Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's a good fire strength weapon to use with flame weapon?

Also, what's the deal with not being able to cast the throne defender buff as well as having another weapon buffed with flame weapon? Your dude does the animation and the weapon takes durability, but you don't get the damage buff or the visual.

That's a glitch that happens for some reason.

For big heavy weapons with innate fire, you want either Iron King Hammer (50 str) or Smelter's Sword (40 str). Both have typical greathammer/ultragreatsword movesets, but their r2s do fire explosions, allowing you to hit twice with them. The Smelter's Sword is very good imo, even with being buffed.

e: This is a good video on the Iron King hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcaDWHiSEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's a good fire strength weapon to use with flame weapon?

Also, what's the deal with not being able to cast the throne defender buff as well as having another weapon buffed with flame weapon? Your dude does the animation and the weapon takes durability, but you don't get the damage buff or the visual.

420 Burger King Greatsword every single day

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

White Phosphorus posted:

The best DS1 stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/kelsifer

The dude is completely green. His first souls game.

This guy is killin' me, Smalls. Watching him bang his head of the graveyard skeletons is magical.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If this guy somehow ends up going to Crypt first it will be the saddest thing ever.

Has anyone actually done that by accident? I know one guy that started with the Master Key went to Blighttown first and did the whole place backwards, but I've never heard of someone actually having Pinwheel be their first boss fight.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Odd. The colors on his screen seem very strange.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't think much of the Thorned Greatsword before, since in terms of damage it's straight up inferior to the Defender's Greatsword, but the r2s, especially if you do the followups, are pretty good at catching people, and they're pretty strong when the sword is buffed.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Genocyber posted:

I didn't think much of the Thorned Greatsword before, since in terms of damage it's straight up inferior to the Defender's Greatsword, but the r2s, especially if you do the followups, are pretty good at catching people, and they're pretty strong when the sword is buffed.

It's damage is actually not bad, and it has good range with really surprising speed. Pairing it with the defenders is a potent combo.

Also is there any way around that glitch or am I stuck with only having one buffed weapon :smith:

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's damage is actually not bad, and it has good range with really surprising speed. Pairing it with the defenders is a potent combo.

Also is there any way around that glitch or am I stuck with only having one buffed weapon :smith:

Can you buff the Thorned Greatsword first?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vanderdeath posted:

Wow, the Royal Rat Authority is a pain in the rear end on NG++. I respect every person that plays pure melee now because this poo poo is rough as hell.

I can't even hit him in my first game as pure melee. Sometimes my Claymore will hit his little rats, but most of the time they'll either phase magically through the blade while also biting me, or my slash will simply do nothing as it passes through all of them.

By this time, The Authority will have already leapt onto me and I will be at 25% health and Toxined.

gently caress that fight, I guess I'm never gonna be a Ratbro.

It's the fact that the same attack will have wildly different outcomes against the little rats that's really making me grind my teeth.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

White Phosphorus posted:

The best DS1 stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/kelsifer

The dude is completely green. His first souls game.

Wow, is that really what the game looked like? I played the poo poo out of that game and I don't remember it looking so...shiny.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

Wow, is that really what the game looked like? I played the poo poo out of that game and I don't remember it looking so...shiny.

it's kinda weird going back to it after playing Dark Souls 2. I did it for a bit and everything is way more bloomy than I remembered.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dirty Job posted:

Yup. It's noticeable if you've played either Dks2 or Demon's. Dks has this weird "clean" look to it that I've always found really ugly.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cardboard Box posted:

it's kinda weird going back to it after playing Dark Souls 2. I did it for a bit and everything is way more bloomy than I remembered.

You're also a bit further away camera-wise. Popped DS2 up in another window and I was a bit thrown off by how close the camera is to the character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardboard Box posted:

It's nice being able to look down in Iron Keep and not immediately having your eyes burned out of their sockets.

quote:

Popped DS2 up in another window and I was a bit thrown off by how close the camera is to the character.

DS2 messes around with the camera in several areas too. It zooms in and focuses when you're in the foggy area of the shaded woods.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't even hit him in my first game as pure melee. Sometime my Claymore will hit his little rats, but most of the time they'll either phase magically through the blade while also biting me, or my slash will simply do nothing as it passes through all of them.

