Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lemming posted:

Metroid Prime is the One True Retro series, I'll cut you fcuker

The first game was probably the best of its generation, maybe Resident Evil 4 or Persona 4. The second 2 were also real good. Retro is the best game studio in terms of content always reaching a terrific quality. I'm loving pumped to see what's on the horizon for Retro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

greatn posted:

Don't press the TV button?

I don't- I've found that ever since I hooked up my Wii U, the volume indicator will randomly pop up on my TV (the volume doesn't change though).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

UncleGuito posted:

I don't- I've found that ever since I hooked up my Wii U, the volume indicator will randomly pop up on my TV (the volume doesn't change though).

The Wii U isn't doing that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Look around the house for sneaky practical jokers.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Maybe his TV is getting confused by the sensor bar somehow? :shrug:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

http://fredmeyer.inserts2online.com/rssItem.jsp?drpStoreID=122&adId=54332&itemId=41609976&media=share#.U5Dsky0Cguc.gmail

Is this a decent deal? $270 for the Mario & Luigi Bundle?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Put a bit of solid tape over the IR receiver on your TV, it should be a small dark circle. It sounds like either the TV is hosed or the Wiimote's emitter happens to share frequencies/coding with your TV

e: $270's ok, though you can get it with a different game for $200 though Nintendo, and the other bundles can go for $200 too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Wii remote doesn't have an emitter, it has a camera. The sensor bar has the emitter.

Also the gamepad does not use IR for communication to the console, it uses it only from the TVii ap, the TV button menu, or to communicate with peripherals like the wii fit meter. I think it uses some kind of bluetooth for game controls and some kind of wifi for gamepad streaming.

Then again maybe you have some fancy TV controlled by blutooth and wifi.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

greatn posted:

I think it uses some kind of bluetooth for game controls and some kind of wifi for gamepad streaming.

While the Wii Remotes and other non-Gamepad input devices do use BlueTooth, I'm pretty sure the GamePad controls travel alongside the same bands as the A/V signal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You wouldn't happen to have a Samsung television by any chance? The control board burning out in them is a relatively common problem and then it registers one of the volume buttons being constantly pressed.

Whatever the answer is, it doesn't make a lot of for it to be the WiiPad since it shouldn't be sending any IR signal unless you actively bring up the TV control.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

While the Wii Remotes and other non-Gamepad input devices do use BlueTooth, I'm pretty sure the GamePad controls travel alongside the same bands as the A/V signal.

It wouldn't work very well if that were true because that stuff is very directional and bounces right off walls, the gamepad you can play a game through a wall or facing completely away.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Controls are Bluetooth. Video is modified WiFi. IR is only when deliberately running a tv control program.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Put a bit of solid tape over the IR receiver on your TV, it should be a small dark circle. It sounds like either the TV is hosed or the Wiimote's emitter happens to share frequencies/coding with your TV

e: $270's ok, though you can get it with a different game for $200 though Nintendo, and the other bundles can go for $200 too.

I've only seen the refurb bundle for $200 with Nintendolife. Do they have different ones?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Controls are Bluetooth. Video is modified WiFi. IR is only when deliberately running a tv control program.

Eurogamer posted:

Controller inputs themselves are beamed back to the Wii U via the same WiFi channel (180 times per second no less), in contrast to the Bluetooth employed by the Wiimote.

??

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

pokeyman posted:

[url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-secrets-of-the-wii-u-gamepad]

??

Told y'all so!

greatn posted:

It wouldn't work very well if that were true because that stuff is very directional and bounces right off walls, the gamepad you can play a game through a wall or facing completely away.

I meant the video signal, not the IR signal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo World store in NYC will have playable Smash to the public at all hours between June 11th-15th.

http://www.nintendoworldstore.com/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fuxxo posted:

Can anyone tell me what I would miss out on by buying a WiiU from a different region to my 3DS?

Nintendo seems to finally taking steps towards some sort of cross-buy system, so there's that, but who knows how long that'll take to really get going.

Aside from that, just minor things like a shared wallet and being able to use your Wii U DD credit on 3DS games.

EDIT: for clarity, you won't be able to use your NNID on two different systems of different regions.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pokeyman posted:

[url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-secrets-of-the-wii-u-gamepad]

??

Huh. I stand corrected. And a little confused as to why Nintendo uses that instead of Bluetooth.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Huh. I stand corrected. And a little confused as to why Nintendo uses that instead of Bluetooth.

Bluetooth doesn't give them any advantages since they have to set up wi-fi anyway. I'm guessing it's mainly just to have fewer moving parts, keep things simpler. And no weirdness where e.g. a bluetooth signal gets interfered with while the wi-fi works fine, rendering a game frustratingly unplayable.

Bluetooth makes total sense in a Wiimote or Pro Controller though. Way less power usage.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So if I'm on the castle world in 3D world does that mean I'm nearing the end? Because if so this game felt really short...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

So if I'm on the castle world in 3D world does that mean I'm nearing the end? Because if so this game felt really short...

No, there's still a lot of game left

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PantsBandit posted:

You need to 100% all the levels to open the last level. So if you haven't been 100%ing, might as well go back and start doing that, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The 3D- Mario games like messing with your expectations.

