look good.

I sort of want him to make a public statement about how he left the base because Obama (however he can reason it) just to see if the right can pull yet another messaging 180 on this topic

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

In 1939?! Hmm, yeah, now that you mention it, the right did have an explicable fondness for old Uncle Joe that year, I wonder why...

This is the first time I've heard of right wingers supporting the Soviet seizure of Poland and stationing of troops in the Baltic states, but ok.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

1. Having polls open over the span of multiple days allows for more opportunities for in-person voter fraud because it gives fraudsters plenty of time to criss-cross the state.

And when you extend those arguments further, it goes past voter fraud and into "who should be allowed to vote at all". Hint: It doesn't include people who live in public housing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

And when you extend those arguments further, it goes past voter fraud and into "who should be allowed to vote at all". Hint: It doesn't include people who live in public housing.

Getting people to drop the focus grouped pretenses and say what they really mean is a public service as far as I'm concerned.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Ha. I figured about as much for #1.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Cost savings, it saves the funds they would have to pay for the service.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm wondering if voter suppression is going to explode in their faces. A not-insignificant amount of their base are working poor and elderly, both groups with challenges getting to polls and obtaining ID.

ID laws mobilized left-leaning churches and social organizations to get IDs and ride-shares. It was a transparent attack on their voting rights, of course they're going to react. But I haven't seen any voter-prep from the right. Is the assumption that their base is all SUV drivers' licence having middle-management? Because that seriously is not the face of the GOP.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I love responding to this by proposing a ban on private vehicle transportation on election day. The roads need to be clear to permit busses to travel unimpeded.

And make sure to offer to fill out their absentee-by-mail ballot, while you're on that. You'd think anyone so concerned about high-effort high-expense voter fraud would worry more about the vastly easier alternate method without face-time or effort+scheduling commitments.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is the first time I've heard of right wingers supporting the Soviet seizure of Poland and stationing of troops in the Baltic states, but ok.

Relax, I'm just taking some potshots at Time. Am I being completely unfair and slanting historical context to fit my a preconceived story? Yep, sure am! I'm being utterly irresponsible, unfair, and mendacious; think of it as practice for a job interview as a journalist for Time!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, the optics of this, even if you agree this is something to investigate, are the GOP are bullying a man who spent five years as a prisoner in a horrible place because we heard what two random dipshits say 'yea he totally deserted' and nothing more?

Well you'd think that the revelation that the intelligence on Saddam's WMD's was totally false, the shocking deficiencies in equipment and armor for troops deploying to Iraq, and the total disregard of the Army's recommended troop levels to control the country, all resulting in the needless deaths of American troops (not to mention the refusal to fund the VA properly or modernize the GI Bill to help returning veterans) would have sunk Bush in 2004 and ensured any Republican who ever again claimed to Support the Troops without addressing any of that poo poo would get laughed out of the room...but nope!

For a lot of Americans, supporting the troops means sticking a yellow ribbon on your car, never questioning any Republican who wants to send them to war, and relentless cheerleading for more war spending without bothering about whether the money is going to politically-connected contractors or towards body armor for soliders and care for veterans.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Does anyone know if Lowtax's Fox thing aired?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

I'm wondering if voter suppression is going to explode in their faces. A not-insignificant amount of their base are working poor and elderly, both groups with challenges getting to polls and obtaining ID.

ID laws mobilized left-leaning churches and social organizations to get IDs and ride-shares. It was a transparent attack on their voting rights, of course they're going to react. But I haven't seen any voter-prep from the right. Is the assumption that their base is all SUV drivers' licence having middle-management? Because that seriously is not the face of the GOP.

The evangelical churches have been the GOTV arm of the GOP for decades, they probably have systems set up already to help people get to the polls.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Relax, I'm just taking some potshots at Time. Am I being completely unfair and slanting historical context to fit my a preconceived story? Yep, sure am! I'm being utterly irresponsible, unfair, and mendacious; think of it as practice for a job interview as a journalist for Time!

You're not even close to matching the proper Time attitude and jingoism. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So Jake Tapper asked McCain about his supposed flip flop on the negotiations with the taliban:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-tapper-grills-mccain-over-his-bergdahl-deal-flip-flopping/

In the original clip with Anderson Cooper, McCain says that he was originally opposed to the idea of releasing prisoners because the Taliban were asking for a one sided deal. But McCain said that if they would turn over a POW, he would be okay with that. And note, he specifically says 5 "high ranking" Taliban members. Now he's saying that 1) 5 high ranking members should never have been released (or maybe they should have but for a much higher price, if we're being generous) and 2) that they shouldn't be allowed to stay in Qatar with free movement for a year. These guys were going to be released soon anyway, right? Does McCain think that if they were held for an extra year they would suddenly stop wanting to kill Americans?