By this time, The Authority will have already leapt onto me and I will be at 25% health and Toxined.

It's the fact that the same attack will have wildly different outcomes against the little rats that's really making me grind my teeth.

Inspector complains loudly on Skype about Rat Authority. I say 'why don't I give him a whirl to see what all the fuss is about.' Walk in, die a couple of times. On the third try kill all the adds in one attack with the Mastadon Halberd, murder the Rat.

Unlike Freya and The Chariot, you cannot ignore the adds. They have to die first and very quickly. After that it is a matter of avoiding his lunge attack, which I found hard to dodge, instantly stagger you if blocking and removed 50+% health if it connects. After that if you position yourself underneath him he can't attack you easily and you whack at his legs.

Immediately after that I went and tried to do the LGK and found him much harder, tbh.

Edit: Half of this post is me giving Inspector poo poo because he was pretty upset about how the add hitboxes were treating him. I'm sorry friend, keep trying and you'll get it to work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I tried it half a dozen times and got a different outcome to pressing R2 every time, so I think I'm going to just not bother.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I tried it half a dozen times and got a different outcome to pressing R2 every time, so I think I'm going to just not bother.

If you mean the Claymore r2s, that's kinda dumb since they're thrusts (albeit followed by sweeps). Your best bet is to 2hand and free aim the r1s while angling the camera downward. You should be able to get all the rats in a couple of hits most of the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You could pull out a different weapon just for the rats, they don't have much health so even an unupgraded one should do the trick if you can hit them consistently. If you have access to pyromancy lingering flame removes any threat the rats pose.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I have 0 attunement slots, and agaisnt every other dog-like enemy, I would R2 + R2 a greatsword, and the thrust would kill the guy I'm locked onto, and then the sweep would finish the rest.

Against the rats, sometimes the stab just doesn't do anything, and then the sweep also does nothing.

Maybe I'll try a halberd or something but my God it's frustrating to see your sword pass through models and do literally 0 damage.

EDIT: I will say, though, that I enjoyed working my way through the Doors of Pharros up to the fog door, the level is actually fun.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 6, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Claymore or bastard sword R1's are actually fantastic for clearing the dogs. Aggro them, wait for them to bunch up coming towards you, then pre-emptively r1 away. The wide sweep is basically perfect for this.

e: for the actual fight after, "roll and then no lock on" right before that boss is actually one of my higher rated comments.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 6, 2014

TurboPriest
Aug 30, 2012
People should not be able to use more that one buff at once, its simply no fun having to slowly whack a glowing quick rolling havel armor for an eternity

Also what the hell are Lloyd's Talisman useless now? they effect seems to fade away immediately for what i can see.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TurboPriest posted:

People should not be able to use more that one buff at once, its simply no fun having to slowly whack a glowing quick rolling havel armor for an eternity

Also what the hell are Lloyd's Talisman useless now? they effect seems to fade away immediately for what i can see.

You're probably not actually hitting them. Unless they're standing still you're gonna have to free aim, like in Dks. If you've procced the effect there'll be a small white aura around their torso, and the effect lasts ~30 seconds.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Genocyber posted:

You're probably not actually hitting them. Unless they're standing still you're gonna have to free aim, like in Dks. If you've procced the effect there'll be a small white aura around their torso, and the effect lasts ~30 seconds.

The fact that it travels through the air like a wadded up wet towel, I feel like it ought to be longer. :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Talisman's ain't worth the souls you spend on them. Just punish estus chugging by hitting them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't even hit him in my first game as pure melee. Sometimes my Claymore will hit his little rats, but most of the time they'll either phase magically through the blade while also biting me, or my slash will simply do nothing as it passes through all of them.

The small rats are probably the dumbest thing about that fight, I had a horrible time with them my first time playing because both my spear and rapier would just stab over them most of the time, leaving me nothing but my way slower halberd. And if you try to use lock-on while the small ratdogs are still alive, the camera can't figure out if you want to look straight down or straight up as it furiously pivots between the Authority's head and the ratdogs, ensuring you'll get toxified in a matter of seconds.