There's one more whole world before the final boss, and then 4 more harder bonus worlds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

There's one more main story level after that one. Then there's 3 bonus worlds. Then there's one final hard as poo poo bonus world. You still have a lot of content don't worry. And going back and getting all the stamps, green stars and flag poles offers TONS of replayability when you get through that stuff (and like was said, you have to get all green stars, stamps and flagpoles to open up the final world).

You haven't even seen Bowser's TRUE form yet ;)

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've been really paranoid about messing up my gamepad. Does anyone have some kind of preferred product or whatever they use to protect it? I've been putting mine back in the wrap that it came in.

Also I sort of wish the refurbished Wii U still came with the charging cradle... I've got so used to that for my 3DS.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Can I suggest we throw Earthbound onto the "games to recommend" list? It's a virtual console game but it's really great that it's out and has really held up over time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
If anyone hasn't bought MK8 yet for some reason then Amazon has it for sub $50 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-8-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00DC7G2W8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1402022157&sr=1-1

Get on it. It's super fun.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Crowbear posted:

If anyone hasn't bought MK8 yet for some reason then Amazon has it for sub $50 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-8-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00DC7G2W8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1402022157&sr=1-1

This combined with having Amazon Prime and a $50 gift card got me to give in and buy it and a refurbished system from Nintendo. $12 was all it took to push me over the edge.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ya know, I like 3D World a lot but I can say in no uncertain terms that I think the recent Rayman games have been both better platformers and prettier.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MaxDuo posted:

I've been really paranoid about messing up my gamepad. Does anyone have some kind of preferred product or whatever they use to protect it? I've been putting mine back in the wrap that it came in.

Also I sort of wish the refurbished Wii U still came with the charging cradle... I've got so used to that for my 3DS.

My old roommate bought a Wii U on launch day and we spent around 6 months passing that thing around and generally beating the poo poo out of it. It can handle the abuse. I'm sure Nintendo still has a firm grasp of what it takes to make a console outlast the tests of abusive children and manchildren alike. When I was about 7 or 8, I got the original Game Boy for Christmas. When it used to frustrate me (Mario Tennis, Castlevania) I'd set it on the ground screen facing up, and put all of my weight on one heel on the screen. I must have done that dozens of times, and that thing still works.

Also, you can get that same charging cradle & plain cradle for $6 at Gamestop! I'd expect something like that to be $20 or more, but it's only $6. It rules, especially if you've got a coffee table right in front of (or to the side of) you. Or, if you order from Amazon often enough, it's just under $4 there.

Crowbear posted:

And still eligible for a free eShop game if registered by 7/31!

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 6, 2014

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Crowbear posted:

Glorious. Just picked this up and a refurb system.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Deal gone already?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Deal gone already?

Yep, looks like it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Nevermind, emailed them and they gave me the price. So now I own Mario Kart 8 and no Wii U.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Comrade Flynn posted:

Deal gone already?

Holy poo poo, I actually got in on one of Amazon's weird anomaly flash sales? Should have got a lottery ticket.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PantsBandit posted:

Ya know, I like 3D World a lot but I can say in no uncertain terms that I think the recent Rayman games have been both better platformers and prettier.

As someone who plays platformers very frequently, it is extremely puzzling to me how people compare 2D and 3D platformers in this manner.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

As someone who plays platformers very frequently, it is extremely puzzling to me how people compare 2D and 3D platformers in this manner.

I mean, there are certain aspects that hold true between 2D and 3D. Tightness I'd controls, level design, music, that sort of thing. Plus 3D world is somewhere between 2D and 3D anyways in terms of gameplay.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
3D World seems to be in this weird place where if someone compares it (favorably or unfavorably) to a 2D game, someone will say "you can't compare a 3D game to a 2D game" but if someone compares it to a 3D game like Mario Galaxy, someone will say "well, you can't compare the two because 3D World is really more like a 2D game that's in 3D".

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
So this is supposedly a leaked image of Nintendo's E3 booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Argue posted:

3D World seems to be in this weird place where if someone compares it (favorably or unfavorably) to a 2D game, someone will say "you can't compare a 3D game to a 2D game" but if someone compares it to a 3D game like Mario Galaxy, someone will say "well, you can't compare the two because 3D World is really more like a 2D game that's in 3D".

That's silly. I would absolutely compare Galaxy to 3D World - they control very similarly, although 3D World is ultimately less floaty and a little more restricted. There's a clear consistency in level design ideology present between Galaxy 2 and 3D World, even though visuals have some very different though. Mario's made to move in 3D in 3D World - even in the very 2D-like sections of 3D World you're not locked into 2D like you are in Galaxy 2.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, there are certain aspects that hold true between 2D and 3D. Tightness I'd controls, level design, music, that sort of thing. Plus 3D world is somewhere between 2D and 3D anyways in terms of gameplay.

I would not compare "tightness of controls" in a 2D and 3D platformer, personally, especially when 3D World and Rayman Legends try to accomplish distinctly different things with their movement styles. I also wouldn't compare level design, no matter how "2D" 3D World is, especially not when level design is, again, entirely dependent on what you wish to accomplish with your game. I would sooner compare NSMBU and Rayman, since they both have you brought up to top speed within little time, both consist of you holding a direction while jumping at the right time, and both are twitchier experiences than your typical 3D platformer. The most ideal comparison would be between titles like DKCR and Origins - those are games with fairly similar ideals.

• Locked thread