But if you want to join the rat team you can just go to the Grave of Saints. Of course if you want to get the Authority's soul and be able to hand in rat tails at the Door of Pharros you'll need to kill the boss, but otherwise there's absolutely nothing behind the authority.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Man, no idea how I'm going to do the third part of Amana in my punch-only runthrough. As far as I can tell there's no way to avoid having three guys shooting tracking projectiles at you (that each do about half my healthbar). Nothing's been THAT tough so far, but this feels like it's bordering on impossible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Talisman's ain't worth the souls you spend on them. Just punish estus chugging by hitting them.

In my experience if you don't have an aoe or something to get around walls, they'll just start sprinting, duck to the first corner, and take a swig, and you'll poke them just in time to heal, especially in the belfries. Though I've only hit two or three people ever with those talismans anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EvilCornbread posted:

Man, no idea how I'm going to do the third part of Amana in my punch-only runthrough. As far as I can tell there's no way to avoid having three guys shooting tracking projectiles at you (that each do about half my healthbar). Nothing's been THAT tough so far, but this feels like it's bordering on impossible.

There should never be more than two shooting at you (aside from the area after the third bonfire, but it's easy to block at least one's with the terrain). All you have to do to avoid the projectiles is to just walk forward at an angle to them; they'll miss you completely.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You can throw Lloyd's at mimics to tell them to get hosed.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

EvilCornbread posted:

roll like an idiot

The real tough part is any drat Archdrakes. You can parry them if you have balls of steel, do some mad leashing if you don't.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 6, 2014

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There should never be more than two shooting at you (aside from the area after the third bonfire, but it's easy to block at least one's with the terrain). All you have to do to avoid the projectiles is to just walk forward at an angle to them; they'll miss you completely.
The NPC invasion there REALLY doesn't help either. :-/ Seems like there's a higher density of the underwater creature things too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EvilCornbread posted:

The NPC invasion there REALLY doesn't help either. :-/ Seems like there's a higher density of the underwater creature things too.

The NPC only invaders if you go into the middle of that part. And if you really don't feel up to it, you can pretty easily run through to the fog door.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

EvilCornbread posted:

I think the NPC invasion might be the scariest part, but I also think you can bait him back as far as the cave.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Well, gently caress. My save got corrupted by the power flickering and my last backup save is from aeons ago. :suicide:

VAC is still off, right? I won't get banned for CEing myself some souls and such, I hope. I don't mind replaying through but I refuse to grind up (Asceticing the Shrine) the mats to upgrade my weapons again, mostly because my save is so far away from that point.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

The NPC only invaders if you go into the middle of that part. And if you really don't feel up to it, you can pretty easily run through to the fog door.

Yeah seems like as long as I stick to the left the phantom never shows up. Unlike the first two sections which were very charge-and-roll-like-mad, this section is more cower-behind-pillars-and-run. Works though!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Vanderdeath posted:

Well, gently caress. My save got corrupted by the power flickering and my last backup save is from aeons ago. :suicide:

VAC is still off, right? I won't get banned for CEing myself some souls and such, I hope. I don't mind replaying through but I refuse to grind up (Asceticing the Shrine) the mats to upgrade my weapons again, mostly because my save is so far away from that point.

Go for it. It's off until further notice.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
So, I am currently doing a NG+ run while rocking a couple of Caestus and in Power Stance. As of No Man's Wharf, I'm really having a ton of fun with this build. However, I realized that I can take this build to the next level with Pyromancy added to it. Or more specifically, Immolation, Flame Weapon, and either Fireball or Toxic Mist. Other than the obvious Pyromancy Flame I will get shortly but neglected to do so in my NG run, what else should I prepare for if I wanna do this kind of build? Right now, my noteworthy stats include 40 STR/DEX for max damage with Normal Caestus and 15 ATN/15 INT/6 FTH.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 6, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know if I should play with the skin color so it's not jet black, but this is what my new character is going to look like and I'm just about ready to finalize it!

Make sure to turn music volume all the way down and have banjo music playing constantly in the background.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Will the Soul Vessel appear in the Majula chest if you go offline, and then turn into Somethings when you go back online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I ran upstairs to the only chest in the mansion and it's still open from before (ie, unopenable to get a new item). Am I missing something?